What's the best button layout for Mortal Kombat 9?

I’m curious to know what you think would be the best button layout specifically for MK9.
In earlier editions they had the X layout but as time moved on and i personally lost contact with the series i can imagine the buttons and layout may have changed.

Let me know.

Official layout is as found on the new MadCatz arcade sticks - in other words, the same as the original ‘X’ pattern with an added button at the bottom left.

But there’s no reason why you couldn’t use whatever layout you wanted to fit with whatever arcade stick you have.

On an arcade stick

Front Punch______Back Punch
Block
Front Kick________Back Kick

The button in the umk3 “run spot” functions as a tag button.
This functionality is the same as BP+BK.

Throws are done with FP+FK for reverse throw, towards+FP+FK for forward throw.
Xray’s are done with FK+BLK+BK.

The game is made to work like a traditional MK1/2 layout.

I prefer the Arcade layout. The Madcatz layout is just the Vewlix layout minus 3 buttons and a button moved to the center, so if you want to go that route, there isn’t much work.

Also agree with original MK arcade layout.

great feedback! I checked the Madcatz version and at first i thought they modernized the X setup but as pzlate said it’s probably an affordable way for them to work with stock metal plates and just add some holes. Doesn’t mean it won’t play well though :wink:

Would the Tag button be appreciated if i would force it upon players? I mean a lot of SF players regard the 7th and 8th button in Vewlix layouts as absolete or even ‘training wheels’.

Well, it’d be required for UMK3 run and probably MK9. (That is if you’re going for the standard X layout.)
iirc a lot of the hardcore MKII players didn’t like the run button addition at first, but I think it’s accepted by most, if not all now.

Here’s a gif I made comparing both panels if you were wondering.

Thanks for the gif

the X factor.

http://shoryuken.com/f177/pdp-tournament-edition-mk9-happ-stick-263428/

If you’re planning on making a stick kit for MK9 are you going to give people enough room to mount iL sticks/cherry microswitch buttons or will this be Japanese parts only?

IMHO, I think the standard SFIV TE/SE layout will be fine. Based on how the game plays.

But for those of you that like the MK layout, that option is also out there.

Yeah the layout looks pretty good.

@ pzlate, i currently only use japanese parts. I did try out some korean Crown parts but that was over in about 3 seconds after touching it.

Happ or IL parts are ill suited in most custom stick builds not because of quality or performance but because of size of the push buttons and stick under the panel. Of course if you make the case big enough for proper clearance under the top panel, this stops being an issue.

Usually TE, SE, Hori, Agetec and most mas produce or commercial DIY cases do not do well with Happ/IL sized parts with out heavy modifications. Completely custom wooden cases on the other hand do not suffer from this issue if you leave enough space in your design.

Ok i’ve been raging through the internet, searched everything on google but can’t find the most important thing:
TAG button is (LT or RT or A or B or whatever…)

Which button do i map to the TAG button (PS3 or 360)?

I checked out the AoBfrost youtube where he is swapping his TE faceplate to the new MK one but after watching it full length and it finally comes to the moment where he plugs in the connectors it shows ‘you not want want to follow my colored wiring directly in this section’ AARGH :wink:
His wiring is confusing :
BP = L1
BK = R2
FP = L2
FK = X
Block = R1
TAG = triangle

Is this actually the right mapping? Because it looks wrong.

Doesn’t even matter, MK9 at least got the button config right.

True but i try to make the sticks as noob-proof as possible. A lot of my sticks go to tournaments and i prefer to plug and play instead of swapping the buttonconfig every time.

all layouts (viewlix, astro city, american) are fine as it lacks a run button

LP Block HP
LK Block HK

If it had a run button, 8 button Astro City would have problems but American and Vewlix would be ok as their rightmost columns are fairly straight.

all layouts (viewlix, astro city, american) are fine as it lacks a run button

LP Block HP
LK Block HK

If it had a run button, 8 button Astro City would have problems but American and Vewlix would be ok as their rightmost columns are fairly straight.

I found the button mapping from downloading the game and checking the options.
PS3 standard setup:
Front punch = Square
Back punch = Triangle
Front kick = X
Back kick = Circle
Throw = R1
TAG = L1
Block = R2
Flip stance = L2

Problem solved