To critique or not to critique

Sheesh! People are way too sensitive nowadays. Anyone who cries to their mama because some unknown putz on the internet says their artwork sucks probably shouldn’t post their work in the first place. Hell, they probably should never come out of their house because real life is a whole lot harsher…bah.

I know this thread’s pretty old an’ all… but all I hafta say is, I’ve been through that kinda shit before. Hell, the ONLY reason why I posted in this thread is to get better, and see wide varieties of different styles! I mean, I worked really really hard to get where I am at the age of 17, and that was due to constant studying of animes and realism, but MOSTLY the criticism of others. I know it really sucks an’ all, but whoever gets offended by comments/opinions to their art, maybe means that you KNOW they’re right and you refuse to accept it, or you just can’t accept the fact that you might have a flaw. Would it make it better if you led them to believe’ it’s the best thing since sliced bread’, that’ll make it worse. At least you’re telling the truth. I’m not sayin you should say it’s TERRIBLE, just needs work. No one’s perfect! If you really can’t take it though, I’ll respect that as a person, but you shouldn’t mind the crits, anyway… it’s not truth, it’s opinion. I mean, isn’t beauty is in the eye of the beholder?
OK, crits shouldn’t be ridiculed for having an opinion, we ALL have those. It’s just more on what the artist thinks of themselves. So just leave the Crits alone, cuz we ALL are crits one way or another.

(-_-)
~Kandoken~

You just have to consider where you’re at. Now, if someone here asks for a crit, good. Otherwise, I’m sure a lot of us do this in spare time and don’t intend to make a living off it. So the fanart is for the sake of fun, not a higher level of artistic discussion =p

Now, somewhere like www.theispot.com is a place for pro and aspiring illustrators. If you promote something there, expect a crit, asked for or not.

:slight_smile: “MASTER ARTIST”

LoL, wow I wrote that a year ago, and I still follow by it. I’ve gotten better, and my photoshop skills are very impressive now. I’m in college now too! Not art college unfortunately, but I’ll be makin monnnnney when I get my computer engineering degree, and I’ll have enough free time to work on my art more. I’m still open to do Avatars if anyone ever wants one, just dont be too specific on what you want, cause I dont like filling requests for picky people.
-Chu

Oh yah, I also learned how to use flash, check out some of my work so far:
http://members.fortunecity.com/cthulhuluke/main2.html
http://members.fortunecity.com/cthulhuluke/pguy.html
http://members.fortunecity.com/cthulhuluke/circle2.html

http://www.mamestation.tk I just did the intro
currently I’m working on this one guys page
http://www.geocities.com/cthulhuluke/temp/index.html

I’m not currently taking flash requests unless I get something in exchange, and I can currently be easily pursuaded if someone’s willing to get me 10 competition pushbuttons from www.happcontrols.com I’ll make you a damn nice page thats for sure.

Having worked five years in animation, I can say it’s safe to say that an informed critic is a great help.

Someone who’s been it it longer or has a good eye will help you improve. I have a friend who’s worked in animation for 15 years.

What he says is often- the truth.:smiley:

I understand that there’s critiqueing, and then there’s downright trash-talking…speaking of which, who is this Sweet guy? People aren’t even asking for opinions, they’re just posting stuff, and he bashes the hell out of them. That kinda crap could lead to us amateur artists, and even some good ones not posting their art for fear of it not being “Good Enough”…

Funny, people just asked liked ****s to me.

http://www.die-simpsons.de/pic-db/pic-upload/norm/pics/sotb/homer11.gif

i don’t know if you guys are reading my chun li thread, but it’s gone past critique there - wombat is accusing me of stealing the art. i won’t go into details and i’ll be closing the thread soon (i just want him to read the last post there for closure) but i hope he learns his mistake. i don’t expect an apology, and i’m sure as hell not going to post anything else up on these boards having to do with my sketches. it’s not worth the grief some of these posters give the fanartists - constructive criticism is one thing, but posting crap up that makes the guy not want to share anymore defeats the purpose of these threads imho.

BTW, how do you put a pic on your computer on here? I’ve tried several times but it never seems to transfer and I REALLY want to see how my art fairs against you guys. (I’m no Da Vinci:p ) I draw with pen pencils and the mouse.:slight_smile:

It is true in this world that some of us never use common sense a-chan, but your right about everything, encouraging a beginning artist is what makes the Fan Art Gallery fun. We all started low at some standard, and work or way up to talented drawers. I hope everyone can realize that…

one more thing. i would like to post some of my art so all you good people can tell me what im doin wrong, so i can fix it. do i need to scan it and save it or somthin like that? what i need do?
p.s. sorry for the newbish question. you probly get it all the freakin time.:sweat:
donkey

**If you want to learn hands, grab an anatomy book. You should be able to find something like that at your local library.

As for critiques, I appreciate harsh ones. I even don’t mind Sweet’s abrasive methods. The thing about Sweet is that he hardly ever posts his own work on these boards, and the stuff I saw wasn’t mind-blowing (though it was good). If SFMC gave me criticism, I’d take it more seriously than I would from Sweet, since SFMC posts a lot of his work and its always excellent.**

nifty. thanks

:stuck_out_tongue:

I’m typing this all over again, from scratch. Damn computer.X_X

I’m not qouting because there’s too much to qoute.

I agree with everything said by a-chan. My viewpoints, some anyway, you don’t want me to type them all, are as follows:

Fan art galleries are there to post your art and show it to other people. There’s no reason to critique unless someone asks for it. I think a critique without constructive criticism can’t even be called a critique. What’s the point of even commenting if you’re not going to give suggestions or a reference, something positive? No one wants to hear “Your art sucks.” Don’t point out every little flaw in someone’s work, it hurts, even for those people who are all “I feel no emotions. Words do not effect me.” it does, they just don’t show it.

EVERYONE started out “sub-standard” which is really basing their artwork off the majority’s, which is the same as basing it off of one person’s, making the words “sub-standard” and “average” really annoying and are just really worthless words in the English langauge, so limited… I don’t compare myself to “average” art, I compare myself to what my goal is. Critiques are there to help me reach that goal, but they can still hurt, if said harshly. Watch what you say. It shouldn’t matter wether somone is good or bad, it’s art, enjoy it, they’re putting it up because they want to. I started out crappy, Vango started out crappy, O’ Keffe, all the manga artists. There’s no reason to bash someone’s artwork. No one deserves that.

Another thing. People, grow up. You’d think that anyone above the age of 13, 15 and ESPECIALLY 18, would have the decency, the understanding of human emotions/ understanding of the consequences and common sense, which I know is hard to tap into for some people, to stop saying, “Oh, he did this.” “Hey, she did that.” There’s no reason to put it on the boards. There’s a PM system for a damn reason. Resolve your issues with people off the boards. Besides, these attacks and low blows just make you look like an idiot. It doesn’t make the person you’re attacking look worse, it makes you look worse. I, and I’m sure most others, though I don’t speak for them, don’t care what happened in the past. It’s the past. (Obviously, this doesn’t apply to repeat offenders, such as a serial killer, or those who have done horrible things.) Leave it alone, leave the person alone. No one wants to hear about it. I see it to every damn board I go to, except for a group of them where a group of people circulate through them and are mature, which is hard to find. Just stop the flames already. I don’t care, and my bet is that no one else does either.

I thank you very much if you’ve taken the time to read this post, as it has been long.:slight_smile:

Any flames you may have can be directed at me by e-mail at: dragonflame327@yahoo.com

Do be aware that all flames will be read, laughed at, and then deleted.:slight_smile:

-DF

PS- Society sucks. I know you agree. :stuck_out_tongue:

Yes I do…:evil:

wow, this thread kept going and going and going. :eek:

Good to see people were actually reading it and understanding.

its been a while, but eventually I’ll start posting some stuff again. I miss drawing fan art.

bump