The Ultimate Tron Bonne Matchup and Match Videos Thread

Welcome everyone to the Tron Bonne Matchup Thread. Discuss matchups against other characters here. All characters are listed in Alphabetical order for easy organization. This thread is also open for match footages from tournaments/casuals/etc. Everyone please work to help contribute! :smiley:

By the way anyone have a better name for this thread? I just couldnt think of anything good atm.

As a general note, the best way for Tron (or any other character really) to win any matchup is to get a hit, and convert that into a kill. Every hit with her is precious (simply because of how hard it is to just even land a hit sometimes) and can literally be the difference between a win or a loss. Always make sure that Tron has the offensive momentum when shes going in, you want to keep your opponent under pressure of incoming attacks. Also make sure that opponents never get any momentum on you, Tron can only block for so long before her hitbox makes her fall prey to mixups.

Akuma

Spoiler

Akuma is a fairly straight forward character like most Shotos. One thing you definitely need to keep in mind during this match up is that Akuma’s beam hyper can punish you very easily. An Akuma with Meter is always a threat. At full to mid screen distance any whiffed move or air dash is essentially a free punish for Akuma. If youre advancing toward Akuma always go in by wavedashing on the ground, and if youre in the air, make sure that you’re always above him at a safe height (usually super jump height). Once you get in close enough you can start applying pressure with Tron relatively safely. Just watch out for the occasional anti air punish with his DP Hyper, or hell even just a regular DP.

If an Akuma tries to zone you out with fireballs never fight back with your own projectiles if he has meter. If he doesnt have meter, use Tron’s boulders to destroy his Fireballs and use the Lunch Rush hyper to destroy any of his projectiles without any questions asked. If an Akuma tries to Demon Flip into Fireball (or just jump fireball) you can easily hit him out of the air with Gustaff Fire (and destroy the fireball at the same time) if youre close enough into a full combo.

Ammy

Spoiler

A somewhat difficult matchup for Tron. Most of Tron’s aerial attacks wont hit Ammy due to her small hitbox. J.S is your best option in most cases. If you have a projectile or beam assist you can call it before landing the J.S to save the ground bounce for later.

Advancing toward Ammy can be difficult. She has a variety of zoning options using Cold Star or her long range whip attacks. She also has a fast full screen hyper which can be used to punish your air dash or any whiffed moves so watch out. Take your time and be patient, Tron has a lot of health so she can take quite a bit of chip. Make quick but steady advances until youre close enough to apply pressure. Make sure you watch out for Ammy’s Physical and Projectile counters as well, a predictable offense on your part can lead to you getting countered easily. Mix it up by throwing high/low attacks every once in a while to keep Ammy guessing (her counter is either high/mid or mid/low and wont counter both areas). Also spruce things up by throwing a boulder to catch Ammy off guard every once in awhile (Note: The Boulder pick up part is a physical attack which can be countered, while the boulder itself is a projectile which can be reflected as well).

If an Ammy comes toward you you can zone her out using Boulders (Boulders can get predictable so throw out a Drill if she tries to projectile counter) if shes on the ground and Gustaff Fire and Servbot Launcher if shes in the air. If you see her Air Dash towards you its basically her telling you that she wants to get hit. Going air to air with Tron’s J.M is always good at the right distance.

Arthur

Spoiler

Ah my favourite Knight out to save his Princess. Arthur is your bare bones keepaway character with a huge arsenal of tools to keep you at bay. He can be very difficult for Tron especially because of his small hitbox which Tron’s J.S is only good for. Like Ammy you can call a beam or projectile assist to negate the ground bounce and save it for later.

Advancing on an Arthur can be extremely frustrating. Take your time and look for holes in his game. One of Arthur’s many weaknesses is that he cant control the space above and behind him, unfortunately Tron can’t take advantage of that. Instead we have to proceed where Arthur has the most control; the front. Arthur has a lot of control over Tron’s jumping air dash space and ground wavedash space. He can easily keep Tron locked down with projectiles due to Gustaff’s fat hitbox. The best way to approach Arthur is by superjumping in. This forces him to have to superjump as well to meet you with projectiles in the air. Mixup your movements and move by both ground and superjump height so that Arthur has to pick a zone to cover, and if he makes a mistake, you have to rush in as fast as possible. Once you get close, be VERY careful. Arthur has a variety of defensive options as well. One of his new buffs was added invincibility to Heavenly Slash which can easily hit Tron as a reversal. Also watch out for his s.M which has autoguard for mid/high attacks on its active frames and his Shield Counter which can stagger you if you hit it mid/low. And of course, Arthur’s lvl 3 is completely invincible and nearly instant so be careful when you try to get in. Do your best to get a hit and make sure you KILL him.

If Arthur enters Gold Armor this matchup becomes nearly impossible, his Gold Arrows will track and hit Tron wont be able to get away easily because of her hitbox. All his projectiles will become buffed as well making them stronger and more durable. Wait for his armor to break and wavedash as fast as possible and OTG him with 2H into a combo (Arthur’s armor break throws him in a hard knockdown).

Some Arthur players may switch to an offensive Rushdown style. His J.S is basically a fast tri dash now which he can easily use to instant overhead you. If he tries to get close anti airing him with Gustaff Fire is probably your best bet.

C. Viper

Spoiler

C.Viper is a very dangerous character with a variety of mixups. Dealing with her can be very difficult.

Work towards getting a hit on her and killing her fast. When advancing on C.Viper she can do a pretty decent job at keeping you out with rapid TK Seismos. This will only serve as a temporary barrier for to deal with since there is quite a bit of space between the range she can cover. Work your way around these and super jump over them and air dash your way in. Keep pressure once you get close and get a hit on her for a kill. Her hypers have quite a few frames of invincibility so make sure you dont get hit by these. Also her Focus Attack can absorb all your hits, if she tries this cancel into Bonne Mixer or just go for a regular throw.

A C.Viper coming towards you can be very scary. If Viper tries to wavedash in try hitting her with Boulders or Bonne Strikes. You can of course try dashing in yourself and attacking with your own normals. You can stop most air dash attempts with Gustaff Fire or Servbots.

Whatever happens, always make sure that she doesnt lock you down for mixups. A couple things you should note is that Burn Kick is an Overhead and that EX Thunder Punch nullies all projectiles if youre trying to zone her out.

Chris

Spoiler

Mr.Redfield is primarily a keepaway character with strong projectiles. Your goal while fighting Chris is likely to get in since Chris players generally won’t come to you. Take your time to learn his zoning patterns/habits and make your way in. While on the ground Chris is able to shoot his guns forward which you have to jump over to avoid. While he is in the air he can shoot his guns at a downward angle toward the ground in a diagonal from where he is. Its important to remember that Chris has no horizontal control of the space in front and above him while in the air. Make note of this while advancing toward him. Chris is able to throw several grenades that will produce a flame carpet like effect. AVOID landing into these grenades since they will lock you down for a long time while Chris is able to either get in for a mixup or continue his keepaway game. Tron should not make many attempts to fight back with her own keepaway tools since she can easily get overwhelmed. If youre going to throw a Beacon Bomb out make sure you pick a good time. Tron’s Bandit Boulder and Gustaff’s arms will nullify some of Chris’ projectiles so you can use this to help close spance by canceling them into a drill. Adding an assist to this makes this tactic even better. From mid-screen distance watch out for Flamethrowers as anti airs since they will catch Tron if youre trying to air dash in. Watch out for Magnum shots since they can easily hit Tron and send her back to where she started.

Chun-Li

Spoiler

Ah the leading lady of Fighting Games is primarily a rushdown type of character. She will likely be trying to open you up with airdashes + normals. At superjump height her air dashes are easily punishable with either Gustaff Fire or Servbot Launcher. From close up theyre very difficult to punish for Tron so just get ready to block high and advance guard her out of your space. Chun-Li’s lightning legs are very annoying for Tron since she always seems to get hit by them. If you see a Chun player mash lighting legs use Beacon Bomb to stop them. One of Chun’s new additions is her EX Spinning Bird Kick which has some invincibility on it. If youre trying to get in on her make sure you dont get hit by this.

Cpt. America

Spoiler

An annoying matchup for Tron. Cap will most likely be trying to fish for hits with Shield Slash. Cap players generally like to jump back and throw their shield to about mid screen distance. He can throw it in a diagonal up line, a straight line, and a diagonal down line. While on the ground Cap can throw his shield forward in a diagonal up which can anti air. Tron’s big hitbox makes it easy for her to get hit by Shield Slashes which is something you want to avoid. A single Shield Slash can lead into a full combo by Cap. The best way to tackle this matchup is to try to bait out the shield and come at him at the space that he isnt covering with the shield. If you hit Cap succesfully the shield wont hurt you on the way back, if he blocks the hit or you miss, the shield will hit you on the way back. Your safest option would probably be too throw him. Take your time and dont rush in unless youre sure that youre going to hit Cap, otherwise you can easily lose most of Tron’s life.

Dante

Spoiler

Deadpool

Spoiler

Dormammu

Spoiler

Dr. Doom

[details=Spoiler] “Against Doom you basically don’t want to challenge him from his foot dive angles, especially if you’re Tron. His zoning can be a problem too. If he’s reckless, try using anti air f.M or antiprojectile f.M xx drill to get close?”

-Branespload

“Depends on what Doom’s doing. If he’s Zoning, LOL, if he’s rushing with Footdives like the majority of the online community, Jump back jM into either Drill or jS, maim/kill him.”

-Dazed[/details]

Dr. Strange

Spoiler

Felicia

Spoiler

Firebrand

Spoiler

Frank West

Spoiler

Ghost Rider

Spoiler

Haggar

Spoiler

Hawkeye

Spoiler

Hsien-ko

Spoiler

Hulk

Spoiler

Iron Fist

Spoiler

Iron man

Spoiler

Jill

Spoiler

Magneto

Spoiler

Modok

Spoiler

Morrigan

Spoiler

Nemesis

Spoiler

Nova

Spoiler

Phoenix

Spoiler

Phoenix Wright

Spoiler

Rocket Raccoon

Spoiler

Ryu

Spoiler

Sentinal

Spoiler

She-Hulk

Spoiler

Shuma-Gorath

Spoiler

Skrull

Spoiler

Spencer

Spoiler

Spiderman

Spoiler

Storm

Spoiler

Strider

Spoiler

Taskmaster

Spoiler

Thor

Spoiler

Trish

Spoiler

Tron

Spoiler

V.Joe

Spoiler

Vergil

Spoiler

"Well one thing you gotta remember is that if Vergil whiffs a normal outside of DT, hes stuck in recovery for a damn long time and he can only Hyper Cancel his normals. Bait out and punish whiffed normals with Drills and go into a full combo. His teleports are also pretty slow so if he doesnt cover it properly you can just grab him. Zoning him out is not a good option since he can hit you with Judgement Slash at full screen while your projectiles wont hit him, either that or he will teleport behind you. His sword normals also eat projectiles (kinda like Tron) but remember he cant cancel these outside of DT. Also watch your assists because any random normal Vergil throws out can easily stuff you and your assist.

When blocking against him, he will usually go for lows since his jumping attacks all have poor vertical range in DT he will probably try air dash + H occasionally but this whiffs at close range. His Helm Breaker (down H) is NOT an overhead so feel free to block that however you wish, its also safe on block so your only choice is to Advance Guard him out. If a Vergil sees you under him, he will probably spam the Helm Breaker until you decide to AG. His dive kick attack (j.S) is NOT and overhead either and is also easily punishable. Vergil is very relient on teleport crossups and mixups so learn to block them. He can teleport behind, above (in front), and in front of you while on the ground or from his various specials and normals."

• Rikir [/details]

Wesker

Spoiler

Wolvie

[details=Spoiler]I use Tron (boulder)/Nemesis (closeline rocket) /Dorm(darkhole). I am currently a 5th lord. At the start of the match I go for a jM ->jS. If it hit I relaunch with S and take them to the corner where I get a 560,000+ combo with my Nemesis assist and build a chunk of meter. If it doesn’t connect I use nemesis closeline rocket assist to keep them in blocking and follow up with another jS. the block stun from both moves keeps them from punishing or moving forward. You can time your jS so that it hits before nemesis does the closeline and follow up with another jS after nemesis shoots the rocket so nemesis doesn’t get punished. If they try to hit nemesis, you will usually catch them with your jS then go into a combo. Also I find that nemesis closeline rocket does a good job of controlling space while you throw boulders or shoot the pistol from full screen (be mindful of full screen supers). I find using Dorm’s darkhole assist while jumping forward or back to keep wolverine, wesker, nova… In the corner to resume Appling pressure with jS and Nemesis Closeline rocket assist. Darkhole is also good for catching akuma’s tatsu assist and even wolverine at the same time… Just be ready to jS them when they get caught (I have had many happy birthdays with this). Just remember do to use darkhole before or late into Akuma’s tatsu assist. If it is called at the beginning of his tatsu assist, the darkhole will be nullified. Also be ready to jump dash jS if Nemesis closeline rocket hit before you do to capitalize on the moment. I can say that darkhole+ closeline rocket+ dash jS+ a couple of jH = pressure galore. But you must apply the pressure! One rule I keep in mind is to never occupy the same same as your assist. I stay staggered and keep Tron moving to make them nervous. Also use the air drill to cross them up while nemesis does his thing every now and then. They sometimes forget nemesis hits twice and get hammered by the rocket. And don’t call assist if Spencer is standing there with meter. Stare him down, push block and go for the air throw. Super jumping then dashing back and finally using a heavy air drill is a great way to kill time. Sprinkle so a super jump h or two to catch them off guard. Hope this helps. I think works for me against a lot of people.
-RunHopSkipJump

X-23

Spoiler

Zero

Spoiler

Tron vs General Archetypes:

Tron vs Rushdown

Spoiler

Tron vs Keepaway

Spoiler

RESERVED

I have some pretty good matchup footage of myself here:

[media=youtube]pcL5DhDdxWs[/media]

[media=youtube]1qv3OtH47Vo[/media]

Some impressive Japanese Tron/Thor/Shulk play at 10:14. The Tron is pretty much relentless in getting the opponent to the corner and covers all his approaches with good assists… remains pretty mobile horizontally. Once the opponent is in the corner they’re practically toast, but once they escape (see Magneto plink fly) she’s pretty much done.

I remember that Thor/Tron/Shulk guy from Vanilla. He even does a throwback to the DHC glitch with Thor in that video. LOL.

lol that team has pretty fun looking tech.

how can I be as gdlk as you Rikir god damn that was sexy stuff

Allright guys why dont we start discussing some matchups. Anyone in particular that you guys struggle against?

Wolvy is a bit of an annoyance. Hes fast and is always in your face. Tron doesnt have any time to throw anything out safely.

Against characters like Wolverine and Jill who have fast normals and horizontal mobility/mixups I try to just stay canceling super jumps with air dashes and covering the air dashes with j.S. I really don’t want to try to block instant overheads or get locked on the ground by assists against a Wolverine. Yeah… I would probably just kinda run away and hope not to get airthrown.

In other news there’s more tech from that Japanese tron player:
[media=youtube]mSjRMkU4YwA[/media]

Hey yknow the grab super setup for Tron/She-Hulk? Have you come up with one for Tron/Frank yet?

And yeah thats sorta my strategy against those characters too >_>. Just hope you get that lucky hit and kill em off.

What do you guys do against heavy zoning, Hawkeye seems like an impossible matchup to win. Any team with Vajra and/or Missiles is pretty tough too, then again that applies to the whole cast just Tron doesn’t seem to have much to deal with it.

I’ve been trying to do THC cart + king kobun then jab after the king kobun to force an air reset, but I can’t seem to get it to work. I’ll probably have to try something other than jab to get the reset. In vanilla I’d do THC haggar body press + king kobun and jab -> dp+H and it’d beat all techs in the corner.

Against projectile spam I am starting to think that gustaf fire xx drill is a decent way to close space. tron has moves like j.h, s.h, f.m and j.s that can absorb/negate some projectiles… and she has a lot of HP to take hits and keep trucking but it definitely is difficult. super jumping doesn’t really help with her either… just gotta time one of her projectile invincible moves i think and inch your way in.

I kinda ment something like Tron Combo > Beacon Bomb > Tag into Frank > Grab Super > Frank Combo.

Oh, yeah I don’t think Frank’s super works the same or as well as SheHulks. I’ll figure something out once I get my hands on the game again -_-. It’s been too long. I also want to test something I picked up from that vid… On their incoming character, s.:h: xx :dp:+:atk::atk: DHC :qcb:+:atk::atk: (whiff pie super) :a2: (call nova) c.:h: unblockable in the king kobun blockstun. I used to just try to do raw king kobuns and time it properly but I think the s.H is a better confirm.

I tried the grab setup and it does work, you get around 1 mil (500ish for Tron combo, 500 ish for Frank combo) off of a one bar pretty inescapable reset. Ill test that setup for you too.

Okay I tested it and the King Servbot does give lead into an unblockable. The problem is that going from s.H to King Kobun gives them enough time to jump forward and safely get out before King Servbot can lock them down. If they hold upback the King Servbot will hit them and bring them back down to get locked down for your unblockable. So youre kinda banking on the fact that theyre not smart enough to jump forward to get out in order for this to work.

[media=youtube]Pcm7qJU645g[/media]#!

New Footage. This time a Tron/Frank/Dante guy. Both characters are excellent partners for Tron and work for great synergy.

I was going to add a Tron/Frank/??? team to the Recommended Teams anyway so I’m going to use that video as part of the explanation