The Ultra Inevitable Street Fighter V Story Thread

Yeah, but so is the SF dev team.

I think UDON did fine until it started getting into the SF3/SF4 era. Then it kinda turned into a mess. But then, SFs story kinda became a mess with SF3 as well, so really it’s just being true to the source material.

Everything UDON did with the SF1>SFA>SF2 era was fine.

I’ll deny it.

MK’s story mode has more realistic graphics and animation. But I enjoy ASF much more. It gets rid of Netherrealm’s stupid limitations of dividing the story into chapters by character(which severely limits the ability to tell the story), and never letting you play the villains in story mode. And MKs’s story modes, unless Johnny Cage(or, weirdly, Kung Lao), are on screen, are overly serious and melodramatic.

ASF is sillier, but much more fun, more fluid, lets you play ALL the characters…and those things matter more to me than MK looking better.

ASF is currently my favorite story mode in video games. And if SF6 stops, ya know, looking like shit, I’m really looking forward to them doing something similar in that game.

9 Likes

Well, not quite everything.
Their treatment of Zangief was (and still is) horrible.

2 Likes

But Bison didn’t even have an ending. Killing Charlie and Dorai was all the story there was for him. That’s his origin as a videogame character and from what his story grew. It’s not thanks to Ryu that we got that.

Bison did things. Capcom was unable to give Ryu a role in ASF, so they said fuck this, no story can be made between these two, they used other characters to carry the story against Bison and then they brought Ryu just to steal the kill.

2 Likes

Agree

While a few correction and updated by Capcom would have made it better. If recreated by Capcom.

That’s why I believe Capcom need a one time game that is set in alpha timeline to SF2 story along with the SF4 aftermath videos, as a compilation and set before SF4.

Than another game thay is set in a timeline like another leap year or forward SF3.

Because it was SF4 that made a better end point than ASF.

SF4 story is better than ASF. SF4 > ASF

Because in that timeline was the prime of Capcom’s SF, they can always do a story with decent references, characters and setting. All they need to do is trim a way filler characters, conflicts and events that has irrelevant to do to Shadaloo or Shadaloo Saga.

But adding new characters from SF3, SF4 and SF5 in the story in that setting.

ASF failure was another Alpha story repeated in a different timeline but not exactly it was. It tried to put everything that made no sense to be repeated in a very different timeline.

This is like discuss here more than a fifth time?

Like failure to highlight the relationship with Guile, Abel and Nash.

Bison being crappy and cringy speech against Ryu was trying to be like Seth in SF4 OVA. Seth did better. Seth interaction with Ryu was better.

Ryu finishing blow lack luster, SF4 aftermath SF vs Bison did better.

Guile watching Bison fight Ryu. They should have gone triple team like SF4 aftermath.

Just quit with Ryu x Bison thing it’s inappropriate, Bison just want a spare body thats it. It just better in Alpha.

Making Ryu a personal friendly rivalry to Bison is trash. Same thing as making Ryu a super hero saving the world. lol

I could have quote my past take on this about the whole ASF later.

But ill settle more for pointing it out the missed because this had been discussed to death.

• The whole disaster is from making Ryu and Bison again, or making their conflict personal and it’s irrelevant this time. It only made sense and importance in Alpha.

• Guile, Abel and Nash interaction

• Chun and Guile had nothing special with to do against final fight Bison.

• Nash was a wasted potential

• Thawk should had been there

1 Like

I agree with that, what i’m saying is that It felt unnecessary.
Cool (dat SF3 brofist), but redundant

I mean Ryu did just defeat Necalli and fucking Bison, i think was enough hint to guess that at that point he reached a different and higher point next to their previous sparring match

I thought Ken getting bitchslapped to the ground watching the sky with dumb smile thinking “omg Ryu is so much more awesome than me!”, has been a bit gratuitous (as Ryu fan LOL)

Is like they realized audience can’t get simple hints, so they feel the need to slap things in face

Look another example, people we’re talking me as if i was some sort of Urien hater saying SF3 gave good hints of Gill>Urien (i prefer Urien)
And now we got Gill beating Urien easily, letting him in a pool of piss and tears

Sad
They could just have left him like in ASF (he was well done there), playing the arrogant watcher with an aura of pride that barely hide the frustration of know he’s not powerful enough to match/stop his brother

SF3 has been TOO subtle in some ways (and likely was error DON’T complete SF3/Gill arc inside 3 games thinking they got “next SF” for that), but SFV sometimes just goes too “simple”
Like they took decisions that affected some chars image without give enough thought imho

Well, at the end when they TRULY started give different HPs in later games, they did exactly that… both in the Chun and in the Zangief sense, so i guess we can drop the idea it’s something “misogynous” and more a way to reflect the characters physical attributes (just like smaller characters were already faster/more agile)

True, still only 2 out of 12 (with the other being one of the 4 Kings) i guess it’s still good example of Capcom effort to make Chun’s agility someting great,even for SF standards, and able to compensate what she lacked in strenght/toughness

Tbh i think he used the word “strong” to imply specifically her not having a big heavy strong body able to take strikes well as male fighters, NOT in the sense she will lose to them.
Her speed/technique/skill/agility were her good points, surely not her “strong” body

That’s the way i read it
Like Zangief is surely more “strong” than Ryu

I know Akiman loves Chun, but while i respect his opinion tbh i don’t buy it
Bison surely shaped Chun’s motivations, but Bison has’nt been affected at all
For Bison she (her father) truly was just another insect he stomped under the foot, and that’s the whole dynamic going on between them
Bison is a monster in the sense he does’nt care who die under his foot
That’s what i got from what we know of him… Dorai’s death did’nt seem to have changed his path in any way

That’s a way to see It
Another is that these were the only things we known of him from other WWarriors

But as soon we got more characters like Cammy or T.Hawk became evident Chun & Guile were just two of the victims of his actions

Tbh while the sprite itself had that age graphic limitations, Sim back in SF2 era artworks had developed muscles specially in the shoulders area (what alpha Sprite later added more effectively)

UDON are on the opposite side of the spectrum. They’re biased AF towards Chun-Li and Cammy (especially Chun-Li). Putting Chun-Li as the MC that tells SAGAT (remember the rival to Ryu?) what to do in one of those Darkstalker crossovers. Ken being a jobber, Jedah and Gill (deities) showing interest in her of all people in the SF universe and so on. Having Darkstalker characters struggle to fight her when those characters would dust every SF character bar the top tiers like Akuma.

If UDON did the writing for SFV, then M.Bison would’ve jobbed to Chun-Li early in the story instead of establishing M.Bison as a powerful force.

Sounds like Shang Tsung as boss in MK1 to not being a boss (same as Reptile).

The irony is that all 3 fighters have their arms crossed on the award ceremony podium where Ryu is standing on the 1st place position (believe it’s the Super Turbo ending or something)

Geese’s counter throws in CVS2 reminds me of Kintaro’s counter throws from the air in MKII.

Also, here’s some high level Geese play in CVS2 (fastforward to the Geese matches):

Also, Kyo says “Psycho Crusher” during one of his supers!!!

I think it was only on the Darkstalkers comic? I don’t follow Udon, but I recall Chun Li doing very little in the main series. I understood that they used that DS vs SF miniseries to feature her for once. She even did very little in her own miniseries which mostly consisted of random Chinese characters fighting each other.

That’s not entirely a graphics limitation. As I said, the art style change with Alpha inflated all the male characters, sometimes to absurd degrees. (Female characters became more toned, but didn’t really see their bulk increased in the same manner. Chun-Li did get a little more arm mass though?) SF2 Ryu is a relatively realistic muscular fighter. SFA Ryu, who isn’t even that far from SF2 Ryu in build, is an exaggerated cartoon. SF2 Dhalsim is again relatively realistic; SFA Dhalsim is exaggerated in both directions. He gets the Alpha muscle mass boost and wider chest, but also gets an even smaller waist.

This does remind me that SF2 offered one more victory podium ending. Dhalsim’s ending has a photo of his victory podium. The second and third place spots are occupied by… identical bald white guys wearing red trunks? (Dhalsim’s ending switched to that weirdly out of place comic strip or cartoon-style art.) So that doesn’t really help on the whole power ranking debate.

Did you miss the last 2 decades and more of Bison literally staging one event after the other to get Ryu? From the moment Ryu beat Sagat, Bison was deadset on Ryu. Even when he realized that Ryu is more than just a possible host body (SFA3), that Ryu has power within him that could rival his own, he was 100% in.

The world warrior tournament, ASF, and one could argue Bison offing Seth in SF4, were all done in the name of the ultimate battle with Ryu. Everything else we learn has been either circumstantial, meaningless, or a tool to move towards this end point.

Chun-Li like her father before her, means nothing to Bison, and the idea of Bison is what truly repulses Chun-Li - She had her say in the end when she looked back and saw his fallen hat.

If you are an actual fan of Chun-Li, you would realize that she is over “killing Bison” because the path towards vengeance will only destroy her. She understood this in SF2/A3.

In SF4, Chun-Li was willing to sacrifice her life to get the data/evidence needed to bring down Shadaloo.

In SF5, Chun-Li chose to save a child over getting a punch in against Bison - The man who took everything.

In SF3, Chun-Li again risks her life to save kidnapped children and her adopted daughter, then she retires from being a police to open a martial arts school for children. A future army of fucking Chun-Lis!

This is how you defeat evil in the world long-term. You gotta keep your mind and heart on the bigger picture and not to be consumed by your own selfish desire to enact violence on those who hurt you. This is true strength, and this is what makes Chun-Li a fucking icon.

If you want “omg cool-but-senseless girl power moments” go watch Captain Marvel.

4 Likes

Kars/Pillar Men were

immagine

• ancient monster from mesoamerica area, modern days mexico

• woke up after millenary “sleep” during wich was on stone state, like a statue

• an Aztec prophecy predicted their return from the long sleep

• he devour all life forms, their biology allow them to absorb and digest humans

• he’s even more hungry than members of his species

• have the ability to manipolate his body structure on cellulare level and change shape

• he seek to evolve into the “ultimate life form”, wich will cause him to devour all Life forms of the planet

• his design have him with long dark hairs, mostly naked, with a vertical strip of cloth pending from his belt and shinguards

Tell me wich SF character remind you this description :smiley:

Agree with everything except that Necalli can’t think beyond his next meal.

2 Likes

That’s true, sadly Nec does’nt seem to have 10% of Kars brain

Yet instinct/hunger seems somehow to push him on the prophecy path… we have to guess that if he found Ryu alone and absorbed him, next will have been Sim

Yeah, SFA influenced a lot SF universe anatomy

I was’nt denying Alpha gave the cast lot of horse roids, just the notion that Sim in SF2 era was by concept a weak frail man with no muscle

Of course he was the less muscular of male cast, but still had some
immagine

immagine

Back in the days he showed even some brute strenght in throws

one ending even had him one-hand stopping a big tree trunk
immagine

Sim was’nt supposed to be “weak”, even if surely he did’nt relied on brute strenght, i agree

Cool detail in SFV ASF he had a bit of badass moment, i liked when teleported between Ryu and Nec, blocking a Necalli (on VT) strike while tanking a Ryu punch with the back… he stood in the middle like a fucking Boss :smiley:

Chun-Li like her father before her, means nothing to Bison, and the idea of Bison is what truly repulses Chun-Li - She had her say in the end when she looked back and saw his fallen hat.

Unfortunately that’s the true. For someone like M. Bison, Chun-Li’s father was just a bug he just happened to squash on a Tuesday. But I feel that Chun-li has been a thorn at his side for many games now that he has no choice but to acknowledge Chun-Li. Yes, he squashed her in her Alpha 1 ending. And no one knows how the SFII Torunament arc went down. But counting Alpha, SFII, SFIV (including the C. Viper OVA), and then SFV, Chun-Li somehow manages to keep buzzing around M. Bison’s face. Even though he’s on a whole power tier above her, I still think she deserved one last opportunity to avenge her fathers death directly.

And I may disagree with you about the scene where Chun-li looks at M. Bison’s hat before rushing out of the Shadaloo base. One could take it as some closure for the vengence arc. Seeing M. Bison’s crown without a head could be enough to convince Chun-Li to close that chapter in her life for good.

However, (and as a Bison zealot you are) another way people can take this is that Chun-li still senses Bison’s psycho power still emitting form his hat. When Bison discriminated, everything discriminated. (Even his head gear). But some how, his hat remains.
Knowing how incredibly difficult it is to kill M. Bison, I suspect Chun-Li feels the same way, and that they have won the battle for now. But M. Bison will surely rise again. And maybe, just maybe, we’ll get that proper closure.

If you are an actual fan of Chun-Li, you would realize that she is over “killing Bison” because the path towards vengeance will only destroy her. She understood this in SF2/A3.

While I do see your understanding of this, that doesn’t mean that I still didn’t want it to happen. I think for me, as a die-hard Chun-Li fan, it was all about closure. I wanted closure for her vengeance arc, so she can move on to her adoptive mother phase.

It’s been written in every character overview about Chun-Li: She is motivated to avenge her father’s death against M. Bison. So if Capcom were to bring that up every single game, then they owe us to bring proper closure to that story arc of hers.

In SF4, Chun-Li was willing to sacrifice her life to get the data/evidence needed to bring down Shadaloo.

In SF5, Chun-Li chose to save a child over getting a punch in against Bison - The man who took everything.

In SF3, Chun-Li again risks her life to save kidnapped children and her adopted daughter, then she retires from being a police to open a martial arts school for children. A future army of fucking Chun-Lis!

This is how you defeat evil in the world long-term. You gotta keep your mind and heart on the bigger picture and not to be consumed by your own selfish desire to enact violence on those who hurt you. This is true strength, and this is what makes Chun-Li a fucking icon.

Excellent points, though. Post SFII, it’s been more about taking down the Shadaloo organization, rather than be the one that deals the final blow on M. Bison’s fucking face.
Maybe Chun-li has realized that M. Bison might be an immortal god that can’t be destroyed, so she’ll go after the next best thing: His organization. Because a God without a foundation of support is nothing but a myth.
As evidenced by you, Chun-Li has taken an indirect approach to taking down Shadaloo. And while it does serve as proper closure to her revenge story arc, it feels that it just ends with a simple period instead of an explanation point. Apart from Guile and Nash, No one in the SF universe deserves to take on the main antagonist of the game than Chun-Li (take a spot on the bench, Ryu). And I think it all goes back to having the right closure for her.

• Would I want Chun-li to be the one to defeat M. Bison?
    – Yes! However, i thin k it would hurt the SF franchise more if they just wrote off such a beloved antagonist. So since capcom won’t have Bison killed off for good, then there is no sense in chun-li being the one to deliver the final blow unless it’s the final blow.
  • Would taking down Shadaloo serve as a worthy substitute?
    – Yes, but ASF butchered that story up, didn’t they?
  • Would it be safe to assume Chun-Li’s vengeance arc is concluded?
    –Hard to say. She eventually does, as evidenced in SFIII. But depending where Capctom wants to place SF6, there could be some time left for her to write that exclamation finish.

All an all, Chun-li’s story is great because she doesn’t spend her whole life chasing down M. Bison. She does become an adoptive mother and sows the seeds for a stronger future for her students. She went from a young-brash interpol agent, to the iconic strognest woman in the world, to mother/teacher in the lore of the series, which says a lot for character development. As convuluted as the SF lore can be, I feel that Chun-Li’s character development is something Capcom nailed.
And while I do wish to see Chun-Li finally get the respect in the Lore she deserves (thank god there is always Fan Work), there’s no doubt that she’s one of the better written characters of the series.
(How long you gonna be a traveling Hobo Ryu? Still for another 30 years?)

Also, Happy Belated Birthday Chun-Li.

1 Like

Still Gill.

Gill still looks and acts more like Kars than Necalli. Regardless of their background similarities.

1 Like

This is not about what Chun Li wants in order to feel fulfilled. She is not fighting Bison for fun, you know. It’s not about what she wants. This is about making a meaningful story where characters do something and feel something. What does it mean for Ryu to smack Bison? Another stepping stone after Sagat, Seth or Necalli? Is that what you want Bison to be? What does it mean for Bison to lose to Ryu? “Hehehe, hahahaha”? What did we get from all this? A waste, that’s what we got. A terrible waste since there’s only so many times you can have a decissive fight against a villain like Bison and we got nothing from it.

3 Likes

That only made sense in Alpha not in after SF4.

Ryu doing it again to Bison makes the whole setting stage and personal that shouldn’t be in the first place while the other fighters that had personal to Bison is just left standing and watching.

Why? Because Bison is a madman, the fight is not a former friends or rival trying to settle things. Bison is a global threat that everyone especially those that uphold the law and had duties like Guile, Chunli, Cammy Gief and etc wasn’t should be just there.

This is why the SF4 aftermath video of C.Viper done justice more than ASF to a Bison fight, because it made sense not personal.

Ryu is not exclusive to Bison. He got Sagat, Ken, Akuma, Sakura, Gouken and even future protoganist like Alex.

Bison later on is more Guile, Abel, Chun li, Cammy and etc.

Bison and Ryu isn’t the opposite pole to each other that every iteration of SF should be about their fights and conclusion.

Ryu is just another spare body to him, furthering more their relationship to some kind rivalry along with other Ryu rival and having something special to each other is terrible progression in the future stories. Bison should be with Guile, Chun and a lot of the others.

The whole thing with Guile just watching and waiting in the ASF was a missed in ASF. Its undeniable.

1 Like