1/4 block auto-block and 1/6 block auto throw tech: effective destruction of SFxT

I wasn’t saying SF4 is better. I was just noting the irony in someone saying the game is more fun than SF4 because it doesn’t have “get a knockdown == win mechanics”, when the gems allow you to basically win by just getting a life lead, meter and an auto-block gem.

Stop discussing it here you goofs, go and tweet Ono/Seth your displeasure. Oh and be civil.

Fair enough.

Eugh. If you don’t know why these gems effectively destroy the game, then you don’t know anything about fighting games.

I sent my tweet to Seth & Ono, make sure you guys send yours.

I’m still not convinced of a time out problem. Like people have said, we’re not using our options as we should be. I seldom ever use meter for anything other than super and cross art/cross assault, so I rarely see time outs because my opponent doesn’t have any life to recover.

My post should be interpreted in the context of the thread it was posted in. If you have the new autogems, a life lead, and meter, you pretty much win the round.

This is me - I can kind of enjoy Marvel games and love to watch the craziness, but I just cannot grasp them enough to play them consistently. SF4 I love it for the most part but coming from older KOF games and Tekken, it feels so… stiff, I dunno. Like it went a little too far back for my tastes.

SFxT ended up hitting a lot of the right spots for me. I still play a ton of other fighters as I wait for Tag 2, but I’ve been having the most fun with this game. That’s why I’m hoping it’s improved, rather than just dropping the game because everyone else dropped it.

It’s obvious the auto-gems need to go ASAP though, no doubt.

After looking back at this in retrospect, it’s ironic.
when Gems were first announced the initial speculation was that they’ll be useless and for the most part wouldn’t change the game, however we are at the point now in where they broke the game? seriously? it’s either one way or another with these people.

anyways, i guess today i’ll put in the work in evaluate the online community and see how they are using these gems and how often this particular issue arises. i’ll also work with the people in the anti-assist gem thread for some general info and ways in detecting which Assist Gem they are using and find ways to get around them(if possible at this time).

What bugs me is that the gems are an irrelevancy, they mean nothing for the real competitive scene of the game. At what point did we start caring about online ranked so much? Last I remember, 2 years ago when I first started getting really competitive everyone told me that you couldn’t be competitive and only play online, and yet now, suddenly, online is the benchmark we use to determine whether or not a game should be respected?

I find that ridiculous… netcode improvement be damned, I can tell you that I’ve been playing online off and on in these games for a while and I’ve never learned as much as I did in the past few weeks actually becoming part of my local scene…

I like sfxt…fuck all yall haters. BRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT…my FOFO make sure all ya kids dont grow!!!

lol im so tired of the hate…

Believe it or not, online is completely relevant. If it wasn’t, then you wouldn’t have guys like wolfkrone or latif be beasts. You wouldn’t see Japan have full blown legit tourneys using online. Opinions have changed over the years about online play, online still sucks for people with crap internet, and you can’t sway their opinion. Online play is not perfect, and it has its flaws, but it is incredibly useful. So I wouldn’t be so dismissive to the mode, especially for sfxt, which has some of the best, if not THE BEST, netcode in a fighter, IMO.

well in truth, it matters to the online warriors, as they may not have a strong offline scene. to them, it matters a great deal as it’s their only way to get solid competition. it doesn’t help with the online community is this fucked up though…so a end by saying that, sure offline none of these gem problems are relevant as Gems in short are banned…but online they are fair game and it’s effect doesn’t just apply to use but to causal’s and pro players alike who are online warriors themselves…

I understand that, but I mean I hear people complaining about this -at- events.

I think you severely underestimate how many people lay online these days. I think that’s where your problem is. Every top player plays online now, its a viable mode. So it does have a large effect on the game, when it comes to practice

It happens im sure, but the most you can say is that…it really doesn’t effect the offline scene all that much if any besides people wont but using online as a testing zone, it’ll be more centered around offline gatherings or events. there are already games in the FGC that are mostly offline scenes so this isn’t much of an issue, people just make it seems that way.

personally I think people have a right to be concerned but it goes way past that when you here the same old negative comments like “go play this game” or “gems ruined this game forever, its a piece of shit, etc.” The fucked up part is, there is a chance that even if the game is fixed…it sill may not be enough to win people over…

yeah. thats what i sad in one of my earlier posts. i have offline comp, but online is very good for when you need a living training dummy to test new shit at 2am in the middle of the week.

fucking up the online practice aspect only serves to set things back a bit

also, you people who were bad at sf4 are over blowing the vortex thing

Yeah, if the game dies I’m probably done with fighters for a while. Tired of every game I actually enjoy getting shit constantly until it turns into something I don’t like anymore.

If online dies I’d say the game is pretty much on life support.

Hmm… the angle I’m looking at it from is that I’d actually like to see gems in an actual tournament, and the mere presence of these new auto-guard gems just fly in the face of actually thinking during a match or actually teaching someone how to do things properly. That and they’re broken. :-p

Admittedly, I played a couple matches yesterday and didn’t run into any, but I’ll have a lot more matches today to learn what the deal really is.

I might be inclined to agree with that, mostly. I think online plays a big role in the overall scene success of the game. People bitch about gems cuz most people play online these days.