Zangief Combo/Tech Thread: Tips and tricks from the mother land!

Geif doesn’t need combos for big damage, just muscle power!
What Fightpad have you opted for?

So I’m not crazy, I tried it for the life of me and couldn’t get it. I love the range of the l. Spd but is there anything that you can cancel into any of his command grabs???

Hey all,

I have been having trouble with some combos, and I am not sure if it is me or if the combos do not work anymore. Combos such as…

headbutt > cr. strong (st. short) > CA. I have been able to do just the button into CA. Just that I have not been able to get it to work with headbutt.

Also, I would like to know if there are any combos that can go into vtrigger. I know combos work within vtrigger, such as…

headbutt > st. strong > vtrigger > ex air spd.

Thanks.

I’m trying to find out if anything cancels into spd? I use the basic bomb combo but I’m practicing yours as well. I forget that his v trigger acts like a vacuum to get people in range.

Make the computer throw out pokes with characters you have issues with and find out what button you have to counter it. This is key to understanding your characters strengths and limitations.

headbutt > cr.strong > CA still works you just gotta be quick enough.

the only really useful combos into vtrigger are crush counter combos. like st.hp > st.hp > vtrigger > then air spd, or st.hp, or flying body press(puts you right in range for an spd)
you can actually do it off a jump in combo too. for instance, flying body press > cr.hp > vtrigger > et cetera

now if you’re already in vtrigger the best crush counter combo i’ve found is st.hp > f.hp > st.mp > vtrigger > Critical art

Credit to Halfcalorie, gief vskill OS for dealing with vreversals. Pretty damn easy to input, and appears you have time to spd punish, just hard to setup the dummy to do. Gonna see if you can do the same with Headbutt into cr.mp, as that would combo regardless of counterhit unlike 2 cr.mps.

What exactly is the input? :db:+ :mp:, :db:+ :mp: ~ :b:+ :mp: + :mk: ?

Don’t overthink it. All the directions are not necessary, just the down only since he’s using cr.mp there. Its just cr.mp, cr.mp, vskill. The vskill comes basically immediately after the 2nd mp.

nvm

They can quick rise out of the knockdown. The only hard knockdown gief has is Crush Counter sweep.

Here’s a good video reference for zangief’s meaties for anyone that needs it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_PDqE-toGY

I see you’re kinda new here so you might not be aware of this, but traditionally in Street Fighter games a throw (command throws or just normal throw input) will NEVER throw an opponent in block or hit stun. However, for the first time for Zangief in a major SF title, he CAN now use his Critical Art to combo opponents in hit stun (still doesn’t work on block stun). This wasn’t possible in SFIV, and it represents a pretty big buff to Zangief in terms of opportunities to confirm stray pokes into damage with full meter.

Now, something else important to understand is that CANCELING is not the same thing as COMBOING.

Comboing is very simple - it just means that if one move connects, and a certain next move is guaranteed, then it is a combo. This can be because of a link, because of a cancel, or because of a juggle.

Canceling, on the other hand, refers to something very specific. It means that during the active hit frames of a move, you are doing another input that will CANCEL the rest of that move’s animation, and begin the new move from there. With most normal (not special) moves in SFV, there are three kinds of cancels to be aware of: special cancels, super cancels, and V-Trigger cancels. Different moves have some, all, or none of these properties.

For example, let’s look at some Zangief moves you can test in training to better understand this concept:

s.lk - Standing Light Kick is special, super, and V-Trigger cancelable. In training mode, set the CPU to block after first hit, then trying doing s.lk xx Towards+Lariat. As long as you’re in range, this will work every time, because s.lk can be SPECIAL cancelled (canceled into special moves) so it will cancel the rest of s.lk’s active hit frames and recovery frames directly into Lariat, giving you a combo.

You can also combo s.lk into Zangief’s Critical Art by inputting a super very quickly after the s.lk, and the s.lk will again CANCEL directly into the super animation (being able to combo into this specific throw while the opponent is in hit stun is, again, something Capcom introduced to Zangief in this game).

Finally, you can s.lk and CANCEL it into a V-Trigger activation. Note that even though you can cancel the s.lk into a V-Trigger, if you hold the V-Trigger for the spinning arm hits, they will not combo. This speaks to the difference I’m trying to highlight between combos and cancels. This is a cancel, it is not a combo.

Now let’s look at another move…

s.mp - Standing Mid Punch is an important button for Zangief when he is poking to control space. Try in practice mode as much as you like to do s.mp xx Lariat, however, and it will NEVER come out. This is because s.mp is NOT special cancelable; you have to wait for s.mp’s animation to end before you can begin a Lariat.

Similarly, s.mp cannot be cancelled into a Critical Art. However, it can be COMBOED into a critical art by doing the CA as soon as the s.mp recovers. This is a link, and a guaranteed combo, but it is not a cancel.

Finally, s.mp can also be cancelled into a V-Trigger activation, but will not combo. This, again, speaks to the difference between a cancel and a combo.

For my last example…

s.hp - Standing Hard Punch is a big meaty fist to the face. It CANNOT be canceled into a special. s.hp will not cancel into a lariat no matter how hard you try. You simply have to wait for the animation to finish.

Likewise, s.hp ALSO cannot be canceled into Zangief’s CA. However, unlike s.mp it cannot link into CA either, as it pushes the opponent too far away for the throw to connect.

Finally, s.hp CAN be cancelled into V-Trigger activation.

Ok, so this seems long winded, but I needed to establish that concept to make the next point clear:

Just because you can’t COMBO into a command throw doesn’t mean you can’t CANCEL into a command throw.

Command throws are, by definition, special moves. This means that any move which is “special cancelable” (i.e. s.lk, c.lp, s.lp, c.mk, c.mp) can also be CANCELED into a command throw, but this will NEVER combo.

Ok… so if this isn’t a combo, why would you want to do it?

Because sometimes the opponent blocks.

If a move is special cancelable, it doesn’t care if it hits or blocks, it’ll just cancel into the special you inputted regardless. e.g. you can do s.lp xx Spinning Piledriver (aka SPD). The problem with this is that when you CANCEL s.lp (or any of Zangief’s normals, as far as I’ve seen) into SPD, the SPD comes out so fast that the opponent is still in blockstun, and the SPD will whiff (because, remember, you can’t throw someone in blockstun, which is Street Fighter 101).

However, what if you cancel into hcb+k, aka Running Bear Grab, aka RBG. Because RBG takes slightly longer to start up, and moves forward a little bit, if you CANCEL s.lp into RBG, the opponent has enough time to recover from blockstun before the RBG connects, which means it WILL throw them.

Is this super practical? That depends on a lot of factors, but it can be useful for minds games against opponents who are expecting you to press more buttons in your blockstring and can be caught by surprise while blocking. If you know the opponent likes to try to poke you out of your strings, you can also try cancelling into the EX RBG so that the armor on the move will run through the poke and throw them anyway.

This ended up being a really long answer to what I’m sure you thought was a pretty simple question, but I hope this clarifies for you the differences between combos, cancels, why Zangief CAN’T combo into (non-CA) command throws, but CAN cancel into them, and how there are corner cases where this can be practical.

/rant

not some super useful tech info but I think it’s worth sharing.

So after you knock an opposing character down you can instant overhead them as they get up with jumping MK. It has to be timed correctly to work. The smaller characters like Chun, Karin, Cammy, and Sim it’s a lil bit more strict to time it right. Against Birdie you can instant overhead him with jumping MK at anytime. Probably not new tech to most of the people around here since I think this existed in SFIV as well, but no harm will come from mentioning it!

It’s probably not safe after you hit with this so I would reserve it for a match ender, they will never expect an overhead from Gief.

I cannot effing believe I have been trying land raw CA’s since launch day. I’m so annoyed at myself for making assumptions. I guess every time I saw it “combo’d” I just assumed it landed right when the character came out of hitstun, geez…

I am guessing this has already been said elsewhere but u never know:
Air SPD works on tatsu.
Easy punish against a lazy shoto?

You can just punish with spd when they land.

Wouldn’t your block stun stop that? You will likely eat an srk

If you’re talking about a basic, blocked ground tatsu that is guaranteed spd. Just churn while you’re blocking the last hit and press punch when they land. Works every time

Or be like me and wildly start doing a full gate riding churn the moment you go into blockstun from the first hit, lol.

What I learned last night - Playing online matches via Vita using remote play is like using a fungo bat in baseball. When I finally switched back the TV and my arcade stick I was MASTER of execution. Seemed so easy!