Video Game General 6.3: Sekiro has so many damn chickens man. Chickens Everywhere!

you guys are never going to be able to convince each other. while i personally think vr is kinda cool im not paying a premium for it either give me the dot hack/sword art or miss me with that stuff for the moment.

As I said I’m not trying to convince anyone anything. Nothing will change anyones mind other than them trying it out for themself. I know because I was one of those people.

1 Like

You say that until a developer makes it happen, you put the headset on, and BOOM you’re in the world with the aesthetic and sound of the game. I was ehh on VR, and holding out for AR and hologram, but when I tried it out the Vive at the mall a couple year back (much like @purbeast) I was blown away with being on a sunken ship deep in the ocean. That tech demo was what sold me on tech behind VR, but now with the games here sooner than later I’m down to jump in.

VR isn’t going to replace anything but just add to it. Much like how people prefer console, PC, hybrid or (god forbid) a 3DS.

Wipeout is something I want to try on PSVR as well. Going on Google Earth in VR will probably be what I do the most when I first get my setup, lol.

3D audio is relative to the sources of the sounds and the position of the camera no different than VR.

I play most games standing up, rocking back and forth, or moving around. My general movement speed when reacting is too fast to be tracked properly even if the position updated 120 frames per second.

While I understand the appeal of VR now, I have to say that its application is too rudimentary to provide an immersive experience for myself. Also, the things I value as far as gameplay design, level design, artistic aesthetic, and plot are not really at a satisfactory level in the VR titles I am aware of.

P.S. The second screen functions can just as easily be assigned to a submenu trigger and accompanying inputs with much less hassle.

1 Like

I have Wipeout Omega on PS4 and it’s pretty awesome. It is one of those games though if you don’t have your VR legs it’s going to make you feel a bit queezy. They do some tricks like making your FOV narrower by adding stuff to the cockpit but even then it still can be dicey. The worst for me is when you go up/down quick. When the pitch changes that doesn’t really bother me much.

I remember playing a demo of PSX Wipeout when it came out at Target so many years ago and going “Holy SHIT!” at the first drop off and my stomach doing a dip, lol. Same thing happened when I played F-Zero GX. I can only imagine what that would be like in VR.

I think Rigs would be like that too. It’s a sports arena mech game and looks like you need VR legs as well.

I still don’t follow what you are saying. Are you saying you will move faster than the VR systems can track you? Because that’s not the case. The screen updating at 120 frames per second has nothing to do with tracking.

Do you really think you will move faster in a game like Beat Saber than what you will see on the screen and how it tracks you? Because again, that won’t happen.

It sounds like you’re just making a bunch of assumptions about stuff without really knowing much about it.

Also, you’re completely missing my point about 3D sound. It’s immersion is just on a whole other level when playing in VR with cones over your ears where you can’t hear anything outside of the game. I’d be willing to bet that more than 1/2 the people in this thread would be too pussy to even get through like 3-4 hours of RE7 in VR. If you read in general on other forums about that game, many people are too scared to play it.

2 Likes

Anybody remembers a PS1 game that came on one of those demo discs, it’s a strategy game taking place in the future, you control a police vehicle. I think there was a single player mode and a versus mode. The name escapes me. I always wondered if that game ended up being any good.

Not feeling the direction of RE7 with it being Texas Chainsaw Massacre (love the first movie) and first person, but I’d be down to try it in VR. I think the immersion would add to it where otherwise I’d be bitching about it not being in third person, which is why I won’t buy it as is.

Think I’d still prefer RE to be in third person in VR though. Like what I see with RE2 Remake would scare me shit less even though I can still see the character I’m controlling.

RE7 in VR in non-first person wouldn’t be nearly as scary. It’s scary as shit when you are hiding behind stuff and peak around a corner and someone is dead in your face. Or when you open doors and shit. In 3rd person you’d be able to move the camera around and see things before hand.

I like how you aim to. Your cross hair is just where you are looking. It works very well.

The fastest rate of movement has to be synchronised with the frame rate for 1:1 tracking to happen, otherwise the result lags behind or erratically adjusts on the display. Also, no game can capture weight and momentum 100%. You can’t tell me that moving almost like Raiden in Metal Gear Revengeance during a cut everything to ribbons segment without slow motion will be read 1:1 with current technology.

I think you are missing the point about how videogame audio on a headset in the early 2000s in one of the games with well implemented 3D audio was immersive.

Honestly, I have played so many horror games that every jump scare is an instance of “There you are. Who is your daddy?” and every death is an instance of a minor inconvenience because I will get past them eventually. Add to that the distasteful atmosphere of ‘Texas Chainsaw Massacre’ where you are more likely to throw up on the clumsy masked dumbass with a heavy power tool rather than be scared of his limited mobility and mental capacity and you have yourself an experience best avoided.

P.S. I can’t wait for Resident Evil 2 Remake. I have beaten the original RE2 twice this month and even pushed through all of the dull remake of RE1.

I have gotten heat for this take but I stand by it, VR despite the hype is still in its infancy and in comparison to home consoles, VR is about Atari/early NES level. It has a long way to go and tons of potential but most of it still isn’t in the realm of the average consumer.

The biggest hurdle that VR has is price of entry. VR headsets are very expansive and you need strong hardware to even run it. The reason PSVR is topping VR charts is due to being affordable compared to every else on the market. On sale you can get a PSVR bundle with PS4 silm for the average price of PS4 Pro. VR will get wider reach once the prices start dropping.

2 Likes

Atlus has a shit ton of domains for Persona 5 though. They even have on for P5A, but we haven’t heard anything about that yet.

Well I ended up buying the game since I got amazon gift cards from the holidays. All my worries quickly disappeared once I started playing. Separating catching and battling actually works pretty well. It’s been so long I forgot about these gauntlet of trainers you fight in each area before you reach the next town. I’d imagine if it still had random encounters and what not it’d be a real chore today. Catching is still a little too simple though imo. I hope they can improve on it in next games, but motion controls certainly help make it less boring. At least for now.

Was it flak from this website or elsewhere? I agree it’s at NES levels, which is crazy since its only going to improve.

@Hawkingbird I think form factor is the other hurdle right behind price. The lower price on PSVR bundles helped this holiday and will help in the future, but once form factors improve it’ll start becoming mainstream and garner more consumer support, leading to more developer support and build off each other from there.

In other news, cleared Wonder Boy Dragon’s Trap as Hu-Man with the final sword. Eagerly awaiting Monster Boy in the mail.

Cleared the second gym in Let’s Go Pokemon. Not sure when I’ll be able to clear the trees to access more areas, but I’m looking forward to it. Gonna start putting a team together after I find Squirttle(?) which I believe evolves into Blastoise?

I only see form factor being a problem when it comes to the sensors. A headset like the Vive you need to sensors all over a room to make use of it’s room scaling. I doubt most people will have the space for that sort of thing. Oculus Rift and PSVR got sensors that you need to setup right in front of you.

I remembered the name of the game. Future Cop L.A.P.D.

if you like it check out Brigador on Steam

1 Like

finished GRIS.
it was incredible. great platformer.
i think there are collectibles and extra stuff after you finish it.
got a lil emotional near the end.

1 Like