What's your favorite modding tool?

So Tech Talk, what is your favorite tool in the whole world that you like using when you mod? This can be for any electronics mod or even tools used to build cases.

For me, it is none other than my trusty Dremel. Sure I use my soldering iron a lot and my life depends on it, but it can’t do all the fun things my Dremel does. My soldering iron never annoys all my roommates while they are watching a movie like my Dremel can. Then make them go in awe as I make sparks fly using the cutting wheel on metal. Oh such a dangerous side it has. With its high revs making it a scary thought thinking about what one small slip could cause to my hands.

Thanks to Duckie for making this 100% correct flowchart.

So TT, what’s your modding poison?

So Tech Talk, what is your favorite tool in the whole world that you like using when you mod?
This can be for any electronics mod or even tools used to build Cases.

For me, it is none other than my trusty Crimper.
Sure, I use my soldering iron a lot and my life depends on it.
But it cannot do all the nice wiring management my Crimper does.
My soldering iron cannot do Open Barrel Terminals like my Crimper can.
People drop their mouths when they see how many expensive Crimpers I have.

Oh such a dangerous side it has.
With its ratcheting jaws, not being able to open until it is all the way closed down.
It can severe my fingers when I am not careful using during the Drunk Modding Game.

Thank you d3v for making this 100% correct Flowchart.
[/IMG]I’m waiting d3v.[/IMG]

So Tech Talk, what is your modding poison?

3rd hand clamp. Probably one of the cheapest thing I’ve ever bought (just a wired clamp attached to metal cube), but makes soldering wires so much easier and safer on my hands.

The dremel does hold a special place in my heart when it comes to modding…

So many uses for that Dremel, so little time.

I think I’ll go with a multimeter, although I need to get one with an auto off feature. Nobody uses 9v batteries anymore…

By far my favorite modding tool has to be the hex key that my grandfather gave me. I love my soldering iron and my Dremel (though I probably don’t love it as much as Gummowned!), but my hex key has got to be my most used tool of all the ones I have. I live in an area where pretty much every single one of our fighting game players uses a Mad Catz FightStick Tournament Edition, so despite the fact that I do electrical modding quite often, I find myself needing a hex key so often in the middle of a gathering just because someone’s quick-disconnect or JLF wiring harness came loose. It’s gotten to the point where I’ve moved it to the pocket where I usually put my keys. I’ve had a few times where I tried to open my house door with my hex key. Each one of those times I thought it would actually work. :rofl:

lol jdm. I like how you used my example as a template. That should be the standard response for this thread :slight_smile:

I was hoping everyone else follow it.
Laugh.

So Tech Talk, what is your favorite tool in the whole world that you like using when you mod?

For me, it is none other than my trusty swiss army knife (sak).
But it cannot do all the nice chopping and scraping my sak does.
My soldering iron cannot open bottles of beer, like my sak can.
People are astounded by just how sharp I keep the blade.

Oh such a dangerous set of options it has.
With its two blades, tin opener, 2 sizes of screw driver and handy parcel carrier (the hook thing), I’m always thinking of where it can be useful.
It can severe my fingers when I am not careful using it during the Drunk Modding Game (aka bottle of Cognac)

Thank you (Me) for making this 100% correct Flowchart.
Is Swiss Army Knife useful?
Yes: good! Use sak.
No: bad! Think harder, and ask yourself again.

1. Multimeter
  2. Soldering Iron
  3. Edge cutting pliers

Drill press, if you have one its a godsend.

Soldering stations are also great to have around.

And of course needle-nose pliers.

My favourite “tool” is my 600ml (double-size) insulated mug.
Because nothing is better than sipping on hot cocoa for however long it takes to mod something.

Also my stressball for when something fucks up.

For me, it is none other than my trusty soldering iron.
But it cannot do all the nice wiring management my soldering iron does.
My Crimper cannot do Open Barrel Terminals like my soldering iron can. (Note: do not solder open barrel terminals).
People drop their mouths when they see how many expensive soldering iron BURNS I have.

Oh such a dangerous side it has.
With is heated tip, and it is hot. That sucker burns.
Also did I say I have burn marks and scars.

Thank you BLANK for making this 100% correct Flowchart.
[/IMG]I didn’t talk to any one yet.[/IMG]

So Tech Talk, what is your modding poison?

Here’s a pic of my trusty Husky T-Driver set. Because of my disability, it totally screws up your tendons so I need a ‘special’ handle on my screwdrivers. Anyway, this shows the handy handle that allows me to grip it better. Otherwise… I ain’t unscrewing anything to get to what it is I need to mod. I use it for almost everything that needs a screw (no pun intended).

LS1 V8.*

Nothing like having MORE POWER!

disclaimer

[details=Spoiler]
I have yet to actually use one on a mod.[/details]

My latex rubber gloves are my best friend. Dremel you are godlike, but metal chips flying into my hands, silicone mold getting under my fingernails. hot, and super glue getting on my fingers, is a pain in the ass that i will never suffer through.

1. Wire strippers
  2. Soldering iron/station
  3. Torx screw drivers

Laugh.

For modding I also have to go with the Dremel. Suitable for every cutting task. And everything involves cutting when my Dremel is eying me.

In general though it would be my trusty Leatherman Juice Xe6.

DRDuckie flowchart.