The Ultra Inevitable Street Fighter V Story Thread

The fact that they haven’t done the obvious Capcom All Stars fighting game by now is just bizarre. There’s alot of things they could do with that one.

6 Likes

I would prefer them to do Marvel Superheroes 2 rather than Marvel Vs Capcom 5.

Capcom side is just boring. But I love the Marvel characters.

Meh, they could have a couple Capcom guest characters, like Netherealm does with the Injustice games.

I am back home after several months of traveling through Southeast Asia; this was the Thailand highlight:

@Midgardsorm: thank you for the crazy amount of insight and obscure stuff you always put together. I am now trying to read all the information I missed.

19 Likes

@Midgardsorm is hands down the MVP of the thread.

4 Likes

Congratulations on your opposite opinion!

Uh., okay…wow. I think you might be forgetting about a little thing called My SF6 Tag Teams List. I forgive you though.

Well, there will always be people angry at the fact they won’t be able to pick Zero, Dante or Strider.

There’s no Capcom All-Stars/Capcom Vs Capcom because I don’t think Capcom characters are enough of a hook to grant good sales.
The fact Capcom has stopped producing memorable IPs suitable for fighting games would only make things worse (see how ridiculous things went now that they had to include guys like Viewtiful Joe, Frank West or Phoenix Wright in a game featuring superheroes).
In the other hand, most of Capcom fighting game properties nowadays are so old that new generations don’t know who the characters are.

As for Marvel, it’s a much more popular brand. An Avengers Vs X-Men game would be great.

1 Like

Neither does Capcom. And you’re both fucking wrong. But at least you’re not leaving money on the table being wrong like Capcom is.

But yeah, no, Capcom should totally keep building monuments to compromise by trying to work with Disney on Marvel crap and then getting delisted after their license expires. It’s been working out GREAT for them lately.

5 Likes

If this was a decade ago, maybe I would’ve agreed with you but now, Capcom is far more prevalent and loved than it was back than. If you include SF, ResiEvil, DMC and Monster Hunter characters I can assure you people will flock to the stores to get the game.

Furthermore, the main attraction of the VS games are always the Capcom characters. Remember when MVCi was announced more people cared about X’s and Jedah’s inclusion than any Marvel character. Remember when MVC3 released and people were upset about the lack of Captain Commando, Jin etc.

Capcom just has to step up their standards for fighting games.

7 Likes

SRK Player: “Oh, a whack ass Bison. Let fuck this dude u- WHAT THE FUCK???”

Bison: “Hah! F.A.N.G., I command you to grab a mop for me. There will be guts on the walls and ceilings by the time I am done with this pest and I need you to clean it up.”

https://twitter.com/MrProblemX/status/1255139386754166785?s=20

1 Like

Capcom characters are the main attraction to the FGC and Capcom fans. Anyone other than a protagonist/antagonist of a major franchise active in the past 2 years doesn’t matter to the general gaming audience, at least not relative to someone like Wolverine, Iron Man, or Spider-Man. You could make a similar argument for more obscure Marvel characters, but in a crossover you get the best parts of 2 universes rather than a cast of secondary characters.

The Marvel IP is massive right now, far bigger than any fighting game or even Capcom themselves will ever be. There’s a reason MSH and CotA came before the VS series.

Capcom has a wide range of characters, many of which retain some measure of relevance, and many others which can easily be restored to relevance with the right nolstalgia-driven crossover appearance. How many KOF players previously knew about Athena and Kensou, or played Robo Army (Maxima’s inspiration)? How many Smash players knew, cared, or thought about Ice Climbers or Mr. Game & Watch or R.O.B.?

As for characters not being “suitable for fighting games”, that depends both on what kind of fighting game you are making and how far you are willing to alter characters to fit.

Characters like Athena, Kensou, Ralf, and Clark weren’t really suitable for fighting games before they appeared in KOF, but now they are KOF staples. Maxima is based on a cyborg from a futuristic beat’em-up. K9999/Nameless was all but legally Tetsuo from Akira. High damage weapons-based fighter Nakoruru just time/reality traveled into KOFXIV while teaming up with two pachinko franchise mascots. In the early games, SNK did a lot of “redesign” to make such characters fit their relatively grounded fighting game. In the middle years, KOF had become a bit less “grounded” and had already built its all-inclusive reputation, so weirder characters could be “inspiration” for legally new characters, while anyone could cameo as a striker. In the later years, **** it, time/reality travel is a perfectly valid excuse for anyone to show up.

With Smash Bros, you just don’t get bogged down in the details. If you want a story, they are toys, but Nintendo/HAL doesn’t let that get in the way. For example, other companies might have run with the “toy” theme and redesigned all the characters to look like action figure versions of the characters they were to portray. HAL just lets you be Luigi uppercutting Pikachu out of Hyrule, and no one cares that it doesn’t make “sense” for such a situation to occur. The engine was built to be fairly inclusive from the start, and characters can be brought into Smash both true to spirit and relatively true to form. Actual fighting game characters like Terry and Ryu are still recognizably their fighting game characters, but other characters don’t have to be overly distorted to fit a stricter fighting game model.

If Capcom went the early KOF route, aiming for heavily mainline Street Fighter design, then they’d have to remake characters similar to how SNK remade its earlier KOF entrants. If Capcom went middle or later KOF, then they’d have a bit more freedom. Further freedom would come if they went for a more “anything goes” engine/world, such as building based on their own various Versus games. If Capcom went the Nintendo route, they they could do whatever they wanted.

I’d argue that some of the issue with some of the Capcom characters in the MvC franchise wasn’t that the characters weren’t “suited” for fighting games, but rather in how Capcom adapted such characters to the game. The issue wasn’t that a character like Frank West was included, but that he was turned into a full-blown comedy character in the process. The issue isn’t that Jill Valentine is fighting beside Iron Man, but that Jill Valentine is pulling an oversized missile launcher out of nowhere and summoning Tyrant to attack for her. Bad Box Art Megaman in SFxT was a different kind of failed adaptation.

Capcom Fighting All-Stars was cancelled, preventing us from fully judging what it might have been, but it looked pretty restrained. Capcom Fighting Jam was released, but failed to find an audience. It was a bit more inclusive than Fighting All-Stars, but it still restricted itself to “made for (Capcom) fighting game” characters. I feel Fighting Jam failed in part due to its limited focus, that it could have found a larger audience if it had twice the roster and had a larger presence with non-fighting game character adaptations. Pocket Fighter had plenty of fun with itself, and succeeded.

4 Likes

Very few but those were different times. They were arcade games, which by the times were very popular, and fighting games were wildly popular, people was more eager to give them a chance.

KOF, nowadays, is a niche game, just like characters from Rival Schools or Darkstalkers are not very recognizable nowadays by Gen Z gamers.
As fighting games are no longer popular (or even produced), Capcom is forced to put in weird, non-fighter, characters, like Phoenix Wright, and everything becomes very Smash Bros.-like, like a clownfest.

As for Smash Bros., you have the ever-popular guys like Mario, Link, Pokémon, etc, that’s pretty much a powerful hook.

I liked that the first game in the Versus series was X-Men Vs Street Fighter, that made sense for the most part and was “credible”, since everyone was similarly “human/realistic”, same for MSH vs SF. Then in MvC was some guy like Mega Man but well, he was a robot.

MvC2 threw weird things into the mix with very anime-ish characters like the Servbots, Amingo, Ruby Heart or Sonson, which reminded me of “caricature” characters like Norimaro in the previous game. Then MvC3 with V.Joe, Arthur or Phoenix Wright, or guys who could never harm a superhero like Frank West… now it feels more like a clownfest.
Which I personally don’t like.

Viewtiful Joe is literally based off of Japanese tokusatsu superhero media. He’s the best fit for MvC in every way except his proportions.

4 Likes

Which is completely fine. As no part of comic book characters fighting video game characters was ever meant to be “serious” no matter what you told your 12-year-old self.

It was always a goofy thing they made because they had a bunch of sprites with compatible art styles.

2 Likes

Just saying it’s something I personally don’t like.

I think Capcom Fighting All-Stars (the cancelled 3D game) looked like a great idea. I just think there’s not a big enough audience for it anymore.

Same goes for Capcom Vs SNK 3 D:

Definitely this. I could never get over how after MVSF, the MVC games just lost it in terms of having a coherent tone or any respect for its characters. Some characters like Strider or Tron Bonne converted flawlessly into a fighting game.

Then there’s characters like Megaman who act OOC and hardly has any moves from his games coupled with an parody of Mazinger Z as one of his supers as opposed to the logical option of having one of his weapons or the Super Adaptor. Jill also has little inspiration from her games and I could go on more.

A CAS could actually be able to redeem and reinvent select characters. If anything it can even prop up interest, just look at Strider as an example. I think it would actually be popular enough, provided you add staple characters like Ryu, Dante etc.

I felt that within my body. :heart:

1 Like

Maybe because those things are mutually exclusive?

The tone of Capcom’s various franchises has always been wildly varied. Which means, if you’re going to put all those characters into one game, you can EITHER, have a coherent tone for the game, OR you can have respect for the characters.

You CAN’T do both. If you’re going to put Viewtiful Joe and Chris Redfield in the same game, you’re either going to have to let Joe be goofy and Chris be serious, OR you can have a coherent tone, by having one of those characters act out-of-character.

Personally, I prefer just having the characters be themselves, and let the game’s tone be all over the place. Because the characters are more important. I also derive a lot of enjoyment watching characters from wildly different universal tones try and interact with each other.

That said, I’d prefer if, artistically, they did the exact opposite. I prefer it when every character in the game is redesigned to fit a consistent art style the way they do it in Project X Zone, rather than have everyone try and emulate the style of their own game.

I realize that’s probably hypocritical, but it’s just what I like.

I think, between MHW, REmake 2+3, and DMC5, Capcom is probably at one of the high points of it’s popularity at the moment. And they should be capitalizing on that.

Previously people were complaining about Capcom’s version of Black Panther, particularly when a simple web or wiki search would have turned up plenty of information.

But thinking about it, Capcom was just as bad, or even worse, with its own IP.

Jill Valentine should be simple. She’s a cop who fights zombies. Give her some cop-like hand-to-hand skills, some brutal throws (reflecting her desperate escapes from zombies), some RE-style weapons specials and supers, maybe reference RE herbs with a healing move, and the like.

How did Capcom handle Jill for MvC2? Capcom gave her multiple moves where she summons various kinds of zombies to fight for her, the exact opposite of her character and role in her home game. That’s without even getting into the comedy issue such as the oversized M202-style rocket launcher. Or that she was giving a shieldless version of Captain America’s Charging the Stars shoulder tackle, complete with giant aura.

As you said, Megaman was given a poor translation as well. It feels like the character designer started with the ideas of moves that he wanted, and then tried to make Megaman fit the moves, rather than the reverse. Because when you think of classic Megaman, of course you think of Megaman 8 moves like Tornado Hold and his kick ball. You could as least somewhat justify the poor choices if MvC Megaman was based entirely on MM8 Megaman, but he wasn’t. He also has MM2 Leaf Shield as well as made up stuff like merging with his support characters into a giant robot form.

2 Likes

Definitely agree with you here.

The secret files for MVC1 kind of admit that they half-assed Megaman in regards to his conception as they admitted they had no idea how to even draw his stance and had lots of scrapped moves such as a diagonal mega buster and Rush/Beat having an attack. It’s tragic because the fangame Capcom Universe expanded on Megaman’s weapon switch mechanic by adding more weapons from MM1-MM8 to make him an interesting character without making him overpowered and it worked. He’s basically a mix of his Power Fighters and MM8 self now.

There’s also the fact that he’s OOC. His mannerisms and quotes (when translated) makes him act completely nothing like the canon Megaman.

Jin also has this problem where he went from his personality in Cyberbots to being a bizarre parody of Mecha protagonists.