Yun Match-up Thread

Start blocking Bison on wake up. Ultra 1 auto corrects wake up MK/HK DP’s.

Akuma VS Yun

Akuma players try to spam air fireballs to get in close. they will do air fireball then get you into a block then they will do a overhead, sweep, or a bnb. if the Akuma does it right above your head DP and you will have a 50/50 of a trade but the trade is in your favor because it does more damage.

wake up: he can teleport out of dive kick pressure but bust his face with a lunge. that teaches him to teleport away from you. if he likes to mash he can auto correct and DP you while you dive kick so do as many mixups to enforce him to teleport.

the fire fireball (half-circle punch) it has a REALLY slow start up and a decent recovery time. dive kick him and do a BnB.

make sure to be extra watchful when he has demon ultra. i got into a match when he wake up and mashed demon and if you incorrectly guess the dive kick…the ultra HURTS big time.

personally i use ultra 1 during this match because he will like to demon flip and hit him with ultra 1 and it will connect. let him know that you control the air and he will be forced to play footie games and you c. MK x M. Lunge will hurt him all the time.

he has less health then you so a few BnB will own him. dont be scared to get a little risky because it pays off with him having 50 less stamina.

Dudley VS Yun

i have very little with this match up but ill say what i learned.

Dudley major tool that he use to advance is ducking but its mostly used for fireball characters. he will try to duck at you so do a M palm to send him back.

machine punch just try to predict it and jump over and punish. if you block it c. MK x Lunge to punish it. i believe when he does a EX machine gun punch DP it. im not sure why you cant do c. MK x Lunge to punish the EX maybe he has a faster recovery? i just try to play patient against him and score a knock down as fast as you can to do your dive kick game. just dont get to predictable because he will do the counter to punish you back. when you trying to clear space he can do s. MP and it beats your dive kick.

What about Akuma’s Vortexs? Can you U1 them when you wake up or should I just block any and all? Also, how do I go about fighting him? Bulldoggin’ it or finding the right opening to attack?

Yun VS Oni

this match up i believe is pretty difficult. if you get any good Oni player he will choose ultra 1 because he can do it in the air.

Ground: from full screen his fireballs cant even touch you. when you closing the gap. he will do the charge fireball and smack him with a dive kick with bnb. just try to build meter at full screen because the regular fireball wont touch you.

he has 2 options to stop your air game. he has a air fireball ultra and an air demon. just dont be soooo dive kick happy. respect the air because they both hurt.

his vortex can be punished with light dragon kick. the one you gotta watch for is the punch one because it will stomp you. honestly when i get into a corner and he tries to vortex me i just dash out the corner. you can do ultra 1 on wake up. you have to read him to figure out how he plays. i usually start finding the right opening and if it keeps working then ill bulldog him. you have to read the player to adjust your game play.

anybody know what to do with Honda? i trying to punish his bullshit headbutt but i cant do it. lunge is to slow. i try to jump but i am a little slow. i heard shoulder works. any advice?

Punished with dragon kick??? you mean block a move and then punish? I don’t think akuma’s moves are ever that bad on block, plus yun’s dp come out pretty damn slow without meter, so yun’s gonna have a hard time hitting akuma out of his palms, kicks and cross up shinanogens if they’re all well timed.

You can ultra him on wake up??? Yun’s Ult 1 comes out in 9 frames!!! if that worked then i believe many characters would have wake up ultra as a strat against akuma’s crap… and as far as i know wake up ultra has yet to ever a viable, recommended strat in many situations, especially akuma’ vortex

Bulldogging akuma? Be careful how you word that, wouldn’t you think twice before “bulldogging” a character with a 3 frame invincible reversal, we’re not talking about abel here…

He understood what I meant by “punish”. I meant, on wake up what can I do to either safely get out of that Vortex bullshit, or what can I do to beat it out.

If you know anything I can do vs a good akuma, please let me know how to fight him and such… I really don’t know how to get around the Projectile… Uppercut bs and how I’d go about Baiting the Uppercuts with a dk or if I can safejump him with the Divekick (which… I don’t believe you can safejump any 3 frame reversal?)

Cross-up Divekick on wake up beats his buttslam option, you’ll land behind him and can sweep him.

As for headbutts I believe U2 is the answer to them… Except the ex and LP one, remember he can no longer AA with the LP version.

His only escape option vs. Yun is with Ex… and thats ex headbutt, so just be cautious of that, make him burn that meter and then he’s yours : D.

His NJ. HP stuff gets annoying… I usually just avoid it by my own NJ. LK Divekick to dodge it/dash when I see him jump to close the gap between us, once your close enough you can just DP it and beat it out at a specific time (usually when he’s descending.)

I really don’t know to much to say, he can’t Headbutt through your palms and I think it’s a good way to bait EX headbutt (since they can hit you out of the start-up at a certain range)

I forget if you can HK uppercut out of tough situations on your wake-up, try it and see if it works… if it does inform us!

As for the shoulders I’m sure ex can punish them all… So just use that if you want… The best thing to do is just try it in training, vs a friend, or look up the frame data.

Quick thing for those talking about Akuma. I think Akuma plays a lot of runaway in this match and for me the best option to fight the runaway is in spacing. I usually way for ex air fireball or just regular air fb and lunge/exlunge/ex shoulder under it and get a clean punish. On wake up you can lunge os to beat teleports or bait dps if you want. I think this matchup is all about who gets knockdowns first because both have poor options against eachother on wake up and Yun has a slight advantage on neutral. you can also trade on late ex fb on your wakeup if timed right with ex up kicks. Far/poorly spaced st. hk by akuma can have the second hit whiff giving free punish. I think it’s a patient match that Yun has advantage.

Any advice against Sakura?

Just want to see what Yun thinks of this matchup. Would be beneficial for both Yun and Sakura if someone wrote this matchup.

I was trying a ghetto version of the adon option select vs. honda with the safe jump and use ex upkicks, worked against a few of the different wake ups the honda tried. I’ll have to test it more when I get home though.

It wasn’t so much as saying that lp.shoulder is unpunishable by kara spd, but that because of the threat of kara spd, doing lp.shoulder may actually turn it into a 50/50 situation, which probably won’t be in Yun’s favor.

If you neutral jump Gief could read that and walk up Lariat and/or EX gh. The safest options I think are jump back/backdash, but if you do this then you give up a lot of space and/or you cannot punish whiffed spd as hard.

I played a few Sakuras over the weekend and I have got to say this matchup is really free, possibly 6-4 Yun.

As Sakura, you’re going to have one hell of a time trying to keep Yun out. I dunno if it was just because of online lag, or maybe my Sakura opponents weren’t the best, but they could not keep me out whatsoever.

Footsies-wise, Sakura will be looking to do cr.MK xx shouo, and st.HK, as usual, and possibly st.LP or far.st.MP or far.st.MK to keep dive kick spam in check. But I found that Sakura’s normals pale in comparison to Yun’s. cr.MK is good to stuff Yun’s far.st.MP. But he can return the favor with his own cr.MK xx Lunge, or st.LK xx Lunge, or easier yet, hitting Sakura’s cr.MK with dive kick. Many Sakuras will likely make lots of use of st.HK in this match, being her farthest reaching normal, beats pokes or trades in Sakura’s favor, and has a good chance of beating out dive kicks as well. But Yun can very easily keep this in check by neutral jumping outside of its range, and whiff punishing on reaction with dive kick. Or maybe Yun might have poor reactions and you block the dive kick, but he still gets in anyways because your antiair won’t come out fast enough. And then of course, Yun will be spamming a lot of far.st.MP as his go-to poke (especially as a whiff punisher), and possibly f+HP which I believe has more range than any of Sakura’s normals. These two threats, combined with the dive kick threat, make Yun quite a bit advantaged in the midrange footsies war.

Of course, Yun can also opt to not play footsies at all, and just backdash/palm all day, a luxury which Sakura does not have.

Also notice I didn’t even consider Sakura’s fireball. Yun already has enough options to reaction punish fireballs, with or without meter, so if you do decide to chuck some fireball, I sure hope you know what you’re doing.

Going back to antiairs, Sakura does not appear to have a single universal solution to dive kicks, especially dive kick pressure. She can crouch tech with cr.MP or cr.HP, but then Yun can still simply do nj.MK to mess up your timing (and get hit), or worse Yun can crossup dive kick and cr.HP will whiff completely.

Offensive/defensive wise, I’d say it’s still Yun favored. He can easily maintain pressure like a champ with dive kicks, and Sakura is insanely easy to safe jump, with her reversal being like 12f startup or whatever. While Sakura can dish out more damage after hitconfirms, this requires tight 1f links (ie: tatsu loops) that most Yun players will never need. Yun is not as free on wakeup due to having a dp, and Yun is also not as free to offensive pressure due to having a dp.

tl,dr: This matchup looks fairly grim for Sakura. Sakura has to be on point, have top execution, and make excellent reads, just to best an inferior player playing Yun.

Though I’m not the best Yun, and I’m not a Sakura main, so my theoryfighter could be flawed.

lol its definitely not a 50/50. You can literally just walk back if you’re that scared of spds.

Mmm I have to completely disagree with your Sakura info there. 5-5 or maybe even 6-4 for Sakura against Yun. I went to a tournament yesterday and my opponent (robin r ramirez) agreed that Sakura does pretty good against the twins.

A good Sakura will find that opening (or just rush on you) and punish you’re pixie health with those hard hitting stun/hp combo’s (and good Sakura players should have good enough execution to pull off those loops). I’ve been playing Sakura for about 3 years and I to feel that Yun not is that though when I play her. Later in the tournament I was matches against him and lost pretty quick, counter-picked with my Chun… to bad robin is better player then I am :stuck_out_tongue:

1 hard hitting tatsu loop into reset and you’re done. The only reason that I don’t see this as a 7-3 matchup is that Yuns options are so godlike, I feel that he can win from every matchup if the opponent doesn’t guess right.

Well the Adon match up thread seems to be dying off but regardless I’m sticking with him just wanted to know what you guys thought about the Yun vs Adon and who’s favor is it in?

Yun vs Sak 6-4 or 7-3 for SAKURA? You must be joking dude.

Yuns combos hit just as hard as sak’s and are WAY easier to land. Also random cmp beats pretty much anything sakura can throw out.

This is 5-5 for Yun AT LEAST. Probably 6-4 for yun. Theres a reason Sakura is considered low tier.

I haven’t had much success with Yun’s cr.MP, though it may just be my spacing fail.

Also, for some reason I completely forgot about Yun’s (broken) EX Lunge, which you can definitely use as a footsie if you ever sense hesitation from the Sakura player, or any player for that matter lol.

I definitely wouldn’t say Yun vs Sakura is even at all. It’s at best 5.5 - 4.5, but I’m learning more torward 6-4 due to Yun’s sheer number of safe options against Sakura who has to try pretty hard imo.

Exactly. You have to take the risk of a reset, whereas Yun can pretty much just blockstring pressure you to death.

Sakura’s like a sub par Ryu without the wake up option, why would it be 6-4 in Sakura’s favor? Her mix ups doesn’t contribute anything to tilt the match up favor.

Yun vs Guile

-Don’t jump in/dive kick when he has down charge
-If he’s slowly backing himself up and there’s no sonic boom on screen, resist the temptation to lunge punch
-If he is following his lp sonic boom, don’t hesitate to mix it up with focusing/ex shoulder/jump ins or just blocking it, force him to react or guess correctly.
-Push him to the corner
-Once you get in abuse the shoulder, force him to random flash kick out, Guiles won’t have the meter to fadc everyone of those anymore. Punish the blocked Flash kicks.
-Cross him up on wake up with light dive kicks, it will beat his flash kicks(Need confirmation)