You are in charge of changing Hugo in the upcoming patch. What do you change?

My list:

• St.mp slap could have more active frames and slightly more range, to match with the animation. Right now, most character outpoke him.
  • Restore Super to the way it was in the first arcade release. With the difficulty Hugo have to land any type of damage, a high damaging Super is needed.
  • Standing and crouching LP/LK should have block adv. Currently, none of his light normals have adv on block.
  • Life 1150 rather than 1100
  • Claps having more adv on block, to apply more pressure. LP Clap for example is just +1 on block.
  • Splash, more active frames, to strengthen his game at close range.

It’s hard to tell which buffs hugo really needs. Right know it’s all what each person wants because if their frustration no offence to anybody. We need more time to properly gather information and find out what we need

Things I’d enjoy and not really all together.
1150 health.
-Better Frame advantage on normals or faster normals.
-Better Frame Advantage on Lp Clap or Faster Recovery
-Make claps Projectiles AND Strikes like Green Hand
-EX Clap doesn’t have a starting hurtbox against projectiles so you can use it closer to the opponent to combat slow projectiles a bit (I feel like I’m just making him into gief with this suggestion)
-Decrease start-up on Cr.HP/Make it airborne frame
-Faster recovery on his dashes.
-Smaller hurtbox or readjusted hurtbox on his air normals (you can get hit out of a lot of them really easy and a lot of times you can’t even hit someone without getting hit by a projectile.
-Better hitbox on his air normals (I don’t know how many times I’ve been low profiled under all my moves that aren’t St.hp or a far away J.hk) j.lk and j.mk are REALLY bad hitbox wise just check them against someone doing cr.short x N and see if you hit them.
-Faster Super running animation OR projectile inv until he’s at them (like ex Lariat is)
-Make St.Hk his crouching characters if you’re going to have it be an overhead and for fun let me control my air momentum with it so I can do weird ass AA’s with it.
-maybe Slightly less recovery on UT since it’s really slow compared to SPD.

Now these are obviously not a put this all into one just some ideas I’ve had.

Updated my suggested changes:

Walk speed increased. A good 25% both back and forward.

Hugo should deal less damage overall in my opinion. He’s the spectrum opposite of Seth where Seth can’t take a hit but has all these options, and Hugo has no really good options but hits like a dump truck to compensate. It’s obviously not good balance. He needs to have tools that just work as intended without having to rely on the opponent’s human error.

His medium normals need to lose roughly one zillion frames of recovery. St.mp should deal 80 damage but have the hitbox reach his fingertips and recover a lot faster.

Cr.mk faster startup.

His lp.clap should be able to consistently beat fireballs when timed correctly (but certainly not for free) and move Hugo further forward.

All his light normals should go down to 40 damage, but his crouching lights need to start up in 4 frames and NOT have so much recovery as to be lvl 2 focusable.

His st.hk, cr.hk, cr.hp need to all not be liability buttons on your stick. You can literally lose a round because of reaction ultra if you accidentally press one of these buttons. It’s stupid. Make these recover as fast as any other character’s heavy normal. It doesn’t matter if it doesn’t make sense or looks stupid. You shouldn’t ever have buttons that you literally NEVER press.

All versions of backbreaker should lose 20 damage but the lk version gets the same startup invul as EX.

Meatsquasher should deal 180 damage but the link to st.mp be made easy to hit consistently. With the reduction of damage to st.mp this will be a consistent 260 damage corner carry throw. Meatsquasher input should be as lenient as moonsault press.

There is no reason for any version of his lariat to be as unsafe as they are. -2 on block for all versions including EX.

EX lariat has 2 hits of armour right until the 1st active frame. If you’re absorbing more than 2 hits, you’re just going to get blocked anyway.

Lariats changed to punch input. There is too much overlap on the kick inputs.

St.hp damage reduced to 100.

Health and stun to 1150.

I have to ask why faster Cr.mk? I think it’s fine the way it is since it’s got such a far reach and isn’t that negative on block.

It’s almost useless as a reaction whiff punish for anything that isn’t a DP.

But if you compare it to other Sweeps it’s pretty good. only -7, 10 frames or some of start-up, really far range. It’s a give and take if they made it faster they’d take range from it or made it more unsafe.

Revert him to how he was in the pre-release arcade version. Done.

hitboxes

Clap to negate fireball easier

s.HK causing hard knock down.

S. Mp hit box extended to his fingertips.

Less pushback on claps on block

And that’s about it.

Hugo is supposed to be a dumb, slow, hulking monstrosity that will break you in half if he gets near you. I want my damage.

First off, his startup needs to be re-worked.

His moves are just too slow. he can be stuffed out of even most of his normals pretty easily. outside his spd, Hugo actually feels WEAK up close. this should not be the case.

I’d want the majority of his normals to have decreased startup, bringing him more in line with the rest of the cast.

HOWEVER, to keep it balanced I’d keep the recovery the same. this way people can no longer get in your face and go nuts, but at the same time you can’t just mash buttons in footsies and abuse his range mindlessly.

For most of his normals. EXCEPT his crouching hards.

His crouching hard buttons need SERIOUS recovery drops. they have the sort of recovery you’d expect from an ultra, not a godamn normal.

it’s like having a fucking landmine on your controller. accidently hit one of them, and give your opponent a free jumpin combo. I once accidentally whiffed a crouch HK from half screen, and the opponent STILL had enough time to jump over and combo me before I could recover. that’s absurd.

EX lariat and Squasher need to be armored from start to finish, 100%. as it is now, you can be jabbed out of either, which kinda defeats the entire purpose of armor.

There is no reason for the armor to run out like it does. there are already several ways to beat them(armor breakers, jumping, crouching, throwing…) they shouldn’t also lose to button mashing.

His hitbox needs some reworking. if you hit a button while jumping over a fireballs, his HB will somehow extend behind him and get you hit, even though the ball clearly never touched you.

There may be other things, but that’s the main issue. his startup is so slow people can just go nuts in his face, his big armored moves can paradoxically be beaten by button mashing, and you can land hits on his weird box without even trying.

100% agree with everything you said. Down heavy kick u son of a bitch long ass recovery ass move lol. OMG. And when I hit strong punch to try to play footies the other player, he has enough time to jump in on me and do a full combo. SoOO annoying

Hugo SHOULD hit really hard, while being kinda awkward… otherwise we might as well play another character.
Suggestions:

More health.

Smaller hurtbox on jumping normals.

Claps should be able to neutralize projectiles more easily.

Some suggestions for his weirder normals:

cr.HP
suggested purpose – allow Hugo a way to antiair close vertical jumps outside of EX BB.
suggested properties – Adjust startup, hitbox, and hurtbox so that it at beats vertical jump attacks/trades favorably with meaty jump attacks; Add hard knockdown; Keep horrible recovery

st.HK
suggested purpose – High-risk, high-reward overhead.
suggested properties – Make it do a ridiculous amount of stun damage (like Gief’s headbutt); Adjust hitbox so that it can hit crouching opponents; Keep horrible recovery

cr.HK
suggested purpose – “get off me” move that beats grounded strikes
suggested properties – Add armor; Keep horrible recovery

after playing him for a while i think he needs to either get projectile invincibility or faster run speed when he does his clothesline so we can at least punish fireballs when we have meter i think i heard that the armor slows hugo down so the person who does the fireball recovers before you can hit them
armor all the to the end of clothesline if it stays like that
a better jumping hit box so we can do jumping hk or mk over a fireball.
faster normals i feel like you can just focus through everything he does.
claps hitbox reduced so we can actually knock out fireballs with it.
i would like his crouching hp to faster start up…
standing hk can actually move in the air and hit people crouching…
faster recovery on dash…
better inputs on his movies…im tired of miss inputs
i think if they gave him a better way to take care of fireballs he will not be as bad. i think he does really well against anyone who doesn’t have a fireball.

Being able to cancel his MK HK and EX Lariats while he is running would be awesome. Right now the MK and HK versions have absolutely no utility.

actually one thing i wanted to ask when you do his medium lariat his running animation changes half way through does that do anything?

I would really love for crouching mp to be special cancellable but it would probably cancel into lp clap which might be way too good.

Ever since we might actually get a update. http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2014/jul/12/combofiend-ultra-street-fighter-4-balancing-isnt-finished-cites-issues-yun-seth-dee-jay-edition-select-coming-online-update/

I would change this.

Standing normals
Reduce recovery on MP
Increase armor on HP to 2-14f
Increase hitbox on HK so it doesn’t whiff on certain crouching characters even though it’s a overhead >.<

Crouching normals
Decrease recovery on mp
Decrease start-up on HP making it a better AA
Increase hitbox on HP making it a better AA
Mp special cancelable.

Unique attacks
f+HP Increase stun to 400.

Special moves.
Decrease advantage of LP GPB to +7 on hit so you can’t loop.
All GPB are projectile inv. on start-up making them clap projectiles easier.
Increase hitbox on M and H BB.
Increase BB Juggle Potential so it can be used after airborne Super and 2 claps.
Decrease pushback on all GPB on block and hit.
Decrease start-up on UT to 8 frames. (Frame data says it’s 7 but it’s a lie. You can’t punish Dudley’s EXMGB and that’s -8)
Able to cancel M H EX Lariat and All MS with PPP. (Hugo will do his cancel stance which he also does with his Super)
Able to FAFC all Lariat, (LMH -3. EX +1)
Increase armor duration on EX Lariat and EX MS so he can’t get jabbed out of it.
Increase damage on M and H MS and decrease damage on EX. (180,230,200)
Increase walkspeed on EX MS making it look similar to EX Lariat.
Give L MS lowerbody inv.
Increase walkspeed on Super, increase inv. on Super
Super cancel animation can be Special or Ultra cancelled. (Making EX Lariat PPP-cancel U1 possible.)
Increase BB damage after Super back to 160.

That’s it.
Lariat PPP-cancel and clap buffs should help him making fireball characters somewhat manageable.
Hitbox increase on M and H should help against blankaballs and in general punishing instant overheads that are also jumping away.
HP buff should help with his anti-poking game.

This sounds like a great list to me.

Give him parries.

/thread