3rd strike tier list

doesn t sean have a super jump cancel with his close HK?

Thongboy:
Seanā€™s supers arenā€™t crap.
SAIII is very good, itā€™s crazy fast, has multiple high and low hit confirms, can punish almost everything on reversal (even things like Ken max range standing roundhouse).
If it did more damage, or did it have 2 bars, Sean would be scary and mid tier.
Heā€™s more well rounded than 12 or Q. Those to surely perform better in some matches, and are awkward so the can catch people off more easily (i think very few people have experience against solid Q/12s. Threating Sean like a weakened shoto is already good against him so people wonā€™t be caught off guard against him too easily).

The 3 still suck.

The only good thing about Q is that he can capitalize a LOT on a random parry thanks to the big damage he can deal and the free taunts he can get after catching you.
3s system allows this, being random somewhat pays for some characters.
Still, randomness =/= solidness.
People wonā€™t really win tournaments on randomness.
In single casual matches, everything can happen.

Itā€™s just an easy link.
So he doesnā€™t even need to learn something out of standard execution.

Uh ā€¦ yeeeah, thatā€™s it. What planet are you on? I wonā€™t even mention the blatant lie that is Sean having crap supers. All three of his Super Arts are excellent and deal very nice damage. They can, as Hol Horse said be cancelled from normal attacks, much in the same manner as the brothers.

What you said about this doesnā€™t make any sense, really, since itā€™s not true. The most reliable for Q is close st. MK. Uhm, okay. Seanā€™s got both high and low.

His specials are pretty hit or miss depending on the reation of your opponent. Iā€™ve caught many with his funky kick, usually after training them to block several low attacks. His tackle sucks balls though, I must admit.

Personally, Iā€™d say Q and Sean are in the same league.

I think sean is better than q because he has shoto c.mk and sweep. he can also do short short super, and has a ryu crossup.

sean is in theory better then q but iā€™ve never seen anyone do well with sean even in japan and i have a vid of a japanese sean from a tourney but i see q players win

Personally I think the bottom three are Twelve, Sean, and then Q. The reason I put Sean above Q is, more or less, his shoto-ness and lesser dependence on randomness. He has the best dash in the game, so all those cool tricks are there. He can cancel/link to supers from both standing and crouching attacks, including the nicely-ranged shoto classic crouching forward. He has a dragon punch which, while admittedly crappy compared to others, at least makes it harder to lock him down than it is to lock down Q. And yeah, his supers are just fine. They arenā€™t the best in the game, but they certainly arenā€™t the worst. Sean without bar canā€™t really deal big damage, thatā€™s true, but at least he can somewhat control the match and has some real options. Q, by contrast, has very few options against the majority of the cast. Sucky normals, only one good normal cancel to super, no good hit confirm, no way to get to super with crouching attacks, sucky dash, no normal overhead, slow as crap. All he really has going for him is his ability to take damage, and against many a character (especially when the opponent has bar) itā€™s difficult/risky to taunt. Yeah, he can deal out huge pain in just a combo or two, but the chances of actually landing a capture and deadly blow or a super without capitalizing on a parry or an opponentā€™s mistake are pretty low. Basically, I think Q depends on randomness more than Sean, and thatā€™s why I rank him lower. That said, I donā€™t rank him much lower than Sean, both of them suck ass. I think thereā€™s a considerable gap between Twelve and Sean/Q.

Those who made lists: justify your Elena placement?

Iā€™m not arguing the spot(she desperately needs a combo besides her EX, and a wakeup game would be nice), I just want to know what you think.

Why must you turn my office into a HOUSE OF LIES?

You canā€™t make Sean better by ā€˜iffingā€™. Deal with the character as he is right now.

Sean DOES NOT HAVE GOOD COMBOS. Lacking a super, all of his combos are mediocre at best. His uppercut has no range, so itā€™s too unreliable to combo into on auto-pilot. Except for EX hurricane, which doesnā€™t even knock down, his specials all leave him at a disadvantage, or exact same recovery at best.

He is NOT better than Twelve or Q. Just saying it doesnā€™t make it true. Twelve and Q have good specials. Sean does not. Twelve and Q have decent, damaging combos. Sean does NOT. Twelve has the best mobility in the game. Q has the best defense. Sean has ā€œokā€ normals and terrible specials. What part of this leaves anything to question?

Weā€™re not talking about mallscrub casual here. Real players know the matchups, and arenā€™t completely shut down by gimmicky bullshit. I play against some of the best comp in anyoneā€™s country, full-time Twelve, and I break about even in the win/losses against the high-high players. I got two perfects last weekend against random Kenscrubs. Iā€™m currently undefeated outside of LA with Twelve.

Whereā€™s your Sean experience?

N

I take offense to that. Everyone knows that paulee = OG Kenscrub. By using that exact punctuation and spelling, youā€™re implying that you beat me. I expect a correction.

Iā€™m also still waiting for you to live up to your Necro v. Necro challenge for $100.

Aside from that, Sean has decent supers and the only reason people donā€™t play him seriously, is that Ken does everything Sean does, but better. Sean is not horrible, due to having basic shoto moves and links. Sean >> Q.

Iā€™m glad you didnā€™t address my post Thongboy, since that means (and get ready for it)

I AM RIGHT AND YOU ARE WRONG. TRA LA LA LA

:party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party:

Iā€™ve never seen any Sean play though Iā€™ve seen plenty of Q. I have played Sean though, and for some reason, many of my opponents have said his Supers are very good and do an obscene amount of damage. He plays more on the idea that no one really knows him all that well. Unfortunately, that doesnā€™t last too long, and playing Sean for a lengthy amount of times gets your tactics discovered fast.

None of those other kenscrubs meant anything to me. You know that.

Iā€™d rather play Twelve on Twelve, if thereā€™s an option. Iā€™m kind of sick of Necro. Itā€™s still on any time you see me, though. MLG Frisco?

If Sean were in any way as good as Q, wouldnā€™t there be at least ONE well-known Sean player? Itā€™s instant fame, if anyone was good with Sean people would jock the guy forever. When you mention Q, people immediately yap about Riki, TK, Kuroda, anyone whoā€™s ever done even passably well as Q. Hell, there arenā€™t even match vids of me up anywhere and people still mention me and Twelve in the same breath. So where are the Sean heroes?

They donā€™t exist. Sean is crap.

N - Sonic, wait 240 seconds for your spanking.

Donā€™t the Japanese tier Sean above Q?

i would put remy below elena then ibuki

ibuki/remy/elena seem to be in the same tier for me because all 3 work off gimmicks without actual landing big damage without using bar.

I have a really hard time placing these three. To me theyā€™re all about equal, but thats just how I feel.

Elena has a pretty decent high/low mixup, a couple REALLY good normals (c.strong and b+roundhouse come to mind) and she can do good damage with meter. But really only with meter.

Ibuki has tons of chains, and she can hit stuff off of a one hit poke (c.strong xx spin kick, neutral s.forward xx spin kick, both do okay damage and build a decent amount of meter) Also, her c.roundhouse, s.roundhouse chain, then superjump cancel fierce, f+forward chain is some good damage. All of her supers have their uses, and its pretty easy to land all of them if you know how to use them. SAI is all about EXā€™s and chip, SAII revolves mostly around using it on someone stupidly hovering over you on wakeup or hiting c.strong/s.forward into her command dash, then supering, and SAIII connects from any supercancellable poke she hasā€¦ it also hits low, does decent damage for the size of the bar, and builds really really fast. But Ibuki has no life. And no stun. And she needs to get alot of hits to win.

Remyā€¦ well, Ever, you know Remy. He has some good damaging comboes without meter, but really only in the corner (c.fierce, short CBK, RRF; also neutral throw -> RRF). His normals are pretty damn good, mostly his strong, crouching and standing, his forward has good range/priority, and his f+forward still confuses people because its an overhead but looks odd. He keeps away well, and EX RRF has got to be hands down one of the best wakeups Iā€™ve ever seen in 3rd Strike. I donā€™t think Iā€™ve EVER seen it get stuffed, and I play Remy ALOT.

All in all, I play all three of these characters competatively, and have used all 3 in tournaments. Iā€™ve also done tournies with Sean and placed decently. I have yet to really play in a major tournament for 3S since people in my area JUST starting playing it competatively this year and Iā€™ve been on the game for about 2~3 years.

1 Like

If your opponent gets hit with Seanā€™s overhead kick, heā€™s an idiot. End of story. Like I said, weā€™re talking about Actual Comp, not scrub school.

Q has hella-damage, but few ways of setting it up. Sean has barely-medium damage, and EVEN LESS RELIABLE ways of getting in. Against Q, the opponent has to be wary of getting command-thrown or kara-thrown (best in the game) the whole time. Q also has enough defense after taunting to attempt more risky setups with much less worry than anyone else. Sean has to try for gimmicky bollocks that often shouldnā€™t work THE FIRST TIME, and every special he has leaves him open. Every one.

Q has multiple setups into taunt. Sean has a basketball. Q has a command throw. Sean has a (vulnerable) roll.

WHICH CHARACTER IN THE ENTIRE FUCKING GAME DOES NOT HAVE SUPERS THAT ARE CANCELLABLE FROM NORMAL ATTACKS? ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

N - Oh. The pain.

I want Q to be top-tier in the next sf.

1 Like

Sean has a basketball.

Q has a hat and shiney shoes.

1 Like

Sean actually may not be the worst character. But he is definately the worst choice of character, as mentioned your completely better off with one of the other 3! shotos.

1 Like

You shouldnā€™t be using Seanā€™s specials. They suck, they leave you open, thatā€™s totally true. Donā€™t use them. Just the same with some of Qā€™s normals. Standing fierce sucks. It leaves you open. Donā€™t use it. Some characters have useless stuff. The fact that these two have useless stuff is one of the things that makes them suck, no doubt. But Sean still has decent/good normals, better normals than Q has, for the most part. I disagree that Sean has less reliable ways of getting in. Qā€™s game is basically walk backwards, throw out a dash punch here and there, try to karathrow the opponent into the corner, and hope to get lucky. His only way of getting in is the easily outprioritizeable (totally a word) dash punch. Itā€™s basically safe if blocked, thatā€™s true; thatā€™s one of the few cool things about Q. But Sean has a great dash, he can cross up, and he can play better footsie. Obviously those things donā€™t make him good, but I think they do make him not-worst. Neither has reliable ways of getting in, but Q has fewer.

And I hardly think that looking at the number of well-known players who use a character is a good indication of a characterā€™s worth. Most people choose their character based on which is good and which is interesting; Sean is neither. Q at least is really interesting and fun to play with, which is why I use him. Sean, meh, I think heā€™s boring and retarded. If was gonna use a shoto, Iā€™d use one of the better ones. Seems like thatā€™s a pretty common perception.