The Ultimate Tron Bonne Matchup and Match Videos Thread

What can Tron do against Vergil? He can pretty much control the horizontal space a halfscreen in front of him and most normals AA Tron’s approach, and he can stuff airdashes with that j.S slam thing. Fought a Vergil/Wesker/Strider and just herped my derp.

Well one thing you gotta remember is that if Vergil whiffs a normal outside of DT, hes stuck in recovery for a damn long time and he can only Hyper Cancel his normals. Bait out and punish whiffed normals with Drills and go into a full combo. His teleports are also pretty slow so if he doesnt cover it properly you can just grab him. Zoning him out is not a good option since he can hit you with Judgement Slash at full screen while your projectiles wont hit him, either that or he will teleport behind you. His sword normals also eat projectiles (kinda like Tron) but remember he cant cancel these outside of DT. Also watch your assists because any random normal Vergil throws out can easily stuff you and your assist.

When blocking against him, he will usually go for lows since his jumping attacks all have poor vertical range in DT he will probably try air dash + H occasionally but this whiffs at close range. His Helm Breaker (down H) is NOT an overhead so feel free to block that however you wish, its also safe on block so your only choice is to Advance Guard him out. If a Vergil sees you under him, he will probably spam the Helm Breaker until you decide to AG. His dive kick attack (j.S) is NOT and overhead either and is also easily punishable. Vergil is very relient on teleport crossups and mixups so learn to block them. He can teleport behind, above (in front), and in front of you while on the ground or from his various specials and normals.

Thanks, I feel like I know how to defend against Vergil for the most part but I wasn’t sure of how to open him up. I could just sit and block those berserker slashes, teleports, etc but trying to punish on whiff or advance guard I didn’t know what move to use… Drill sounds like a good idea if anything and I guess I’ll know now not to challenge him if he’s jumping over me.

Hmmm I think you can at least punish with Gustaff Fire if hes above you and youre expecting it. You should also know that he has very little options in the air aside from spamming 2H and j.S.

Surprisingly, a pre-emptive st.H is extremely effective against Vergil’s standard teleport mixup. st.H will eat most assist projectiles they’re using, and will hit Vergil no matter which side he teleports to. Hitconfirm into launcher or drill. Works the same for Rapid Slash.

This is pretty great stuff. I know I learned a thing or two from you guys. I run Tron on point with X-23 (Ankle Slice OTG assist) and Hawkeye (Triple Arrow assist) and I don’t have too many problems with most of the brutal matchups…except Logan. Glad to see I’m not alone.

Oops how did I let this comment slip.

Tron has several tools to try to combat zoning in General. Her s.H and j.H nullify projectiles and so does Gustaff Fire and Bandit Boulder. You can use these attacks to destroy projectiles and cancel into a drill to close space and punish them if they are still in recovery. For example if a Magneto tries to use distruptor you can use s.H to absorb the hit and cancel into drill to punish him. You can also try throwing out a Lunch Rush to destroy projectiles since it has 1 High Durality Point which has priority over and low and medium priority projectiles.

If youre really getting lockdown’d just remember that Tron has 1,200,000 HP, she can take chip and still have life to spare. Dont take any major risks to get in and inch your way in closely little by little. It only takes one hit for you to kill them, work towards getting that one hit.

Hawkeye in Particular:

Well Hawkeye covers space really well. In fact hes like Arthur with 10x better zoning (thanks Capcom >_>). Dashing in from full range is always dangerous since he can easily stuff you with arrows or even worse; Gimlet. Try to work your way in through jump ins and avoid getting knicked by too many arrows. You can try to neutralize his arrows with her projectile negate tools and drill in but you’ll usually get hit out by Gimlet if has meter (I think you can get by this with Tron’s small invincibility on her hypers which may be enough to avoid a Gimlet if you input after his Hyper Flash.). Chances are youll get stuffed by his arrows on your startup anyway. If youre at mid range and you try dash in on him he might try to jump and press H which will anti air you if you dont space your attack currently so watch out.

If he tries to go in on you remember that his normals are super unsafe on block so you can easily punish with whatever you like. Also Gimlet is punishable at close range so exploit that if he whiffs. Speaking of which Hawkeye players love to throw out Gimlets randomly. Try to bait them out with empty jumps and drain his meter. Itll make it easier for you to dash when you know that there isnt an instant punish waiting for you. Also if you get Poisoned, DONT PANIC, chances are the more you try to hit him to get out of the poison the more you expose yourself to getting hit by more arrows and taking MORE damage.

I feel like the only way to beat Wolverine is to get really lucky. Since Wolverine’s moveset is much faster than Tron’s, you have to take to air to avoid being outprioritized and to avoid the left-right mixup. But once you’re in the air, he can still air throw you out of jC and jS, and if he throws out moves like Berserker Slash, the hitbox will still hit Tron out of her air normals as she comes down. The only times I’ve been able to get a clean hit are when Wolverine makes a mistake, or when I throw out a jS that happens to beat a dive kick (when it doesn’t trade). Sometimes if you drill before he uses Berserker Slash you can beat it, but throwing out random drills is pretty unsafe. It’s difficult to play patiently as well, since his left/right mixup will eventually get you. Anyone have suggestions for this matchup? What assists would work well with Tron to make this an easier matchup?

I use Tron (boulder)/Nemesis (closeline rocket) /Dorm(darkhole). I am currently a 5th lord. At the start of the match I go for a jM ->jS. If it hit I relaunch with S and take them to the corner where I get a 560,000+ combo with my Nemesis assist and build a chunk of meter. If it doesn’t connect I use nemesis closeline rocket assist to keep them in blocking and follow up with another jS. the block stun from both moves keeps them from punishing or moving forward. You can time your jS so that it hits before nemesis does the closeline and follow up with another jS after nemesis shoots the rocket so nemesis doesn’t get punished. If they try to hit nemesis, you will usually catch them with your jS then go into a combo. Also I find that nemesis closeline rocket does a good job of controlling space while you throw boulders or shoot the pistol from full screen (be mindful of full screen supers).

I find using Dorm’s darkhole assist while jumping forward or back to keep wolverine, wesker, nova… In the corner to resume Appling pressure with jS and Nemesis Closeline rocket assist. Darkhole is also good for catching akuma’s tatsu assist and even wolverine at the same time… Just be ready to jS them when they get caught (I have had many happy birthdays with this). Just remember do to use darkhole before or late into Akuma’s tatsu assist. If it is called at the beginning of his tatsu assist, the darkhole will be nullified.

Also be ready to jump dash jS if Nemesis closeline rocket hit before you do to capitalize on the moment. I can say that darkhole+ closeline rocket+ dash jS+ a couple of jH = pressure galore. But you must apply the pressure! One rule I keep in mind is to never occupy the same same as your assist. I stay staggered and keep Tron moving to make them nervous. Also use the air drill to cross them up while nemesis does his thing every now and then. They sometimes forget nemesis hits twice and get hammered by the rocket.

And don’t call assist if Spencer is standing there with meter. Stare him down, push block and go for the air throw. Super jumping then dashing back and finally using a heavy air drill is a great way to kill time. Sprinkle so a super jump h or two to catch them off guard. Hope this helps. I think works for me against a lot of people.

Try using the enter key every now and then.

Tron vs. any rushdown character is pretty much the same - stay mobile, control the space in front of you. Avoid situations where you’re forced to block.
Tips:

• Servbot launcher and beacon bomb is surprisingly effective against Wolverine in particular, as long as you only use them in a safe range. If he’s quarter screen or closer, don’t use them, or you’ll get punished.
  • Jump back j.S will work if you’re sniffing out a long-range berserker slash.
  • Jump back j.M, j.S works well against dive-kick happy ones.
  • If he superjumps, throw out a Beacon Bomb - H, and then get out of the way. Hitconfirm with a sj.S if you can, but if not, don’t worry about it.

I wouldn’t be using any drills at all in this matchup - Wolverine is short enough to get under or outright beat TK drills, and obviously, ground drills are extremely unsafe against him.

I know I’m a little late, and this is just theory fighting, but wouldn’t a Crossover Counter with Gustaff Fire be pretty effective against Vergil? If he’s trying a blockstring, you can basically force him to whiff a normal and kill him in one combo off of fire unless he goes DT in time or X-Factors.

I know that’s not REALLY a matchup point per se, but I figured I’d throw that out there.

My matches are from 1:50:00 onward.

You live in Toronto? It’s so good to have a fellow Tron player near by! Well…I’m not in Toronto anymore, I’m in Brampton, but it’s close enough lol.

Hey, great job! You handle projectile spam pretty well, you know when to use her projectiles safely, and your team has cool tech. I gotta learn that corner relaunch and those sick lockdown into command throw setups. Keep it up.

Im actually in Sauga which is even closer to Brampton lol.

Really? That’s cool. Lol. I’m pretty sure the number of good Tron players in North America is already relatively low, so having one in the region of Peel is dope. I still have ways to go after watching your matches.

He starts playing better and not dropping every combo later around game 7
[media=youtube]hor2CDfbBcg[/media]
Cross-posting me playing Tron/Dante/Sent vs Zero/Doom/Sent

SOOOO tempted to switch Vergil for Dante… =/ jam session traps with bonne mixer/level 3 and chain saw pressure are a given.

I definitely think the switch from Vergil to Dante is worth it. Jam Session is just so much more useful then Rapid Slash.

Hey Rikir, nice work at WinterBrawl:
(1:11 onwards)

Didn’t know she could still relaunch midscreen.o_O