Yun Match-up Thread

Here’s your new Yun matchup thread, treat it as if you were writing a matchup bible, make sure to test your findings before posting them or PMing them to me to put in the sections, I’m guilty of giving false info so I know that shit sucks and people get pissed, don’t do it, test it.

Abel

Spoiler

Adon

Spoiler

Akuma

Spoiler

Balrog

Spoiler

Blanka
Thegame4ever’s Input

[details=Spoiler] This matchup at first annoyed the hell out of me, but after playing it a lot and analyzing various tricks to limit Blanka’s options, having a much better time now. You need to learn all the various things you can do on knockdown to start your offense.

Your goal in this matchup is to corner Blanka, and don’t let him build meter. Most Blankas like to run away and spam electricity or just hold down back. He’s doing half your work for you, use this as an opportunity to walk forward. Also their other main strategy is to do blanka balls that are outside of your range, then jump on you/spam electricity etc. This is where the godly st.mp comes in, if the ball doesn’t hit you but is close just do st.mp and it will tag them, and even if it’s far a bit and you whiff and they jump at you, you can still anti-air with LK Upkicks. If you do block a LP/MP/HP Blanka ball, you can punish with HP Lunge, and on hit you can punish all with EX shoulder. If you block a HP/MP blanka ball and you see he bounces pretty close, you can dash cr.mp>st.mp xx HK Upkicks for a more damaging punish. All this should be you causing damage and taking him to the corner.

Now the other aspect of the match is the knockdown. On knockdown if they don’t have ultra meter, feel free to do a meaty cr.mp. This recovers in 6 frames (fastest recovery normal he has is a crouching strong, lol), and stuffs all wakeup electricity and non EX upballs. Obviously this goes into your BnB and doesn’t whiff on blanka like the other hit-confirm with st.lp, so it’s the best option against Blanka. On knockdown mid-screen off a forward throw use HP Lunge to switch sides and ruin his forward charge, so he’s only left with back charge.

Now what happens if your opponent does EX upball? On block you can punish with HP Lunge and MP Shoulder, and on hit you can punish with EX shoulder. If you have super meter after punishing with MP Shoulder you can cancel into genei-jin, wait a bit and MP Lunge into Hop kicks and take them to corner. In corner on block you can punish EX upball with MP shoulder into MP Lunge, or MP shoulder into ultra, or MP Shoulder into a damaging genei-jin combo, since thanks to the height if your timing is good you can do this combo which is approx 571dmg:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jadGvFnudU

In corner EX upball on hit you can punish with walk forward, cr.mp>cr.mk xx MP Lunge, and something funny is on both hit and block you can punish with Ultra 1, just make sure Blanka is after EX Upball is recoiling near the ground and it’ll connect, and obviously combo it into MP Lunge.

Now when Blanka is in corner this is where he’s your bitch. Use blockstrings with gaps inbetween to catch them trying to jump out, your top move for this is cr.mp. Some like to spam electricity in case you dive, which cr.mp should stuff them with. There’s also a nice divekick setup on wakeup which stuffs electricity and is safe from reversal ultra 1, you just need to dive at him on wakeup a bit after he wakes up, so you do not land meaty but you’re delayed a bit. This can be done in corner off forward throw>two dashes>whiff st.lp neutral jump MK dive kick. This is Daigo’s corner set-up which is pretty useful and sick since you can neutral j.MK for an overhead, neutral EX command grab, neutral HK dive/LK for mixups, etc, and don’t forget the command throws to bust them up as well as overhead since they always hold down back.

Here’s a summary of punishes so you can easily remember:

Slide:

cr.mk xx MP Lunge 170 dmg

cr.mk xx LP Shoulder 160dmg (Can cancel into genei-jin)

Blanka balls:

On block -

HP Lunge - 130dmg

On Hit -

EX shoulder- 150dmg

For HP/MP on block if they’re close, dash cr.mp>st.mp xx HK Upkicks, or into genei-jin etc.

EX Upball:

No meter:

Block

HP Lunge - 130
MP Shoulder - 125 ( Can cancel into Genei-Jin, wait a bit MP Lunge>Hop kick x2>st.MP>Hop kick etc.)

Block/Hit

EX Shoulder - 150

Ultra 1:

If you block the first hit and he’s on the way up and you want to avoid chip, you can beat him clean with LK Upkicks. If you block all first blow low, then high, then keep blocking high, and after his last hit focus level 2 (time it so it hits him as he touches the ground) into cr.mp>cr.mp>cr.mp>cr.mk xx MP Lunge for 280dmg.

And **** Blanka. Hope this helps. [/details]

Cammy

Spoiler

Chun-Li

Spoiler

Cody

Spoiler

C. Viper

Spoiler

Dan

Spoiler

DeeJay

Spoiler

Dhalsim

Spoiler

Dudley

Spoiler

E. Honda

Spoiler

El Fuerte

Spoiler

Evil Ryu

Spoiler

Fei Long

Spoiler

Gen

Spoiler

Gouken

Spoiler

Guile

Spoiler

Guy

Spoiler

Hakan

Spoiler

mod edit (preppy): fixed chained SPOILER tags

ler
oi
sp
[
fg

Ibuki

Spoiler

Juri

Spoiler

Ken

Spoiler

Makoto

Spoiler

M. Bison
Ben Reed’s Input

[details=Spoiler] - Anti-air versus late jump-in HP (one of Bison’s primary jump-ins): LK upkicks, surprisingly, seems much more consistent when used late (Bison starts descending and timed just as he starts his fierce) than the heavier versions. Used too late as Bison descends, MK and HK upkicks can trade with Bison j. HP in Bison’s favor. LK upkicks seem to be much more consistent if done late; it’s hard to get them to trade unless you fire them way too early.

• Crouching MP can also beat Bison’s jump-in HP. Easiest spacing is if you are basically right under Bison’s ass as he activates fierce, so being a little close to Bison helps you here. Just be careful not to get crossed up by the fierce.

• If you’re kinda close to Bison when he jumps, close HP can be a really good anti-air because it hits very high over Yun’s head. Good for walk-under or walk-up. Close MK can trade with Bison j. MK, but you get the knockdown anyway and the trade is very even, so it’s worth it. You have a lot of anti-air options in this fight, obviously, because Bison jumps so high and for so long. Lots of time to decide what you can and can’t do.

• Bison corner pressure: If you are cornered and Bison is right in your face (attempting a meaty or after a dash-up) and does (blocked) c. MP xx LK scissors or c. MK xx LK scissors on their own, he is still in range to repeat that same string once again. Both c. MP and c. MK will make contact. These are two of Bison’s primary counter-hit tools to fish for knockdowns, so be respectful when Bison has you cornered, unless he’s gotten predictable enough to DP your way out. Getting impatient in the corner is what Bison counts on to deal damage in this matchup, because the only thing Bison can get from Yun down-backing it are throws (140 damage, wheeeeee) and a few rounds of puny LK scissors chip. You can afford to be patient in this matchup, because once you’re back on offense (basically by getting a divekick hit or blocked; it is PROHIBITIVELY hard to throw or c. LK punish low-and-close divekick), you’re in control.

In case you didn’t already learn this rule with another character in vanilla or Super, once you block three LK scissors in the corner, Bison is pushed out of range and can only tag whiffed limbs. This is your opportunity to escape, as long as you’re mindful of how Bison might try to cut off your escape. Jumping is probably riskier than walking out, because while Bison can poke you on the ground, the corner is one of the few places where Bison can control anti-air spacing versus Yun.

• This should be fairly obvious, but don’t DP to get out of Bison ground pressure. Bison has a zillion ways to make it whiff because of how high the initial hitboxes spawn. c. MK in particular will duck the shit out of all versions even when done right in Yun’s face (for example after a blocked LK scissors). That said, Bison tends to have poor and/or very difficult punishes for whiffed HK upkicks because it goes over his head and screws up his charge. Auto-correct U1 (Nightmare Booster) and EX Psycho Crusher will work, but depending on the distance, it can be hard to detect when Yun changes sides to properly auto-correct, and the failure mode for U1 is typically a teleport, which obviously is a free lunch for Yun, even factoring in whiffed DP recovery. Still, a bad habit that you shouldn’t be forming. Stick to blocking if Bison is attacking from the ground.

• More on low MK divekick on the inside: We’ve all seen Marn clown Andre with this. Basically, once Yun is in that sweet spot where he can cross Bison up with lowest-height MK divekick, Bison has to literally guess his way out, because his reactive options become SEVERELY limited. Bison can do his vertical jumping HK and beat low MK divekick relatively late on reaction, but otherwise he lacks the combination of speed and geometry to stop low MK divekick in his face. Done pre-emptively, Bison close HP and stand HK can stop divekick spam, but reactively (waiting to SEE Yun leave the ground), they will lose. Done pre-emptively, EX Psycho Crusher will whiff under Yun. Bison escapes – briefly – but does not win. Done reactively, Yun lands from low MK divekick in time to block EX Crusher. At this height, it is also UNREALISTICALLY difficult for Bison to block divekick on an early enough frame that he can 3-frame punish (throw or c. LK) the landing recovery, even if he stand blocks. At that height, Bison basically HAS to block MK divekick on the first possible active frame (VERY hard to space), or Yun will not be disadvantaged enough to throw or c. LK.

Obviously, you’re not going to cross Bison up with low MK divekick unless he crouches, which to me seems like a bad idea against Yun if Bison is smart. Bison’s charge-down-up EX reversals are useless against Yun, and even with the risk of baiting, Bison doesn’t want to lose access to EX Psycho Crusher and EX Knee Press reversals – any escape from Yun pressure/mixup is a precious new lease on life.

Bearing that in mind, obviously Bison is going to try and stand block your divekicks to maximize your frame disadvantage, and then immediately go to crouch block to avoid your low options. Obviously, what you want to do here is get one step ahead of Bison’s blocking patterns, and try to condition him to block divekicks low, where you cross him up and he loses his charge (assuming you don’t outright HIT him and get a combo), and blunder into lows when he tries to stand up for your divekicks. Having conditioned him to focus on blocking, you start observing whether he’s going to try and break loose with a pre-emptive anti-air/counter-hit move like close HP/stand HK or an EX reversal/teleport, or whether he’s going to sit still so that you can throw him and make him antsy.

The only psychological variable at work here is confidence in your mixup ability so that you don’t feel afraid of Bison getting loose, and are confident in your ability to confuse the hell out of him with a seemingly unstoppable attack. It’s not hard to scare the shit out of Bison in this matchup, as long as you can consistently finish your plate when you get a combo starter and punish baited reversals as hard as you can (eat your free lunch, you don’t get many against a safe character like Bison). Don’t be afraid. Get in that Kim Jong Il-looking ass and DESTROY the once-great Bison. [/details]

Oni
JoshKaz’s Input

Spoiler

Jumping in on him isn’t smart. He can and will AA you everytime. Dive Kick if you’re right on him or try to bait out something. His normals will Stuff your dive kicks, Cr.mp, B+MP, St.HP, F+HP all have huge hitboxes. Unless you’re right on him, since none of his normals will come out in time.

Just stay back and build meter. I’d advise not to do bad ex Lunge punches since a reactionary Ultra or srk will stuff it.
Just use shoulder to get past his fireballs, and don’t let up on him at all. Oni does not have a clear way out of pressure. Always stay on his ass. Always.

If Oni does knock you down. Be wary of Lk slash and HK slash.HK slash should be -8 on block but it crosses up. So always be ready to block a cross up against him on your wakeup.
If he goes to ground pound. A late DP kick should stuff it. Don’t do an early one since you will whiff, and put him in a position he likes.

Oni’s F+HP is considered a projectile try to shoulder it on reaction

Forgot to say ex slash is said to be -10 if he doesnt crossup on block, and -12 if he does cross up on block. [/details]

Rose
Crushingyen’s Input

[details=Spoiler] For me, I consider this match up to be a 50-50, maybe a bit more in Yun’s favor. It’s easy to react with a HP shoulder when she throws fireballs, and closing the space with your dive kicks should not be that much of a difficulty. One thing to keep note is that she has strange hitbox properties like Blanka, where when you try and do a certain BnB, it will whiff when they’re crouching. So these are the following BnBs I suggest for consistency:

• cr.lp/cr.lk, st.lp, cr.mp, st.mp xx MK/HK Dragon Kick, depending on whether she is standing or crouching, respectively.
  • cr.lp/cr.lk, st.lp, cr.mp, cr.mk xx MP Lunge Punch
  • cr.mp, cr.mp, st.mp xx MK/HK Dragon Kick (similar for standing and crouching scenario)
  • cr.mp, cr.mp, cr.mk xx MP Lunge Punch

Most of you already know that she is a frame trapping powerhouse, but now its time for her to feel what she’s been dishing out to the cast back in Super. You have many frame trap setups in your arsenal - these are some that I like to use in general, and not only for Rose:

• Walk up, st.lk ticks, with the occasional st.lk xx Palm/Feint for mixup
  • After getting in, jab to cst.mp (note that I said close standing MP; this move puts you at +2 on block and it’s a 2-3 frame trap depending on what jab you use. It’s an amazing frame trap because on counter-hit, you can link it to a far st.mp, cr.mk, or st.lk. I’m pretty sure you can imagine all the possibilities from here)
  • st.lp, st.lk, st.mp TC xx LP shoulder after a jab or two
  • cr.mp, walk up to delayed cr.mp
  • Overhead on counter-hit can link to jab (something good to keep in mind)

There are many more traps that I could list, but there are just too many to write down.

Once you’re in, you should have this match set easy, but don’t get too comfortable because she can still frame trap you, regardless; don’t go pushing buttons without thinking.

On knockdown, she has the following options, and I’ll list the punish right after:
Backdash --> OS LP Lunge punch
Wake-up U2 --> Meaty cr.mp
EX Soul Spiral --> Block, and punish accordingly
EX Soul Throw --> This is where you’re getting too dive kick happy, so just do an early dive kick on their wake up to bait it. [/details]

Rufus

Spoiler

Ryu

Spoiler

Sagat
JFord’s Input

[details=Spoiler] I’ve found it necessary to fight Sagat at the edge of his st hk. The perfect place being were you can crouch under it while holding down back without it making contact and where his st mk whiffs also. At this range you can punish most of his pokes.
The only pokes that he has that beat your st mk are cr hp/mp but you can punish these with your st mp or cr mk into lp.
Your st mk is a great tool in this match up. You can use it to easily punish his whiffs without the recovery of your st hk, hp, or mp. You can also use it to punish the start up of spammed tigers. At this range you can also nj hk dk low tiger shots. If you are doing all of this well expect tiger knees to reset the spacing especially ex tiger knees. You can punish theses with with lk dp/U1. You really want to need to push him to the corner. Once there he is at your mercy. Generally anywhere outside of that range I mentioned or the corner he’s at the advantage. [/details]

Sakura
Mingo’s Input

[details=Spoiler] I played a few Sakuras over the weekend and I have got to say this matchup is really free, possibly 6-4 Yun.

As Sakura, you’re going to have one hell of a time trying to keep Yun out. I dunno if it was just because of online lag, or maybe my Sakura opponents weren’t the best, but they could not keep me out whatsoever.

Footsies-wise, Sakura will be looking to do cr.MK xx shouo, and st.HK, as usual, and possibly st.LP or far.st.MP or far.st.MK to keep dive kick spam in check. But I found that Sakura’s normals pale in comparison to Yun’s. cr.MK is good to stuff Yun’s far.st.MP. But he can return the favor with his own cr.MK xx Lunge, or st.LK xx Lunge, or easier yet, hitting Sakura’s cr.MK with dive kick. Many Sakuras will likely make lots of use of st.HK in this match, being her farthest reaching normal, beats pokes or trades in Sakura’s favor, and has a good chance of beating out dive kicks as well. But Yun can very easily keep this in check by neutral jumping outside of its range, and whiff punishing on reaction with dive kick. Or maybe Yun might have poor reactions and you block the dive kick, but he still gets in anyways because your antiair won’t come out fast enough. And then of course, Yun will be spamming a lot of far.st.MP as his go-to poke (especially as a whiff punisher), and possibly f+HP which I believe has more range than any of Sakura’s normals. These two threats, combined with the dive kick threat, make Yun quite a bit advantaged in the midrange footsies war.

Of course, Yun can also opt to not play footsies at all, and just backdash/palm all day, a luxury which Sakura does not have.

Also notice I didn’t even consider Sakura’s fireball. Yun already has enough options to reaction punish fireballs, with or without meter, so if you do decide to chuck some fireball, I sure hope you know what you’re doing.

Going back to antiairs, Sakura does not appear to have a single universal solution to dive kicks, especially dive kick pressure. She can crouch tech with cr.MP or cr.HP, but then Yun can still simply do nj.MK to mess up your timing (and get hit), or worse Yun can crossup dive kick and cr.HP will whiff completely.

Offensive/defensive wise, I’d say it’s still Yun favored. He can easily maintain pressure like a champ with dive kicks, and Sakura is insanely easy to safe jump, with her reversal being like 12f startup or whatever. While Sakura can dish out more damage after hitconfirms, this requires tight 1f links (ie: tatsu loops) that most Yun players will never need. Yun is not as free on wakeup due to having a dp, and Yun is also not as free to offensive pressure due to having a dp.

Seth

Spoiler

T. Hawk

Spoiler

Vega

Spoiler

Yang

Spoiler

Yun

Spoiler

Zangief

Spoiler

mod edit (preppy): you can’t nest SPOILERS. edited to fix that.

There’s a lot of characters in this fucking game. There’s a lot of info that needs to be typed out and put in the last two posts. Lets get to it. I’m done for the night because it’s 3:22am but I’d love if people had already started discussing things to put into the sections when I wake up in the morning. I will try to check and update this thread daily, in the event that I cannot it will be as soon as I am available. I will not be updating during Evo weekend because well, I’m going to be playing and I don’t wanna copy and paste and type a bunch of shit when I’m in Vegas. I like to drink and party, in the event that I forget to update the thread because of this, I’ll do it as soon as I wake up the next morning, hungover. That’s how you keep a fucking thread running.

Get it started guys, you’re free to post.

I gotta agree that the other one sucks ass.

I approve of this thread.

Yun vs. Bison:

• Anti-air versus late jump-in HP (one of Bison’s primary jump-ins): LK upkicks, surprisingly, seems much more consistent when used late (Bison starts descending and timed just as he starts his fierce) than the heavier versions. Used too late as Bison descends, MK and HK upkicks can trade with Bison j. HP in Bison’s favor. LK upkicks seem to be much more consistent if done late; it’s hard to get them to trade unless you fire them way too early.

• Crouching MP can also beat Bison’s jump-in HP. Easiest spacing is if you are basically right under Bison’s ass as he activates fierce, so being a little close to Bison helps you here. Just be careful not to get crossed up by the fierce.

• If you’re kinda close to Bison when he jumps, close HP can be a really good anti-air because it hits very high over Yun’s head. Good for walk-under or walk-up. Close MK can trade with Bison j. MK, but you get the knockdown anyway and the trade is very even, so it’s worth it. You have a lot of anti-air options in this fight, obviously, because Bison jumps so high and for so long. Lots of time to decide what you can and can’t do.

• Bison corner pressure: If you are cornered and Bison is right in your face (attempting a meaty or after a dash-up) and does (blocked) c. MP xx LK scissors or c. MK xx LK scissors on their own, he is still in range to repeat that same string once again. Both c. MP and c. MK will make contact. These are two of Bison’s primary counter-hit tools to fish for knockdowns, so be respectful when Bison has you cornered, unless he’s gotten predictable enough to DP your way out. (EDIT: I realize I kinda contradicted myself in the next paragraph, so I should clarify: If you know for 100% a close (meaty) c. MP, s. MK, or s. HK is coming, upkicks should be able to actually hit Bison. But against Bison’s true low pokes (c. LK, c. MK), he will probably duck upkicks. Be prudent, but if Bison is getting too predictable, don’t be afraid to be disrespectful; the reward for succeeding is immense. When in doubt, though, assume Bison is baiting you. He really, really, REALLY wants you to whiff something so that he can knock you down and keep you from moving.)

Getting impatient in the corner is what Bison counts on to deal damage in this matchup, because the only thing Bison can get from Yun down-backing it are throws (140 damage, wheeeeee) and a few rounds of puny LK scissors chip. You can afford to be patient in this matchup, because once you’re back on offense (basically by getting a divekick hit or blocked; it is PROHIBITIVELY hard to throw or c. LK punish low-and-close divekick), you’re in control.

In case you didn’t already learn this rule with another character in vanilla or Super, once you block three LK scissors in the corner, Bison is pushed out of range and can only tag whiffed limbs. This is your opportunity to escape, as long as you’re mindful of how Bison might try to cut off your escape. Jumping is probably riskier than walking out, because while Bison can poke you on the ground, the corner is one of the few places where Bison can control anti-air spacing versus Yun.

• This should be fairly obvious, but don’t DP to get out of Bison ground pressure. Bison has a zillion ways to make it whiff because of how high the initial hitboxes spawn. c. MK in particular will duck the shit out of all versions even when done right in Yun’s face (for example after a blocked LK scissors). That said, Bison tends to have poor and/or very difficult punishes for whiffed HK upkicks because it goes over his head and screws up his charge. Auto-correct U1 (Nightmare Booster) and EX Psycho Crusher will work, but depending on the distance, it can be hard to detect when Yun changes sides to properly auto-correct, and the failure mode for U1 is typically a teleport, which obviously is a free lunch for Yun, even factoring in whiffed DP recovery. Still, a bad habit that you shouldn’t be forming. Stick to blocking if Bison is attacking from the ground.

• More on low MK divekick on the inside: We’ve all seen Marn clown Andre with this. Basically, once Yun is in that sweet spot where he can cross Bison up with lowest-height MK divekick, Bison has to literally guess his way out, because his reactive options become SEVERELY limited. Bison can do his vertical jumping HK and beat low MK divekick relatively late on reaction, but otherwise he lacks the combination of speed and geometry to stop low MK divekick in his face. Done pre-emptively, Bison close HP and stand HK can stop divekick spam, but reactively (waiting to SEE Yun leave the ground), they will lose. Done pre-emptively, EX Psycho Crusher will whiff under Yun. Bison escapes – briefly – but does not win. Done reactively, Yun lands from low MK divekick in time to block EX Crusher. At this height, it is also UNREALISTICALLY difficult for Bison to block divekick on an early enough frame that he can 3-frame punish (throw or c. LK) the landing recovery, even if he stand blocks. At that height, Bison basically HAS to block MK divekick on the first possible active frame (VERY hard to space), or Yun will not be disadvantaged enough to throw or c. LK.

Obviously, you’re not going to cross Bison up with low MK divekick unless he crouches, which to me seems like a bad idea against Yun if Bison is smart. Bison’s charge-down-up EX reversals are useless against Yun, and even with the risk of baiting, Bison doesn’t want to lose access to EX Psycho Crusher and EX Knee Press reversals – any escape from Yun pressure/mixup is a precious new lease on life.

Bearing that in mind, obviously Bison is going to try and stand block your divekicks to maximize your frame disadvantage, and then immediately go to crouch block to avoid your low options. Obviously, what you want to do here is get one step ahead of Bison’s blocking patterns, and try to condition him to block divekicks low, where you cross him up and he loses his charge (assuming you don’t outright HIT him and get a combo), and blunder into lows when he tries to stand up for your divekicks. Having conditioned him to focus on blocking, you start observing whether he’s going to try and break loose with a pre-emptive anti-air/counter-hit move like close HP/stand HK or an EX reversal/teleport, or whether he’s going to sit still so that you can throw him and make him antsy.

The only psychological variable at work here is confidence in your mixup ability so that you don’t feel afraid of Bison getting loose, and are confident in your ability to confuse the hell out of him with a seemingly unstoppable attack. It’s not hard to scare the shit out of Bison in this matchup, as long as you can consistently finish your plate when you get a combo starter and punish baited reversals as hard as you can (eat your free lunch, you don’t get many against a safe character like Bison). Don’t be afraid. Get in that Kim Jong Il-looking ass and DESTROY the once-great Bison.

A really good tip vs fei long,s mp beats chicken wing clean as far as i know.
Tested it 3 times online in a match and the mp stuffed it 3 times,don’t know if this has been posted or not .

Sick write-up Ben. Updated Bison section.

ditn, a lot of Yun’s normals beat Chicken Wings clean, I’ll be sure to mention it during my Fei writeup.

Edit: This really good Fei just shit on me 5-0, I’m going to get mad drunk and I’ll figure that matchup out to a T in the morning and update the thread, I will NOT lose to a Fei in tournament Sunday.

Yun vs. Blanka:

This matchup at first annoyed the hell out of me, but after playing it a lot and analyzing various tricks to limit Blanka’s options, having a much better time now. You need to learn all the various things you can do on knockdown to start your offense.

Your goal in this matchup is to corner Blanka, and don’t let him build meter. Most Blankas like to run away and spam electricity or just hold down back. He’s doing half your work for you, use this as an opportunity to walk forward. Also their other main strategy is to do blanka balls that are outside of your range, then jump on you/spam electricity etc. This is where the godly st.mp comes in, if the ball doesn’t hit you but is close just do st.mp and it will tag them, and even if it’s far a bit and you whiff and they jump at you, you can still anti-air with LK Upkicks. If you do block a LP/MP/HP Blanka ball, you can punish with HP Lunge, and on hit you can punish all with EX shoulder. If you block a HP/MP blanka ball and you see he bounces pretty close, you can dash cr.mp>st.mp xx HK Upkicks for a more damaging punish. All this should be you causing damage and taking him to the corner.

Now the other aspect of the match is the knockdown. On knockdown if they don’t have ultra meter, feel free to do a meaty cr.mp. This recovers in 6 frames (fastest recovery normal he has is a crouching strong, lol), and stuffs all wakeup electricity and non EX upballs. Obviously this goes into your BnB and doesn’t whiff on blanka like the other hit-confirm with st.lp, so it’s the best option against Blanka. On knockdown mid-screen off a forward throw use HP Lunge to switch sides and ruin his forward charge, so he’s only left with back charge.

Now what happens if your opponent does EX upball? On block you can punish with HP Lunge and MP Shoulder, and on hit you can punish with EX shoulder. If you have super meter after punishing with MP Shoulder you can cancel into genei-jin, wait a bit and MP Lunge into Hop kicks and take them to corner. In corner on block you can punish EX upball with MP shoulder into MP Lunge, or MP shoulder into ultra, or MP Shoulder into a damaging genei-jin combo, since thanks to the height if your timing is good you can do this combo which is approx 571dmg:

In corner EX upball on hit you can punish with walk forward, cr.mp>cr.mk xx MP Lunge, and something funny is on both hit and block you can punish with Ultra 1, just make sure Blanka is after EX Upball is recoiling near the ground and it’ll connect, and obviously combo it into MP Lunge.

Now when Blanka is in corner this is where he’s your bitch. Use blockstrings with gaps inbetween to catch them trying to jump out, your top move for this is cr.mp. Some like to spam electricity in case you dive, which cr.mp should stuff them with. There’s also a nice divekick setup on wakeup which stuffs electricity and is safe from reversal ultra 1, you just need to dive at him on wakeup a bit after he wakes up, so you do not land meaty but you’re delayed a bit. This can be done in corner off forward throw>two dashes>whiff st.lp neutral jump MK dive kick. This is Daigo’s corner set-up which is pretty useful and sick since you can neutral j.MK for an overhead, neutral EX command grab, neutral HK dive/LK for mixups, etc, and don’t forget the command throws to bust them up as well as overhead since they always hold down back.

Here’s a summary of punishes so you can easily remember:

Slide:

cr.mk xx MP Lunge 170 dmg

cr.mk xx LP Shoulder 160dmg (Can cancel into genei-jin)

Blanka balls:

On block -

HP Lunge - 130dmg

On Hit -

EX shoulder- 150dmg

For HP/MP on block if they’re close, dash cr.mp>st.mp xx HK Upkicks, or into genei-jin etc.

EX Upball:

No meter:

Block

HP Lunge - 130
MP Shoulder - 125 ( Can cancel into Genei-Jin, wait a bit MP Lunge>Hop kick x2>st.MP>Hop kick etc.)

Block/Hit

EX Shoulder - 150

Ultra 1:

If you block the first hit and he’s on the way up and you want to avoid chip, you can beat him clean with LK Upkicks. If you block all first blow low, then high, then keep blocking high, and after his last hit focus level 2 (time it so it hits him as he touches the ground) into cr.mp>cr.mp>cr.mp>cr.mk xx MP Lunge for 280dmg.

And **** Blanka. Hope this helps.

I was in endless earlier and got a gief player to try to reversal SPD me after a block light shoulder, and it didn’t work. Isn’t that suppose to be punishable since Yun is -3 on block?

Yun VS Ryu

you have to be a little patient in this match. in this match is try to bait his c.MK. because he will try to play footsies with you. when you know he will stick a c.MK do a LK dive kick to punish and do your BnB. If he is fireball happy neutral jump or jump over DO NOT dive kick because he will DP you or shoot another fireball. dont try to shoulder him because of the slow start up and he can get DP out of it. you are close enough to punish him for throwing a fireball, j. HP works into BnB.

on wake up do not try to dive kick on front because on reaction he will DP you. when get in corner always do a late dive kick because it will cross up and you will able to get a BnB land. also when u score a knock down wait until you see him get up DO NOT spam a dive kick because it will trade and if he has ULTRA then he gets it for free.

Yun VS Ken

This is very familiar to Ryu’s match but with a few changes.

to close space Ken’s will do f.MK to get some space and get a poke. MP beats it if Ken hits you on the tip of his toes anything closer its a trade. as the same with Ryu do not try to do dive kick on wake up due to DP.

Yun VS Sagat

if you get close to him he will s.HK or DP you. Sagat players like spamming tiger shots but he has a slower recovery, so you are close to him jump over a tiger and u get can a dive kick in and land a BnB. palms work really wonders during this match with tiger knees. just get your spacing correct and it stuffs it every time.

Yun VS Gief

This is the most hardest match that you have to deal with. what i try to do is at first create some space at the beginning of the match and do a few palms do build 1 meter. then this is all up to your reactions come into play. the few ways he can get in is jump, j. HP (extend his arm low), j. LK, or green hand. remember if you block a green hand always throw him closer to the corner. your spacing has to be very careful because the buff on SPD and it HURTS. if you think you are to close, then you are. if he green hand and it wiffs he should be buffering for a SPD. back dash and punish with a lunge. j. LK can be easily punished with dragon kicks. when Gief j. HP at you do a LK dragon kicks to punish. try to build meter and dont waste it. when geif jumps in you get a punish genei jin to maximize you damage. if he does lariat really close to you and wiffs cr. MP, cr. MP, s. mp, HK Kicks or a basic c. MK xx medium lunge will make him learn not to spam it. you just have to be super patient on this match up.

st mp s hp and f hp are some good normals vs gief,just be unpredictable with them so he can’t jump in.

You guys have any tips for the Balrog and Dudley matchup??
I’m new to playing Yun, after playing Ryu for so long it’s definitely a different match up without projectiles.
**Any thing will help thanks.

LP shoulders pushes out of spd range, even in the corner, even after the stupidly buffed spd range.

I’ve seen daigo abusing the hell out of is vs geif.

Balrog Vs. Yun

When I played JS Masters All I did was build meter. Balrogs LOVE to throw straight dash punches. FA them if you like, bait the armor breaker (on block you can crouching jab punish into your BnB.) When you see him throw out a sweep you can jump DK it into whatever you want.

Balrogs Wake-up game vs. Yun.

EX headbutt: MK Divekick crosses him up and you can Sweep target combo anywhere on the map. Try Cr.MK Into dash punch and let me know the results)
Dash punch (non ex): Gets beat out by DK
Non ex headbutt: Loses to MK divekick since it crosses over.
Ex dash punch (any): MK divekick with get absorbed but you can Cr.Mk dash palm that shit allllllll day long!

Balrog has no options vs Yun on wake-up. However, he can mash the shit out of jab.

I used U1 but U2 is great too. Can punish all of his wake-up options with OSing it.

I just wait for Balrog to come to me, your palm beats all the dash punches out and you can uppercut Jump backs. Abuse the command throw unless he mashes jabs, then see if you can grab him out of those jabs/ uppercut them.

My question for you guys is: Akuma vs Yun, Help please?

What about kara spd? It probably won’t be a guaranteed punish, but letting the Yun player know that you can kara spd surely must make him want to backdash and/or jump away after doing lp.shoulder, which won’t exactly put it in Yun’s favor anymore.

You could just neutral jump and free combo if they try to spd/karaspd/walkupspd after a shoulder.