Yun vs. Akuma

Haha…you must be talking about Sora eh? Like everyone says, rely on Genei-jin. If Akuma gets predictable with Dive kicks, you could try jumping straight up and dive kick from above. Then as you both land try to bait out a dp and punish him. You could try parrying the dive kick but it’s more risky and I think it’s better to play an evasive game while maintanining a safe offensive. This limits Akuma’s offense while you charge up. For example, if Akuma has a hard time hitting you and you are constantly charging for your Genei-jin, Yun is already winning.

Just charge up and don’t let Akuma scare you. You will have a super before he does. Activate and do mixup high/low or command grab into a combo. And one more thing, try pausing in your attack while he’s blocking your Genei-Jin so that you give Akuma just enough time to try something. Remember your attacks are god-like so you have pretty much nothing to fear.

Nah it was Antonio (Remember him?) I haven’t played Sora in ages.

Competition died completely in Augusta, GA. Hopefully I can come to FR9 though at least to get my ass kicked for fun.

an akuma that throws a l0t of air fireballs, is one that doesn’t control anything except his own space.
if you’re having trouble staying in the air, because you’re afraid of air hurricane kicks, you can beat them with a super jumping feirce or roundhouse.

i was playing that all night at TGA, and i started a win streak by just zoning with super jumps and divekicks. any trick that akuma can do if he’s on the ground, is only dangerous if he has level(s). so, if he tries dp+k, hit s.middlekick or s.strong,
if he does d.shortx3, then you should wait for the dash that will probably follow it.

ground rh hurricane kicks, can be punished after blocking with d. strongxxshort upkicks, but only if the hurricane kick is blocked after its inicial hit. so, that means, if he is right next to you, and does the HK, don’t press a button, but if he does air fireball, lands, then does a HK, press strong.
it’s hard to do that reverse parry if you block it up close,you know when it crosses you up? but if you take what i said above to heart, then you would know that if he does it again, after you block the last hit, then you can punish it.
basically, his block chains are long, but, not frightening.
only thing that must be watched out for is kara throwing, because it can own you.
an example of how i beat the akuma, who is arguably our best player, is by sj up a lot, and divekicking only to hold my position. half the time, if he got close, i would punish something, activate, and then win.
so basically, i learned the zoning, and GJ took care of the rest, everytime.

cb can u phrase ur talk about blocking hurricanes safely better… i can’t understand it

Imo you’re playing the match-up all wrong; from what I understand from your post anyway. Akuma might have a strong offence, but his defence is seriously weak. You just need to rush him down and activate. Otherwise he’s going to corner you, as you said, and start going heavy with the mix-ups. Once an Akuma player starts rushing you down it can be hard to get out of, so the only logical way to not get into that situation is to be the one doing the rush-down, which is exactly how Yun should be played in the first place.

yun zones, yang rushes…so in a way you’re right.

Look, vs. akuma, stay in the air and parry a lot. Parry that fuckin air hurricane kick. If you can make akuma think twice about jumping, you win…in fact making him think twice is all it takes.

Only thing about the air hurricane kick, is that after you parry the third hit, he’s pretty much safe. Only way to punish it is at certain heights and ranges, and they’re kinda specific so you need to experiment with that.

You wanna start the round by mashing a little d.strong, jump up roundhouse or feirce a few times, while watching for air fireballs and air hurricanes. Reason being, he can’t let you get meter. If he does, he dies. simple fact of life.

fuck the examples, just keep this in mind, He needs to hit you!..Infact, keep that in mind vs. any character.
…If you’ve ever seen justin play yun, he exploits that shit to the bitter end…fucking wong zoning is intense, he does the same thing with chun, kinda.

Here’s a quick tip for fighting akuma:
Do some random uppercut+P’s. Once he starts staying on the ground waiting for you, you can decide to either divekick or stay zoning+charging. Either way you will gain meter and then win.
Generally, because of Akuma’s weak stamina, they will get random when trying to run from GJ. So don’t get predictable with the rush-punch’s or shoulders while in GJ. Personally, I like to activcate from mid screen and either jump or dash in, and see if he jumps or blocks, then I’ll do a jab rush punch/up-kicks if he jumps, or low shorts if he blocks(but barely any akumas will block…they’ll get random or try and parry.

This probably should have gone in the Yun subforum, but either way these guys are right.

If the player is better then you just slightly, you can be really annoying to mess up his style and just run away with Yun. Just keep away and he’ll either start throwing fireballs or rush you down with Air Hurricanes. You want him to do this. His game is rushing, but usually it’s a controlled rush, in this scenario he’s more of a chaser. He has no way to hit you and Akuma players will build rhythm by hitting or whiffing over you with lk hurricanes. If they start chasing you, they WILL make mistakes and you just need to be keen enough to spot them. c.mk is your friend and can be used to cancel into GJ as well to keep the pressure on and keep you safe.

WORD UP!!!
excellent response, very concise!
gotta reiterate the point, that someone rushing WILL MAKE MISTAKES! THINK ABOUT THAT!..i don’t feel like talkin on that more.

THIS IS THE DEFINITIVE ANSWER, AND I’VE EXPERIENCED IT FIRST HAND VS. PJC AND SOME CALI FOOs.

How can a Yun be afraid of Akuma?

Air fireballs and ground fireballs - Yun’s shoulder owns that anyday :sad: So yes, if an Akuma is jumping towards you and is silly enough to try an air fireball, a shoulder will go under it, hit him setting him up for another juggle.

And don’t try to meet Akuma in the air because I will hurricane you, and if you even think of parrying, I’ll cancel into SA1. I haven’t seen anyone parry out of that yet.

Akuma should not spam ground hurricanes because Yun can easily duck and punish them.

Akuma has a bigger hit box than Yun which makes it hard to hit Yun, but easy for Yun to hit Akuma.

For Akuma to divekick Yun is a bad thing. Yun is small and can therefore parry Akuma’s divekick very easily.

GJ owns Akuma. He can’t even teleport through it (how many of you knew that???)

Yun takes a lot of damage from Akuma, not just the other way round, so good Akuma players will be satisfied with a simple poke and run game. Not necessarily rushdown. If I see an opportunity to rush a Yun down, I go for the earliest throw or flip grab that I can.

Shotos will typically throw Yun as much as they can. Look out for it.

Why am I, an Akuma player, telling you all this :xeye:

I think we were just talking about the first round, when much is not known about the 2 players.
That said, shoulders are a bad idea vs. air fireballs, because if the yun guesses wrong, a divekick will most likely come out and the shoulder(which has a lot of recovery frames)will get hit from behind.
I think xiii was just talking about playing safe when you’re un sure about your opponent.
But, if you’re gonna poke and run, you’ll probably get a random divekick in the face, then a GJ, then that fat bitch sings.
I agree with the idea that shotos mostly throw…except that’s vs. everybody not just yun. What else can they do?
And why do Akuma players always talk about their tricks like nobody knows them?:lol:

Actually I was just lately playing against an Akuma player who had some psychic ability of knowing if I was going to go for a stand-alone shoulder in my corner GJ pressure. He teleported through it every time and was safe. Other than shoulders Yun can pretty much catch up? But what do you mean Akuma can’t teleport through GJ? You know the invincibility frames for it? Just curious.

Also, I never activate from over a half-screen away from Akuma since it might just take me the whole meter to catch him up due to those air fireballs and somewhat reckless use of air tatsus.

Well, I might not be too good but that’s my 2 cents.

Go into training mode and see how you can easily hit or grab akuma while he is in the teleport. Startup, middle of it - any point. I dont play Yun so I dont know the trick to it, but I always get hit or grabbed out of a teleport when Yun is in GJ.

Not using shoulders as anti air-fireball for fear of the divekick shows that you’re giving too much credit to the akuma player - for him to try a dive kick when you’re ready to shoulder is incredibly risky.

Shotos throw the twins more than against everyone else because a lot of their pressuring pokes dont even hit the twins properly, and if they do, the followup combos dont work.

akuma will teleport on reaction if he sees a far lunge punch, and that’s pretty safe. that’s what i meant…but, in terms of teleporting when he’s close, pfft, whatever, you get hit if you do anything, obviously.
personally, i don’t use shoulders vs. akuma. i just jump up. but, the akuma player is solid, and i don’t underestimate him.

i don’t get the last paragraph though, what “pressure” pokes are you talking about? like, meaty s.forward or low.strong?..i don’t see anything not working on yun except hurricanes.

If you know the akuma player likes to get in on a grounded Yun with air fireballs, a shoulder can usually save you unless the fireball was very meaty.

I’m assuming the teleport from the lunge punch is in the case where he can’t punish after blocking the lunge?

As for pokes, I should have been more specific. Overhead chains to be precise. Against most other characters, if you already know that they will block low mostly, you can do clever links with overheads. All these links are impossibly difficult against the twins. Plus Akuma’s axe kick is easy for the twins to block on reaction as the first hit and most of the second hit whiff when they crouch. You may think its the same against other characters that aren’t too big, but the second hit tends to get them a few frames earlier than it would on the twins.

And yeah, hurricane spams dont work very well on them either.

I wouldnt be surprised if Yun was higher tier than Akuma :wtf:

There doesn’t seem to be any kind of throw-invincibility in Akuma’s teleport. At least nowhere in the start-up. This is probably old news but Yun might be able to command throw Akuma mid-teleport.

As a matter of fact some other things with invincibility seem to still be throwable. A couple of days ago I toyed around with the idea and tested with Ken. I threw Ken right after Shippu’s superflash with a regular throw (he IS supposed to be invincible at that point, right?).
Not like it matters with supers but still I think it’s kind of a weird discovery.

As far as I know you’re only invincible after the start up. Since you need at least 1 frame to start up, you have at least 1 frame that’s not invincible. I could be wrong though.

I don’t think that’s the case here. Reversal Shippu beats meaty Palm from Yun and that thing has a long-lasting hitbox. Seems to go through all other meaties too.

I’ll might test this more if I have energy and time.

EDIT: Sorry, I just realized this is going off-topic.

Ken can be grabbed out of shippu as long as your grab registers before his first hit. Ken is NOT invincible at the startup - just HIGH priority.
But you’ve spotted a critical thing about the engine in that you can grab in situations where you can’t hit e.g. Q sa1. You can grab him out of that even AFTER the super starts, but no way you can poke him. Think of it like Remy SA3 - if something is too high priority to outpoke, you will most probably be able to grab.

Off topic. But yes, there is some deal with Akuma getting grabbed out of the teleport. Only the command grab from the twins maybe? I’m not sure about this so dont quote me :arazz:

yun’s GJ far s.strong will beat shippu, and f.feirce trades(in GJ), But low short will get owned.
i have grabbed that super, lol, and my boi smooth was like…what!?:rock:

imma fuck with the shoulder, i think that’s a good idea. but also, an early forward feirce will get him, and it’ll let the divekick wiff, and leave akuma with a couple frames to attack. but f.feirce aint safe vs. divekick, that’s not what i meant ^.