WWF No Mercy for the N64

I loved playing THQ wrestling games on N64 back in the day! Wrestling games over the years haven’t been as enjoyable gameplay wise. I never though about strategy before, I just picked my favourite wrestlers. Has anybody played WWE 12 yet? I am thinking about buying a N64 controller that USB so I can play this on PC. I read some reviews that it could be the next best thing to No Mercy or Here Comes the Pain.

Wow, I had forgotten about this game. Back in the day, me and my friends would just make CAWs based on whoever or whatever and try to add them to the game as best we think they would behave. Through a friend of a friend, one time we went over to a guy’s place who played the game seriously and we all had a tournament. I went one and out because I completely missed the importance of submissions and basically had not clue one what I was doing. Regardless, I put up a CAW faq at gamefaqs that never really took off. But be damned if I didn’t love my Al F’n Bundy.

I love this game. This game alone is the reason I wish I hadn’t sold my 64 back in the day.

Just started playing this,revenge, and VP2 again with some friends.

How do you do a sleeper off a weak grapple unless you mean off a knockdown into ground sleeper?(ex. snapmare with SASC into sitdown sleeper?)

What makes x-pac meter gain so much better then everybody else?

Bradshaw HAMMER/the other high damage strike counters=F damage, Most auto counters=F/E damage.
So why would you want to put you self at risk other then the fact this hella cool to trade punches back in forth.
I wouldn’t be suprised if they mislabeled(damage and stat wise) some of the moves,I’ve caught a couple. Also I heard they’re are 3 levels of S classes(S,SS,SSS)but we only see S,this was seen with only a GS.(don’t know if its true or not.)

**Mashing(A+B):**I know this helps with getting out of submissions but what about applying them and pinning/being pinned? any1 know?

The simplest and most reliable way is just by setting sleeper to your weak back grapple. The ground submissions aren’t anywhere near as strong as the standing sleeper. The standing sleeper hold is basically the equivalent of a strong submission.

Some taunts are just better than others. That is to say they gain more attitude than taunts of the exact same length. There are a few taunts available to CAWs that can give X-pac’s a run for it’s money, but overall X-Pac’s taunt is the best in terms of speed to meter gain ratio. In terms of the default super stars, no one comes close.

Those letters are meaningless 99% of the time. They’re mostly good for fooling newbies into thinking they’ve got a super powered CAW. In terms of how strong a move (that doesn’t target flying) is, I use this system

Number of Applications to Injure a Body Part

40+ = G
36-39 = F
30-35 = E
23-29 = D
17-22 = C
13-16 = B
8-12 = A
4-7 = S

Almost all of the auto counters are G moves. The best strikes however are C&D moves. Generally speaking the C&D strikes have submission reversal. However some of them are safe when reversed or force the opponent to reverse with a strike even if they have an auto-counter. They’re not super strong, but they still injure body parts faster than the auto counters.

The only time you’ll see an auto-counter injure a body part is during an iron man match. They’re safer…but they don’t do much damage, and they don’t knock down opponents for as long.

Mashing doesn’t help when applying submissions. The only thing A+B is good for is copying your opponent’s finisher when you’re on special.

I don’t remember if it was no mercy or wrestlemania 2000 but…
holy fuck thank you for the nostalgia. I remember my brother and I doing royal rumbles every day when we were kids. this game was the shit.

p.s. Fuck farooq and bradshaw. the 2v2 title was the hardest thing I remember in that game.

In No Mercy the battle with the APA was 2 vs 1. And yeah, those sucked.

Even more so for the people who put the game in one day to find all of their data erased.

Whats the deal with the reversal system? I know if you not in hit stun you can block/parry and dodge/tech as long as it time your block or dodge. But what about being in hit stun? I’ve done it before but it seems like the timing is stricter.

Man I did not know that this game had a scene I loved this game when I was younger me and friends used to play it all the time it’s one of my favorite games of all time. Lucky I still have it and my Nintendo 64 this thread makes me want to play it lol man the memories :slight_smile:

I remember WCWvsNWO onetime I used Sting and did a stinger splash on someone who had their chest on the corner, which caused them to sway backwards stunned, then I did the deathdrop which had them knocked down and then I did the deathlock for the win, comboing all 3 of Sting’s signature moves.

wcw vs nwo revenge was better, but then again neither game had the nature boy ric flair. wooooooooo

I remember way back there was a WCW game with flair in it but you had to unlock him, and when I did the command prompt for power bomb he would instead to this crazy swag kick move that looked like a tatsumaki flair strut.

[media=youtube]5CKutMHg0oI[/media]

Also with this you couldnt be kicked out this move along with AKI Man with the punches submission hold you couldnt be kicked out and scott steniner steniner recliner you couldnt be kicked out.

In World tour and Revenge you could move the analog stick anyway and always get out of a pin and submission holds. But on the 3rd time you would use the stick on submisson you would tap out.

Miss these games tho

Hands down best wrestling game of all time, hell it was so good I didn’t even know it had a competitive scene

The Lion Tamer is pretty broke(weak grab,A-button grab(club to the back),A-button face up ankle move(Lion Tamer). So off 5 weak grabs Y2J can pretty much wrap up any match. Y2J punch parry is kinda weak,so you can keep him at bay with rapid light attacks and if he parries just parry is slow dropkick for a free knockdown.

The Cripper is pretty crazy,punch parry=armbar>crippler crossface if they haven’t tapped.

Some blowhard I know has offered me a bet. We’ll play a single 1v1 match and it’s his $100 against my $1. I’ve never played this game before but I played a lot of casual Revenge back in the day and I’ll get at least 1 match to warm up/practice. He says he’s great at the game, but really he thinks he’s the best at everything ever and I guarantee he’s never played a competitive match against anybody decent.

I’m pretty sure I have a chance, right? Assuming I get some good advice, that is.

Who should I pick and how should I fight?

I’d say first things first. Make sure he has the $100 and have it out. Then pick X-pac and spam taunts and win.

One of the things I remember about this game is the Ladder Match, and how it is the most Perfect portrayal of a Ladder Match in Wrestling Game history. Play it competitively and you’ll feel like it’s Shawn Michaels/Razor Ramon all over again. The hype from that match alone made this game a classic, and the fact that THQ hasn’t gotten it right since really says something…

No Mercy stands as one of my favorite 64 games. Not to mention favorite wrestling game. I used to make CAW’s focused on arm damage and have 8 seconds magic (or w/e that standing arm submission special was called) as the finisher. Great times. I pissed some friends off with submissions though :slight_smile: