The System Mechanics Thread

Well…not that I want to, it’s just I was told something along these lines a loooooooooong time ago, and was looking for some confirmation one way or the other. I never really played the game like this was possible, just wanted to make sure.

Thanks for the reply.

It’s in CFE too.

Jinrai: so, 5 frames AFTER the throw grabs you, you can tech? But otherwise no?

Does teching normal throws with command throws work the same way? i doub it, because that kind of tech is really difficult, while normal throw techs are not.

You can also input the tech during the opponent’s throw startup, unlike CvS2. But yeah, the window after the throw connects is 5 frames.

For special throw techs, my guess is that the normal throw grab frame has to coincide with the grab frame of the special throw. 1 frame window.

Is damage reset after a parried reset?
For example say I command grab in GJ and eventually land a jumping forward to reset, then stick out a close forward which is parried then do another close forward that isn’t parried and they get launched into an ender. Is that damage reset?

In a word, yes.

As soon as the opponent parries, everything is reset: damage, stun, and juggle count. If the opponent doesn’t parry, everything scales as if it the whole thing was a combo.

This is why it’s unwise to try to parry Oro’s corner Yagyou reset unless you’re almost dead or stunned. If you parry and fail, Oro can deal about 30% damage, 60-70% stun, and even re-reset you if he has meter. If you just take the hits, Oro can only do about 15% damage, 20-25% stun, and can’t re-reset you because the juggle count is too high: the second low Fierce will whiff.

ah good thanks…this is a nice thread btw.

Ryu’s taunt is not that good. Rounded up, stun recovery rate does increase by 10% for the first taunt, but only an additional 9% for the second taunt, followed by another 9% for the third taunt. The total bonus is 28% for all three taunts.

My data was tested with a stop watch by doing 3 hits of denjin on second player in the corner, then close standing fierce punch. Immediately, time to recover to 0% stun was counted. The following was recorded:

0(no) taunts: 22 seconds, 0% bonus

1 taunt: 20 seconds, 10% bonus

2 taunts: 18 seconds, 19% bonus

3 taunts: 16 seconds, 28% bonus

I only know this because I’ve been working on a comprehensive denjin hadouken guide for quite a while…so i am a dork, but not enough of a dork to test this right away. anyway, the guide has a bunch of meter, stun, and miscellaneous system data that is unavailable anywhere - so I’ll keep you posted.

Shrug, might have been a mistranslation.

Okay, I’ve been updating my first post to add new information, as well as new questions, so check it out. What it really needs right now is a translation of all of the parry data.

I don’t think you can. Here’s my test. If Ryu blocks Dudley’s F+HK and does a reversal Shin-Shoryuken, Dudley is one frame from recovery when Shin-Shoryuken connects (F+HK is at -2, and Shin-Shoryuken hits on the 2nd frame). Since Dudley can’t block yet, the only thing he can do to escape it would be that “early parry”, assuming it exists. I tried parrying it several times in training mode with a partner, and it didn’t work once. So unless the timing is very tight, I’d say it doesn’t exist.

BTW Jinrai, thanks for translating all that frame data. Don’t worry, I’m saving all of it to a text file.

I’ll get into parry frame data the next chance I get. BTW, throws have 2 frames of startup, not 3. Chun’s airthrow has 6 frames of startup, while Ibuki’s and Oro’s have 7.

More than you ever wanted to know about parries

Ground parries of ground attacks/fireballs may only be attempted once per 24 frames.
Ground parries of air attacks may only be attempted once per 19 frames.
Air parries may only be attempted once per 21 frames, regardless of what’s being parried.
These are the restrictions that keep you from mashing down (or toward in the air all day.

If a parry attempt is successful, the 19/21/24 frame restriction is taken away and you can attempt another parry immediately.

If another attack connects within 2 frames of your parry, it will automatically be parried as well. For example, one parry input negates a few hits of Twelve’s SA1 since the hits are close enough together.

When a parry attempt is successful, you and the object you’re parrying are frozen for 16 frames (the object may be frozen for a few more frames depending on what it is, see below). These are the frames where the character goes into his or her parry pose. In CFE, you’re frozen for far less time, which is why parries look so weird in that game.

The only exceptions to the freeze rule are Oro’s EX Yagyou Dama and the parryable hits of Akuma’s KKZ: they have an infinite number of hits spaced a certain number of frames apart and won’t stop for anyone or anything. Other supers that you have to parry fast, like Ibuki’s SA1, Twelve’s SA1, or Remy’s SA1, are only because there are many seperate knives/sonic booms/needles.

When you parry a fireball, you and the fireball are frozen, but NOT THE OPPONENT. If you start parrying Akuma’s SA1, he can freely move in and attack while you’re stuck. However, this 16-frame parrystun can be cancelled into a block or another parry (the latter is obvious given the last paragraph). If you are thrown out of parrystun, you CAN tech the throw, but only after the throw connects.

There are 3 types of parry: blue, sloppy blue, and red. Blue parries are performed by returning the stick to neutral quickly enough. Sloppy parries occur when the stick isn’t returned to neutral in time, reducing the parry window; these are far more noticeable in CvS2 than in 3S. Red parries are parries that cancel blockstun.

Blue ground parry windows for ground moves/fireballs: 10 blue, 6 sloppy.
Blue ground parry windows for air moves: 5 blue, 5 sloppy. (Interesting.)
Air parry windows for all moves: 7 blue, 6 sloppy.
Red parry windows for all moves: 3 for normal moves, 2 for specials/supers.

Frame advantage for parried Jabs/Shorts: +4 (opponent is frozen for 20 frames)
Frame advantage for parried Strongs/Forwards: +3
Frame advantage for parried Fierces/Roundhouses: +2
Frame advantage for non-projectile specials/supers: 0
Frame advantage for projectiles: -16

Example of frame advantage: let’s say Chun parries Ken’s low Forward point blank. Chun is in parrystun for 16 frames and Ken is frozen for 19 frames. Because Chun’s low Jab has 2 frames of startup, Ken won’t be allowed to cancel to SA3 if Chun does the Jab at the earliest possible frame.

You are able to buffer motions while frozen for all ground parries, but NOT air parries. The game treats air-parrystun like superfreeze and does not accept inputs until the freeze is over.

That’s about it.

So you can’t parry a fierce and say… standing jab it?

You can, because of the recovery of the fierce. The +2 that you gain doesn’t seem to include the recovery of the move you parry. I assume that you combine both to get the total # of frames where they are vulnerable.

Well… I think.

Edit: Unless you mean they’re cancelling into a super; since you gain only +2 then I dunno. I suppose you wouldn’t be able to jab them before they can super in that case.

you’re getting too complex.

If the move you’re retaliating with, has a startup less than the advantage-number you get from your parry, you can hit them before they can cancel into anything.

Apparently? I didn’t know that. Cool. :smiley:

So, it’s easier (bad choice of words?) to cancel into super/special off stronger normals if they’re parried? I’ve wondered why my c.shorts into headbutt haven’t been able to come out with Urien when parried… is this why?

Best Kind Boxer has it dead on. And yeah, that would explain your low Short XX Headbutt problem.

Regarding the first post of the thread:
If you parry the knee of Ken’s Shippu, he will NOT go into the rising hurricane kick. Makoto’s SA2 is right, and so is Q’s SA2.

What is frame advantage/disadvantage?

Would this be the wrong thread for that question?

Here’s something to try out if you don’t believe the parry frame advantages:

With Makoto, stand over a rising opponent and try to cancel Strong -> SA1 without getting thrown after the parried Strong. It’s impossible.

Now try cancelling Oroshi (QCB+P) -> SA1. They can’t do anything.

How many extra frames do you get for stunning in the middle of a combo? Links are so much easier and some combos not possible before become possible.

Also this might sound noobish, but I always get tripped coming down from lets say a neutral jump. Most of the time I try low parry but always get tripped. Sometimes I just try and block low as I land but still get tripped…

I thought of another Q last night but can’t remember.

my guess is if you did whatever move in the air except for divekick, you have tripgaurd, which means you have like a pause before you can do anything.

usually its countered with going low, as it’s hard to consecutively hit someone standing on the ground. perhaps its easier to do on urien’s late j.hk? I saw Nuki c.lp xx super him after that parry. sick.

Becoming stunned by a non-knockdown move adds exactly 1 frame to your hitstun before the stars/birds/angels/reapers appear.