Zangief Combo/Tech Thread: Tips and tricks from the mother land!

Hi! This is my first time taking a Street Fighter serious and Zangief is hands down my fave!!! So any tips to share would help me and new Zangief players alike!

I was watching the Chentv and I saw he was air grabbing Shoroyukens!!! Dunno if this still works! Haven’t Ben able to test it since I only played beta before I found out. Does it still work for people who can test?!

Zangief don’t has any boob so not to popular I guess. :frowning:

It just looked sad with the one discussion. Love you Zangief!!!

His Ex Grab can work off of his VTrigger so you can do:

Body Slam -> Cr. HP -> VTrigger (hold) -> EX Air Grab anywhere on screen for close to 436 Damage and 580 Stun

Off of a counterhit ST.Hp you can combo into ST. HK>V trigger EX Air grab.

you don’t need to CH that, as long as you can cancel into vtrigger, the combo works.

i’m not seeing many combos with him. he lacks any special move that isn’t lariat and that only combos from cr. LK.

Well I mean the jump in bnb is like d.HP, cr.MP, cr.LK > Lariat. You have to it pretty deep if you want the Lariat to hit.

His combo options are severely lacking. No enders hurts.

It does, you have to be really close for lariat to hit or have full vtrigger.

I think the Standing Heavy Punch -> V.Trigger -> Climax is awesome. So fun to do.

I also enjoy the V.Trigger -> Ex. Air grab. It seems you have to hit 7-9 times to get the opponent to float high enough to be grabbed.

adding some more

f.HP > s. LK > Lariat [207 / 423]
Body Splash > cr. MK > Lariat [234 / 400]

CC:
s. HP > f. HP xx super [530 / 360]
s. HP > HP spd [336 / 405] (meterless damage)
s. HP > f. HP > s. LK > Lariat [304 / 556] (stun)
s. HP > s. HP xx V-Trigger > EX air SPD [456 / 610]

db sorry

[quote=“Redie, post:12, topic:177835”]

You have to close to your opponent or hold HP :frowning:

When you combo into CA it’s a lot easier to do it in negative edge. Just push down the the c.mp or f+hp, churn that budda and release the button. This works as an option select if you’re waiting for the opponent to forward dash for example. The CA comes out only if the f.HP/c.mk hits because you cancel it.

That negative edge works really well, thanks! It also works after V skill hit, but you have to hold another punch button as well (i.e. lp+mp+mk) and release the mp+mk first then release lp for the negative edge.

Regarding combos into Lariat: since it can be steered holding forward when you do the Lariat will move Gief close enough for it to hit pretty reliably without needing to be balls deep.

Still a major work in progress but just a quick run down of some practicing I did day 1. Many things remain unknown to me still also hard playing on this pad lol. Will definitely be updating this soon when I have some more time to lab

Notable normals-

MK (solid poke little over half of training box range, kinda slow, cannot combo)
cr. LP (best poke, quick, about half of a grid box range)
HK (good damage, almost entire box on grid, slow, causes crush counter
    if you crush counter opponent in air it causes a launch for easy Borscht Dynamite)
HP (good range, good dmg, has armor while charging, causes crush counter)
f+HP aka Headbutt (great damage, good for combos, slow)
LK (good for extending or starting combo)
cr.HP (good anti-air)
cr.HK (sweep, causes crush counter)

Specials-

Lariat- Solid damage, decent ender, goes through, goes through fireballs (including ex)
Siberian Express- has multiple hits of armor when ex
All grabs should be common knowledge, can't be blocked- don't whiff, all do good damage and can be ex'd.

Jump attacks-

Body slam- good damage, large hitbox
LK- quick, not positive but I seem to get good hit advantage
HK- good damage, good for starting combos
MP- good air to air

V-Trigger/V-Skill

V-Skill- activated with MP+MK it gives you armor with an attack at the end (only takes away grey health which can be recovered also receive half stun damage, also easy way to set up critical art)
-can be used for unlimited duration during V-Trigger
V-Trigger- Turn Zangief red, allows unlimited of your V-skill and gain access to Cyclone Lariat
Cyclone Lariat suck opponents in from mid range, deals damage, makes you invulnerable and attacks multiple times ending with a launcher which can easily lead into Borscht Dynamite (or other attacks in air)
-Cyclone Lariat drains V-Trigger very rapidly and can be blocked. (push to do a quick spin which is a good way to mix up blocking opponents if you follow it with a throw)

Combos/Strings-

Meterless mid screen
    f+HP-LK-Lariat (207dmg, 423stun) (easy and quick, make sure to move towards them as you activate Lariat)
        Adding a jump in HK (284dmg,526stun)
    cr.MK-Lariat (150dmg, 280stun) (starts low)
        w/jiHK (234dmg,400stun)
Meter mid screen
    cannot ex Lariat and all other specials are grabs which can be ex'd. Cannot use the grabs mid combo unless opponent is airborne and Zangief's only launcher is Cyclone Lariat unless opponent is crush countered
        this is subject to change I'm still working on this lol
    Critical Art- many normals can be canceled into critical art (note that you will receive slightly less damage due to scaling but get the bonus of making it slightly easier to confirm)
        Also using the V-Skill to armor through a hit then activating critical art is doable
V-Skill
    Cyclone Lariat-Borscht Dynamite (easy convert)
        made easier if done mid combo like on cr.LP-cr.LP-v-trigger-Cyclone Lariat-Borscht Dynamite or if used as a whif punish or to go through projectiles thrown at close enough range

Corner-

Crush counter
    HP-cr.HK (210dmg,315stun,easy convert, getting armor with HP you might find yourself getting this often)
    HK- Borscht Dynamite (288,dmg,360stun, also noted above under normals that this can only be done on airborne opponent)
    HK-Lariat (198dmg,360stun, easy convert)
    HP-v-trigger-Cyclone Lariat-Borscht Dynamite (404dmg,520stun, probably won't use it too often)

Tech- ?

Some more info on V-skill. After activating V-skill you can hold mp+mk and tap forward. This gives you a slowly forward moving V-skill that can be held indefinitely. When you release mp+mk it ends with the same hit as holding neutral V-skill for a few seconds.

V-skill has 3 hits of armor while active but you can be thrown out of it. You can easily tap mp+mk to eat a normal and jab SPD punish some things that may normally push back too far to SPD punish. Not sure of frames on the ending hit and not sure it it can link into anything.

I use V-skill after ending c.lp strings to see if I can bait out an attack or at least force a jump. Also can be useful in overhead mixups, as you can sometimes just armor instead of reading the opponent’s mixup and blocking accordingly. You can also use it in a pinch to keep yourself from being pushed back by fireball spam, but I think f+hp is much better to deal with projectiles if you can react in time.

HK is really good for reading jumps and backdashes.

F+mk is really good for dealing with sweeps or c.lk’s when people start to try going under your hp. Either point blank to hit or it can also be used close the distance into jab SPD range on longer ranged lows.

Also I feel dumb for not even thinking of steering lariat in combos. I end a lot of my combos with just c.lp c.lp, lk or c.lp x 3 so I’ll have to see if steering makes it a more consistent ender.

Haven’t used air SPD much outside of ex version in combos.

What does ex-SPD do aside from give slightly better range for hp SPD oki? Is it invulnerable to anything gmor faster?

Great post but can you explain this? I have been using PPP for fireballs unsuccesfully. Usually get jump then sweep before recovery anywhere that isn’t full screen.

headbutt nullifies projectiles.
V-skill does too.
St.HP is another good one.