You are in charge of changing Hugo in the upcoming patch. What do you change?

Title.

I think Hugo would benefit from losing damage in exchange for losing recovery frames on pretty much everything. St.mp doesn’t need to do 120 damage nor does it need to have longer recovery than most sweeps. It should be 90 damage, hitbox extended to the tips of his fingers and recovery reduced by, like, half.

EX lariat should not be slowed down by absorbing hits. It defeats the purpose of infinite armour. The more hits you absorb the less likely you’ll swing in time to hit. So what happens? Your lariat gets blocked and you eat a full punish and lose 50% for all the white life you built up.

Reduce every last one of Hugo’s airborne horizontal hurtboxes drastically. Seriously. This is needed for Hugo to be a real character.

Remove Mp -> EX clap combo on grounded opponents (you can still juggle). Ex -> Mp now works instead. 430 damage for one bar is a bit ridiculous, this had to go for the rest of Hugo’s game to not be so gimmicky.

Lp clap now moves forward further and reliably cancels fireballs.

Lk lariat damage reduced to 80 and hitbox reduced horizontally slightly but is now -3 on block.

Cr./st.Lp damage reduced to 40 but are now chainable and startup reduced to 4 frames.

Damage reduced to 150 on all versions of meat squasher.

Damage on st.Hp reduced to 100, horizontal hitbox reduced to Hugo’s elbow, however armour activation gains hit-stop properties similar to Gouken’s counters.

Damage on super increased to 350.

All versions of back breaker deal 20 less damage, however lk back breaker now has startup invulnerability frames.

Life and stun now 1150.

Pretty sure that would lead to even more ridiculous damage. HP Clap, EX Clap, MP Clap RFC etc.

But it would be a big nerf to his punish game. For example you would only be able to punish LP DPs for 250 damage with those changes. So no thanks.

I would love these changes personally but I doubt we’re getting anything any time soon.

I would fix the armor and invincibility on some moves and extend the active frames of his goofy attacks so they hit on the way down… But it’s way too soon to know what is really needed at this point.

My intention was that Hp > EX clap would no longer work either, forgot to mention that.

I wouldn’t want to change much at all.

• Maybe one less start up frame on his jump.
  • Shrink the hurt box on his jumping moves to what it was in 3S.
  • Give his lariat the run speed like in 3S.
  • Give his Hammer hook armour break.
  • Let his Heavy Kick hit crouches. Seriously I don’t know what’s the point of an overhead that can’t hit crouches. Also give it’s directional trajectory back like in 3s.
  • Give claps a more generous window to cancel projectiles.

That’s the direction of changes I’d like to see.

I just feel that his matchups are too polarising. If you want to make his bad matchups better, you have to give the characters that he gives a hard time something too. That’s why I suggested some pretty widespread damage reductions and hitbox tweaks.

I don’t understand Capcom’s thoughts when they gave EX Lariat infinite armor, but didn’t have the armor last until the active frames begin, so I suppose my biggest change would be to make it so that EX Lariat has armor all the way through, so you can’t be hit out of it.
It’s already -6 on block, loses to armor break, neutral jumping, and throws, which I’m fine with, so it should at least not be able to be stuffed and instead trade at worst.

I agree. I feel EX Lariat and/or EX Meat squasher should have armor til active. As it stand you can kinda poke him out of them at the last second free. That shouldn’t beat BOTH of those options.

• c.MP cancelable like in SFxT. Adjust frame data on CLaps so we don’t get clap infinites.
  • Claps get 2 more active frames.
  • 1-hit armour on REGULAR Monster Lariat. And the armour on all versions needs to last from start up through active frames.
  • This may be personal, but I would reduce the damage on Meat Squasher (and have it differ by version, like 150/160/170/200) and give him lower-body invincibility for the non-EX versions.
  • Reduce recovery after connected Ultra Throw so I can move/attack immediately like in SF3. May not be necessary for some of you, but this irritates me no end in USFIV (and SFxT in the little I played it).
  • Reduce hurtbox on all jumping attacks. Jesus, getting hit out of the air for even thinking of pressing a button while jumping over a projectile is depressing.
  • Megaton Press can track aerial opponent’s position somewhat, instead of merely flying forward. It has no use as anti-air when it should.

mowr:

Who, exactly, does Hugo give a “hard time” to? I’ve yet to find any.

I only would request two changes.

As suggested prior, make the clap window more generous in stopping fireballs, but nothing ridiculous obviously.

Make his focus attack a bit better in terms of speed, swings very slow, too slow for my liking.

Any character that has a hard time against grapplers and then some. Yun, Yang, Rufus, Guy, Makoto and Gen I feel are all Hugo’s favour. There are some more characters I’m debating on. The list isn’t huge, it’s why Hugo is considered bottom 3 right now, but he wins those matches in such a way that I feel is too one dimensional. He needs to get improved on in most areas whilst taking away from the goofy stuff that’s currently keeping him out of 0-10 matchups across the board status. He needs to be a real character.

Against Rufus for example, test and see how much of his stuff gets straight out beaten by Hugo’s st.HP, armour or not. Half of the matchup is Rufus first trying to stop you from pressing that button.

Don’t forget about Rufus his new bnb on Hugo… I already saw it being used in actual matches, it’s disgusting.

Fix his stun animation. Increase speed of FA. Increase range on LK Lariat. Make Ex meatsquasher regular throw invincible. Increase armor through animation of ex lariat.

Why would you want that? At the moment it’s to Hugo’s advantage.

Because it should be normalized IMO.

make his dd+MK move a bit more forward and more usefull against fireballs thats it;
Or make his Clap a bit more usefull against fireballs (midscreen) one of those

This would actually “un-normalize” Hugo’s EX SPD, the rule of thumb regarding command throws is (and I believe this is true for all characters )

• Non ex version -> throw invincible, lose to attacks
  • EX versions -> attack invincible, lose to throws

Whoops, for some reason I read that as Moonsault Press, not Meatsquasher. What properties does Zangief’s EX running bear grab thing have?

As it stands now he can be thrown/jabbed out of both EX MS and EX lariat. With this tweak he can be jabbed out of EX MS but not grabbed and grabbed out of EX Lariat but not jabbed. A well timed neutral jump would still blow up both.

Give him 3000 health and make him even worse.

There’s an upcoming patch? When?