The Ultra Inevitable Street Fighter V Story Thread

Fang is an interessing concept, he got some pretty different influences in one single char… I mean almost all SF chars come from multiple sources, but is surprising the variety of Fang’s ones

Just a theory, but some gay vibe of Fang may be intentional and a wink at One Piece Mr.2?

F.A.N.G. is shit.

1 Like

:man_facepalming: :clown_face:

1 Like

Looking back on the Alpha series, I always thought it was interesting how they had Nash encounter Rolento in both Alpha 2 (special boss fight) and Alpha 3 (right before Bison) despite the two having no real connection.

3 Likes

Weird. Garbage day isn’t until Monday so why was this opinion put out so early?

11 Likes

That is a good point. For a while, I kept wondering if they’d clash again. If Charlie survived SF5, I’d like a bit of rivalry to brew (of course, this is due to my old, Charlie’s looking for purpose and goes kinda Big Boss).

1 Like

That is executed terribly.

2 Likes

yes, he has potential from his inspiration and being a unique to be the first poison relative character.

despite that what made him click is because he has strong influence on shadaloo’s backstory.

Almost every time I hear someone bitch about FANG, it’s someone upset that we didn’t get more fan service, edgelords, or an “Awesome McCoolDude” shonen protagonist. The last thing Street Fighter needs is more of those things.

FANG is like the Adon to Bison’s Sagat, or the Starscream to his Megatron. He’s a lackey that can hold his own when needed, but mostly earns his place by being useful to the main villain. This is actually important because it’s people like FANG that make Shadowloo relevant. Before SFV, there was a real question as to how Shadowloo functions when the only person with any personal interest in the organization (Bison) “dies” every other game. FANG is the guy that keeps things moving when Bison isn’t around, and represents the mentality that keeps Shadowloo running: Bison is powerful as hell, better to stand with him than against him.

As a fighter, FANG also adds to the series by representing a completely different approach to fighting, based on cunning rather than power, speed, or enlightenment. The closest thing to this pre-SFV is Rolento, and even then the depth of Rolento’s battle cunning is using military equipment in a street fight. The classical example of this is the “drunken master” archetype, but FANG accomplishes a similar goal. Every odd, crazy movement is calculated to strike when and where the opponent least expects it. In true SF fashion, FANG personifies this with his extreme proportions, flamboyant mannerisms and distracting costume.

11 Likes

Nicely said dude!

2 Likes

I actually LOVE F.A.N.G. his goofy design, fighting and play style, and mannerisms make him stand out amongst the Shadaloo villains. But don’t let that oddball nature fool you, he’s still a dangerous, cunning, and pesty individual.

I think this video does a better job than I can explaining why FANG just works with the series.

6 Likes

Him being annoying is intended, which is okay his character being goofy is okay. I have mentioned this before and defend fang in the past even before that video came out.

Like I see Necali and Seth being intended to be un-love and should not be a character tthat players to attached into and be a fan. People didn’t realize that. That they are filler characters and bosses that i have been saying since Seth.

The goofiness is what people dislike mostly, since he has a major role people expect him to be something they are accustomed into like Sagat.

What I dislike is his in-game during fights where his kinda meh… his inspiration doesn’t reflects how he fights mostly in game other than the poison.

Like that video says he “fights like a clown” which is entire different from the appeal and inspiration which is kung fu movies. we could say this move is from this movie and that is from this but the overall in the game.

Another problem is that his one of the least useable characters.

His an okay average character to me, because I expect him to be like that other than the in-game fight which I dislike.

but in the end, as the game reach it’s final season. it boils down to what the majority sees, not in the things where we can find meaning and not in the things we can understand. It’s not the depth it’s what the final outcome on what the majority sees.

Relatively, yes. Execution was worse on lot of new characters, reinvention or even old characters, so compared to others, FANG is relatively ok as well.

I was thinking he was influenced by Bentham/Bon Clay/Kurei too! Especially in appearance! But Bentham has more morals, that’s for sure.

1 Like

This gives me even more reason to love Poison. So much cultural things from Japan are packed in her speech, AND she sounds so wise in some of the untranslated quotes. I swear, Poison has this kind, intelligent, almost philosophical bent that many translators miss, and I am tired of people just making her out to be this bad girl sex lady when she’s more than that.

3 Likes

TBH, I didn’t even think the character was a possible Arab name until I read your post.

But “Guihad” etc doesn’t sound convincingly Arabic or even any other Mediterranean languages like Italian. Maybe they just went for a “Mediterranean” sounding name so he could be South European or Middle Eastern. Maybe if someone here knows Greek or Turkish…

I know that the Western translators sometimes miss out on certain character quirks but Poison’s translations border on character assassination.

1 Like

Yeah, there are some funny common points

• “Mr.2” is the most obvious
  • Was an assassin and member of criminal org
  • Got very similar face, body build and also some of the poses
  • His greatest enemy was Magellan who as power had purple jelly looking poison :smiley:

Some other sure inspirations were

Harpist - Kung Fu Hustle (an assassin hired by a gang)
immagine

Zorg - Fifth Element (aside being the villain he was an inventor of advanced weapons and tech stuff), FANG’s story alt wink at him too
immagine

For fight style i think a possible one is this

Nothing that’s wrong with FANG has anything to do with his personality. He has a terrible design, that is actually based on cool designs.

The concept of “Take the harp assassins from Kung Fu Hustle and make them a poison fist user”, is awesome. They did a terrible job executing on that idea.

2 Likes

Welcome to my world. As a Zangief and Ingrid fan, I can testify how misunderstood they were in the West for all these years… Just to point out the two most blatant examples. Anyway, as a professional translator for 20 years, I also know very well the constraints a professional is often forced to work within, so I tend not to be so severe with my peers. I have all the time I want to do my fan translations for the Shoryuken forums, while any professional working in house for Capcom often doesn’t even have the chance to speak face to face with a developer to ask a simple question about a doubt, and more often than not has a deadline due to the day before. Their work has certainly improved since the Nineties and Noughties, when we saw the horrors of Cammy lover of Bison and the various win quotes of SFA2, with almost all the characters reduced to thugs who screamed and insulted each other and nothing more. I know that the Japanese language has many traps which often catch me by surprise as well. Many things you simply CAN’T express in English, nor any other language. A dialectal accent is not going to be the same in another language; the same goes for the cultural references. Here, I can add all the footnotes I want to explain all the subtle nuances I feel that could be lost; you can’t do that in a finished professional work, since it has to be fluid.
Still… Poison’s English quotes border on character assassination, as @TazyryLipo said. I’ll try to do a comparative translation of all her SFV win quotes.

Lol.
As I said, it can well be only my wishful thinking. It certainly isn’t Greek, however; nor Turkish - whose closest name is Cihat (read “jihat”), still coming from the Arabic Jihad. I thought about Egyptian Arabic since it’s the most well-known by the Japanese. Searching for ギハド Gihado on Google gives out articles about Egyptian-born “Gihads” in Japan… And a Jihad who was held in Guantanamo. Who’s not Egyptian (that would’ve justified the J perceived as G), still the Japanese press transcribed his name as Gihad. As for ムワジク muwajiku, it resembles so closely a mufā’il or mufa’'il pattern that I went there to search. If it’s not Arabic, it certainly is a language which received a huge Arabic influence… Or just something Capcom invented that accidentally resembled an active Arabic participle of the second and third form. So far I’ve discarded Turkish, Persian, Kurdish, Azeri, Urdu and Uyghur. As much as researching is exciting, it’s also time-consuming. Anyway, since this translation is going nowhere, keeping the name of the country Muwajik or Muwathiq doesn’t change anything.
(see, Capcom’s translators DON’T have all this time to debate about a single word. That’s why I can’t muster up the courage to criticise them)

2 Likes

Ken: “YEEEEEEEEEAH! I’m druuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuunk as fuck, I’m going to turn everyone into cucks!”

Ryu: “I’m about to end this mans whole career…”