Zangief Video Thread

very nice. this is kinda of how i play gief with less jumping, but i cant really tell you not to jump here as the moron you were playing wouldn’t stop it. One critique though after a jumping hard kick blocked or other wise dont do cr jab do 6HP, it is a true block string and hitconfirms into lariat combo if they are standing or cr mp if crouching. it is always the best option after j hk blocked or hit.

on a j splash do cr med punch as there is not enough blockstun to make 6hp a true blockstring.

jabs after jump ins was a bad habit i had to break as well, the white life on blocked mediums or heavies is to awesome to just not take advantage of.

Here is another one from last night. This guy isn’t very good, but I thought I used my jabs very well. Again, any input at all is appreciated. I feel very strongly I need to work on my Parry game and work on using V reversals, as I never use them at this point. Also, sometimes I do unsafe things, or non-efficient things, and I am aware of this, but please, point them out. All critique helps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LW3ZJhnIRzk

Okay, so
Jump in > sweep needs to go.
Don’t do spd on your wakeup and random lariats.
You have 0 mixup on their wakeup. You did cr jab. If it hit, it’s whatever, but if they reversal you, it can be lights out, not worth the risk.
When you see they blocked v trigger don’t hold it, wasting vtrigger like this is a big no-no.
Did you not quickrise/backrise at all? Free mixup for Mika

For the most part from what I’ve seen you have no idea what to do when you knock them down, if you work on thst, you will get a significant boost.

I agree completely. Here are my “options” now. By “options”, I mean the bad things I do on their wakeup…

1. Try and spd them on their wakeup

2. Bulldog then block, ready to tech a throw. I like to try and suss out wakeup DP and Cannon Spikes and stuff. I usually will only do this once I have gone for a wakeup spd one or two times, and they think I’m trying again.

3. Neutral Jump HP. One of the reasons I like to wakeup jab them is because between doing that and wakeup spd they end up trying to wakeup throw me the next time they go down. I then punish the wakeup throw with this. I like that I can combo it to CA.

4. Crouch Jabs. I dunno. It comes out fast and I’m a pussy lol.

Here is what I guess I “should” be doing? Please please feel free to correct me lol.

1. Meaties. Learn them and use them properly. From what I understand this is a move you throw when they are waking up and their only option are block or get hit? Then you have frame advantage for your next move? Or you tick throw them?

2. I don’t know what else? Wakeup SPD? Cross up body splash?

3. I guess another big part of it is my reliance on j spd. I’m so afraid of whiffing I almost always use jab. If I used fierce when I am supposed to, my positioning for their wakeup would be much better.

Thanks again for the help.

I need to go into the lab and play with quickrise/backrise, I haven’t used them at all.

Yeah, if you couldn’t tell from my posts yesterday and today I picked this up and sort of said… Okay V-Skill, V-Trigger, Alpha (V) Counter (reversal), I get this. I didn’t look into a lot of the 5 nuances like Crush Counters, wakeup position options, etc. When I went home from work yesterday and combo’d CA from a thousand different moves I looked back at yesterdays posts and felt kind silly lol.

Not really related - I’ve been working really really hard on going 632147 or 632148 (facing right) and getting the jump spd out as low to the ground as possible. I think if I can get it so that I can do it on reaction it can be a massive tool.

Lets do the quick and dirty basic stuff first: (wakeup Oki)
If you land sweep, l or medium spd = for the most part you can’t do anything out of it if they quick rise, so forward dash and block.

You land cc sweep. Basic options are:
6HP and heavy spd.

Lets do a little flow chart.
You land cc sweep, dash in >
a) 6Hp > lk > lariat
b) Heavy spd > dash in > medium spd

You land ex spd >
a) walk > ex-spd
b) step > hk (CC, catches backdashes) > hk or ex air spd
c) step > hp (CC, beats mashing buttons)

I really want to see some filldoh and gunmad videos. Upload em fellas!

Ok. More lingo I don’t understand.

6HP? Is that standing hp?

How do you upload from ps4? What is the easiest way?

It’s headbutt.

The numbers are directions that correspond to the ordering on a standard number pad (like on a keyboard or phone)

So, 5 would be neutral, 6 is forward, 1 is down-back etc.

Old fighting game lingo

think of your arcade stick(or pad) like a calculator

For a move like Hadoken(fireball) with RYU the input would be 236 P

i am really showing my age now since i have been in the arcades since 92, but it worked my in old days :slight_smile:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SccHTU9spDA
~first day match. I’ll upload some more matches a bit later.

Thanks guys. Helpful here. I’m watching threads closely. Learning a lot here. Slowly gaining LP here.

I would assume uploading directly to youtube from PS4 share. Last night I had to do facebook tho because youtube upload wasn’t working. I then downloaded the mp4 from facebook and uploaded it to youtube today at work.

What I do is just make sure to fav the replay of any match I wanna upload. I then watch the replay later. As soon as it ends I hit share and save the video file. I go to Capture Gallery and trim anything thats there from before the match started. I then choose to share it and choose youtube.

Filldoh and Gunmad thank you so much for all the help. You guys are patient and make a lot of sense.

http://youtu.be/7vYtZq3YuVQ

Dealing with w pesky jumper! This one made me laugh as I was playing.

no worries man, happy to help and happy to see so many new people into fighting games again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvZ2ZAxK6zo&feature=youtu.be

If you’re having the uploading to YouTube error on ps4 go to your notifications, uploads, and delete all of the upload notifications. I had this problem too and that fixed it

If I am still having it I will try. They were doing maintenance on PSN last night (I got a notification on the ps4 when it started, which was a good job by sony i thought) so I just chalked it up to that.

Also, I have been searching and saving matches from the highest LP giefs. Uploading is not an issue for me, should I post a few of them here for us to discuss/dissect?

This is exactly how i play gief, pressure to the corner keep them there. nice job. I probably parry a little more but you v reversal much better than me.