The Super Inevitable Street Fighter V Story Thread

The art for NG+2I was done by Kinu Nishimura, who worked on SF2. So it seemed like a natural evolution of SF2. Loved how her characters had curly hair like her version of Ken and and had defined facial features and poses. Gives you a idea of who these characters are and what they stand for.

I’ll agree that Ikeno pushed for a “freaky” style for SF3 where the “freaky” side of the character was exaggerated. It happened when Ikeno drew for CVS1. Ikeno just can’t draw women.

But personally Kinu, H.Ishikawa and Bengus are the best Capcom artists for me.

3rd Strike had worse overall design elements than 2nd Impact

5 Likes

Kinu’s artworks (followed by Ikeno’s) in SF3 were the best the series ever had, followed by SFEX ones

Then we got SF4 crap lol

Bengus is awesome, but i prefer when he does’nt try to be poor people’s Eichiro Oda

1 Like

Are you referring to his modern art because I actually really like it. I think his best style was the one he had during late 1996-1998 (XMVSF, MVSF, Vampire Saviour, Alpha 3)

Same goes for music and tone. Honestly, 3S feels so gloomy and empty compared to how lively and energetic both the OST and Stage/graphical design was in 2I.

1 Like

as Character Bison / Vega isn’t base on any martial artist nah is his fighting style base on any real martial arts fighting style. Bison character is base on Yasunori Kato from Teito Monogatari , Washizaki from Riki Oh , and Rudolph von Stroheim. with Kato being the biggest inspiration for Bison’s character .

base on what I know about Bison and who he’s inspired by. I say Psycho power has roots in Onmyōdō . which is a traditional Japanese esoteric cosmology, a mixture of natural science and occultism. Onmyōdō is base on Chinese philosophies of Wu Xing and Yin and Yang.

2 Likes
2 Likes

His modern style can be very hit and miss, when he want to put effort/detail in it i find his new hand awesome (one of his best styles), but when he try to be stylish with a Oda-like stylization it’s probably the wrong media where do it

His Darkstalkers pieces were overall his best imho, but i also liked lot of stuff from that period

I was wondering if someone could translate this comic:

1 Like

His style looked like a mix of Muay Thai (kicks, SF2 stage being thailand) and some Karate (for punches and stance)

Lerdrit is my pick, in modern days is essentially militarized muay thai with karate contamination trained by thai soldiers

Well i guess it’s eeasy to understand the meaning

Irony is i got cammy costume twice in like 10 picks

Kinda pissed this week is still cammy alt i wish was weekly… but i guess since after will disappear forever it’s fair give everyone time to try win it

It’s just that i think the absolute coolest alts (very character-related, much less bullshit) will end up here in the fortune mode and get only one every month it’s kind of torture lol

throughout all the games Eastern philosophies is prevalent in Street Fighter. so let’s take look at Dhalsim . here’s a web page on Dhalsim and Indian Culture

6 Likes

Awesome article, thanks

Design wise Dhalsim also owe a lot to these 2 guys

immagine
and

immagine

1 Like

This is also his style as listed in the White Wolf Street Fighter roleplaying game

Fun thing, Cody joined a prestigious club (all have black pants/shoes too)

immagineimmagine

2 Likes

Cool
Fun thing is that while fans usually add more assumptions to a product they like than reality, in SF it’s often the opposite

SF designers have a ridicolous fight sports/martial arts culture (or at least take the research part VERY seriously) and they fill theyr concept/designs with so many layers

To the point that become “useless” or even confusing on audience direction go list completely the fight styles and they chose to go for more user friendly dumb down/incomplete descriptions, some times even wrong ones lol

But it’s awesome recognize stuff, because there are so many touch of class hidden here and there

1 Like

It also shows that the SF designers really do care about the characters they create. Even when the character inspiration isn’t from a real-life source like anime etc.

I think that Capcom always goes the extra mile for their character design which something that other fighting games or companies don’t do.

2 Likes

I liked Cody’s win quote to Sakura. It seems to imply they knew each other way back then in the Alpha days. I wonder what’s the backstory here?

3 Likes

Long story short? Cody’s not actually in jail for beating up thugs

7 Likes

Now I got a message from Ken.

I wonder if these actually mean anything important or if I’m just looking to deep.

1 Like

[quote=“Fretless, post:1421, topic:576649”] i
wonder if these actually mean anything important or if I’m just looking to deep.
[/quote]

The latter, likely