The Ultra Inevitable Street Fighter V Story Thread

I like Bison’s SFV Alpha ending.

In Evil Ryu’s SF4 ending, Bison sent two Shadaloo men to capture Ryu, which does not go well for them. Always thought it was odd how he sent those dudes on a suicide mission instead of going to Ryu himself.

Bison’s quote to Evil Ryu: “To keep such power to yourself…No matter, your body is now mine.”

That would explain Bison’s “You’re useless suppressing the Satsui no Hado” quote from SFV. He wanted Ryu, but he really wanted Ryu at the height of his power.

4 Likes

So much this
While at It Bison/Rose past Is probably one of the most interessing missing parte of SF story

Also have Rose revealing Bison’s origins/story will have made sense

6 Likes

Way back in the original Plot Guide days, I remember laughing when I read that Bison killed his master because the training regimen was too tough. I said to myself that that totally sounds like something Bison would do.

I like Udon’s take on the Bison/Rose origins, but I also understand that not everyone is a fan.

3 Likes

What they did with It?

Bison is part of a gypsy-esque group of Soul Power users. He goes about his own way having discovered Psycho Power himself, returns and massacres them all, and in a final act of defiance exorcises the “good” from his soul against his master’s wishes. That good half finds home in Rose. Or something like that.

It’s a little too on the nose for me, and I would prefer his origin remains a mystery. Even the master-pupil relationship briefly touched on in Alpha 3 makes no sense, but I’ll take it over exorcisms of this kind anyday.

I do agree with you though that having Rose reveal Bison’s original is a good way of going about it, since I don’t think it is in his character to keep diaries. SF5 would’ve been a good opportunity to do this, since it fits the narrative to understand the evil which you are trying to defeat. But I guess Capcom are saving this for another day.

3 Likes

I’ve found this video and a collection with all the phrases uttered by Zangief AND Don Savage when V-Trigger II is active. Amazing how Don Savage’s Japanese VA, Mitsuru Ogata, is the same who voices Azam… and as Savage he sounds like a New Japan Pro Wrestling’s colour commentator. I translated only when there’s not a generic shout… Or it isn’t English already.

Zangief

V-Trigger II Activation ハラショー! Harashō!¹
V-Trigger II Activation (joystick down) マッスル!Muscle!

SPD
LP うおりゃあ!コサックマッスル! Uoryaah! Cossack Muscle!
MP プロ根!1番 Purokon! Ichiban! "Professional spirit! Number one!"²
SP 無ッ敵!ぬぉーりゃあ! Muttteki! Nuooryaah! “Innnnvincible! Nuooryaah!”
EX 行くぞー!筋力爆発ー! Iku zooo! Kinryoku bakuhatsuu! “Let’s gooo! Muscle explosioooon!”

SPD (comboed into)
LP フッ!ガッ!でーりゃ!ヨッシャアー! Hu! Gah! Deeryah! Yosshaa! (here only yosshaa has a proper meaning, roughly “gotcha”)
MP 入魂!うぉおおおー! Nyūkon! Uooooh!³
SP 根性だァ!ムゥアァーッスルーゥ! Konjō daaa! Muusscleee! “That’s my spirit! Muusscleee!”
EX 気合いだァ!ハァアーラッショー! Kiai daa! Haaarasshōō! “Fighting spiriiit! Harashō!”

Borscht Dynamite
LP ニィン!ザッ!セェーイ! Niin! Za! Seei!
MP 闘魂!ナンバーワーンヌ! Tōkon! Numbeer oone!⁴ “Fighting spirit! Numbeer oone!”
SP サイッキョー!マーッスル! Saikkyō! Muuusscle! “Stronnngest! Muuusscle!”
EX ムン!筋力マーックス! Mun! Kinryoku maaaax! “Mun! Muscle strength maaaax”

Don Savage

VT activation
反撃の狼煙が上がったァー! Hangeki no noroshi ga agattaaa! “It’s the sure sign of a counterattaaack!”
ついに出るかあの技がァー! Tsui ni deru ka, ano waza gaaa! “Will we finally see THE move?”
おぉーっとこのポーズはァー! Ootto, kono pōzu waaa! “Uh-oh, that pose means…!”
出ぇーるか人間サイクローン! Deeru ka, ningen saikuroon! “Is that the human cyclone?”
みなぎってきたァー! Minagitte kitaaa! “He’s had enough alreadyyy!”

When Zangief misses
危険ですよ非常に危険ですよー! Kiken desu yo, hijō ni kiken desu yoo! “That was dangerous, EXTREMELY dangerous!”
あぁーっとコレはァー! Aatto, kore waaa! “Aaah, what’s that!”
嵐の前の静けさかァー! Arashi no mae no shizukesa kaa! “The calm before the storm?”

SPD
どうなる!どうなるー! Dō naru! Dō naruu! “What’s happening! Whaaat’s happeniiing!”
悪夢の吸引力! Akumu no kyūinryoku! “This elicits nightmares!”
躍動する筋肉! Yakudō suru kinniku! “Muscles throbbing!”
掟破りのあの技だァー! Okite yaburi no ano waza daaa! “It’s that illegal move!”
ザンギエフの代名詞! Zangief no daimeishi! “That’s classic Zangief for you!”

Borscht Dynamite
行くのかァー! Iku no kaaa! “Is he going to do that?”
時代が動く! Jidai ga ugoku! “That’s history in motion!”
準備万端! Junbi bantan! “Everything’s ready!”

When SPD lands
致命傷ー! Chimeishō! “Fatal blow!”
決まったァー! Kimattaaa! “He did iiit!”
出ぇたー!赤きサイクロン! Detaa! Akaki saikuron! “Here it is! The Red Cyclone!”

¹ I think everyone by this point already knows that harashō is the Japanese rendition of Russian хорошо xorošo, “good, well, right”.
² Incidentally, “Ichiban!” is the word most associated with Hulk Hogan in Japan. He used it as a catchphrase during all his period in NJPW in the Eighties. Hogan’s most notorious FG incarnation, World Heroes’s Muscle Power, always shouted “NUMBAH WAN!”. That’s why.
³ 入魂 nyūkon can’t be properly translated into one single word. It means putting everything of oneself into something (literally, “inserting spirit”). So, “I’m going to give you my best!”, more or less.
⁴ 闘魂 tōkon “Fighting spirit” is the typical catchphrase of Antonio Inoki. It’s not by chance that, before becoming internationally famous for its WWE2K series, Yuke’s was known in Japan for the NJPW wrestling game series 闘魂列伝 Tōkon retsuden (usually written Toukon retsuden), “Fighting spirit biographies”.

@Lord_Vega
Some of these were already done, but to summarise…

https://discourse-cdn-aws1.com/shoryuken/original/3X/c/a/caf491ee2ed4e166f287c94aaad7f12fb143b789.jpeg

1:
鮮桔水 xiānjúshuǐ , “fresh tangerine juice”
汽水 qìshuǐ , “soda”
可口可乐 Kě​kǒu​kě​lè “Coca Cola”

2:
廈門肉食公司 Xiàmén ròushí gōngsī “Xiàmén meat company”. Amoi is simply the Japanese name of Xiàmén. It derives from the city’s Hokkien name, Ē-mûi. Even older English sources identify the city as Amoy.

3:
不唾地吐疾 bù tuò dì tǔjí “not spit ground phlegm sickness”, incorrect Chinese for 请勿随地吐痰 qǐng wù suídì tǔtán “Please do not spit everywhere”, the campaign against the Chinese habit of spitting on the ground.

4:
The image is too small to be sure, but the most likely is 氷茶 bīngchá , “iced tea”. I’ve seen some suggesting that could be 水菓 shuǐguǒ, “fruit”, but the Japanese description specifies “Ice vendor”, so we’re sure that ice was intended.

5:
An encircled 押 always means “pawn shop”. They’re so infamous that the Chinese government is actually seeking to crack down on them. I suppose they wanted to refer to the old Tung Tak pawn shop in Hong Kong, demolished four years ago after a long history. The sign has even the same colours!

6:
上海发廊 Shànghǎi fàláng “Shanghai hair salon”

17 Likes

The work you put into this place is just insane, in the best way. A “like” wasn’t enough, so sorry for spam, but no regrets!

6 Likes

^Put all that in your wiki Daemos…

2 Likes

@Midgardsorm that was HUGE, Bravo! :smiley:

Zangief is legendary

Shame VT2 does’nt trigger a second version of his CA, some EPIC shit could have been done… Let’s pray EVO give me CA2*

*Even if i fear in Gief case It will just be some anti-air one

1 Like

Bison past should remain a mostly a mystery and the relationship with Rose would be just a layer that would make him more interesting.

I think it’s more about Ryu’s use-fullness to Bison being Ryu under SNH influence rather than being the better version of Ryu. Because probably as we know that the Psycho Power is more on the negative side of energy and it doesn’t worked with the positive side of it.

Agree Capcom should already simply previous complicated stuff and make less complicated events later it can be easily understand regardless of which culture a person belong.

As for SF1 I’m one those that wanted it to make it not a tournament anymore same as what discussed here, because most of the possible match up and encounter was kinda confusing from the beginning, I even did a match before but I felt it’s trying push it since the true problem were about the rest of the characters never appeared, mentioned or return anyway and most of the cast in that tournament in canon were weak individuals not masters. Thus making the whole so called tournament meh and not legit as measurement of the worlds strongest, skillful and powerful.

And the only relevant event there was Ryu doing SNH-SRK finishing blow against Sagat.

While in SF2 the only important thing was Bison defeat.

That’s why the best SF tournament arc that should stay as the same is SF3. IMHO.

SF3 might fail on the narrative part of the whole setting that is ditching majority majority of alpha and sf2 characters in an attempt to start fresh and new. BUT SF3 was the better tournament arc SF regardless of handling individual motivations and conclusion in endings, I mean mostly not everything.

This is perspective coming from a guy that likes SF2, As a fan of SF2 and do like tournament vibe like games like world heroes, SF3 is better on how they handle the endings and character resolution unlike SF2 endings.

The thing is with SF2 and SF1 it doesn’t match the game narrative highlights in terms of settings, Since it’s more Alpha in relevance in information like character encounters and events. Bison doing a tournament thing is not really something interesting because of ALPHA events, So everything that is heavily about Bison should be more of a narrative flow like a SFAlpha rather than a tournament narrative.

Unlike Gill that has a vibe of mystery. Something like the first time you receive this.

or the more classic one.

And this guy can do it.

Or Fang after being hidden for some quite of time. KOF series are good always in this kind of vibe in the orochi saga.

Going back to SF1 I really like an old narrative that Ryu just went straight to Sagat by beating a lot of fighters that forced Sagat to fight him.

Sagat would be best as a previous World Warrior title holder that went against Eagle, Haggar, Geki, Gen, Go Hibiki and Lee, Which Ryu would never face because they were fought by Sagat in his early years after beating Go hibiki.

While the likes of Birdie, Mike and Joe were fought either Ryu or Ken during their quest and travel to know who earn the last title, So that Ryu to fight the person and claim the title to have some sort of recognition and achievement to catch up with Ken which was recent champion, because there was no other tournament at that point of time.

Eagle would be an interesting guy that can give them info and would lead them Thailand, While Retsu is in the beginning.

So this would be a lesson that Ryu, That he would learn from his youth because of Gouken’s defeat at the hands Akuma that would later reflects his future motivation and most of his game endings that recognition and rewards isn’t what makes him a better fighter and a person. Another character progression and development that would makes sense in his later to his different and more familiar incarnation.

1 Like

SF being a tournament has come and gone as a thing. I don’t even know what type of tournament its supposed to be at any point in time. For sure SF2 was a tournament, Alpha seems to be just random people fighting for w/e reason and 3S has a tournament happening but screw it if I know why.

CvS2 did a better job of telling you a tournament was happening than most SF games have at any point in time.

2 Likes

Im also a fan of world heroes for a tournament vibe arcade mode. No doubt it’s CVS2 along with replayable arcade mode with to be multiple secret bosses.

As of now SF2 was even questionable events because of the SF4 aftermath and there were no relevant information that mentioned an event that occur in that time in future games or what happened to it.

Even the thing that Urien quoted Chun li for destroying Shadaloo isn’t even now exclusive as a posible event in SF2 timeline.

The whole SF series can even exist more smoothly without the SF2 game being part of canon other than the sf4 aftermath.

Bison and Akuma never ever even talked about their encounter or reference each other in the later 2 succeeding games which are SF4 and SF5 probably that can be assumed as a “what if event” now.

Bison will possess Gill and become able to do an ice and fire psycho crusher.

I’m more interested that G would be the later promoter of a tournament or the likes of a joint collaboration of Dudley, Ken and Karin but doesn’t made them to be participants rather than being selectable characters, It’s remembering the Garcia Foundation in CVS2.

G can just like your regular tournament guy organizer like to arrange something because to test the strength of an individual. For just filer moment that have nothing related to evil and good, but this time it’s more about the colorful characters participants without the means of revenge, power or justice.

Like Mika, Ibuki, Alex, Rashid, Menat or the others from SF3 and SF4 that were just there for a beating. Like Rufus, Elena, Sakura, Blanka, Karin, Laura, Hugo, Yun, Yang, Birdie.

That’s tons of characters already right for a settings that is fresh and vibrant but still interesting because they are familiar.

So this time the standard anti-shadaloo sf2 team or any related to shadaloo and illuminati is not part of the tournament but can be fought and still selectable because some of the participants have encountered at them in some point either in flashback or present. So there is still Ryu, Chun li, Zangief and etc.

Both are already have unique archetype of evil and villain roles that makes them interesting to stay separately. IMHO.

1 Like

I could see G doing another official Street Fighter tournament a-la Antonov from The King of Fighters XIV - literally just a competition for shit and giggles and testing his own strength, as well as a publicity stunt for himself since he considers himself a leader of the world or whatever

5 Likes

This could be my Dream SF: more actual fighters/martial artists from every corner of the world on theyr own, to test theyr skill/chase glory/rep theyr style

Still best formula, as It allow big variety and heavy based culturale/martial arts designs

What is the meaning of these?

7 Likes

A comic book retelling of ASF? And Bison’s skin is purple…

This

Is

Glorious!

2 Likes

Zombie Bison… Noo…

That’s been done before

I would be okay if the purple had to do something with the being an astral projection or a psycho power manifestation.

A aftermath and directors cut would be interesting.

I know this isn’t really a constructive post and hate to be another negative person online but damn are those some awful (or at the very least ill suited) pictures for Street Fighter. Embarrassing.