Ultra SF2 General Discussion - We need the CPS1 music!

Three things killed HDR.

1. It wasn’t released in Japan
  2. It wasn’t released in Arcades so people didn’t accept it as “official” (Sirlin didn’t count as “Capcom” apparently)
  3. OGs & Damdai consistently lost the HDR majors, and would get on the forums to slam the game for easier execution + "why is every matchup 5-5? not every matchup needs to be 5-5, why can’t I have an easy match up?"
    Even Ed Honda vs. Zangief is closer to 7-3 or 6-4 down from like a 9-1. http://wiki.shoryuken.com/Zangief_(ST)#Vs._E.Honda:

HDR at least kept the same speed, didn’t mess with the throw techs, etc.

Got any source for this (or better, links to the actual threads)?

HDR would probably be more ST definitive because of having an ST mode than USF2 if it will never add an ST mode to it’s gameplay mode. What ST community need in a new ST that keeps the gameplay of each character faithful to it’s ST counterpart, then make a balance version of Akuma playable, while better graphics and adding new characters is a consider bonus to them. Luring them with visual means in USF2 wouldn’t work because they are more meticulous and concern with ST’s gameplay perspective.

More Visual Concern Topic

I like Udon and HD remix in terms of art direction the only problem with them is during the walking and standing animation that animates like a stop animation video, Capcom should have fix. The ST select screen and HUD doesn’t worked well with Udon’s HDR art direction because they would contradict with ST design which used a lot of pantone colors that didn’t blend with Udon’s modern dark and solid colorization of character and stage sprites.

Capcom wants an ST remastered visually they should have been more faithful to the origin source material’s art direction by filtering the beautifully characters sprites and backgrounds sprites or by replace the backgrounds with either 3d skinned with the original 2d background. If they want to fully modernize SF2 then they should go using HD remix, GBA Revival, Udon pins or even mixing them all together won’t have problems because of there colors.

Domatenboss from mugen community managed to complete a playable higher-res of Ryu and other SF2 characters.

EDIT:

Art Direction really maters.

http://imgur.com/2DdK48q.gif

^^^^^ The Prototype=====================================> **The Final Product **^^^^^

https://pixlanim8r.wordpress.com/tag/pixel-animation/

https://scontent.fmnl4-2.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t31.0-8/fr/cp0/e15/q65/10355513_10154199275230150_4094536073151332363_o.jpg?efg=eyJpIjoibCJ9&oh=d20d8d3e214ffed840078422d9d6e911&oe=5920AA62

that would have been a nice fit with Revival Portraits!

If they just did stay faithful to the ST revival’s and ST combined art direction. it should have been better than anyone else.

The prototype even with less shading would have been still superior art direction.

KOF rebout

http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/fighters-database/images/f/f5/Ryo_Sakazaki_-King_of_Fighters_94-_PS2.png/revision/latest?cb=20131124193533

Other license sprites that are slightly bigger than the usual/traditional CPS sprites that is faithful to the original source:

LINE SF2 Icons

Kakao Talk Animated SF2 icons

Non-official and fan made stuff with less shading:

other stuff

I’m pretty pumped for this, so long as it’s taken with a grain of salt. ST was one of my favorites, but there’s lots that I feel could be done differently. HDR is sort of how it drew my attention, but the Remix mode never did it for me. I hope this is a Switch exclusive–if nobody’s really looking to use it for tournament play, there’s less harm cutting loose with balance changes and confining them to a single system.

-SFII with throw breaks is going to be a radically different ballgame. Untechable throws are slightly scarier this way, and it turns stuff like knee bash or Boxer’s headbutt from loops into strike/throw situations. I actually think that’s pretty exciting.
-I thought sac throws were pretty silly so no love lost there.
-In defense of the old throw system, I mained Blanka, so this is gonna suck
-I sincerely hope the HDR visuals get more touchups down the line. The high-res SSFII portraits look stellar, and the game sprites don’t measure up.
-The background and music options are already better than HDR’s, and hopefully players get the freedom to choose any to their liking.
-Similary, I suspect the slower speed is a placeholder. I wouldn’t be surprised to see the Turbo settings brought back in, as well.
-I don’t even like shotoclones and I want to play Violent Ken. Send help
-Why are Evil Ryu and Akuma present? Without the changes to their normals from SSFIV they seem overly similar here, excusing the hopkick.

"Maybe what makes (ST) so enjoyable is that not every matchup is a difficult grind or stalemate."

Sirlin’s observation: “For some reason, people seem to be arguing in favor of more imbalance. They want Cammy to be worse, they want Sagat to have large advantage over other characters.”

"How can you be so naive as to measure snakeeyez’ HDR performance against legendary ST players."
(there are more posts where he trashes SnakeEyez, and Zangief winning the final SF2 Evo tournament was pretty much the death knell for the game as the community devolved to infighting over it)

I think the “not every match up needs to be a 5-5” comment was either in a podcast or at a tournament.

Its pretty simple really. This game will be fun for a while and prolly have the same shelve-life as HDR. Die-hard ST players will play for a while then go back to OG ST Arcade. They need to error on the side of nerf for the new characters or it’ll take about 30mins after its release for people to break them.

*People complaining about $40 for this game? Really? Dinner and movie costs more than that these days.

This game isn’t worth 40$

It’s actually worth 340 dollars if you account for the system.

The high cost is probably because of the 3D first-person VR(?) mode that they’re teasing.

http://i0.wp.com/shoryuken.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/usf2_trailer_first_person.jpg?fit=750%2C400&resize=600%2C400

And a Hori stick for another 70

Aka more shit that nobody gives a fuck about but Capcom still spends time on

Johnny Casual will probably eat that shit up, which is probably an indication of who they’re targeting with this.

Of course it’s targeted at casuals, why else would they make it Switch-exclusive?

And tech throws

And Edgy Ken

Add $70 for a Pro Controller or Hori stick, because the JoyCon that comes with the console doesn’t have a d-pad and playing with analog sticks is not good for most people

Nobody mentioned this but this screenshot actually shows breakable objects in Ryu’s stage in original CPS2 graphics mode.

Those didn’t exist in the Dreamcast/HDRemix or original ST and weirdly are omitted in HD mode unless you can enable them through some DIP switch setting ala DC version.

HSF2 did have them so I guess they are using the latest CPS2 version code and nothing from HD Remix except the graphics.

The hori stick will be $150.

Are the OG players gonna complain about Akuma, Evil Ryu, and Violent Ken being too powerful for tournament play? Tournamnet standard should be the CPS2 graphics!!!

Interesting. I wonder what kind of glitch combos this will allow for.

And by that I would assume it is a modified Nesica HSF2 version (and by the screen borders).