Worst match-ups

A good Akuma will Mess Cody up just after one Knockdown.
Gief Can Mess Cody up baddd. One mess up by cody and its over, Gief wins.
And Cody’s HK Ruffian Trades with like everything of giefs, unless you do it the second he leaves the ground.

I’ve played basically every match up with good players, and the only two that honestly feel really bad are Abel and Cammy

I’m leaning towards Akuma also, but just simply being able to slide and mess up his Demon Flip games helps a lot

I’ve played the Gief match up a lot from both sides of the coin, and I honestly think it’s 5-5 now

Keep him out with rocks and long pokes, and if he jumps it’s SOOO slow now you can easily HK Ruffian on reaction (With meter, free Ultra 1)

The knife really helps here, if you have a life lead and the knife he has to do something risky to get in

Play this match smart and patient and the Gief player won’t be able to win

Feels like the Guile match in vanilla (As someone already mentioned), and that was a 5-5 also

Just trolling around, seeing that Sakeido speaks truth, shame that all of you fools suck ass at this game.

Yeah or people can just block? Honestly, having a bad wake up against a good mix-up game does not necessarily mean the characters worse off. They gave Akuma low hp and stun for a good reason, I see no reason for that matchup to be in akumas favor, no more then like 0.5 points.

Stop talking like blocking and teching isn’t a good wake up option.

Yeah good luck blocking when you have to guess between the many options akuma has…

-ambiguous crossup tatsu > sweep or straight jumping roundhouse that looks almost the same and will make you eat a fat combo

-df palm (block high, breaks focus, is a safe jump if done correctly so they can block your wake up ex zonk or whatever and punish you bad for it)

-early df palm os throw to start a low combo (block low)

-df throw (can’t obviously be blocked, nor it can be teched and if you jump out you risk because if akuma did a df palm or kick you’d be back on the ground)

-df kick and subsequent blockstrings/frame traps

-crossup air fireball or non crossup air fireball (both very very ambiguous)

-empty jump throw

-empty jump shoryuken (akuma has loads of time to see if it’s blocked or not, so they might not even have to use the ex stocks to cancel it) or ex tatsu to bait your throw tech (you genious)

Most of this shit can be option selected with a sweep, tatsu or even ultra to fuck up your backdashes and/or slides.

Oh and he straight up OWNS cody both in footsies (walks like 5x faster and has the best sweep in the game to get those precious untechable knockdowns) and projectile game.

Now, everytime you guess wrong you’re exactly in the same bad situation as before: knocked down. Cody can be swept after a tatsu, so any good player won’t go for the srk unless it will kill you. They will just sweep you and start over. Guess wrong 2 times and you’re cornered, guess wrong again and you’re probably stunned.

From your post 2 things are really evident:

1. you wanna act cool and pro like “yeah, blocking is always the answer”. Seriously, i’ve read this shit a dozen times here on srk.

2. you haven’t played a good akuma yet.

Why do you even think Akuma is good in SF4? Because of air fireballs? lol.

Italy vs Finland at EVO.

nah, I don’t even think there’s a decent offline scene in finland. At least, I’ve never heard of any finnish (sp?) player placing anywhere near the top in any European tournaments.

Anyways, I’d like to hear more opinions. Obviously if the experience is limited to ranked matches and/or championshit mode it’ll be biased since 98% of the akuma’s there are plain shit and do nothing but jump back air fb, can’t even hit confirm a combo and don’t have any clue about what the Vortex actually is. Teleport ultra all the way lol

I havent yet played a good Akuma in SSFIV, that’s true. But I really doubt all of that stuff is safe, and unreadable, It’s just about knowing what Akuma will do, then countering it.

I’m very skeptic about my only option in all of those situations, being only a guess.

you wanna act cool and pro like “yeah, blocking is always the answer”. Seriously, i’ve read this shit a dozen times here on srk.

I never said that, I just mentioned that simply blocking/teching is a very viable wake up option. I’m sorry if I offended you in any way.

The offline scene is WIP so to speak, there definetely is an offline scene here. There are good players in Finland trust me.

I think your being too rough on the online community btw.

If you’ve played him in vanilla SF4, it’s the same in Super.

In those situations you totally have to guess, you might have some clues if you know the player and know akuma’s mixup perfectly well, but the wakeup game is what makes akuma really terrifying. Just have a look at some jap akuma videos. Against characters with bad wakeups, once they score a knockdown it’s usually game over. Hell, even someone with a solid wakeup game like Ryu has problems vs akuma when he’s knocked down.

Btw, i’m not offended with you in any way, i’m just guessing that from what you wrote you have a very very scarce matchup experience against Akuma and i was explaining you why his wakeup game is so scarying

this is just an example:

[media=youtube]cFk_42q5ZF4[/media]

…and chun’s wake up game is a lot better than cody’s, not to mention that y24 is one of japan’s top 3 chun li players.

Christ… I’m glad down in C rank I don’t have to deal with Akumas that know what they’re doing. >_<

Yeah, Bison is a hard matchup for Cody. One thing I learned from fighting online is that when he goes airborn, start moving. That’s it. Unless you’re a countering mafioso, just move. Figure out the rest later.

Dhalsim zones the hell out of me for free.I know slide is good for getting under yoga fire and once you throw him you can start your safe jump shenanigans,but until then the match sucks

These points are kind of a hole in your argument. The entire problem against Akuma is that almost NO ONE has a good wakeup option. Even if Cody had a DP, his options against Akuma wouldn’t be much better. Akuma can do his vortex in enough ways that he can simply adjust it to beat most reversals.

Viper’s the same deal. Cody’s wakeup options might lead people to believe he has more trouble getting out of her vortex than most characters, but most characters are still reduced to guessing just like Cody. It’s far more important against Viper to have a good way to avoid those knockdowns in the first place, and Cody’s c.MK is actually a decent answer against the flame kicks. HK ruffian can be useful too. There’s no way that matchup is any worse than 4-6, and I think it could be better than that.

A much better example of Cody’s reversal options hurting him is against someone like Abel, or Cammy. A good reversal can go a long way against them, and Cody suffers against their pressure.

Also, some general theory fighter: the standard answer to a wakeup back dash is an option select sweep. However, the EX zonk has so much invincibility that a person’s first attack would whiff, their sweep would whiff, and then the EX zonk knuckle would finally hit them. If they tried an o-s DP, both moves are probably going to whiff, and Cody might even recover in time to punish with a combo. Even an option select ultra can lose/whiff. If people are scared of their o-s losing to the massive invincibility of an EX zonk, that opens up the wakeup back dash again. Other characters are going to have to research ways specifically to beat both a back dash and the EX zonk, and whatever they use probably won’t be as obnoxious as a sweep.

Interesting. I hadn’t thought of the wake up situation in this light. I suppose we better hope most of the cast do not find viable multi-situational OS tools to beat EX Znk / backdash.

is ex zonk also invincible to throws? Would akuma’s U1 hit him?

theory fighter alert

Let’s say Akuma option selects a sweep, cody does ex zonk, sweep goes right through him but akuma can cancel his sweep into his U1 at any time. Would the ultra grab cody or would the ex zonk smack akuma’s ass? It’s pretty late here in Europe, guess i’m gonna try this tomorrow in training mode, but it looks like it might work because by the time the sweep is recovering (and can still be cancelled into ultra) cody’s invulnerability frames will probably be over.

So what do you guys do against guile? A good guile I mean. How do you get in? Cause from what I’ve seen the matchup is almost free for guile. I’ve never seen a cody be able to get in. My friend is a really good guile and actually played Yeb’s cody and said he beat him pretty easily. His name is ii Strider ii or something like that for his gamertag.

Rufus and Dictator are the ones I’ve had the most trouble with. They rape Cody for freeeeeeeeeeeee

Definetely M.Bison is a hard character to fight for Cody. Also a really really good El Fuerte I played against the other night almost whooped my arse. Once I got knocked down its was a guessing game. However once i knocked him down seeing that he was using Ultra 1 he had to play a lil’ guessing game of his own XD!

lol. smh @ not knowing bout gouki vortex.

Worst Matchups for me are abel, cammy and akuma. dhalsim is bad too… i can honestly say i have a losing record against those characters. no matter how scrubby. to many things can go wrong…they have too many options vs my nigga cody.
Its not like he has any super free matchups either…i gotta work for every win.

Myself, I am having problems with Dictator, Abel, Guile, Dhalsim and Juri (ones that don’t spam pinwheel or divekicks). Depending on the Seth player, I have problems in that match also, but if I can get in, I can usually make up the life I lost in one combo.