Yoshi, worst in the game

Stopped reading after this.

uh…his moves dont cancel lol. light yes, mid yes, but not, light mid special…only light mid ex special…

So you expect me to spam that one move over and over? -_- That one move does not justify his other faults…

To put it simply, you’re right, but mostly wrong.

Nobody can cancel their chains into regular specials, chains can only be canceled into ex, super or cross arts

You have to link, that’s how the game engine works.

Read the combo thread.

I fucking hate tier lists and what top players say for a few reasons, this is the reason were having this discussion.

1. What ends up being good on tiers is almost always determined by the top players, this is good right? No because the top players don’t give us an accurate representation of the whole spectrum. Like with the SF4 series everyone thought Adon was balls bad for a long time, then gamer bee or some other fucker starts repping him and low and behold everyone dick rides until Adon is a top dog.

2. As soon as someone like Daigo, Justin Wong, or Alex Valle says something about a character its the word of god. Its not, Justin Wong isn’t going to be sitting in the lab with a character like yoshimitsu labbing out new tech because he doesn’t want to waste time. That stuff is up to us, if 99% of people stopped following what top players said the health of the game would be so much better off.

That being said Yoshi is gonna need a lot of work, he’s awkward, unsafe, and his cr. mk hits mid which sucks. But he has potential due to his meter less damage output and decent normals.

That’s not what it looked like your initial post was suggesting:

“Only his light hits cancel” suggests his mediums can’t cancel.

The game was never given time to breathe before NRS waded in with their endless reams of updates. While it’s true to say Jax is better now than he was before, there’s no real way of gauging how good he was in MK9 1.0 because barely anybody seemed to be investing time in him.

He’s considered bad now because there are more easy characters to just be braindead with. Rufus, Rolento, Hugo… not much thought going on there, just complete basics. On paper, Yoshi is bottom tier right now - but, for all we know, he could have an infinite. Just ignore the tier lists for now, actually try to develop the character and make him C/B/A/S tier.

yoshi has so much stuff you guys are missing out on, people here are saying his headbutt is only hittable with either the triple roundhouse or a standing medium, both are correct but you can basically do anything else aswell, fierce, sweep, super, cross art.

really have you guys tried this in training? the headbutt can hit allmost anything after it and you most definately don’t need a counter to throw a low or standing short after it. if you manage to land a counter hit though you can do a light or EX windmill or even an EX breath to continue comboing. it’s hard to see but it’s do-able since Yoshi’s headbut recovery takes a year lol.

and oh windmill as an anti air, you sure? stick to j.hp if you don’t want to get traded 24-7. the start up is alot and if you face anyone with a ryu style j.mk then there is no other possibility than a trade for some reason, try it in training mode, it trades every time. seeing that alot of characters have a solid jump in kick j.hp is the way to go because it blocks off half of the opponent’s airspace.

next to that, if someone jumps at you from a distance (Assuming you’re allready in flea stance because when someone takes distance that’s what you try, going in flea stance) do a neutral jump with flea stance, you never need timing for that ever again. just make sure you ONLY do it with a jump from a distance, or else you’ll just get hit if they’re not in their downwards arc. if you’re smart enough you can figure out yourself what you can do after the neutral jump. :wink:

Yoshi worst in game? Oh yeah totally, lets see

• He has some of the best tag synergy with hit confirms into Windmill ( Full Fierce/roundhouse Neutral Jump starting combos, easy 420 dmg 1 bar combos at the very least )
  • J.Fierce great for building meter and controlling space ( save for Hugo )
  • S.Short, Close S.Strong, and Cr.Fierce are good normals
  • Jump.Forward is great for gross ups
  • Decent Anti Airs, Very good Anti Airs with EX meter
  • Some pretty alright utility specials like Flea Stance crouching dodging fireballs and EX-Stone Fist having Hyper armor
  • Decent teleport

Not top tier features, but I fail to see why he would be the worst char in the game with these features and hidden potential ( safe to say since the game has been out for like a week ). Also Windmill is one of the best things in this game since it drags your opponent next to your best mix up character and there is not much they can do about it since you can always alter the timing. Compare Yoshi to a character like Bison ( A tier wtf? ) who is lost in a game where throws are near useless, and he lacks good mix ups on top of that. At least Yoshimitsu has an overhead.

/rant

Actually Yoshi was always one of the worst characters in the Tekken games. It’s kind of a tradition for him to be bad.

Although…in Tekken he was pure art. He had so many moves, so many out of the world stances (one of em actually heals him) and so many tools that actually help him out. He was just hard as hell to use, but that didn’t stop him from winning tournaments.

It’s a totally different case in SFxT though. He’s just flashy in this game and I can’t think of anything going for him. He’s so…sluggish.
Iunno though, kinda early to tell.

Good news guys.
Yoshi is now ‘officially’ the worst character in the game, meaning that when Yoshi players whoop ass, the opponent has no excuse. :slight_smile:

If Yoshimitsu’s the worst in the game, this game must be pretty balanced.

There’s a positive attitude^ I kinda agree. I haven’t really felt at a disadvantage with Yoshi yet, however, there have been cases where Heihachi does most of the work on my team. I think it’s safe to say that wherever Yoshi places in the balance tiers, he’s a guaranteed S tier when it comes to design. His win quotes alone have to be the best in the game.

Jax was patched a crap ton of times before he became god tier

I feel like to use Yoshimitsu well, you really REALLY have to out play your opponent. Windmill is great for whiff punishing, but other than that, his stuff is pretty unsafe. The range on his normals are deceptively shorter than one would anticipate so you have to master spacing with him.

The thing I am really pissed off with about Yoshi though, is that he has like nothing from what he had in the Tekken series compared to what the other Tekken characters have. Wheres his copter? Or atleast give him some more options from Flea, make his normals better. Like of all things they gave him suicide… Sure, +10 for style points if you hit it in a match, +20 if you win with it, but seriously, get rid of the thing entirely and give him another stance or SOMETHING fucks sake! >:(

I feel like Capcom really cut corners on this guy, I was most looking forward to him and I am most disappointed with him.

Not to say that someone might discover something with Yoshi and not to say that he’s totally unusable, but in comparison to his Tekken brothers and sisters, he got jack shit.

Thus are the ramblings of a Yoshimitsu player.

Edit: A better walking speed, SOMETHING!! Seriously, the guy is a fkn ninja samurai badass, why is he slow as fuck AS WELL?!

Actually, the more I play with yoshi, the more i like him. I can control the pace of the match, punish from almost everywhere and set up so many tag cancel with so low hits ( = less damage scaling). I paired him with Law now and I think I’m on the right way :slight_smile:

People who say Yoshimitsu sucks don’t realize how amazing Windmill is yet. On block I build back more than half a bar of meter (safe tag cancel for 0.5 meter loss). On hit I deal 400+ damage. That is so good.

You charge Windmill and if you see them whiff a poke, a special or an air attack you let go and follow with a tag cancel, frame trap or mixup.

And you can also charge cancel to avoid pokes, specials, jump in attacks and dive kicks. How many other characters have a charge move that moves them back and reduces the size of their hittable box? Not many. But it’s so damn good to have.

I’ve seen quite a few Yoshimitsu replays and I think a lot of them are not using his teleports enough or don’t really know when to use them. They are super unsafe on recovery so you don’t tele for pressure. You teleport to make reversals whiff and to ass out. I kinda wish one of the back versions would always teleport Yoshimitsu full screen instead of putting him at sweep range where he is vulnerable to crouching forwards though. That always makes teleporting a gamble unless the opponent is cornered.

His anti-airs are decent but unfortunately online lag makes most of them not reliable enough. So he has to air-to-air for defense. That’s when his target combo comes into play.

His pokes have shorter range than you would expect, but they still have longer range than characters like Ryu, Kuma, and Jin so I don’t complain.

I must admit i think Yoshi is the worst…how ever what really matter is how far is the “worst” from the “best” in this game. Personally very little to were I feel the better player will always do better. I think one can learned a lot from playing yoshi than using one like RYU/Raven who tool pretty much play the game for you.

After being in the lab with Yoshi over the past few days I have concluded, he has more than enough tools, if, and only if, he is played by an intelligent player, to wreak havoc on whatever the opposition

He’s an unorthodox character. That’s going to make people claim he’s bad despite how much potential he clearly has.

In other words a relatively new to fighters (40hours in SFxT, first official “want to be good at” fighter) player should not be learning Yoshi.