1/4 block auto-block and 1/6 block auto throw tech: effective destruction of SFxT

The amount of trust in Capcom is amusing and troubling. It’s hard to comment on such ardent fanboyism. Especially from someone who isn’t willing to fully address the issue of people giving up on online play and who says things like “Wait for the DLC to get the real game”.

That’s a fair view point, and for the most part I agree that online is a pretty important part of more recent games – but at the same time, I maintain that having bad online or bad netcode isn’t an immediate death blow for a game. King of Fighters 13 has terrible netcode and yet it maintains solid standing in the competitive community.

Exactly. It is indeed, disturbing, to see people actually praise SFXTekken, even when the ignorance and outright incompetence from the developer is crystal clear.

Shrugs Online is important for those who don’t have solid competition in their area, or who lazy/oblivious to the community around them. The Initial Point however was that Ranked matches =/= online play nor =/= the meat of the game(T6/KOFXIII don’t have good online but still have/had good tournament success) It’s why I feel that a game can still survive without online, because it’s happened before, i’ve never doubt online could help a either…just that the current problem is stemming from online…and rather a certain online mode. I don’t see how I can be any clearer then this.

I have enjoyed Capcom games for a long time, and I am enjoying them now. Why should I not trust Capcom to make a game I will enjoy.

I agree it isn’t a death blow, but the community will be unnecessarily smaller that it could be.

Taking KoF 13 as an example, I recently decided to get into KoF casually. After reading about 13’s netcode, I dropped the idea of playing it and started with 98 on PC instead, because it plays well on GGPO.

It be that SRK logic, you like something no one else does, you instantly dick riding the publisher/developer…You state why, it translates to you blowing the publisher…you defend them, your instantly white knighting them. See the the trend?

Exactly–as it is now it’s like if playing UMvC3 ranked matches might send you up against someone using Heralds and Heroes cards, with no way to tell beforehand.

KOF is my favorite game since I was a kid but since it has bad netcode I have to play sfxt:(

Ryu and Raven both need some serious nerfing.

If you’re really a super-competitive gamer then you know that online isn’t the only place where things matter. To me it’s funny how all of the people using assist gems are going to develop all of these bad habits, but they’re still chasing BP. Like what the heck does BP even do for you? You can’t unlock anything with it.

On the other hand, I like how there is at least some sort of ranking system, so I can search for matches of high level players and look forward to someday being good enough to compete with high level B’s and A’s. Online opens up so many options for play that wouldn’t be available on a daily basis. If you’ve got a lot going on in your life and you don’t have the luxury of owning an arcade or having a harem of live in sex slaves that play fighting games with you, then you’re missing opportunities with poor online or crappy online. Also, unlike shooters, you get something back from playing a lot of random opponents online.
This doesn’t mean that the developer should be lazy. I think SFxT has a lot going for it and I’m going to continue to play, but I’d never give it a high score just because they put the bare minimum of play modes. On this generation of consoles, we should expect more. I bought Tekken just to play face to face VS, but the Tekken Force story mode is a nice plus that makes me appreciate what the developers were willing to do before releasing a game.

Omg, all you tournamentalists are hilarious! You’re confused because on these boards you make up a significant percentage, but in real life you make up 1% of the consumers who buy this game! That’s not even an exaggeration. Nowadays online capability is extremely important to a game’s future and the company’s ability to stay involved with said game.

It’s perfectly possible to make an awesome game that develops healthy at the tournament scene but has horrible online play and therefore doesn’t sell well and doesn’t get noticed by as many people. This is disastrous nowadays as the majority of consumers look to online play as their means of facing other human opponents for fun. Yeah, that’s right. FUNNNN. Not competitive tournaments, but good ol’ fun. That’s what the overwhelming majority of people buy this game for, and they get their competitve fill simply by fighting online.

Don’t fool yourself by thinking that just because tournaments are held that a game/game series is surviving well. It’s all about money, and good online play goes a long way in generating consumer interest to buy (and keep) the game and get companies the money they need to pour more time into perfecting them/ creating new iterations. Tournaments are nothing more than a side effect that occurs when a MINORITY of the consumers decide to come together to fight because they appreciate the game’s quality. That’s a nice thing, but not a good way to judge a games success/survival. You really should be looking at it from a money standpoint.

Standard Gamestop employee mentality, you must work there.

Gamestop employees tell you tons of things are fun. Cause fun can always mean sales right?

if Hardcore/Casual fans of Capcom must avoid online play because of DLC gems then Capcom clearly fucked up. Hell, the fact that gems needs to be banned even means that Capcom has failed to balance the gems. You should not have to skip online play, and ban gems offline.

I bet you KOFXIII will stay around just fine without it, just like Tekken 6 being at EVO for 3 years with it’s shitty online…STFU. From a money standpoint why are publishers investing money in tournaments in the first place? o_O Especially if your argument is stating that us tournament goers make up 1% of the consumers…but wait lets back up for a moment.

If there were no tournaments…there would be no need for Markman to keep making new TE’s or MLG(esports), streams, broken tier wouldn’t exist, there would be no huge exposure for fighting games…but but casuals are the main consumer even though they drop the game in a months time and move on to the next game. they are the main demographic that Capcom, Namco, Atlus, and etc are looking at because it’s obviously them who are keeping the game alive right? really dude STFU…you just insulted 90% of the people on this board with that post alone.

But if you look at games like t6, it has one of the lowest turnouts at evo. They survive, but they aren’t healthy

chances are, if your not a capcom fighter, it was slim to begin with…

As a fan you have to want the game to sell. It’s been how many years since the last good KoF came out? It’s been 13 years since Garou and no sequel? I don’t want companies fearing to make an investment or, even worse, going bankrupt because it’s bad for the genre. If the genre is doing well then we get those sleeper hits like Darkstalkers with their own mechanics and their own fans.
Also remember what got your interest in fighters in the first place. Maybe it was the arcade scene, but that’s not what it used to be. More likely it was the presentation and the idea that you could play it too, even if you can’t beat the ‘big kid’ who knew all of the moves. It’s the same way today: a game gets a good rep and the salesperson can recommend it because of X, Y, and Z. Next thing you know more people are playing it seriously and the game does well.
If a buyer is looking at a new fighter and then a new God of War or Call of Duty or something, it comes down to what he gets for his cash. The game has to have something worth doing in single player and it has to have online.

I’m glad there’s a tournament scene and that there are games that stay around because they are considered to be so high level, like Third Strike. I know I’m not a tournament caliber player but all of the promotion that comes off of them and expert players make fighters into a real hobby and not just light entertainment or a pastime. Tournament scenes only go so far though. Like I was saying earlier, there is no one type of marketing. Someone who walks into a store and says ‘yeah, I remember Street Fighter on Genesis, maybe I’ll get the new one’ has to be kept in mind. Ignore him, and it’s shooters that get all of the sales and the hobby becomes niche.

True. But having good online may have helped it more. But again, it may not have. But its silly to not focus a lot on strong online, which everyone is getting better with.

Bottom line. Don’t need these gems, these companies need better tutorials and need to look at vf4 as the golden standard and properly teach players

Wow, take it easy Chris Crocker. You’re only insulted because you can’t get off your high horse and accept facts. Maybe if you could you would realize my post is not an insult, it’s simply an observation of economics. And where did I say there’s no need for tournaments? I simply said that online capability is a key feature for a game doing economically well nowadays, much more so than the tournament scene. So if you want your game to continue to receive the most time,effort, and money poured into it, then you would want it’s online capabilities to be done very well so that it appeals and sells to as many consumers as possible.