The Super Inevitable Street Fighter V Story Thread

:laughing:

Capcom helicopters circle my house constantly!

To be fair, the first time they ripped off my real life was when they created a character based on my teenage years as a school girl enthusiastic about learning to be a street fighter! They even stole my trademark blue skirt!

3 Likes

Indeed they did change her in SFV. My lawyers letters must have finally reached Japan and been translated

2 Likes

I need to get my Libyan Mafia friends on them and make a character based on me.

1 Like

A few articles about the making of for the Arcade Edition trailer, translated from Japanese.

https://cgworld.jp/interview/201804-sfvae-op3-en.html

I saw them on Reddit and I thought people here might have been interested.

5 Likes

I do think that the CGI SFV:AE trailer was great in terms of the camera angles and lighting, really gave off a sense of surrealism.

Ryu looks like a cross between Kim-Jong-Un and Mickey Mouse and Iā€™m scared.

1 Like

1. Rejected characters presentation
    We present the rejected characters who werenā€™t ultimately accepted in the game. A whole array of full-fledged personalities!
  2. Indian superstar
  3. Shin is an Indian fighter who also can dance and sing. Heā€™s a super popular actor, who stars in over than 100 movies per year! His story revolves around his matches against other fighters from all around the world. His dream is to star in a movie alongside Fei Long. Heā€™s obsessed with white clothes and socks. His fighting style is showy just like an action movie, and he uses various objects like sticks, clothes, hangers and even bikes.
  4. Malaysian woman
  5. A woman fighter from Malaysia. A tomboy who regularly bests men and loves to fight. In her past, she fought against a Malaysian tiger who exceeded 3 metres, and got huge scars in the left upper part of her body; nonetheless, she discovered the thrill and excitement to fight against a strong living being, her joy of life. Sheā€™s a survivalist who spends the majority of the year living in the forest. She fights using silat.Ā¹
  6. A sand giant
  7. A girl who controls rocks and sand using a mysterious power who resembles Soul Power. Her name and origin are unknown, and her whole existence is shrouded in mystery. When she fights, she summons a sand giant; she then sits on its head, and moves freely in that space.Ā² Giantā€™s attacks are extremely powerful, and it can throw big boulders at the opponent. When the giant sustains damage, its body quickly restores itself.
  8. Alaskan huntress
  9. WHACK WHACK
  10. A girl who lives in the Alaskan tundra, a master huntress. Despite her appearance, she possesses an inhuman strength, and is capable to freely hurl and throw even big men. A wild rumor circulating between street fighters says that BWA superstar Kimala once challenged her, and was soundly beaten. Her age is unspecified (and she herself doesnā€™t know for sure). She basically thinks that fighting = living = eating, and consequently fights against strong opponents, thanking the land and all the living beings. She lives with her father and 5 brothers, all hunters like her.Ā³
  11. The fighting cuisine researcher
  12. A fighting cuisine researcher. Sheā€™s a wild lady who kills barehanded all the animals whom she then cooks. She can make her opponents faint with her strong hook. When she was a little girl, she was attacked by a giant bear, and lives to overcome the fear she felt then. She maintains a public blog about her life, and plans to publish a book by the end of the year. Contrarily to El Fuerteā€™s, her cooking skills are actually good.
  13. Buongiornoā“ (the name of her team?)
  14. An Italian girl. She grew up watching anime and reading manga, and became obsessed with the (wrong) Japanese culture. Her hobby is cosplaying, and she produces all her clothes by herself. She believes she can do anything with her fighting spirit.āµ She actually can use Soul Power; although she herself doesnā€™t understand well the true nature of her powers and believes that ki is the materialisation of her fighting spirit, she has been tutored by Rose. Her true name is Margherita, but itā€™s commonly shortened into Rita.

Ā¹ So silat was in the cardsā€¦ Just take Yayan Ruhian and put him in SF, Capcom!
Ā² Itā€™s not so visible in the image, but she has a cat near her. Ah, the good old Studio Ghibli influence over fighting gamesā€¦ One could write an entire essay about it.
Ā³ She seems just like a young Son Goku, just with a living family around herā€¦
ā“ Italian ā€œGood morningā€. Iā€™ve already translated all the writings on her costume.
āµ She sounds a lot like Italian cosplayer and talent Yuriko Tiger, very famous in Japan. Even Margheritaā€™s incitement catchphrase sounds like hers.

9 Likes

Hum, Thanks for the count, but in XMVSF, all the characters have 16 winning quotes with the exception being Sabertooth who has 15. The complete quotes list can be found in the XMVSF Gamest special.
Yeah, I remember getting a quote that Vega seems to be ā€œinvitingā€ Spider-Man to join Shadaloo. And I ALSO remember not playing either WITH or AGAINST Spider-Man. Are you using the latest ROM released?

@Midgardsorm Thanks again for the translations. Itā€™s interesting that none of the scrapped characters have any direct connection with already stablished ones at this point of development.

Will you translate the concepts for Abigail too?

Wow, they were really pushing for the Rose successor idea.

1 Like

I honestly didnā€™t want to, but Iā€™ve found something potentially interesting in it.

Aside from his ā€œLoboā€ costume, that they insist comes from Mad Max, thereā€™s the lower right corner. It says:

It seems a skull at a first glance, but this cute mark is actually the new Mad Gearā€™s logo. Apparently, the organisation that Belger led, and was believed destroyed, is assembling its survivors and is scheming something! Oops, weā€™ve spoilered too much.

8 Likes

Wow! This could also explain why 2P is in the bonus stage.
Maybe G has something to do with it?
Could also possibly mean that the book was finished BEFORE the S3 characterā€™s announcement, and the spoiler was because of Cody.

3 Likes

Yeah that bonus stage guy did look familiar. 2P or J

Also, could ā€œGā€ be a Final Fight 1 villain???

1 Like

Is G the benefactor of a resurgent Mad Gear?

2 Likes

@Lord_Vega Not sure, I used the Euro ROM and MAME has a option to hack the ROM to change the type. You can change it to Spanish and Japanese as of yet. As for the date, well all the MAME includes the gameā€™s release date and file size in that region: 25th June 1997 but no date on when the ROM was released but it should sometime after 2008 because CPS2 games couldnā€™t be emulated until then.

What version did you use? Arcade or console because I tried fighting and teaming up the Bison-Spiderman one but it comes out with different quotes? Maybe you have to do a certain input because they might be in the arcade version. Itā€™s unfortunate that Capcom didnā€™t make a English selection like Vampire Saviour on the Saturn did.

@YagamiFire Itā€™s heavily implied, I mean look at the trailer for AE. G appears and in quick succession Abigail and Cody appear.

Whatā€™s a interesting thing to know that Shockdingo also pointed out in his G video is that G is first seen in Menatā€™s crystal ball, maybe implying some connection? The articles that Miria posted also seem to tell us that maybe the CG directors intended each shot to work a certain way.

3 Likes

@Midgardsorm Thanks for all these translations. There were some interesting concepts here and there, but I think weā€™re better off without some of these.

-Iā€™m throwing in my hat with the folks who say Jim the plumber couldā€™ve been interesting. I really like the idea of this guy. Maybe an overlooked, genius in his own way, some of his better days behind him, so he spins a few, harmless yarns. Cares for his kin. Sounds like my kind of character!

I really hope that heā€™s kept in the future as an NPC at least. We need some support characters for Neo Shadaloo. Not everyoneā€™s gonna be on the frontlines. Ed and Falke donā€™t have unlimited wealth and resources, so some people will need to keep things up in working order for larger operations.

-Whoa, Rog was gonna stick with Ed? Iā€™ve said it once, Iā€™ll say it again, Iā€™d LOVE a huge interview/DVD/Book, something that details all the behind the scenes developments that went into SF5. I really feel like there were more than a few dramatic shifts with regards to plot and roster.

-Dobermann: Hmm, Iā€™m not sure. I feel like there could be something pretty interesting here, though, the biased Q fan in me wants to save the strength up or defence up options for him. Again, I wouldnā€™t mind this guy for a NPC.

-Iā€™m saying a strong NO to Shizaru and her wacky android antics. Her and some of the other rejected concepts were starting to feel quite un-Street Fighterish, and I say this as a guy who loves the ā€œfreakā€ characters. Like the sand golem feels too off. It couldā€™ve been cool, but I feel a VS game would allow it to fully take on its potential as a giant with some over the top moves.

-The French gang member has a great design, but I donā€™t really get his gimmick, does he actually have a power or heā€™s just intimidating with his eye gestures?

-The Drunken boxing character: I remember I was on the fence about him (thought cool design, didnā€™t like the idea of the monkey) now that itā€™s translated I REALLY donā€™t feel this character. I dunno, itā€™s just a bit much for me.

-I would have liked the fire dancer lady in a way, but like Cestus said, theyā€™ve gotta appease the waifu crowd and give her the thinning out ability. A little chubbiness doesnā€™t hurt, sheā€™s got a cute design.

-I want Shin in this at some point. He could be some well-animated-outrageous-charming-fun.

-Not sure what the Malaysian womanā€™s fighting style would be like, Iā€™m not familiar with silat, but I would like to see her get another shot.

-Curious about the mystery behind the Alaskan girl, could be interesting, but not really upset about her being left out. I see potential though.

-I might be biased since I was in a beat 'em up that featured cooking and combat, but fighting cusine researcher lady sounds fun.

-If Iā€™m being honest, Iā€™m kinda glad that they scrapped the Italian girl and went with Menat. I wasnā€™t feeling her and I feel Menatā€™s design, aesthetic and connection to Rose works a lot better. An Italian weeb doesnā€™t match with Rose as much as a mystical ancient Egyptian styled fortune teller.

-Oooh! Iā€™m liking this Abigail tidbit. While I like him as a potentially neutral, troublemaker, him being part of the new Mad Gear could be fun. I really wish they toned down the silliness a tad and put some of his backstory towards his motivation. A gigantic, harmless, self-conscious Cananuck who, for some reason came to one of Americaā€™s worst cities, snapped (thus killing the kindness stereotype we own and LITERALLY killed some thugs, and became the #2 to Belger could make for some neat storytelling.

Heck, (take a shot) Iā€™m again, wanting to make a Mad Gear headcanon: Iā€™d love if he and Hugo bonded over not just their strength and size, but maybe feeling left out of society or even due to being outcasts. Maybe Hugo wasnā€™t so enthused about leaving his mother behind to come to a life of crime in the states and was mocked for it? I dunno, I just want to make a comic that builds up the character of Metro City itself and the Mad Gear folksā€¦

Yeah, I mean dang, they really feel like they didnā€™t want her to return. I wonder what made them (THANKFULLY) change their minds?

Iā€™m really curious about this as well. I really want a new story mode that kicks off a Mad Gear revival plot with G going ā€œWaitā€™ll they get a load of me!ā€ but being much more than just a organization of thugs. Have it seem like that, but have him pushing for more, have G have some prior experience in operating under a larger scope (Illuminati headmaster?!)

In ENGLISH?! The VFX nerd in me thanks you, dude!

2 Likes

@Shockdingo Silat would be similar to Iko Uwaisā€™ style from The Raid and Merantu. Silat is basically an Southeast Asian analog for Kung Fu in China. Each region has their unique spin on the art. IIRC itā€™s essentially their official martial art.

1 Like

Thanks for the translations, midgard.

@Lord_Vega

Quick question: are there other books pertaining to the Vs series like the X-Men Vs Street Fighter Gamest? Makes me wonder if thereā€™s any Capcom Vs SNK stuff out there.

@Doctrine_Dark If the Kobun21 site I got some stuff from (Megaman+Sakura) is any indication then there should be some stuff on MVSF and CVS1. I bet that the CAP! Volumes have some really interesting artwork and details on plot as they did elaborate on plot elements (like Protomanā€™s past and how Jedah created Majigen). Might post the former if anyoneā€™s interested.

1 Like

Random 2 cents

-The indian dude is cool but i think Rashid at this point got lot of that spirit, not much interessed
Also i admit itā€™s probably in conflict with me wanting a flamboyant italian rep to SF after Rosso one day, so ultimately fuck him lol

-Malaysian girl who does Silat sounds about something i will like, but FUCK so much that design lol
South east asian becoming another blond slot, capcom pls lol
Also the militarized look itā€™s another shit we got already more than enough

-Sand giant seem definitely too over the top for SF, feel like is better Darkstalkers material

-Alaskan girl is maybe the best of the group, and you peoples know how much i usually shit on lil cute girl designs. But she looks a fun idea for SF universe
They could have gave her the little heavy wood club of SF4 north hunter concept

-Italian girlā€¦ go fuck yourself capcom, thank you. You have a Smalt Raven to do, not this shit
SF4 almost got it right

-Cuisine hunter girl is just same shit as the malaysian girl design wise, no thank you
We got 6 concepts there and 2 are female-Nash lol, i wish they can suck a bit less hard the army dickā€¦ i understand the marketing guy told them in the west is cool, but still
Also the alaskan girl concept seem to already cover (and way better) the idea, see her in the artwork having whale meat on her shoulder lol

Whatā€™s Rashid got to do with the Indian guy?

Now for my 2 cents:
-Malaysian character was good in paper much like @Cestus_II said but the design they went for is terrible. The sand character kind of reminds me of Anakaris or something from Red Earth. I think my favourite is the Hawaii girl and the Alaskan girl, they just need some SF-stylised tweaks and I wouldnā€™t mind seeing them in the future.