"Your fighting is predictable..." Yang Match-up Thread

You can’t do an Ultra off of his command grab… It only gives him +7 and from the frame data U1 has an 8 frame start up and U2 I believe has a 9 frame start up

You are correct, you can’t land ultra directly.

However, cl. st.mk has a 7 frame start-up and is jump cancelable. you can hit the stand mk and then jump cancel-dive kick to ultra 1 with full animation. This allows you to hit ultra without meter. If you have meter you can combo off cr.mk into rekka punches into either ultra 1 or 2.

this is similar to fei-longs command grab, st.hk xx super except you get ultra every round and don’t need to use super bar.

I love how we’re making OSes for a character most of us have never played. xD;

Has anyone noticed a move that has a good hitbox to beat shit like Adon’s wallbounce? I think I’ve heard low fierce has a good hitbox for that, but I don’t entirely know.

I mean if the Japs are doing it in vids and they are noticed and work, why not go ahead and put them down and already have em at the ready?

As for the other question, I’ve got nothing, and it’s better to wait for the hitbox data to solve that I guess =/

I said I love it; it’s a good thing. ;3

I’ve played enough Yang to be able to conceptualize a little bit. I plan on winning the first AE tournament that’s gonna happen like 5 days after console release, so I need to get the tech in order now :rofl:

My bizzle. I thought it was sarcasm!

I have a lot of stuff that I’ve thought about OSwise and theory wise though with matchups. I don’t know if they are open to discussion though.

What are Yang’s bad matchups? I’ve heard so far Gief and Boxer, but does he have more?

It might be a player thing and not a character thing, but I’ve notice a lot of Yangs have struggled against Makoto and Sagat.

I feel like yang has alot of bad match ups personally, well not lopsided like gief but a decent amount of 4.0-4.5 range

Yang has a hard time fighting people who have high damage output, better range/priority pokes (aka sagat/makoto) or better up close. So actually alot of people come to mind like bison, chun, blanka, hawk, ken, viper, honda.

Since his dive kicks are horrid compared to yun’s he focuses alot more on his ground game.
His c.mk , s.mp pokes have decent range but either whiff or get stuffed by alot if you throw it during footsies.
HK and HP are decent as well, but I don’t get much return from them.

I have poured alot of money and time into learning him at my arcade and I honestly think out of all the new characters in AE he is the weakest. However I enjoy playing him the most and will continue to main him despite the hardships I feel he has vs alot of common characters.

I personally think Yang kills the shit out of Viper. high damage doesn’t mean anything when you’re playing against a character that pretty much locks you down completely.

I think Yang’s worst matchups are like Bison, Gief, blanka, and maybe hawk in no order. He is definitely better than evil ryu and oni [though evil ryu is pretty buff].

His divekick is not as fast as Yun’s, but it’s still a divekick and can still be difficult to stop.

Ex Teleport alone makes Burn Kicks shenaningans on wake-up less effective.
Still, blanca? Electricity does bother with divekicks, but he should lose in ground game big time.

Yang has NO issue against Sagat, nor Ryu, Makoto, Viper, Chun, Ken, Honda or Blanka.

None? I could see a few issues with Viper, Chun, Honda, Makoto, and Blanka.

Viper is just one of those match-ups that’s a pain in the ass until you learn it. I’m sure that after a few weeks we’ll have an OS or two that doesn’t cost meter that beats Viper’s BK bullshit. Throw tech OS low fierce probably is the best option, but we still don’t know hitboxes completely.

Chun, at the end of the day, has better tools in the mid-game. Yang feels like he wants to play footsies with his far strong, low forward, far fierce and far roundhouse but Chun just has better tools. Chun isn’t free once Yang gets in, either; Yang doesn’t do crazy damage, but he does consistent damage. The question in the Chun match-up is how many times you can get past her s.mp, s.hp, s,hk, and c.hk bullshit and do damage, and if (during those times you get in) you do enough damage to Chun to warrant the damage you took getting in.

Same shit with Sagat, but not as extreme. Sagat’s probably 5.5-4.5, Sagat’s favor. Vanilla lk tiger knee is back. ):

Makoto is just scary as hell with her buffs. Shit like s.mp is a fucking wall, and she does good damage. She’s sort of like a mini-gief, and punishes Yang hard for any mistakes. Granted, this could be just like thinking Dudley would be top tier in SSFIV, but god damn she hurts.

Honda and Blanka fall sorta into the same shit. Honda has enough HP and defensive options where he can literally just jab xx HHS Yang a few times and turtle down (and Blanka can jab xx electricity to a lesser extent). Honda is the closest thing to a tank in SF4 (besides maybe Gief, and Yang struggles v. Gief as well), so I can see Honda v. Yang being a 6-4 match-up, Honda’s favor. On this note, does anyone know what punishes headbutt and Blanka ball on block for Yang, yet? I assume U2.

I also think Dictator could be a bad match-up, but it’s probably around 5-5.

And, side-note. Why keep comparing Yang’s dive-kicks to Yun’s when we’re not talking about the Yang-Yun match-up? Be worried about what Yang can do with his dive-kicks in particular instances, rather than what Yun could do. Just seems counter productive.

Can you confirm if mk/hk roll kick or U2 can punish blanka balls and headbutts yet? If not that would be a good thing to test out for sure.

Speaking of Honda, you should be able to beat out headbutt with OS lk roll kick. Also, because of the pushback of hands now so that he can’t do double hands without ex, if you see a whiff you can punish hands with a dp allbeit risky for some to do. Test that out too whoever has a honda in the area and has access to the game.

About Viper and Sagat, one of the keys to people beating them is to use a move to lower your hitbox to make burn kick/tiger knee whiff and then punish them. Maybe try cr. lk/cr. mk to make this happen?

forward/rh rolling kick is too slow to punish blanka balls if I remember correctly. You need EX rolling kick. U2 punishes it fine, but the timing is a little tight. Headbutts cannot be punished unless it’s a blocked fierce headbutt, and even then EX slash was the only thing connecting, even with reversal timing.

flame kick and tiger knee can both be ducked by c.short, timing isn’t so bad. c.forward is much more difficult.

Be serious now. Everybody has something that beats somebody elses stuff. Overall, the question is “Is Yang at an overall disadvantage against these characters?” Hell no.

Blanka balls became MORE punishable in AE, you can do almost anything you want to him. U2, EX Roll, dash up F.HP xx something.

Chun is still free on wakeup.

Viper gets locked by Yang’s normals

Honda is a bit rough, you can’t punish headbutt, but you can apply much more pressure.

Makoto hits hard, but overall she has nothing good mixups can’t get around.

Ermm, blanka ball is only directly punishable by EX roll kick and ultra 2 - both require meter. This means can chip away at your health with normals canceled into ball [and because of Yang’s low health, the chip is pretty significant] and you can’t do anything less you get some meter. Dash up anything is INCREDIBLY slow, there is no way you can punish with a dash -> attack. If you’re talking about fierce ball, then that’s whatever because anything punishes that.

More importantly, Blankas normals like s.rh or s.fierce are very good anti-airs against Yang, forcing you to fight him on the ground where, of course, you will eat a bunch of blocked blanka balls. Up ball is unpunishable by everything other than EX roll, which again, requires meter. More or less, this allows him to do hop -> ____ a little more easily since he’s not punished as easily for it [though the solution is to hit him when he hops].

Chun gets difficult to get in on. While she’s not too big of a deal on wakeup, [using option selects and whatever], you have to actually -get in-. While she doesn’t hit hard, she’s good at keeping characters out and that means it can be problematic.

Makoto is just like 3s now, scary and random. She does a ton of damage, has a normal that pretty much always beats divekick [s.strong], and kills you for doing a mistimed crossup. she’s got pretty good health so it takes time to kill her, whereas your health allows her to take greater risks in the gamble that you’ll die from two-ish mixups.

I agree with most of Deadeye’s points; well said.

Honda is similar to Blanka. He can HHS and do a significant amount of chip. In addition, the option that you have to punish headbutts with (EX rekkas) is completely shitty. Wastes a meter, and at least DP leaves you with a good knockdown that you can oki off of; rekkas shove Honda so far away that you really can’t do shit against him (and it leaves Honda at where he typically wants to be: away from you and with a life lead). A lot of Honda’s shit hurts Yang, hard (jab xx HHS, command grab, etc). Mix that in with his aerial normals and he’s gonna be able to keep Yang’s dive kick bullshit off of him.

Viper, as I said, is just one of those pain-in-the-ass match-ups until you learn it. Viper ends up being 5-5 (or worse) against most characters, and I’m sure that after a while Viper will end up being around 6-4 Yang’s favor.

This aside, I’d like to know what you all think about the Fei match-up. Fei can either play this match-up in two ways. He can either rush Yang the fuck down, or he can try to outpoke Yang. Both ways, I personally think Fei beats Yang.

As far as rushing down, Fei can really just throw any fucking random rekka he wants and it’s safe on block. Random CWs are retarded as fuck, but they get Fei in with ease. You could try to keep out Fei with shit like far strong, far fierce, far roundhouse, and low forward, but you really aren’t doing much damage. Fei can pretty much decide on a braindead whim to do a safe rekka or a CW and he’s in. If you guess right five times, you’re doing about as much damage as Fei gets off of a combo. If Fei gets off five decent hits, Yang is down. Hell, if he gets in one and starts some bullshit, you lose 30-40% of your health, you’re knocked down, and you’re in the corner. If he tries to play a poking war with Yang, his safe rekkas, far fiece and low fierce beat Yang’s shit for days.

Is Yang really just stuck getting a knockdown off of a DP or throw and looping safe jumps?

Perhaps I need to find some better Blankas to play against - I don’t have much of an issue with him.

How is Fei going to RTSD against Yang when can also throw out safe rekkas and DP through stuff? Yang is 5-5 vs Fei IMO.

Don’t go overstating Fei’s damage. Guessing right five times? What is this godly combo that Fei has that equates to 5 correct guesses from Yang? I’m not seeing it - Fei hardly hits hard without meter unless he gets a lucky HK/EX chickewing. One right guess takes 20% of Fei’s life without meter from Yang.

I seem to have forgotten where it was that Yang tried to play poking wars with people instead of abusing his massive frame advantage.

Fei has safe rekkas…? LP rekka is -4 on hit, MP -6 and HP -8. Yang has possibly the longest reaching 3 frame startup normal in the game in standing LK. I know a LP rekka could leave Fei too far to punish but a MP or HP rekka should always be punishable with st. lk to rekkas.