The Ultra Inevitable Street Fighter V Story Thread

Also, as far as I remember, Ryozo took over the FG division at Capcom before the Sagat & G reveal, so it could’ve been his idea and now he wants to drop the whole season as a bomb since he doesn’t think the previous seasons’ approach was that profitable. It will be incredibly hard to make a Season 5 after all the salt that’s been created, though, so this might be the final bang before next-gen.

I wouldn’t count on disciple chars like Maggio and Phantom appearing before SFVI.

1 Like

Same impression too, UK guy tried hard twice make clear they got something big that will surprise us

For what’s worth, i much prefer her SFA/4 look than this new concept
Classic one is more visionary, “new” (hopefully not) one seem more normal urban clothes, something i don’t need/want in SF as long i can avoid it lol

Actually i think it’s good
He did’nt forgot his rival Ryu, but changed his soul in the way he live his rivalry
“blind obsession”… blind is the key there
Sagat in the past was so “blind” due revenge desire that let himself become Bison’s dog
The SF4 Sagat that left Shadaloo seem very changed, somebody that returned to “see”
He’s not saying to NOT have a target, he’s saying to not let this hunt to deform your life

Both SF2 Sagat and SFV Nash are a shell of former themselves

Not only as a “bad thing” on moral level, but as something “wrong” in the fighter’s spirit… it was literally an advice fighter to fighter

Even Bison mock Nash on that in ASF
Too bad for Nash at that point was already too late, while for Sagat there was still hope and he recovered

Sagat in SF2 wanted destroy Ryu for SF1 events, Sagat in SF4/V is a martial artist who restored himself and want to progress as a fighter and as human… quitting have Ryu as a goal to him will mean quit being a martial artist

There will be no honor at stop chasing Ryu now, only acceptable reasons will be if Ryu die or if Ryu somehow lose the path, becoming weak and not worth of being a true final test anymore

Also him caring only about Ryu ignoring other fighters make sense
If you think about it Sagat is already above almost everyone else
Who else i place above Sagat?
Bison, Gill, Urien, Oro, Akuma, Gouken, i think Gen and Nash in his best day too

He know Bison, but i think like Akuma he despise Bison’s artificial path to power. Likely in same way he is’nt interessed at cross fist with him… like a swordman is’nt interessed at duel vs somebody using a gun (outside Mitsurugi LOL), because he recognize the treat but does’nt respect it as actual skill

He never seen Gill, Urien, Oro

He maybe know about Akuma’s existence but not much aside that, similar for Gouken who was also believed to be dead for years.

He likely know Gen will be a formidable opponent, but they did’nt meet in SF1 and i doubt he wanted challenge him after knowing he was super old man with cancer, seem too proud for that

Nash and him never really crossed paths. The only chance was in SFA days and they did’nt

Anybody else feel below him tbh… he lost to Adon and DeeJay, but he likely moved on knowing that it was due him being miserable and not them being particulary good

Tbh if “S4” dropped as a 5 characters pack get good reception, i can see them do a S5 in same way

Specially if S5 is connection with SF3, SF3 fans are the most taliban of the group, if they get a full SF3-based pack, they will buy (and me with them)

5 Likes

I mean, I’ll buy any pack that doesn’t have any Evil Ryus and Violent Kens in it.

Speaking of which…so they basically renamed Shin Akuma to Oni, and renamed Evil Ryu to Kage, what should they rename Violent Ken to?

My vote is for Rage. You got Kage and Rage!

10 Likes

Dude don’t give them ideas please, even if they come with the same name, at least make them go through the whole 5 five minutes of mental effort required to create such future SF5 characters.

Is there any news of the free to play version being released? Looks to me like the only reason to not openly say SFV support is over. My preference would be for them to announce SF6 at EVO so we have something to look forward to.

1 Like

Wait till they drop Sakura or Sagat alter ego? lol

I hate to link eHubs but this was where I entered the rabbit hole: https://www.eventhubs.com/news/2019/mar/28/yoshinori-ono-mentions-talks-capcom-research-and-development-team-street-fighter-5s-next-step/

The fact that Capcom has been silent for 4 months and all we get is “talking to R&D about the next step” is a REALLY bad look. I would legitimately not be surprised at this point if Kage is the last SFV character and the rest of 2019 is skins/stages and one final patch before the game just goes F2P.

I imagine Capcom left the door open for more content because everything was dependent on AE actually giving the game growth in the same way Tekken’s updates have. There were copies of AE sold, sure, but a large active playerbase is what a game like SFV needs in order to be profitable because all the money is in micro transactions. This was the business model from the start, and a lot of signs point to it being seen as a partial failure in Capcom’s eyes.

The hard truth is that this console generation has been TERRIBLE for Capcom fighting games. Coming off the SFxT fiasco, Capcom wanted to enter the eSports scene with a new game, leading to SFV and the heavy focus on the CPT. The problem is, SFV’s launch (and most of year 1 really) was a disaster and only now has the game reached the general approval of a lukewarm bowl of water. Capcom tried to go a different direction with fighters and … MvCI happened. And Capcom can’t even say that fighting games are a hard genre to sell; DBFZ sold gangbusters, and Tekken has seen steady growth on a fraction of the tournament production value. There’s obviously serious problems within Capcom that need to be addressed before they try another fighting game, and I think we aren’t going to see another fighter until the PS5, and several years in at that.

9 Likes

Tbh i will not give much weight about this, seem more than anything Ono being Ono trying in Ono way to be useful

If really good stuff is coming for 2019 (so in matter of few months, like June), the research and develepment part was done long ago if we speak about “S4”

Speak today to them can only be about 2020/“S5” i guess and not much relevant to current desert situation

Capcom’s fighting game department being a dumpster fire has been an open secret for years.

Reference: many of my previous posts LOL

1 Like

In the remote case there’s still big content left to deliver, I really hope the reason to delay the announcements isn’t merely Ono wanting to be in the spotlight and telling everyone to not move a finger until he’s back, it would be quite lame.

Well as long it’s not another edge shotoclone or doll, guess it’s welcome anyway.

My optimistic feel atm is that we are going to get

• bunch of characters together, i think 5 if they want to complete the “season” or 4 if the want release another single one at the end of the year

• a large update to the story, covering G, Neo Shadaloo and the mini FF group

• a new mechanic, either CA2 or VS2

I also think all that stuff is already mostly done and they’re doing the polish and testing part

I can see something like that still taking time, a June or July or even September release can be justified. And beyond that if you plan one single big update for 2019, pick a date in the middle or even 3/4 of the year make more sense than first months… Also to not get too much gap with 2020

If they go that way is good as thing itself, but whoever Is handling the communication should be fired anyway lol, this crap is causing tons and tons of absolutely avoidable negativity toward the brand

The hype they will generate with surprise announcement (at E3?) will still not pay back for the negativity… Specially considering that even if they said “wait this Summer for a big surprise” we still have got tons of hype, discovering who the char are, see theyr trailers, see eventually new stuff etc

1 Like

Between RE2 and Sekiro I’ve been missing a lot of good discussion in here.

I don’t know what’s going on with Capcom, they’re either preparing something really big that will be released all of a sudden like Sagat, G and Kage were or we might be in a worst case scenario. Either way we’re getting at least one more character for sure because they won’t leave the select screen with a hole in the corner.

4 Likes

The tone of the statement isn’t exactly reassuring. They’re not “planning the future of SFV”, they’re just trying to figure out what happens next.

I honestly expect the next character to be a doll. Every time I have a flash of SFV in my dream, it ends up relating to whatever happens in the future. Believe me, I can’t unsee Abigail’s cyclops costume in a doll outfit no matter how badly I wish I could.

1 Like

As of now we can still expect a reveal since Ono already mentioned it, but it’s not guaranteed based on the tone it sound like a struggle because it’s like a request and not something that was there all along.

There maybe something there as a character but it isn’t something like we used to expect every season since it’s already 2019.

It sounds like Capcom is having a very tight budget as of S4. It’s like how SF4 ended with USF4 situation that Combofiend according to interviews tries to salvage the series for it’s last breath.

Even the stages and recent costumes mirrored there situations that the department is now struggling with a tight budget and having different priorities.

A safe bet for the company that guaranteed $$$ because it’s like-able for casual fans that likes the edgy versions of characters.

Kage is very like the situation of what was Decapre years ago.

It’s like that they usually resort to pick this kind of characters when things are nearing end.

S3 could have been the best season and last.

It would be even funny that we would a more edgy version of Chun li or Sakura later, Which isn’t far from happening in the future SF titles games rather than the hope of a proper characters.

Capcom and even Bamco is pretty much aware that it’s not really what is demanded would be played or needed. Some just want characters for the sake of having it or jumping with the bandwagon of request(ei: Honda) then latter own after release would just play the characters after a month then leave it.

That’s why the trick of the polls is not to choose a single character. So that it would reveal the deepest desire base on the statics of choices.

So even the loudest and most active on the social media wouldn’t be confuse as the majority representation.

This reveals the request motivated by hype and trends which unreliable.

It also separates the unreliable request base on curiosity or wanting to see something never before seen. because they are just base on the illusion of imagination not something of being a fan of or having an attachment with that idea.

In this current situation of S4 it also exposes some fans are desperate to take everything as for a character reveal for the sake of something to reveal.

The only question is will they purchase what they demand if Honda or Rose would be reveal or a unknown cool background character or would they just go back playing other UNIST, DBFZ or some NRS products? What kind of people would stay with Honda or Rose base on there data.

Imagine Edgy Sakura or Edgy Chunli with Psycho Uber God Bison? lol people would throw more $$$ of purchase even many of the niche community would rant on threads, twitter and social media. Then if they are played effectively some of the competitive community would say it’s gameplay because it’s also correct in some standpoint.

This situation of request and target audience reaction are like favoring the idea of a F2P SF which is a bad idea for those that value the franchise more than a fighting gaming.

Even looking at the recent Zangief costume was just a MASK with new dialogues. The purchase would measure how people would accept those kind of arrangement of costumes.

As for Cinematic 2 about the new doll that was claimed to be finished last 2017 and reserve for Super SF5 or whatever SF5 expansion is far from happening. There was no sign or hint of it being real.

Plus the fake news of cinematic mode and characters also contributes to the idea of that request being niche because the costumes is the most talked.

Storymode is a disaster to the mass audience impression, I did like it personally but were talking about the appeal with majority this includes the casuals and fans who would always compare SF to NRS products and other storymode in other fighters.

Those guys even interested with the is very niche which I am included.

We even the guys that are into the story has a majority of disliking it in someway.

That also includes some in the competitive community that never bothered mostly with it and just talk that everything is least important other than net code and events while downplaying the casual stuff in social media.

Include also the guys that would say SFV wouldn’t win any casual interest by adding modes like arcade and storymode. Or those that trivialize and made stories or anecdotal opinions that the lack of decent standard standalone and modes of SFV is because isn’t the title targeted for casuals when it was launch.

They maybe right because it seems the casuals and fans would do gravitate more into crossover costumes and cosmetic changes which is guaranteed $$$ than modes that a lot of time and resources to accomplish.

This was majority of community with those feedback is likely to lead things to a F2P business model for SF rather than a actual retail product.

Even the failure of MVCI also contribute to favor this bad idea, Capcom doesn’t look it as the lack of Xmen, but rather would see it it’s all about graphics and content like storymode is not helping.That even the likes of contest of the champion is doing much better than MVCi because of the f2p strategy with enticing microtransaction.

Even spreading fake rumor and leaks about DLC costumes and modes does also expose the vulnerability of people to favor a F2P environment because it only generates the factor that they are very much eager to give more $$$ to the said strategy.

It just promotes the data into thinking that costumes and stages is guaranteed more $$$ because of the demands and interest along with the purchase of costumes both nostalgic and crossover than designing a mode like the cinematic mode which has more production value and take more resources.

The toxicity from many things are like the zeitgeist dragging everything to those shaded f2p model.

Actually if you would think SFV vanilla is almost like a freemium and f2p that because of the lack of default standalone mode and punishing survival mode that was meant for grinding

The problem with SFV vanilla why it failed miserably in retail is because they are including a price tag with a game that have similarities with a F2P in design, but it did also show the power of DLC were effective strategy that made the game in a better situation or probably financed better latter.

This was already been done by KI, Tekken and Soul series.

Ki was successful because the design and priority it had in a F2P model designed for western audience compare to the one Bamco did.

I just hope SF6 has proper content and package of default modes like arcade and wouldn’t end up like the issue of SFV(vanilla), SFXT and MVCI it’s like there are some individuals in the internal of Capcom that are trying to push things in a unlikely position that can possibly exploit more $$$, that it took those kind of risk and gamble with those promising franchise titles and they had such big promotion value.

Me I still want a beat em up mode in the game like fighting a horde in a stage that needs to survival for a particular time.

Before closing the door to SF2. I still want to see the Delta Red guys in a what if we had a new cinematic mode or a character from their team like Keith Wolfman using Tonfa and play like a Jinyu or Captain Commando.

I still want to see Necro versus Dhalsim and Blanka. That he had a new move that pulls himself towards the opponent like Spencer does in MVC3

And the I know my Jianyu and Xianyu is now unlikely I would settle for a two in one character as Hugo with Poison to play like CVS2 Chang and Choi.

2 Likes

Jesus christ that is a long ass post!

3 Likes

You are setting yourself up for disappointment fam.

1 Like

I’m hoping I am wrong with the F2P stuff and there is some out there with decent characters even from the polls along with 2 standalone mode.

I just want to believe in Capcom even I know things are very unlikely with the situation.

Thank you very much!

Anyone’s interested in MK11? ._.

1 Like

SFV would have done significantly better if Capcom just committed one way or another to either the traditional model or a proper F2P game. They tried to reap the best of both and it backfired.

6 Likes

Capcom is showing G some April Fool’s love:

They made an actual shoot 'em up game where you play as G and face off against Shadaloo. While this is some fun and I can’t wait to try it out, it again makes my speculation cap light up. This again, feels like he’ll be important. He’s getting more and more focus. I really feel like he’ll be an important figure from now on whether or not SF5 is done.

5 Likes