Video Game General 6.3: Sekiro has so many damn chickens man. Chickens Everywhere!

Man, I love Chrono Trigger. I only played the original SNES version, but it’s up there in my top GAMES of all time, not just RPGs from that era.

That said, I still hold FFVI just a tiny bit above it.

1 Like

Tough call, FFVI and Chronotrigger is pretty close to each other in therms of quality game play and story.
Square at the time pushed the limits on what the SNES could do without an add-in chip on the cart.

Also the SNES is cursed with a overabundance of Good Quality RPGs.
And the Sega Genesis, deposit their RPGs are not as well known that console is no slouch.

I think that Chrono Trigger beats all of them as a result of your actions having a visible effect on the world, which is hardly ever seen even in this day and age. It also has an amazing narrative and slightly deeper mechanics than most role playing games at the time. I would give 2nd place to Phantasy Star IV: The End of the Millenium as its mechanics outclass everything else out at the time and it has a number of optional hunts and quests the player is free to pursue outside of the main narrative. The main narrative is decent, but has issues with pacing and stretches of going through the motions. The 3rd place would go to Final Fantasy VI for having an engaging narrative, fleshed out mechanics, and some great characters. All of the above also have high quality visuals and audio design.

P.S. The PS1 cutscenes for Chrono Trigger always felt redundant to me as they showed the same exact things that were animated in 2D cutscenes. The worst instance of this occurred in the scene where Frog cut a cliff in half.

2 Likes

Honestly?

Final Fantasy 6.

Best 16-bit OST of all time, too.

The Mines of Narshe.

If we’re talking personal favorites, then Final Fantasy 4, Lufia 2, and Seiken Densetsu 3 are all in the running.

Chrono Trigger is so overrated, I think the term Triggered spawned from its fanboys being unable to cope with its mediocrity.

1 Like

FFIV or Chrono Trigger for me.
I can’t stand FFVI way too many characters and none of them are interesting

1 Like

Nah ff6 is overrated. I didn’t care for half the chars.

CT is the GOAT.

1 Like

Just because you don’t care for half the characters doesn’t make the game overrated.

1 Like

To me it does because that’s what people always talk about when they praise the game.

1 Like

An underrated SNES RPG is Soul Blazer. That game was incredible. It’s more along the lines of Zelda though not the traditional turn based RPG. I loved the music in that damn game too, simply incredible for it’s time.

Earthbound is way up at the top of the list, too.

1 Like

Both breathe of fire 2 and ogre battle are godlike but can’t remember if bof2 ever came to the snes in NA, and I think ogre battle was only released for the PlayStation in NA lol

Wait nevermind, I remember renting ogre battle for the snes back in the day

Microsoft is reportedly saying they can’t delay Crackdown 3 anymore

If that game is not fully cooked then DO NOT take it out of the oven.

Overwatch’s solution for toxicity seems to be working for now

down 15% in Korea and down by a quarter in the Americas

Microtransactions have been fully removed out of Middle Earth: Shadow of War

South Park Fractured but Whole new DLC will be out July 31st

N.E.R.O.: Nothing Ever Remains Obscure is coming to Switch

South Park Stick of Truth will be out on Switch in September

Digital Only…

Crackdown 3 is destined to be a huge fucking flop. It’s been announced since before the X1 was even out. It’s going to fail hard.

2 Likes

It was the Tactics game for Ogre Battle Series, Tactics Ogre that didn’t have a US SNES release but later had a PS1 and PSP release in English, it’s done by the same Team that did Final Fantasy Tactics on the PS1.
The English hacked SNES Rom used the PS1’s script.

2 Likes

I totally forgot about earthbound. One of my favorites. I remember beating it as a kid and having nightmares because of giygas

1 Like

Breath of Fire 2 was released in the US although if I remember right Capcom did the translation (BoF1 was originally published in NA by Square Soft) and it wasnt great.

1 Like

Same here. It was that boss fight with the tenticles. In one phase, the boss just stopped moving. And even when I used old saves, it would still happen. Man I was pissed. So pissed, that I forgot to take my cat in before it got dark, an he ended up getting lost (and he never returned; to this day, I have no idea what happened to him). Just an overall shitty moment in my life.

So, subjectively speaking, fuck Darksiders 2 (especially the programmers and bug testers), and the horse it/they rode in under.

Overwatch’s solution for toxicity seems to be working for now
IGN 1
Overwatch Toxicity Is Down by Over a Quarter, Says Jeff Kaplan - IGN
Blizzard’s Endorsement system in Overwatch is yielding results already.
down 15% in Korea and down by a quarter in the Americas

How do you even quantify something as subjective as “Toxicity”? Of course, the answer is: you can’t.

3 Likes

It probably just means reports of such things went down

2 Likes