The Super Inevitable Street Fighter V Story Thread

New DMC just fall hard into theyr safe-marketing retardness as you can get, is a straight continuation of the antoniades devil may crap “evolution” of the series, because are years that capcom is trying to don’t look japanese anymore following whatever target demographic strategy
New DMC5 looks “graphically advanced” but that’s it

MM11 is not playing safe, is playing mediocre. MM style art had waaay higher peaks in the past

SF6 if Ono does’nt fight hard high capcom heads to “protect” it will not even looks japanese anymore, let alone having “anime look” of taking the vibe from the hand of classic capcom artists.
SFV already stopped start from the pure chara design thing and have modellers often follow real life people as model

I will be surprised as fuck actually if SF somehow manages to stay around SFV look, instead fall into some super westernized bs straight from marketing guys

To me, there is a way to go in to more realistic / advanced graphics style that does not require to fully “westernise” or loose SF identity; I don’t understand the need to talk in extremes for everything. OTOH, going full anime would make it easier for SF to be lumped with the other kind of anime Fighters in the market, that is the last thing I’d like to happen.

They could stylized there cell shaded approach and make there characters look not very anime in presentation but rather a moving illustration like there SF2 artworks which is very far from modern anime style or far from FGC anime. Since Anime itself has evolve into more easy to classify art its like they becoming similar and identical to each other unlike the earlier era were anime has many style depending on the artist. Color palettes can play a major role in a design to make it have it’s own unique distinctive look in cell shading.

1 Like

That I woud like! SF art always has this kind of hybrid eastern/western style that really worked.

1 Like

This is how it should look

3 Likes

I do like SF2 animated but moving paintings would be a dream and brand new rather than competing to the traditional celshading mainstream…

image image image

BUT using a predominant vintage filter as a aesthetic vibe like red that is more pinkish, magenta or orange in hue rather than a strong/solid red and blue to more purple or teal like hue rather than being solid blue.

1 Like

If SF6 finally goes the cel-shaded route, while I’d personally want them to base the art style around Bengus’ Alpha 3 art, I think the smartest choice would probably be to base it on the SF2 Anime movie.

Fuck that. I hate when fighting games go all New Generation.

Well that I agree with.

@DarthEnder2

Talking about Bengus…

Here is something floating on around the web for a long time… you might have seen it before?

5 Likes

But that’s what they did with SF4 and SF5. Or at least what they tried and imo sometimes succeeded when there are good models on screen and even more so with good lighting conditions. The games are not realistic-looking but they aren’t full dumb cel-shaded-looking either.

I don’t have the pic here, but iirc there is some test design artwork for SF5 in a book or somewhere that shows Ryu and Chun Li fighting in the restaurant in the Chinese stage and it’s drawn and painted in full color and it looks beautiful. And the game doesn’t look far from that. We may complain at some cheap outsourced models, but the art direction is much more interesting than a generic Guilty Gear or Dragon Ball. That’s what they did and it often looks gorgeous, when you are not seeing Ibuki’s face at a funny angle, that is.

3 Likes

I think they were aiming on something different I remember on one article that ONO was imagining it like those early (US)SNES manuals artwork… Japs nowadays have a trend obsession with the bruise faces SF2WW characters. while the ink effects on everything which was suppose to have an inspiration with OKAMI was abandoned because it didn’t work on a certain phase which I heard in some video… I’m not sure if it’s from the making of SF4 that was included video with the OVA.

It’s not about what can be done for the best result, it’s about what modern capcom will do under the push of theyr retard marketing division. Very different

In unrelated news, is anyone still hoping for a second story mode? Seems pretty unlikely at this point.

It’s a major bummer because the cinematic trailer for Arcade Edition looked like it was hinting at something with Ed and Falke trying to kidnap Ryu, Falke’s quotes hinting that Neo-Shadaloo will get in trouble with Chun/Guile/Cammy and so on.

I hope they don’t wait for SFVI to tell Neo-Shadaloo’s story, especially because I’d like for SFVI to be all about a return to the Illuminati plotline.

4 Likes

Tbh at first i was hoping for a second story but now i just want them to finish up the planned DLC and put all resources into making SF6 at this point.

2 Likes

SFVI should be very far from now, SFV is still in the middle of its life.

3 Likes

I was hoping and then deluded, because ComiCon was the perfect chance for it but they used theyr panel in one of the most mainstream events to… waifu alts.
Not even a video, a picture of them.

Even Namco, who historically treat Soul Calibur like the adopted and hated ginger son to lick Harada’s dick, used ComicCon to present Voldo, and set up a new demo

Specially considering that an audience like the EVO one will not be interessed about chapter 2, if anything they will bitch about it

But hope is that capcom’s marketing is just so retard, new contents may actually exist even if these geniuses manage to miss chances to promote them

@The_Shakunetsu That picture of Ryu I’ve seen too many times.

This definitely. I think we should conclude the NS story before we have anyone talking about SF6.

@Cestus_II I think MM11 is playing safe, at least compared to the art between 1996-2003. You can’t tell me that the art direction for MM9-11 is anything on par to H.Ishikawa’s work.

1 Like

Fuck this shit

SF6 is still far and i’m supposed to get support on SFV for still 2 seasons.

Specially considering that they HOLD BACK on purpose on contents, in the perspective of gave the product a long life/evolution (strategy that i hate, but at this point at least complete it)

1 Like

That’s why i said , finish up DLC plans, as in the last remaining two seasons. Then focus their resources on SF6 and make it a complete game from the start.

@Skort Do you include the 2nd story in that list of DLC?

Is exactly what i’m saying, MM11 may think to play safe, but just play mediocre on reality
MM used to be ambitious as artstyle, problem is was ambitious on a direction that capcom don’t trust and don’t want promote anymore.
So they drop a mediocre nostalgia card thinking they’re playing safe, they will get deserved crap on theyr face and blame MM for it
Modern capcom style