Vega Q&A Thread

Most interesting! What are some of the situations that you most commonly find yourself connecting with Claw St.HP? Is it useful as a meaty, neutral, or should I generally restrict it to following my jump-ins?

on c.mk counter hit, you can link a st.hp xx into stance change combo or hk roll.

Like Nekorin said, and you can also use it as a frame trap after LK, kinda.

You can also try late crossup j.LK, c.MK to HP setup for the trap too since it shouldn’t push you back too far.

So I take it Claw HP is a strong option after c.Mk, thanks. Relatedly, is C.Mk a good option for an oki normal, given its importance?

Another overlysimplifying question: what are the benefits to wall diving in neutral? Many starting Claws spam the heck out of it, but conversely I never do it at all. I predict it can escape corner on some characters, and create a risky mix-up between Izuna and spacing far enough to bait AAir?

Silly question, but how much hp does vega have?

1000 AFAIK. (and 950 stun)

Is there a reason to use the claw follow up to EX FBA? The Izuna drop does more damage and the same amount of stun, and the only thing I can seem to combo into afterwards is V-Trigger.

you can combo v-trigger and ex ASE after, also the knockdown is much much longer so you get time to set things up which is really important.

-5 at best.

Neutral wall dive is bad, you can get away with instant EX (claw off) sometimes, but usually they just jump back and you waste meter. Normal FBA does beat wake up reversals timed right after a crush counter sweep.

c.mk is a great normal which lets you tick grab and confirm to combos.

Counter hit FP XX SC, c.mk, s.mp xx s.hk xx EX FBA, Izuna drop is crazy damage as a reversal punish.

I do s.fp randomly in range. Safe to SC it, but you are -2.

What is Super hit confirmed off a normal supposed to look like input wise? For example , CR. LK > CR. LP > Super or ST. HP > Claw Off > CR. MP> Super. After I hit the last crouch normal I buffer two half circle forwards or down > forward x 2 as fast as I can and I can’t get the ultra to come out in time. Is there some kind of input trick to it? It feels infinitely harder to get super off normals compared to specials.

I feel it’s much harder to get supers off of normals compared to something like Ex FBA. My suggestion is to confirm normals into CT (Roll), then cancel into critical art. This is a much easier link and gives you more time to confirm.

So something like St.HP > Claw Off > Cr.MP > MK Roll > Super

Also, two questions for you guys.

1. How do you anti-air Vega’s FBA with Vega? It seems impossible based on the angle. (Should I just slide under it?)

2. What are Vega’s best oki options? I tend to use c.MK a lot, or c.LP? Does he have any other viable normals which are good on people’s wakeup.

Has anyone successfully completed Hard Survival with Vega? If so, any tips? Best I’ve gotten is 34, spamming a lot of FBA claw crossups, FBA izunas and/or j.HK,BH FP, h.CT

1. Heavy ASE if you have claw, slide if not

2. I usually try meaty fierce xx light ASE for chip/fishing/distance, meaty FBA/Izuna or stand short to confirm into light rolling but I don’t think I have the tech for it yet. I’d think c.MK would be good because the link to other normals is a late one so you can hit confirm.

Edit: Also I’ve been having a problem with roundhouse whiffing when I try to crush counter punish uppercuts. Any idea why?

You can score a counter hit off of people not respecting your timing on the cr.mk after a jump in cross up, then you should be able st HP to some claw followups, but I don’t think declawing will be a true combo. Could be a mindgame once you have people scared tho.

I actually have a dirty target combo/knockdown cross up vortex that leads to another 50/50 target combo crossup/fake cross/overhead/ or a j.lk crossup - > frame trap. Can set it up on back techs, and neutral techs on the fly. Also works on hard knockdowns (and no recovery too, just have to adjust).

Crimson terror is pretty godlike once you get the hang of the timing. I just joined the forums yesterday but i’ll try to get some vids up asap. This little vortex i’m doing is fucking ridiculous, and none of the high level Vegas I have been watching do it. I hope I can bring some strong tech to his gameplay cause I love this char, and I love creating mind fuck tech. It isn’t game breaking, but it definitely evens the playing field with these other op chars like Cammy.

Their hitbox might be low post reversal you might have to wait a second, who do you encounter this with?

Some dps put the person in a crouching state, so you have to wait a tick then do it. Others you have to do it right as they are landing, and the rest, well hk will whiff completely. I can’t remember the character specifics i’ll have to check the notes lol. Going to the lab is an easy solution tho.

This is exactly why Vega’s st HK should hit crouching opponents, and I really hope Combofiend realizes it and fixes that bs, other wise I might have to pick up a third character. Smh.

Easy. j.MP. Hits under him always.

We’re trying to compile all that bullshit here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1VPVm2KYYb-rUafE4gxC1nOIP5HTo6UFBqtewP3WtJhc/edit?usp=sharing

So far you have to hit Karin immediately as she lands, and delay slightly for Rashid. Nash also ducks heavily after EX reversal. That can’t be CCed right now but I have a feeling that could change.

Can anyone give me the best setups for Vega TC, all I got is crossup lk into counter hit cr.mk followed up with TC. Any other frame traps?

Added a bunch of data for the other characters, some of it needs verification testing though for v1.1 since it was stuff that I may have gleaned either from theory or Beta.