Vega Basics, Set-ups, and Tactics (with Hitbox!)

yeah, HK ST (buffer charge) MK ST (buffer charge) xx EX FBA

And just as majin practically taught me how to play Vega with his tutorial video, he comes back with a kickass thread going further into the basics X3

Enjoying the read so far, despite already knowing a lot of it, it’s nice to really have it all here as a reminder in case someone with a sieve for a brain like myself forgets half their stuff XD

holy ass. this thread is gdlike. finally i can put all the pieces of information together. thanks buddy

So a few things to add regarding safe jumps, just spewing stuff out and you can add whatever you think is important:

Backthrow away from corner, walljump HP: Tatsujinken figured out a setup a while back in Vanilla involving a walljump fierce. He did a bunch of testing for it too which can be found here http://shoryuken.com/f264/back-throw-mp-safe-jump-results-227534/index2.html#post8615236, a little more than halfway down the page (post #43). Basically, if you backthrow someone OUT of the corner, you can immediately jump off the wall and jHP them.

Regarding the CH > ST, backdash, j mp: There’s a way to still make it a pretty effective safe jump if they don’t quickstand. When you jump in with mp and see that they aren’t getting up, immediately whiff cr lp on landing then hold up to neutral jump. Come down with a very late mk, and this will be safe to 4 frame reversals (but not Flashkick because of the spacing).

Guile-specific safe jump info that I just posted in another thread and will copy here:

tutorial video?

[media=youtube]73wovBY87Pk[/media]

oh… lol that’s a really old one. yeah when that was released i had already learned all the moves and combos

Hehe, I did this tutorial with about 2 months of Fighting Game / SF experience and absolutely no editing skills, considering this, it didn’t turn out too bad. :wink:

I updated the thread. Thanks Deuy, I left out the Guile safe jump stuff, I think its a bit too character specific.

And pleasy guys, share more info! I really like to add way more stuff to this thread!

No problem, I figured the Guile stuff was a bit too specific but thought I’d throw it in anyway since I just typed it up in the other thread.

Also, the neutral jump mk add-on was for the backdash to j mp setup, not the cr mk one. For all I know it might work on that one too, but I only tested on the backdash setup so I can’t verify that. The timing and spacing is really specific so I would think it doesn’t work on the cr mk setup though.

Thanks for compiling this stuff, makes it really easy to reference info you would otherwise have to dig around for.

Ups, my bad, I accidentally wrote it in the wrong line.

I fixed it along with some other minor issues and also implemented spoilers for easier reading. :slight_smile:

Here is the old Vega Hitbox Data thread
It contains some special moves and ultras too.

I really want to know:
Hitbox data on FBA while neutrally sailing through the air
Hitbox data on FBA clawswipe startup
Hitbox data on the active frames in each Scarlet Terror

Shouldnt Jump-back-fierce be added to the CH(onblock) mixups?

Yes, it should, thank you.

@Meteo2: Ok, I try to do the hitbox data of the specials & ultras this weekend, if I can find some unused time…

Well, I’m a bit disappointed about the very few participants, I really thought that such a thread is what we need to gather info and may be just improve all our game a little bit… At least I tried…

What type of input are you looking for?

Be glad that you at least got this much attention. I posted a whole strategy thread a while ago with a ton of useful information and got almost totally no response. Not to mention the lack of attention I had from everything else I posted (videos, suggestions, etc.). That’s why I try not to even waste my time posting useful info anymore.

@ wwmajin
the info have been helpful although i think it might be better if the thread is small instead of big for navigation purpose

Its really not about the “attention” for me. I’m not doing this for the “good work” comments and stuff, I wanna collect this info so its accessable for all of us in one central spot and not scattered around in 5 threads with 10000+ replies. To step every bodys game up including mine.

TBH I havent checked SRK regularly up until the last few weeks and I havent seen your thread, but I have read some posts and seen your vids and you really shared some really good info. It would really suck for all of us if you stop contributing. One thing I learned numerous times is that you cant expect something in return for this kind of work, you have to do it because you like it and even if it reaches only a few people its worth it. Especially in SF, you really only need a few good player that you can share and discuss your info with…

I will search for your thread now!

@Chuck: Everything! Everything that a Vega player should know and implement in his game. Different options in a lot of situations, no matter if its a safe jump, effective mixup, setups…

@MILF: I thought with the spoilers it should be pretty easy to navigate?

I think this is a great thread. It’s just that the way forums work, if people don’t post, stuff like this ends up dropping to page two. It’s not that people don’t find it valuable, its just that sometimes people don’t have much to post about I guess. Consider putting info in a blog, or request a sticky. I think this thread could be worthy of a sticky. Other players have other projects they are working on like the new matchup guide, or an extensive combo catalog (wink).

Part of the problem is it’s kind of weird for one of us to post just a simple tip like “using two baits before the opponent gets up tricks them into thinking the second bait is a real attack” because the poster probably has tons of other stuff to talk about too. They try and compile it all and it ends up being a huge project that keeps getting pushed back. I’m guilty of doing this too with my “Claw Mindgames and Tactics” thread because I want to do a full rewrite with video links but still have other stuff to finish up.

wwmajin, feel free to loot any other thread for info too and copy it or just link to it in your first post. Lots of buried treasure around here due to the same problem of threads or posts getting lost.

how about corpse hop shenanigans? I know higher level people don’t use it, but I do and it’s effective when done properly. i think.
after corpse hop

1. throw
  2. tick throw
  3. c.lk to ex fba
  4. back dash then CH
  5. back flip
  6. jump back fierce.
  7. close fierce BNB