Tiger Construction: Sagat Match-up Thread

what are sagat options during the tk block string or after

Anything he wants. Anything. Usually it varies on how much frame advantage the Sagat knows he has. If he knows he has +3 or more then you can expect a more offensive response. If he knows he has less then that then expect a more defensive response. Or he may just wing it as long as it was well spaced.

Here’s a rundown of the best follow-ups after a well spaced blocked TK.

1. Blocked TK , walk back (opponents whiff or mash ) , fwd lk > link cr lp > DP /TK/TS
    If the fwd lk hits , link into cr lp>tk will combo for 4 hits since that usually means the opponent is standing , and will still combo on crouching opponent if the cr lp is close enough

Hi Sagat users this won’t take a minute.
I have a few survey questions for Sakura Forums Research.
WE are keen to know the opinions of the vs Sakura match up across the character forums.
[list=1]
[]What’s the best approach to beating a average/good Sakura player?
[
]How do you beat a defensive Sakura and how do you beat an offensive one?
[/list]
I see the great above but I was wondering if anybody else had any extra thoughts.

I’m not that much of a pro, but I learned a few things, hope it helps

Dhalsim - You can TK over his s.hp

Akuma - This dude can be a pain in the ass when he’s far away, I got served by a few until I realised that if he’s so good when he’s far away, spamming air fireballs/Strong 3 hit fireballs/divekicks, going close should solve my problem. Guess what? Shit works wonders. Don’t try to jump too much or he’ll just throw air fireballs/time a 3 hit strong fireball. Try to dash as you can and only jump to avoid an air fireball. When youre close, It’s time to do go offensive. With his low stamina/stun and the fact you shortened his offensive options, he’s pretty much yours. If he tries to tele. Get ready for him where he should end his tp - He’s open when It’s finished, use TK to close gaps if he tps too far

Keep an eye on his super/ultra, and try to predict when he’s trying to do SGH. Just check if he’s doing lps and lks, keep an eye especially when he’s on ground. If you think he’s going for it, just jump and kick his ass. I know that in 3s you could’ve SRK the fuck out of him, so maybe a TU will work here too. Need confirmation about this and if TK works against SGH

Hi again Sagat users. I can see above that you have already posted some great points about sakura but I was still wondering if anybody else has anything to add to this.

I have run into all kinds of sagat strategies online. The ones who spammed lk tiger knee with focus attack mixups or poke, poke, uppercut beat me better than tiger spam jump back tiger spam, standing roundhouse if I jump in.

^ A little tip that a friend of mine used

If youre far away, and do your regular low/high TS, be careful, Sakura’s EX dp + K can travel the whole screen, above your fireballs

It’s also the same about Akuma’s leap iirc, probably Gouken’s too

thanks man!

does anyone have any information on Gen? Nobody in my area plays him very well and I don’t want to get scrubbed out by this bullshit where people do well with some shitty character just because nobody at the tournament knows what the fuck this character does because nobody plays him.

Gen isn’t shitty my good sir.

Zone him with St. RH and Tiger shots. Keep him away. His wall dive cannot be Focus Absorbed because it breaks. It’s not safe on block so if you block a wall dive, you can go to town on him.

Other than that I usually just put him in Tiger Knee loops as long as he doesn’t have meter for EX wall dive.

then you can tell I’ve never played a good gen… :stuck_out_tongue:
I just see him and he seems so… inefficient. Flashy and well liked by crowds, but I really haven’t played against him and I have a lot of trouble learning from videos though I try as most of my knowledge comes from that as really the only real comp in my area is a zangief player.

Does gen have a move to rape me when I throw out s.rh if I’m not careful/unpredictable with how I do it (zangief will c.lk -> death me for example)? Like for example a normal that will combo to his stupid hundred hands loop bullshit that can hit the rh’s shadow or just my foot
What are his optimal ranges?
For example, vs Gief there is a range where his standing MP beats every move except sagat’s standing MK (and TU but that doesnt count) so he likes that range.
What options does he have for going through/over/under fireballs that aren’t immediately obvious that I wouldn’t know by just checking his moves on training mode (like gief’s kara EX Green Hand that reaches farther than regular EX greenhand)?
Does he have a normal like ryu’s C.mk that makes him go under tiger knee?
Does he have moves that beat tiger knee every time or is he fucked against tiger knee corner trap like meterless claw?
Why does cajunstrike in the videos i’ve seen of him vs. Jibbo never antiair Gen, does cajunstrike just suck at antiairing or is there something specific that he is scared of?
Does he have any moves like lariat that are easy to abuse that i need to make very sure that I know how to punish and know what their hitbox is shaped like?
Any scrubby gimmicks that every gen will try on me and will work the first time but not if i know about it? (remember when sagat f.rh whiff -> throw worked all day on the first day of release lol)
Anything else he has that randomly fucks up certain sagat stuff that works in most matchups but not here?
What are the best ways to open a round against gen (ex: jump back fierce at start vs. honda)?
What move am I the most deadly afraid of when I play against correct playing Gen?

Sorry for the lack of updates, school and work are dominating my time. I think things will slow down in a few weeks for me and I can get back into the loop.

btw, Gen rapes me too anotak… lol. I’ll siphon the solid info and throw it into the match up section.

I’d like to point out that Sagat’s throw does not beat Abel’s command grab, as stated in the Abel matchup section. Normal throw loses to tornado throw every time, because tornado throw has complete grab invulnerability. EX tornado has complete strike invulnerability, but can be thrown. Abel players tend to train themselves to tornado throw every time they think you’re going to throw, so keep that in mind during reset situations or during mixups. EX grab is useful for snatching poorly-executed links or for when the Abel player knows that you know that he wants to command grab your normal throw and that you will probably hit a normal instead in an attempt to beat the command grab. :wgrin:

Can we get some data on Ryu and Akuma? They are so heavily played, we need info :china:

For Ryu, play the zoning game to the best of your ability with tiger shots. If he ever jumps into Tiger Uppercut range, you know the deal… Against Ryu be careful with your blockstrings especially always ending them with a safe Tiger Knee because if you get too predictable with them, he can shoryu>FADC>Ultra.

Also be careful with using Tiger Knees too often as a pressure tool because Ryu can Crouch MK. which *always *will go under your Tiger Knee and he can punish accordingly. It’s a great tool for Ryu because…

A.) He can just throw it out as a poke
B.) If you Tiger Knee, his Cr.MK will whiff but he can’t be hit by your knee and he can punish if you’re in his range.

For Akuma, this match is quite even and stalemate at times. I find that a good Akuma will always stay out/teleport out of your “sweet spot”. A good majority of the match will be both you guys throwing different kinds of fireballs at eachother from mid/far range. Just be aware that if Akuma has EX meter he might try to throw an EX demon flip at you in between your fireball animation so that when you shoot your fireball, he’ll hit/throw you during your TS motion with his EX Demon Flip. You can Jump back/forward HP him outta this though as long as you can predict/react to it on time and it will always beat him.

Don’t use Focus Attack at close/1-1.5 character spaces away range. Good Akumas will always use Double Roundhouse if they see this and it will beat your Focus Attack obviously. I’m always wary about using FA to absorb his fireballs when he has EX Meter since if you do it too early and Akuma sees this, he can EX Demon Flip.

Just wanted to point out an error in the Viper section:

You can do both a front and back flame kick without moving. But you still need to watch how she moves when you re knocked down all the same because of her j.rh. If she takes a slight step forward before jumping, the rh will cross up. If she stays still or steps back, it’ll hit in the front.

But yeah, her movement isn’t that good an indicator on where the flame kick will hit. You’re better off using focus if you’re certain she’s gonna do a flame kick.

Just poking my head in here… noticing that your Abel section is… well… almost entirely filled with bad info.

Just saying…

I just…rush Abel. Play footsies. Abel’s footsies aren’t that amazing. He is a momentum based character. And I just take advantage of his poor wake-up.

I feel like you guys are getting too caught up in zoning when in reality alot of the time you are probably better off relying more on Sagat’s rushdown, with TK traps, well spaced pokes and mix-ups on wake-up.

Just my take.

That’s the down side to a community driven matchup chart, we’ll have some things that work for that individual but not others, so the idea would be to use Bruce Lee’s philosophy when reading these… take what you need/works for you and discard what doesn’t :rofl:

With that said, do you see any items that are blatantly bad that should be removed?