Wii U/3DS Matchup Discussion Thread: How many 7-3's can Little Mac still win!?

Does this steal his Fruit, his Pellet, his Trampoline, or some combination?

I feel like Greninja vs Sonic is very even. If there’s anything that skews one way or the other, it’s that Greninja has a ranged option in Water Shuriken. However, Sonic’s sheer speed somewhat negates this advantage.
Also, unlike Mood, I find this matchup very entertaining rather than boring.

Fruit

CG, what is your recommendation for fighting against D3? I played against one for over an hour last night and didn’t win a single game. It was so frustrating that I couldn’t win with Greninja, Mega Man, or Pac-Man that eventually I just started sand-bagging with characters I don’t care about just to experiment.
I was severely underestimating the incredibly low-recovery on most of his moves, even when I learned when to NOT punish. Some of this is because of online delay not letting me respond quick enough, but I was still in a rough spot the whole time. Any advice you can offer?

D3 insight eh?

-FSmash recovers quicker than you’d think
-D3’s only safe when spaced well
-Gordos take, like 2-3% to hit back.
-He has trouble coming out of the air because of his slow lateral movement speed. Exploit landing traps

THat’s most of what I can offer right now. I suspect I’d have to see your fights to comment. Are you getting the Wii U version for XMas? We can practice that matchup later

Yes, it’s coming on Christmas, though I may not get to play until the following Monday because of family stuff.
I feel like all his Smashes and tilts have surprisingly low recovery, especially considering how fast most of them come out.

I know it takes at least 3% or more to knock back Gordos, because MM can’t pellet them back with single shots.

D3’s range and low cooldown on moves gives Mega Man a really hard time. Abuse Metal Blades and grabs in close and try to keep him directly above you with Up-Air and up thrown Metal Blades.

Mega Man is going to want to be a little more aggressive in this match up. Try to toss up a Leaf Shield to keep yourself safe when moving in close and abuse the hell out of pellets, but beware his f-tilt.

If villager pockets pac mans fruit, pac man can still throw more fruit unless villager takes it out again

i’m going to say confidently, sonic vs shulk is in shulk’s favor

shulk’s speed and heavy forms make it a bitch for sonic. it also doesn’t help that shulk has crazy good reach to keep sonic from approaching. it’s not a significant advantage but I think it’s like 6-4 for shulk

anyone else play pit/dark pit here? it honestly feels like he has no match ups worse than 4-6. mostly yoshi (do his better zoning and aerials) and zss (mostly because of speed and i haven’t fought any good zss players yet) seem to be both pit’s worst matchups.

I just quoted this from general discussion:

As a R.O.B player I must say that Sonic is a living nightmare to face. The robot is so easy to juggle that once Sonic hits you with a spin dash, you are pretty much dead. You must focus on not letting him approach at all cost. And since R.O.B isn’t the fastest, it’s very hard to punish the hedgehog unless the opponent does something very, very stupid. I need to do some more testing, but I think this matchup goes to Sonic.

My original thought process was that Gyro slows everything down for Sonic, and he has some fast normals on the ground to wall him out, along with NAir. But as I see it, ROB just gets mauled too easily, like Dhalsim v Dudley

Yes, pretty much Dudley vs Dhalsim. If you whiff laser/gyro things become much more complicated. Sonic just need to put R.O.B. in the air, where punishing approaches becomes much more hard to do.

my thoughts on the ness vs sonic matchup

yeah with the way my friend fights my ness with sonic is just way too annoying. pretty much be mid range, side b, down b, if they hit combo if not up b, down A, roll to safety since it instantly recovers from higher up, rinse repeat.

pk thunder can get nullified by his spin dashes, pk fire can easily be hopped over with initial hop from side b or sonic just doesn’t give a fuck because of it’s short distance, all he has to do it keep it held out of pk fire distance, spring gimp on ness really high reward no risk.

the fact that you can cancel into shield after run + his mobility + and fast recovery from everything makes his grab game super good.
you can up throw someone, follow them on the ground, shield after run, if they attack shield grab if not just grab.

at least with ness sonic going into either side b or down b automatically puts him at stage advantage.

not to mention if sonic is in any unfavorable stage position he can just up b and go from neutral to advantage easily.

From what Ive heard Yoshi is really good, but I haven’t really seen any good Yoshi players.

Worst match up is Sheik. And hes pretty even with everyone else I guess. Then again, Sheiks only bad match up is diddy

sheik loses to lucario, even with diddy, slight adv vs sonic, rosalina, zss, advantage vs everyone else

I bet Sheik loses to Luigi and Villager

sheik beats luigi very badly, sheik might have some problems with villager but still slight advantage

I dunno about that. Sheik vs Luigi is a momentum game. Luigi is the only persona who beats Sheik up close where she needs to be. Once luigi gets juggled, sure that’s Sheik all day, but she loses the close range matchup and NAir can really poo on combo strings

Sheik also has needles to slow Weegee’s approach game and better ranged tilts. Needles… the one thing most Sheiks don’t use enough of, and the one thing that ruins any hope Luigi has of getting in close. Smart Weegees can walk up shield them, but then you’re walking into tilt/Bouncing Fish range.

Needles also ruin any hope Luigi has of getting back on-stage.

It may not be Melee Sheik, but she still has all that she needs to beat Luigi.

NEEDLES.

yeah luigi’s approach game is his weak point (which is why i think mario is better overall)
luigi’s movement is floaty and his run speed is actually good but still outsped by sheik.

sheik’s main strength in the matchup is needles to rack up free damage from afar and essentially negate luigi’s fireball game, as well as her superior movement to dictate the distance between them.

if sheik starts a juggle on luigi, yes luigi nair is good as a fast get off me move that puts sheik above him. however, if it is baited, it is a free punish into the same situation. this is pretty much the case for the rest of his landing options as well, except maybe airdodge. tornado is pretty easy to punish if baited as well.

luigi’s main KO move, usmash, is pretty limited against sheik who falls fast enough to make it hard for luigi to get in a landing-trap position when considering DI. instead, luigi will often have to rely on very high percentage Bairs/Bthrows. while these are already somewhat difficult to land on a sheik who doesn’t want to get hit, the high percentage she needs to be at makes it worse. I’m not too certain about luigi’s edgeguard game, but it is a bit dangerous to do vs Sheik’s high priority up b. at the same time, it may be his only real chance to take stocks at lower percents.

yes sheik can get hit at close range and that’s bad news (often a lot of damage racked up by luigi), but the struggle to KO her somewhat mitigates the threat of the damaging strings luigi can do. and of course, the neutral game domination by sheik is the biggest issue.

sheik’s ability to edgeguard luigi is extra bad news for luigi, as her weak KO power is somewhat mitigated by how much of an advantage she has when putting luigi off the stage. once luigi has exhausted his down b and double jump, he is in big trouble.
while he can definitely tech any stagespike attempt vs when luigi side b’s into the stage, it’s still a lot of time for sheik to go for it (and you cannot walltech for a small period of time after pressing Shield, so it even becomes a small timing mixup)

right now i think it is 7-3 sheik over luigi. VERY bad.