Yoshi, worst in the game

Hes tekkens iconic character…why!? Even the pros say so…

Hey, it’s too early to say that. Remember when people thought Adon was bad? Remember when people said She-Hulk was bad? Just give it time, I’m sure someone will find something great in Yoshi.

Well it must be true if the pros said so…just like adon, just like rocket racoon, just like Kogs T Hawk or Amiyus Gen…oh let’s not forget Kurodas Q!

Agreed with the other post - give it chance. The game is a week old.

No offence but your post contributed a big fat 0 to proceedings.

I know…everyones been saying that, but compared to the other characters, SO FAR, he’s not that great. 0 to proceedings? I just didn’t want to bore you…

CONS:
Only his light hits cancel, ex can cancel after mid hits, but not fierce
Slow movement speed
Short range, even though he has a sword -_-
Super only hits when opponent is standing
Limited combos
All specials are unsafe

PROS:
Jumping fierce
Jumping light punch
Teleport
Triple roundhouse for Anti Air

There are more here and there, but those are the best and the worst I feel

Of course nothing is set in stone. Especially when the game is like a week old.

But your counter argument is no good.
The player behind the character doesn’t change the fact that the character is bad.

ugh, why are people judging who’s bad when the game has only been out a week >.>

He’s not top tier for sure. But he can fight.

The spinning sword special is really good, the ex version can punish lots of stuff as it’s really fast on startup. Got to find a realiable anti-air though… (without using meter)

BTW, hey. I’m new :slight_smile:

That’s a fair point about the player and character, but I can’t accept comments about a character being bad a week into the game. Take SSF4 for example where the opposite happened - Dudley for God Tier, Cody was too good, juri was going to rock the world and then there was the famous Justin comment about Adon! Week 1 predictions are just flakey at best, but I respect the fact people will have opinions and views, which of course often differ and also make things interesting.

Personally I am undecided as to whether Yoshi has legs or not yet. What I will say is people are going about him wrong on the whole:

IMO he should be second with some meter gems to make the most of meter that has already been built and come into the match at a postion of advantage to build more and use his best tools. Loads of people seem to want to have him first where he has to postion himslef more and play footsies, possibly AA…etc. When he comes in second he can use his amazing j.hp and j.mk way more effectively and it negates his lack of speed, movement and quirky poking game somewhat. He also has close to if not 1 full bar once in so all his unsafe stuff can be made safe, he has all his best options and can at least get people off him too.

His forward throw is hugely important to him as it puts you at optimum range for his cross up or fake cross up with j.lp…press mk after the apex of your jump and you get cross up, press lp after the apex and it lands in front after his forward throw spaces you! Also j.lk looks like his j.mk so empty jump mix ups can be used.

His punch slap u silly should be his go to combo ender without meter for me. 0 on hit and leaves you next to your opponent for a throw, bait with teleport, jump back hp…etc. perfect for tagging out of too on block and hit! Slap u silly should be treated like honda hands yet they all move you forward and because you can vary the amout of hits depending on the strength of the punch it has a built in mix up - so when will this spinning stop!

With meter he can’t be jumped at without huge risk and even without meter nj.hp is an excellent zoning and spacing tool.

His Alpha Counter/Cross Cancel is also very good and fast.

S.mp is a very good normal once you are in +6 on hit and +3 on block is great!

His s.lp has deceptive range and his hittable box is way behind it like s.mp

His forward dash is the 3rd fastest in the game and fairly short. His movement should really be forward dash to pressure, away teleport or jump back hp to retreat. If you are walking too much with him, you are a sitting target without meter.

2/3 screen punish with windmill has potential too.

His overhead is pretty solid and smashes lows to bits.

These are just some examples of what is good about him. I’m not ignoring the bad - the walk speed is terrible (and I mean terrible), he does not have much that you can throw out and be safe with (without meter) and he won’t take pressure well without meter, but overwhelming negativity week 1 is pushing it a little for me that’s all.

Edit: Also not sure about his Flea stance yet - just don’t get it!?

Now we’re talking business. I posted some stuff in the combo thread about how important close standing medium punch is to his game.

People need to remember that if you’re getting pushed into the corner, but land a combo you have plenty of options. You can either end any combo you would end with an srk with an lk poison breath instead to push them away, or juggle with something like lk, lk, mk xx teleport behind them to put them in the shitty position. This includes if your other character was in the corner, then tagged in to yoshimitsu.

Tamana maybe you should copy your post to the tech thread or write something similar in there for convenience sake. I like the positive attitude, yoshimitsu was weird in every tekken game, I don’t know why people expect him to be so straight forward in sfxt.

I feel the same way, I think Yoshimitsu is ass in this game. His flea stance gives him like zero options other than one combo setup. I’ve always mained Yoshimitsu in every game hes been in, but this is just one where I had to pass.

I feel they could improve him if they gave his flea jump, the ability to combo after and giving his poison breath more damage. Even doing an absolute full combo with Yoshimitsu, including 2 EX posion breaths, into EX stonefists…your pulling 300-350 damage max for using a shit ton of meter.

Dread, read the combo thread, using your meter for those moves is a complete waste. I have posted combos that do 300+ with one meter (if any), and there are plenty of ways to do more damage.

Also, you can combo off his flea jump into the sliding headbutt, video of it in the regular yoshi thread. You can also combo into headbutt if somebody pokes the sword with a low. Other than that I don’t really see flea being important, I don’t remember it ever being any more useful in the tekken series either.

Things that will be very important eventually are setups for ambiguous cross ups, tech for catching rolls, knowing when to teleport, and obviously what teammates are complimentary.

Also, hate to be redundant, but the game just came out. I understand how you feel though.

So what? Some characters are bad. Deal with it.

I’m liking Yoshi a lot. He’s actually a lot of fun. So what if Kazuya, Nina, Juri, Rolento, and Rufus eat him for breakfast? He’s really tricky and can play both offense and defense fairly well. I’m running Yoshi x Heihachi, and I’m doing 450 damage with one bar off a cr.MP poke xx Windmill > Tag Cancel > Hei BnB.

Just keep in mind that pros talk out of their asses all the time.

They have seriously no idea what they’re talking about half of the time.The game is new so even the so called “pros” are noobs to the game. No one should take what anyone says about tier lists seriously at this point.

Yeah I didn’t state that I know he can slide after the flea stance, into the triple roundhouse but I just feel like they should of done more with the flea stance. I did not know that you could combo with a low short on a counter, if that’t what you were saying, good to know though.

You do realize how many patches for MK there have been since launch right? He was shit when the game first came out. But not after patches.

You’re pretty much the only one talking out their ass.

These are all great suggestions, I appreciate it. Yoshi is really fun to play, but I feel so limited at times lol.

So far flea, after headbutt, can be combo-ed into triple roundhouse then gehosen. It counts as a counter if someone low kicks you, but will only hit them ONCE per flea stance.

I just hate that you can light punch, medium punch then cancel into a special lol.(without ex)

You shouldn’t really be using that many EX with Yoshi, he’s a meter building setup character. Stick to his max damage meterless combos and use the meter to a) get you out of hairy situations and b) tag in your partner so you can do some damage.

Yoshi is by far my favourite character - he definitely has his shortfalls and I often get slammed by high pressure characters but if I can train you into doing something wrong; you’re dead.

Edit: You can also link into st.mp from Flea’s headbutt slide which opens up a few more options to tag cancel or juggle.

Yea… I kinda hate that the general consensus is that “Yoshi is ass” because “I can’t figure him out”.

Any of you guys in the Texas area and on PSN? Would be cool to hop in the briefing room and figure some stuff out.

Really now.
I just wanna know how much work you’ve put into ‘figuring out’ Yoshimitsu before you start critizing him.
The fact that Windmill:
a. has 3/4 screen range
b. serves as an anti-air
c. allows you to do amazing damage because of tag-ins
makes Yoshi a pretty good character.
Sure, he’s not as flashy as someone like Jin, or Heihachi, but he’s still a pretty solid character.

Edit: You should check the discussion thread if you plan to stick with Yoshi.