The Ultra Inevitable Street Fighter V Story Thread

At this point of one of two (or three) things is going to happen.

Either they will announce the last character of the season (completing the select screen), announce SSF5 for December/Jan, or both.

1 Like

I think they’ll drop the remaining 5 chars of the season at once. Its the only way it could top their reveal from last year.

5 Likes

I think it is too late for that. The CPT will end a few months after. It’s too much of a surge of new information. A balance patch may be too late to follow that too.

It would be better from a marketing standpoint to release a bundle of characters with SSF5 if that is indeed the direction we are going. Repeat the AE success of S3 in S5, well after the noise of MK11 has died down.

There’s no way they’re just revealing one last character of the season. That would be embarassing and even I dont think Capcom is that clueless. Season 4 cant end with 2 chars, so unless they expand season 4 beyond 2019, they’ll have to finish it this year. Dataminers have found 2 placeholders and 3 possible more already, so there is definitely 5 chars in the works.

My computer had to be reset a few weeks ago, so I lost the offline copy I was holding onto. Thankfully, SRK didn’t actually close down a while back, so Mig’s post is still there from his link.

Anyhow, I strongly believe that Capcom is winding down their content cycle for SFV and S4 will only have 4 characters. 2 would just be really bad, but I don’t see them doing 6 again now that the AE hype has died down. Revealing 3 characters at EVO would be a nice balance of “fucking finally” and not shaking up the CPT too much. They can then have the final 2-4 characters come in 2020, which will keep the game going right up until the next major FG (possibly SF6) reveal at CapCup 2020.

That seems like the most common-sense course of action for the game. Maybe throw in the rumored last bit of core content (general story 2, new non-ranked mode, etc.) and you have a pretty solid final 2 years for the game.

3 Likes

A new story mode ain’t happening I dont believe that for one second. People barely cared for the first one, I think Capcom views it as a waste of resources.

What fighting games have 2 big story modes btw?

What fighting games last for than 2 years? Or 5? Or 7? The business model of SF5 allows it to have a second story mode. Having said that, I’ve never been on that boat. The plots that were seeded in SF5 are for the future.

I mean, that depends entirely on whether the individual costume is better than the old default. I want the best costume to just be the default. So if a new one is better, then that should be it.

Just going by the new defaults in SF5:

Better:
Bison
Cammy
Nash(Costume is an improvement, stitchface design is worse)
Vega
Birdie(Costume is an improvement, fat design is way, way worse)
Mika
Karin
Dhalsim
Balrog
Urien
Sakura
Cody(though I still wish his default was his Streetwise outfit)
Sagat

Worse:
Ibuki
Guile
Juri
Akuma
Kage

I think Alex and Ken might both have better costume designs…that are just coming off as worse because their model is bad.

2 Likes

They’ve never really considered the current year of CPT for character releases. The first season a character releases is mostly for casuals. They are rarely tournament viable New characters don’t become relevant in CPT until following season. They get out the mid to low tier range after the first major balance patch. If 2020 is the last year of support , dropping 5 characters in August would give them enough time to accumulate the data needed to release a balance patch before CPT 2020. If this is also the last season of characters, five coming this late would carry over to next year. People won’t start to truly figure out until then.

4 Likes

I gotta disagree with this one. Flower Power SF5 Akuma is the first time in my life where I genuinely loved that Akuma was in an SF game. 10/10 reinvention.

Also I am thinking Guile’s change is related to a promotion he received maybe.

1 Like

His lion’s mane is just…the worst.

I want him to wear his normal SF2/4 look, but with a bomber jacket on(even though most people consider a bomber jacket to be Alex’s thing).

2 Likes

The spread out character release model for SF5 is the inherent problem Capcom is having.

Change my mind.

1 Like

No. Why would I? I agree with you.

1 Like

I like many of SFV changes, specially on old cast

So i write only for those characters i will not keep standard SFV look:

• Alex: sf3 pls
  • Juri: sf4 pls
  • Ibuki: sf3 pls
  • Guile: redesign it
  • R.Mika: color #10
  • Laura: Battle alt

Aside these keep the rest as it is

1 Like

Impossible. Eventhubs is too busy with the real hot stuff.

3 Likes

That was the interesting part because there is still huge design space for future bosses and beyond that can be even better than NEST SAGA is in KOF without making complicated narrative like super duper uber secret organization that have eyes on everyone another and another then another.

That’s a nice choice simple but classy.

1 Like

I was thinking about this just the other day.

Why does Capcom (or any other FG dev, this is widespread) not try to sync up their character release and tournament cycles smoothly? It would make sense back before CPT when Capcom wasn’t directly scheduling which events were the majors, but if you actually have a defined tournament season, why not spend the off-season on introducing new content for the next season?

I think we’re going to end up going back to the expansion/update model for the genre as time goes on. Adding individual characters throughout the year just doesn’t mesh with competitive games that well.

1 Like

Dropping 5 completely new characters in the middle of a CPT season could upset the balance too much, and they will have 3 months for patching/hotfixing. Too much potential for a radical meta shift

1 Like

I dont think any pro players would pick any of those characters for the remainder of Capcup precisely cause its too late in the season, unless they came out broken - but so far none of them have been that way. However it gives them enough time to try them out and be ready for the s5 patch that would regulate any rough edges.

Tbh i love Ono keep insist August will satisfy the long wait

I think it’s clear even for them that 1 char will not satisfy anybody, so i guess it’s anything from 2 to more

Hopefully with some extra new feature aside characters

1 Like