We need more SFV players!

bruh

Aye listen Mechanica - you dont want none of this! I’m coming for ya!

Idk if you even care much about SFV with Xrd being so good right now, but if you decide to play man then you’re instantly becoming another one of my training partners.

SFV Float

BrentoBox, you been to rcaido’s before? Where are the meetups nowadays for the old fighters (1990s - early 2000s)

I would advise most players to ignore/stay away from too much of the SFV youtube content floating around currently - most of it is coming from a cracked PC port of Beta 3. The final release version is going to be different, so I would just wait until it comes out to try and find out techniques and such. Almost every day I’m seeing new videos being released which kind of baffles me.

I also wanted to share one of my thoughts regarding the SFV betas in general. Obviously, we didnt always have the same characters, but some of them came around much more frequently than others (ahem, Ryu…and a few others). One thing most people noticed was common between beta phases was that many characters would lose combos - Ken lost his run combo and he lost juggle properties on shoryuken between beta 2 and beta 3/stresstest, for example. Ryu lost s.mp -> sweep, and other such things as well. Most people I saw simply said “oh, that must have been too strong - thats why capcom took it out.” I disagree.

One of the biggest factors in balancing a FG in recent history happens at a very unique time - the first couple of months post release. This happens because the game gets into the hands of thousands (or more) instead of just the development and testing team, and the players inevitably start finding things. Lots of things, at a much faster pace than anyone else can do. Unfortunately for developers, this always seems to include things they didn’t plan on, or don’t want in the release version. What happens? patches. This happened with MvC3, and MKX, for example, although I’m sure there’s plenty more.

So how does this tie in? My theory is that Capcom knew they had a playerbase to help them test the game out. However, this player pool of diehards who want nothing more than to explore SFV at the earliest opportunity is still much smaller than the amount of people playing when the game officially releases. Therefor, as people got into the beta phases and explored their characters - found combos, techniques, etc - Capcom would take those away on purpose in order to try and facilitate adaptation. When the combos you know no longer work, you start to think about what else might work, right? So then you must continue to innovate in order to be effective if you want to win. This way Capcom gained an edge towards game balance. They could see what people used that worked, and see if people would come up with anything they didn’t find themselves, so they could release a very polished and balanced fighter without forcing any “day one patches”, which always piss people off.

So I wouldn’t worry too much about the lost combos and links, or the lack thereof some characters had. I believe by release we will see some of those return because nobody is going to want to play a fighter with too little depth. If the game only had 2-in-1 combos and v-trigger combos people would probably get bored pretty quick. I understand that simple is a good thing for SFV, but the game and characters need to be interesting as well, and they need to feel like there are things to work on and master.

I need to stop trying to focus attack in this game.

LOL I just noticed that I said “I’ll post my thoughts in a bit when I have time” and here we are two months later. Time flies.

My thoughts are gonna be a bit scrambled so please forgive me.

• First and foremost I think we’re gonna see a significant drop in character loyalists. There’s almost no reason to not have at least two or three pocket characters in SFV. I think this is a good thing. I think about the amount of work that was necessary in the later stages of the SF4 series to have a strong secondary and my eyes glaze over. Felt like I needed a graphing calculator and a protractor to sort shit out at times. Doing your homework in SFV will be a lot easier.

• Speaking of characters, I’m looking at maining R.Mika and M.Bison. R.Mika because I think she’s really fun and intriguing and also because I said I would main whoever was announced at PAX2015 and low and behold it was her. Her tools really resonate with me as a Marvel player so that already reeled me in. I’ve already got my base gameplan/strategy with her set so barring any crazy changes that are made before launch, I think I’ll be good to go. I’m looking to have a boringly solid/effective/clutch Mika that has the occasional change up pitch (some wonky V Trigger setup).

Bison is a bit of a different story. I didn’t like him at first and I thought he was boring and rigid. I especially didn’t like his lack of mobility (a defining trait of his that’s been left out of recent games). Now that they’ve given him that teleport dash as his regular forward dash I’m much more interested. In fact, I think his V Skill is what’s most alluring to me. At first glance it’s like Rose’s reflect, but I’m really curious to see how that V Skill interacts with normals. I’m not sure what his reversal is (guessing super or ex scissors) but V Skill I think will come in handy as a way to discourage certain actions from your opponents. While I’m sure it won’t function the same as say Ryu’s parry, I still think it can be a worthwhile option. Also I enjoy his ability to destroy white life.

I’m waiting to see what Guile, Balrog, and Urien are like. I had a dream a few months ago that I was using Urien in SFV so odds are he’s probably my third character heh.

• To be truthful, I don’t think 09ers/SF4 players/wtvr are gonna be hindered by this game. Anybody who’s good will pick this game up quick. I’m more interested in the clash between the people who have been ballin out at SF4 and the SF OGs who continue to put it down.

• I’m not sure how you’re supposed to perfect a Fang player unless they really suck or something.

• History suggests that we’ll get a better version of SFV in about a year or so and with that in mind I’m eager to see how balanced this game is out of the gate. I’m especially interested to see how the community handles the DLC characters that come out as the year goes along. There’s a lot of money at stake and it’d be crazy to see some suped up DLC character take over big events.

• Chun is shaping up to be very very good and I don’t like her in this game. Go figure.

• I actually don’t mind them making things easier/noob friendly. I don’t really care actually. That’s even with me questioning some of their design philosophies. I just wanna play a new game. A new game means a new competitive balance, a clean slate, new rivals, facing old rivals yet again under different circumstances, and many other things for me. I guess if anything I just care about a new era of competition more than anything else. If the game ends up being a game that I enjoy playing for years then that’s even better.

Anyway I just typed out hella and I’m hungry. Hope you’re happy Ghrrk!

I haven’t. I’m a member of the Mother Russia group but it’s in Olympia and that’s a bit to far out of my way.

I do play on Fightcade and with people in Seattle though.

I’m BrentoBox on Fightcade if you ever want to play.

I don’t have any SFV thoughts other than the game looks and moves beautifully, and just about every aspect of the style, speed, specials and character design are huge improvements. SFV is everything 4 was supposed to be.

I am! The more the merrier. We need more blood and sweat.

I resound with some of your thoughts regarding SFV. Particularily about having multiple characters - it seems much easier in SFV due to the overall simplicity to have multiple characters, which kind of harkens back to SF2 days. SF2 is simple enough to understand, but takes real effort and skill to master. I’m still looking at playing Ken and idk who else will come along. Its impossible to say until I have the game in my hands and get more experience with the characters. I like Chun-Li, Laura, Cammy and Karin, and I’m definitely looking forward to how they work out Guile, Balrog and Juri as far as DLC chars go. I’m actually interested to see how all 6 DLC chars turn out, I think they picked a great bunch of chars to bring into SFV across the first year. I’ll be okay with Urien as long as he isn’t totally butt-naked like in SF3. If he is, its w/e, but I definitely dont wanna play him hahah.

I’m beyond thrilled with the direction SFV is going, its full of good ideas I think so far, and shaping up to be well balanced, fast, and fun. There are basically no turtle characters. I think the closest turtles are Ryu and Birdie, and they both are more balanced than overtly defensive. High damage and stun rewards smart offense and pressure, the v-reversals can reward smart defense (they also drop your stun gauge!), the v-trigger/skill system adds depth to characters. As long as they have some combos in the game it should be a lot of fun. I hope it revitalizes competition again similar to SF4 did.

I think this is partly true, but also SF4 vanilla dropped in a good way, I think. Damage was higher, and aside from Sagat and Akuma, the game was pretty damn balanced. Plus nobody really had any concrete stuff worked out with the game for awhile. It was a good time. I think the later installments, aside from building hype with new characters, etc, actually made the game worse. Damage was lowered overall, so the most rewarding characters were vortex based, or revolved around really big or 1-frame combos, etc. Shit was kinda weak after all of that stuff came around. But yeah, SFV is the game we’ve been waiting for!

Also I think Zangief is gonna be buff. People need to watch out!

I just realized people might be talking about the game over here. Can’t wait to get things going once V drops! I’m in the Kent/Seattle area.

Any character you guys think just doesn’t click with you at all?

I’d have to say Birdie because I dont like ugly characters very much. Same fits for Blanka in other games! lol

I definitely would need to play every character to see if I jive with their moveset or not. I felt the best when playing Ken.

I’ve only just started really looking and the game is looking awesome. I’m bummed I won’t be there day one with this title, but I like the tool sets and re-designs of the returning casts, and the new characters are alright.

Mostly gonna use Ryu, but Ken, Vega look fun as well.

It looks great! I have to agree. Vega being a motion character really changed him up. They reduced the range on some of his normals, but he has some crazy combos and can rushdown better. I think Ryu, even as balanced as he is, looks like maybe the most defensive character in the game right now. I’m pretty sure Guile and Balrog will be charge characters still when they come out later this year.

Yeah, the control setup for Vega was “interesting” but after seeing it in motion and the stances making a return, I thought they did good job of the re-design. I like Ken in this a lot. A3 V-ism is my favorite Ken, and this one looks cool and has great moveset to go with it. I like starting off slow so it’ll be Ryu first, then Ken second.

I hope you guys have been getting into the mini-stress tests the last few days! Giving a glimpse into the current state of the beta, first test had 4 grapplers (Zangief, Birdie, Mika and Laura) and tonight there was a bunch of “rushdown” characters (Rashid, Ken, Ryu, Nash, Karin, Cammy.) Its been fun getting to just play and try out the game again since mid-december. Anyone else notice how as soon as MKX starts a new and better netcode update/beta that Capcom is running stress tests to get people playing SFV?! Thats no coincidence, LOL!

Ryu is always a good place to start with in any new SF game. He kind of is the starting point for character design and a good marker for balance, I think in almost every game he is either a solid mid or high tier character. Maybe in SF3 he was closer to the bottom, but I hardly played SF3, so I’m not sure. I know most players preferred Ken or Akuma to him in that game.

Some random notes about the game:
Throws do good damage. Most of the time they’re about a solid 10%, so not godlike, but landing a throw anytime is rewarding. Throws are especially vulnerable in this game, as well. You need to be very close to trigger a throw, and if you miss, the whiff animation can be reacted to and punished.

Anti-air uppercuts do about the same damage as a throw. This is more damage than any general normal would do, but also more difficult to do.

Crush Counter is going to be a big part of high level play. Being able to set them up, and reacting properly to do a large damage combo. This will be one thing that differentiates the low and mid tier players from the high ones.

Using training mode with random block and random counter-hit is a godsend for training reactions!

We’re less than a month away, you guys getting hyped at all yet?? I gotta say the last stress test made me really enjoy Rashid a lot more. I tried him out in beta 2, but only played him for a day or two before moving on. I felt like I understood the game better as a whole, however. I took some clips and matches from the last stress test two days ago and put it on youtube. If you want to watch, feel free:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nkQPiJBv8s

I still enjoy playing Ken a lot, as well. I got a lot of enjoyment going back and analyzing these matches and seeing some things. Obviously nobody can really practice so my gameplay is scrubby.

Pretty hyped. Feels like a fresh start and watching the Mad Catz streams the last two days was awesome to see. Bison and Rashid rush downs are intimating. Seeing potential of some of the characters is making it hard for me to decide who to main. Only played with Nash/Karin from the short times I’ve had with the beta. Still hoping for Akuma to come back as future DLC.

That match with Karin in your video at 1:50 is pretty sweet.

I might play Fang. A nasty poison run-away game appeals to me. Like a super-offensive turtle.

Otherwise, I don’t know who to play. Gotta get my hands on it. Someone with good walk-speed is probably a must. Might even try Chun.

I kind of feel like Bison might be top 5 in the game, along with Birdie, but its too early to say anything obviously. The final game isn’t out so things are going to be changed still. Nash was SUPER good in beta 2, I think he’s still pretty strong. Karin is good too! Very good normals, fun combos, good movespeed. I think her weakpoints could possibly be her jump angle and getting zoned out.

I kind of hope Akuma returns by year 2, but no earlier. I think he could be too strong for a game like this. Essentially he is like the shoto who has everything but with a low health bar. I think he could be balanced but I want the game to start without him so it can properly evolve, and then he could be tweaked to fit into the meta at the time.

Man Brent FANG is like this secret weapon right now. Nobody has gotten to play him! He looks pretty fun to play. I think hes kind of ugly, and I hate that he replaced Sagat. So he’s a perfect fit for Shadaloo. Chun is pretty damn good in SFV, since footsies are strong and she has excellent normals and walkspeed. I’m thinking I’ll play her for a bit too and see if she sticks with me. I still need to try everyone though!