You're Not Gonna Like This One Bit! - Hwoarang Match-up Thread

Post help and tips for specific character match-ups with Hwoarang.

Abel

Spoiler

Akuma

Spoiler

Asuka

Spoiler

Balrog

Spoiler

Bob

Spoiler

Cammy

Spoiler

Chun Li

Spoiler

Cole

Spoiler

Dhalsim

Spoiler

Guile

Spoiler

Heihachi

Spoiler

Hugo

Spoiler

Hwoarang

Spoiler

Ibuki

Spoiler

Jin

Spoiler

Julia

Spoiler

Juri

Spoiler

Kazuya

Spoiler

Ken

Spoiler

King

Spoiler

Kuro

Spoiler

Kuma

Spoiler

Law

Spoiler

Lili

Spoiler

M. Bison

Spoiler

Marduk

Spoiler

Megaman

Spoiler

Nina

Spoiler

Ogre

Spoiler

Pac-man

Spoiler

Paul

Spoiler

Poison

Spoiler

Raven

Spoiler

Rolento

Spoiler

Rufus

Spoiler

Ryu

Spoiler

Sagat

Spoiler

Steve

Spoiler

Toro

Spoiler

Vega

Spoiler

Xiaoyu

Spoiler

Yoshimitsu

Spoiler

Zangief

Spoiler

Reserved.

I’m having a terrible time with Hugo, Heihachi, Kazuya, and Rolento. Anyone have any tips?

I’m just theorycrafting right now but could hwo’s standing lp/lk beat clean after rolento’s 1st rekka? If it can you go into mp then back into lp for tekken string which causes a ground bounce then go into a bnb of your choice (I do cr.mk into his QCB+HK move)

Block rolentos pressure and jump back with a normal or aa if u see him get on the pogo also the first rekka is negative one so only cr.lk should be able to beat him but it should beat it clean cuz his fastes poke is 4 frames

Alpha counter destroys Rolento’s rekkas

Anyone have any advice against vega? I have trouble getting past his pokes.

So I think M.Bison is the absolute worst matchup for Hwoarang. Incredible speed on the ground with great pokes and a teleport to get out of mixups. I have no idea what to do against this guy.

I completely forgot about this game mechanic until I saw your post. I also have never had anyone do it to me, so I think I’m not the only one. Time to go practice this.

I’ve had a decent amount of success with Light Hunting Hawk. I don’t know the frame data, but it feels safe, and it blows up his pokes. I don’t think he has anything that can punish it (if it’s punishable at all).

Light HH is -4 at the most, but can be made very safe with good spacing! I find I am having the worst time against Gief teams…not sure what to do once they have me backed up in the corner and spam, standing short to standing strong chains…-_-

Spinister, have you tried Alpha Countering?

I just grabbed a Vega out of his roll attack. It was before the first hit. Worth exploring in training mode.

Thanks for the tips guys.

Start up on his roll attack is pretty bad, in SF4 people have focused dashed back my c.mp and threw the start up of the RCF. Although it probably won’t work on the LP version, quick reactions can nab the MP and HP versions.

What does everyone think of the Guile MU? I think it’s in Hwoarang’s favor.

U can also hit him out of it or trade before the last hit and the guile mu isn’t that bad just cuz we can change our landing times wit dive kick

vs Hugo:

Hugo players use to give me a lot of trouble. After learning a couple tricks against him, I have a couple tips about the matchup.

1. Spacing: Hugo at point blank range is deadly due to a lot of mixup opportunities. Keep your spacing and poke with cr. HK or lk Hunting hawk at max range.

2. Cross cancel: If you’re being pressured, remember to cross cancel (forward HK+HP immediately after block). This takes a meter, but it is a hard knockdown that puts you on the offensive, which is where you want to be against Hugo.

3. Lariat Charge: I feel this is hugo’s weakness in this matchup. Capitalize on Lariat Charge spammers.
    If you are grounded: Wait for the forward dash cancel out of Lariat and sweep right after to punish, Opening him up for mixups.
    You can also jump towards him and do flashing trident. The double attack breaks the super armor and opens up for a meaty combo.
    Be sure to keep him guessing by adding in j. mp cross ups.

4. On knockdown, feel free to cross him up. His only out is his backbreaker and only his EX Backbreaker has invulnerability frames, so wale on him if there’s no meter.

As usual, do maximum damage on Hugo whenever possible. Taking a look at the combo thread should give good ideas of high-damage combos.

There’s other tips that I know of the matchup but aren’t coming to mind at the moment. If someone still has problems with Hugo, I’d be glad to shed more light on the topic.

Anyone else having trouble with Dhalsim and run away Ryus?

I haven’t fought too many Dhalsim’s still that give me trouble, but Juri is my character on point, so I usually do Hwoarang’s hardwork for him with her. LK HH, B+MK, special step and special step canceled into specials can beat some of his stuff.

As for Ryu, if he runs away, just make your way in slowly. The stage will eventually end. He’ll have to move forward or jump forward at that point. Read the situation. If he keeps neutral jumping or fireballing, specials step xx Sky Rocket. If he’s spamming cr. MK, look to punish his whiff with a LK HH or sweep. Patience really.

Of course that’s all easier said than done at times. Run away and rush down run this game.

Can we have a little more elaboration vs Dhalsim? Last one I played spammed jump backs and stretchy arms in the air. I was kinda at a loss on what to do as Hwoarang. Special step won’t go through physical attacks unless EX, and Air Raid would be beat out by the attack. For some reason also, if I tried SSxx Sky Rocket, it would always come up short. Of course at points the guy would teleport behind me and start all over again.

Any advice vs Zangief?
I found that if you can predict a green hand while he’s trying to get in on you you can easily Sweep it. It has such good range Gief doesn’t have many options to this… besides jump or do a EX Green Hand, maybe Lariat too. This really gives you some space though.
I find myself in the corner in this matchup constantly being pressure by his cr.lp I believe it is into a simple boost combo. Hwoarangs standing lk can out poke it sometimes but I am out of options as far as that. Any game plans or ideas ?
Anything can be useful.