"You can do better than that!" Critique my Cody!

Vids from 2 months ago

[media=youtube]PxFZjcxsibY"[/media]

[media=youtube]0gA-LiUm9KY&feature=related"[/media]

Vids from 1 month ago

[media=youtube]gMwbKJyEUkY"[/media]

[media=youtube]65rMDTrTZAE"[/media]

No videos more recent then that, played as Ryu in last tournament and did very poorly

Well First off atleast against bison and blanka ultra 2 is a must. Against bison as much as it sucks you have to block, he did so many unsafe slides and ex moves that if you would have just sat there and punished all that stuff you probably could have won just from that.

Also you did this a lot DON’T PUT YOURSELF IN THE CORNER >.< You have so many options with him pinned in the corner why risk it with a cross up that he is probably going to block.

I’ve recently started seeing which matchups U2 is useful for, against those 2 being a good choice for it, stops random Blanka Balls, though a good Blanka never does those you could bait EX with fake rock and punish, and kills half of Bisons wakeup options. Any OS for EX head stomp/Devil’s Reverse?

Going for corner crossups is a very bad habit of mine that I need to stop doing, thanks for the advice.

the question is not where u2 is mandatory, it is where u2 is NOT mandatory. against gief I like to use u1 for instance. other then that against certain fei long players which like to use chicken wing alot and guy. no other matchup flashes to my mind atm.

would be great for advice cuz im currently still learning cody as of right now. im trying to make him my 2nd since ken is my main…i still have faith in guy tho:rock:
[media=youtube]mM0tYFUVIZM[/media]

also me againsit a good friend of mine and a good player in general IIcheckmateII
[media=youtube]g5dqeHP73bo[/media]
as u can see i clearly dont know the match up well enough. by the time the match was over i realize i wasnt playing foosies enough againist ryu lol but im currently looking at other videos for cody vs ryu to help me. yet again tips and advice would help(ALSO i CAN option select tech worth my life…its the reason i was getting thrown alot)

I would just say that in this video in the first round, try to recognize when to use s.RH as an anti-air since Gen was jumping from about half plus screen away and you would still try using b.MP instead. Otherwise good shit.

Only use fierce Criminal Uppers only during combo’s. Those were getting you hurt bad that probably could have won you the first round of game 1. In your situation, I like to use jab CH’s because at max distance, Ryu can’t punish with a sweep and if he ever tries to focus, it destroys it and scores the knockdown. For the most part though it just seemed he read you pretty well and yeah, gotta get those crouch techs.

better use u2 if available thant ex rocks to chipp on wakeup. ex rocks could be reversaled with his ultra on.

this isnt my cody, but the one in this video seems godly lol

[media=youtube]m0Nbcfg0h0A&feature=sub[/media]

so u take a video from http://shoryuken.com/f330/youre-borin-crap-outta-me~-cody-video-thread-228999/index20.html and post it here? I dont get it. read the title of the thread “critique MY cody’” this seems rather not your cody and in fact, does not need any critique. ; )

All of these are me from XBL… Other than working on execution, what do you guys think?

vs Ryu
[media=youtube]JWsmypaWA1A[/media]
[media=youtube]uw-chGdU5Rg[/media]
[media=youtube]xOZVjdMK7lg[/media]
[media=youtube]mulyJeiUFf4[/media]

vs Bison
[media=youtube]eE2ZpLL2A-0[/media]

vs Viper
[media=youtube]D3CQLkJSL0E[/media]

vs Makoto
[media=youtube]vcvyiRmf-BE[/media]

vs Abel
[media=youtube]DjTSXeNxlpM[/media]
[media=youtube]ONDmil5KNsY[/media]

vs Cody
[media=youtube]JYFrjAXqLr0[/media]

Yo, my Cody need’s critiquing so please lay it on me.
TostitoSalsa (Cody) vs HAV (Ryu)

[media=youtube]ZWu5MosBNz0&feature=channel"[/media]

TostitoSalsa (Cody) vs HAV (Dudley) 2
[media=youtube]ZIv9J9feUAQ&feature=channel"[/media]

@Squabbler: I only watched 1 or 2 of your videos but i see 2 quick things that you can work on. When you were fighting the Ryu player you never Zonked through any of his hadokens. He was throwing a lot of close to mid range hadokens and those should be free damage for cody. Also you should try to anti-air more. Like i said i only watched the first 2 videos but you only even attempted an anti-air a handful of times. Cody has plenty of good anti-air such as b.mp, s.rh, and rh.RK.

@TostitoSalsa: Good shit man. We actually have a very similar play style. As far a critiques go i dont really have any. keep up the good work

@TostitoSalsa: Your domination of HAV’s Dudley is to complete to give any criticism on that hah.

On Ryu you seem to have been conditioned to late safe jump Dudley’s uppercuts. That doesn’t work for Ryu because he has invincibility on his uppercut whereas Dudley does not. You have to do your safe jumps earlier with Ryu.

Taking apart Ryu’s crouch medium kick into fireball game is probably the 1 trick that will sway the match into your favor the easiest. You can fill that frame gap between the kick and fireball with Zonk or Ultra 2. The timing is sometimes tricky, but once you learn it can pay off a lot. Letting a bunch of low forward fireballs go unpunished early can give you a very strong and hidden comeback factor for later.

Time for the worst Cody ever to post vids :slight_smile:
[media=youtube]FABSu6nQ4J0[/media]

[media=youtube]DnZkQitBbzY[/media]

Hit me with everything you got no throwing punches :smiley:

was eatin & checked your first vid & while im not too much of a critic(cept my own worst)… i would like to point out:

near the end of the 3rd round you had 2 glorious chances to put him away

the first was obvious. after you blocked his ex upper @ 55 on the gameclock… & then threw him :sweat:
i think just about any combo wouldve finished him… crack kick>ex criminal upper or somn
w/those 3 bars you had i prolly woulda went for exzonk fadc bingo, but thats just me :razzy:

the second was the blocked ex machinegun @ the end. 100% punishable on block by u2. the blue effects ring from the blockstun doesnt even have time to dissipate before cody can say “youre makin me sleepy”

tho i thought for sure exzonk was gonna dodge that ultra lol

ya so did I thats why I did EX bingo D: and yea. I sorta blanked out after I blocked the EX upper.

I still have a lot of trouble in the Akuma match up. I used a lot of counter hit combos in this match, because I realized he was mashing shoryuken during my links. I play horrible the 2nd round, lots of hitting buttons when I should have just blocked. Anti air ruffian gets stuffed by a jumping light kick at the end to lose it, kind of disappointing.

[media=youtube]HoV70feWND4"[/media]

Hello, this is my first time posting here. Please forgive any spelling errors, my english sucks -_-

[media=youtube]H3jz4KA0Sk4[/media]

[media=youtube]TXRnX7MAdyo[/media]

[media=youtube]CnLTptfhLjs[/media]

Those videos are from a local torney that i was at, and managed to get pretty far (3rd place). I would apreciate some criticism about my gameplay. Also, what i noticed after seeing those videos, is that i need to react better against throws D:

Thank You for making this a sticky. :slight_smile:

Disclaimer: I am no cody expert and I don’t do what I “should do” either; its so easy to watch a video after the fact and critique. Also I make the same 2 mistakes I noticed in your Ryu video which is why I noticed them in the first place heh:

I didn’t see you punish his sweep. You also landed a focus crumple or 2 and didnt use your u2.

For the blanka matchup you can punish blocked blanka balls if you were standing with lk Rufian. It looked like you knew that though because you did it a couple of times with EX and didn’t try to punish when you were crouch blocking.