Vega Beginner's Guide

Edited the first post. Part IV is now up for people to read and poke holes into =)

Uh… Canceling cr. mp into KKK backflip is pretty useful against people that like to focus a lot and where the second hit of st hk won’t connect. Of course you don’t use it against every character though.

Sure, we all can use some coaching,

Let me know what time is good for you.

thanks

Nice Ava! Dong
Nice work Francy!!!

I feel for anti air, you really need to mention his air-to-air defence as well. Jump towards medium punch shuts down grapplers and the like, and neutral jump heavy kick can catch the floaty jumps, and there is always the airthrow, the ultimate way to reduce and opponents moral.

Didn’t read the bottom did you? XD It’s one of the first things I’m covering in intermediate~

Nice stuff francys i ll keep reading it home.

ahh was hoping for you to see it ^^ Any pokes and prods on where I might be going wrong?

well i could read only the first part,

I am about to read the rest right now, I remember feeling, god she’s tough with long backflip.

but then I remember it was a beginner guide, and it certainly is a better idea to grasp how appaling a move that is first, then, finding the extremely rare cases when it can actually get you out of trouble,

than the contrary,

using it it at every occasion and then spending months losing the bad habit…

So far i think it is very good because you could actually put aside the detail to convey the big concept and the important bulk of the information without cluttering the guide. And I respect that skill because I know I lack it.

Haha thanks. I think it’s really important to grab bad habits quickly before they form into something that takes months to break.
Working a little on the intermediate bits now. Decided on covering;
Footsies
Okizeme/Wakeup game
Intermediate BnBs
Baiting
Air to Airs
Safe Jumps

Frame traps and stuff feel like they should be in the advanced section~

Reading part III the part on getting out of the corner,

I think you should have mentioned cr.Hk, i rememebr when i began using it a lot trying to catach people off guard which was a terrible thing to do,

and now i find myself using it a lot to slide under jump attacks out of the corner or before I am going to get pushed in the corner inverting the situation.

It certainly doesn’t replace dashing forward, since it is so much longer than 20 frames, but it is a very simple thing to do for a beginner and works wonder in a lot of situations since you trade recovery time for lower hit box and faster motion (hence reaction time), in lots of cases it is even worth eating a lame poke in the back for the sake of getting out of the corner.

In the end I think it is something that can be learnt by a beginner that doesn’t get old when they improve (barring they finally get to understand there are several cases where they can do better than that)

Having read part II and found it a lot more technical than part III, I think maybee part III should become part II and vice versa.

In actual part 2 you could include a link to an article explaining the basics of “frame data” and how animation works in SFIV, seeing how some of your tips are going to fly over the guys’ head if they don’t have that prerequisite. I think “Sonic hurricane” has one of the best articles about that.

Btw it can’t hurt to point a beginner to MAJ’s bibliography if you see what i mean.

Ahh yes. Part 3 felt a little rushed to me. I was just running out of things to say XD. I recently started using the cr.HK thing to get out of a corner. Wasn’t sure on others finding it so effective but now I know, I’ll chuck that in there =D
I’m going to be chucking the footsies handbook at them for the footsies bit for definite but I’m not even sure I’ve read Maj’s bibliography haha, It might be one of the ones I missed/didn’t get around to reading eep!

Does Majhave any on frame data? I linked to Eventhubs “How to read frame data” guide, but I think you’re right, it does need something in there on how it actually WORKS.

Anything else, just chuck it in here and I’ll be sure to throw it in =) Gosh, I should’ve asked people to begin with haha.

great post francys. i might pick up vega on the side for fun now

hk.ST is a better move for a beginner it only has 4 startup (1 for ground input, 1 grounded and 2 airborne) ,
lk.ST has the same 7 startup as mk.ST ( 1 for ground input, 1 grounded then 5 airborne) , it is as people get more advanced that they start to use lK.ST
when they have the choice, in order to perform a more powerfull air pursuit-juggle,
or when they don’t have the choice because only this one beats some of the high cross-up jump-ins that mk.St and hk.ST miss.

Well eventhub “how to read frame data” is certainly containing enough to read the article.

MAJ stuff has more density, I think if you read everything you just know a truckload about that game’s engine but it is all spread out, it is difficult to just head there the amout of work he has produced over years is just overwhelming.

Nevertheless, I think that was the article I had in mind

sonic hurricane dot com Impact Freeze

Which i realise is not exactly a paramount read for a beginner it is mostly about “impact freeze”.

OFF TOPIC, If you or any other advanced player haven’t read it, should really do this impact freeze concept is very obscure to most but it is actually

why we can focus level 2 ultra and have such a hard time doing focus level 1 ultra
why we can cr.mk – cr.mp xx EX FBA during footsies at all
why we can do hk.ST after CH
why 1 cr.lp or cr.lk are extremely difficult to use as hit confirm while a single cr.mk can do the trick
why a meaty ji.lk cr.lk is an excellent high low mixup while you can jump all day and never score a single hit with an early ji.Hp – cr.mk
why we can do option selects like cr.lp (cr.HK) – cr.lp
why cancel combo always combo the same regardless of how fast we did the special motion.
its abscence why empty jump grab works so well against anti-air focus attack.

it is very valuable data when trying to design Option selects, combos or setups/mixups.

just for the record

8 for light normals
10 for medium normal and PoM
12 for hard normal and CH
14 for specials ( well lots of exceptions there)
16 for level 1 focus
30 for level 2 and level 3 focus attack

Oh yikes I got my frames mixed up on the ST haha, go me! I don’t even know why I didn’t pick up on that sooner since I use hk.ST myself to followup with the mk one, jeez XD.
I’ll give that article a good read through in the morning, thanks Ajunta! I need to start designing some more Option-Selects, I don’t know too many with Vega at present.

I think this article:

sonic hurricane dot com Footsies Handbook

Is a pretty good link for the guide. It’s Maj’s footsies handbook, which is one the most comprehensive, best fighting game guides I’ve ever seen. Considering Vega wins matches using footsies, and this article is a fantastic read anyway, I think it might be a good link.

@Korbidon

finding it hilarious that you completely missed me saying I would use it when I said it in a post quoted from you earlier :rofl:

Heh, sorry, I’m replying and reading this at work in between calls, so I’m missing or forgetting some of the details :smiley:

I’ll think I’ll just stop trying to help and let you do what you do :slight_smile:

Where do you get the info on Vega being +3 on a blocked Cosmic Heel at max range?

When I look at the frame data all it says is that he is -1 on a blocked Cosmic Heel and “D” (what does that mean?) on a connected Cosmic Heel.

Cosmic Heel has 5 active frames, when it hits with the first you’re at -1, when you hit with the 5th, you’re +3. D obviously means it causes a knockdown.