Tournament Player Archetypes

I throw 20 sonic booms all day long.
Nothing Else.
I even throw them in my sleep.

I just wanted to put in my two cents.

In addition to playing fighters I’m also a CCG (collectible card game) addict. In Magic the Gathering we have four pretty established player archetypes, three of the four are tournament archetypes. These three are

Spike: Spike plays to win. He reads every article he can find, practices like hell, and isn’t satisfied with being second best.

Timmy: Timmy’s there to have a good time. He likes competing, even if he doesn’t win, and is extremely excited with even pulling off a small combo (if you don’t know CCG’s have combos too) against a more powerful player. (perhaps the scrub?)

Johnny: This guy likes winning with new strategies, and performing ludicrous combos even if it doesn’t win him the game. (The stylish player)

The fourth is

Vorthos: He plays because he’s obsessed with the characters and the story. (Kinda like R.P.D. rookie)

In addition to this there are a few different play styles in Magic:

Combo: Ignore the enemy completely until you see room to perform a ridiculous long series K.O. and then do so. (The turtle combined with Gimicky Pete)

Control: In Magic the pros tend to play control a lot more than other types. This is a completely reactive style of play, in which each move your opponent makes is countered back onto them. (a player relying on parrys)

Burn/Weenie: In Magic these are two completely different play styles, but in fighters they are the same. Hit the opponent with the same thing, over and over and over and over and over again until they die. (The Grumpy Old Man)

I find it interesting that these aspects of play seem to cross over the two worlds of fighters and CCG’s. Perhaps its why I like both so much!

P.S. Please don’t knock me for playing CCG’s. Its a waste of server space.

Your analogies are wrong. You’re trying to compare player archtypes to character(deck) archtypes. The MTG player archtypes can be applied to just about every competitive scene. The “styles” you listed are just the character types. You’d compare them to shoto, zoner, grappler, ect…

A turtle will turtle with any character, and using your example of turtle=combo, a turtle will combo with every deck. A turtle picking a character with the tools to turtle(combo deck) will do better than with an offensive character(burn deck). A turtle with a weenie deck will probably save up all their monsters and “combo” with them all.

I’m saying that those player types would be predisposed to play with those types of decks because they can win with them. I have a turtle friend and he only wins with combo style “big move” decks because when he plays weenie he doesn’t attack. I’d say I was making more of an analogy between the deck builder and the fighter player type than between the deck type and player type.

Your example is exactly what I mean. Just because he is a turtle doesn’t mean he has to play a combo deck, he can turtle with a weenie deck, it just won’t get him as far. The same in fighters.

“Ex: Jeff Schaefer, any character, every game.”

Your friend is the turtle, not the deck. You even said this with “I have a turtle friend…”.

In fighters characters have more freedom in that you can turtle/rush down with most characters and be somewhat effective, while in mtg using a style that differs from your deck’s style generally doesn’t work well at all.

I’m actually a cross between a turtler/counter and a stylish player. Generally, I take very few risks and usually try to bait the opponents risky moves. Once I get into a position to have an offensive advantage, I change to the stylish type. Generally I go for flashy combos even if a much easier combo would have killed the opponent and it has backfired on me sometimes.

It also depends on the style of play of the opponent. Against random nonsensical players, I tend to be a turtle, waiting for dumb shit to come out so I can punish. Oddly enough against a good player with really good reaction and complex gameplay, I end up turtling because I’m too afraid of them. Against players that give me the openings to be offensive, I will play as the stylish player.

You play in tournaments?

Online is his tournament feel…I mean it does have the “same” pressure…:wink:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :tup:

Win and god. :rofl:

:rofl: I need to play against Emil @ EVO '08 :rofl:

any game, would be an epic battle, like the Choi VS Wong match from last year…

What he said. SC2 GI just doesn’t offer the same risk/reward relationship as a 3S parry.

I’m also inclined to disagree that parries make 3S a turtles paradise. I’m not a high level player by any means, but I’ve found parries have opened up my game significantly.

???27

???17???19??30???·???1835???1837?1???- -???1839?8???“1???”?1840??1?10???·???1???·???"??"???1???"???"???12???20???240???1????????1840?5?6???5?1????????·???"????"????????1840?5?1????????1949?10?8???

I love these “characters”: they’re so fun.

Grumpy old man is my favorite.

nice article, thanks

pyroree!!

holy crap necro thread!!!

thread necros in this section are good

I don’t dislike thread necros… Its just that this is the first thread I ever posted in. I still agree with what I said btw. Even if no one else does.

It’s not like you’re seeing NEW threads in this section…