The Super Inevitable Street Fighter V Story Thread

actually the white dog that appears in the Bay Area in Final fight is name Shiro and his a good friend to Guile’s family’s dog Safu . however I have see this Guile’s dog been called Sabu before long time back. in the old Warriors fate thread back in 2002 the name Sabu is mention by Saki as being the name of Guile’s dog.

Guile’s Family’s dog according to his SF2 endings is a small brown and white dog. oh and the dog in Final Fight appears to be a terrier breed or at lest a mix.

3 Likes

I think your misdirecting and confusing what i said.

Nah my 60s parents are using social media

because she had a dual lifestyle, If you start placing a Ryu trying to concern instagram for his matches thats when everything is terrible. Even a Ryu seeking validation to many people is meh.

Wait? what I is how they were written before and what can a reboot change the way that they would end up relatable instead.

I think that in the end of the year, we’ll be getting Megaman theme ones to go with MM11 coming out.

@TazyryLipo Just give me Birdie as Gutsman and we’ll be good.

3 Likes

Some hi-res Shadaloo Base stuff from SF30.

6 Likes

What? MK influenced SF?

Street Fighter Producer Yoshinori Ono discusses the franchise’s milestone … Speaking to IGN at E3, Ono discussed how Ed Boon’s 2011 Mortal Kombat reboot, with its focus on a fleshed out story mode, inspired Street Fighter V

1 Like

My 80-something year old grandfather uses it and he lives in the middle of Tripoli, social media has a big reach. Ed+Falke is more of a tragic character and is trying to rescue other subjects, Menat doesn’t need technology because she has mystical powers. Rashid and Laura can use it but I really can’t see Ed+Menat doing that but only if it was written well.

I don’t think anyone in their right mind would have that TBH. I have a feeling that considering how badly Ibuki had been flanderised since SSF4 that if a social media cutscene were to happen then they would use a parody of “tinder” or “Grindr” (dating apps). Which is not funny at all, but say putting her in a situation where she lies about her life and putting in social media so that she’ll be closer to reaching that idea of a normal life.

But also, if she had social media why write it as a way for her to chase that ordinary life she wished for only to know that there’s no point. I don’t mind modern things in SF but please don’t do it to get extra people to play your games and to talk down to a part of your audience. Do it so that it seems normal rather than standing out.

I’m fine with SFV not dropping itself low just for a joke or something silly like SF4 did. The humour and writing in this game has improved.

Except no-one will relate with most of these characters. While I have seen long articles of how Ryu and Ken are relatable (which doesn’t make sense) can someone really relate with a Indian man who breathes fire or a British spy with amnesia. No, like you said people can sympathise and “idealise” them but never relate. Sakura in SFV comes close (in fact to teenage and early 20’s audience) because she has no idea of what she wants to do after her studying working at a arcade. The best thing is that they didn’t try some hipster 10’s solution. They were realistic and made her want to be married and have kids. Getting into a relationship with a man and having kids is its own strength and that’s something slot of modern media from this decade tend not to talk about.

@ocelotyouth There’s even more possibilities:
Zeku=Protoman w/o helmet, homage to this artwork, also fangirls will get triggered.

Karin: MM8 Roll
M.Bison: Sigma
Falke: Pandora
Ed: Glyde
Vega: MMZ Zero/Omega

So much possibilities, I also feel like that a character will get a MMX related one to coincide with the X collection coming out at the end of the year.

@Midgardsorm Sorry to bother you, but could you please translate the image above? Optional

Sakura was not something to be idealize either but to be a waifu material, that what she was in SFz era, She was a intended to be another comical relief character like Dan, not a talented skilled fighter than her peers. Even Dan was serious character in A1. Yet thing change.

Nowadays Sakura is a relatable character which is fine, but I’m not into her being someone to best veterans because of martial art skills. While Karin stays as the waifu anime material.

They can make a reason(excuse) for that by simply saying he was competing with Ken and wants Ken to know who he fought with. Nowadays fans will try to justify a reason(excuse) to make thing inappropriate to be consider right when those were out of place and wrong.

Things are different with this days and age when people are with the wackiness of memes and have low attention span, So design intention evolve to be narrowed down just to fit the current trends and appeal.

Bruise SF faces have been trendy lately and who would thought of that. Chun face and majority fugly SF4 designs. Those were happening because of trends and not budget and poor quality of work. Look at Thundercats, Ninja Turtles, Archie, Goku and etc…

As long as SF stays in retcon fixes, it stays safe than any reboot if the cased and priority would be appeal and be relatable characters.

Expect only pedophiles would find her as waifu material, just as messes up as people who have Roll as waifu. Sakura was similar to Scooby Doo’s nephew, they were introduced for younger people to relate to. Also Akira Yasuda was designing a school-girl character for SF3 but added her to alpha 2 because he wanted a character to contrast with Nash+Rose. Dan became a character character starting with MVSF and it took full scale by Alpha 3. Sakura isn’t a joke character like Dan is because she’s a joke character in terms of design philosophy but with SFV, that’s no more and she’s like any other character.

I could be late on the bruise faces meme but I swear that was a really old meme. My friend of mine has done a post of these modern reboots and they seem more like trying to get a political agenda like LGBTQ to children which shouldn’t really be happening:

Because Capcom is a Japanese company, they will never get into the meme jokes. Not to say that it could happen, SEGA have pandered to memes and 30-yr old men for Sonic since 2011 and look how it’s characters and design has suffered. Sonic 1998-2008 was a animé styled series that wasn’t afraid to talk about dark plots but now they have extremely bright colours and characters seem to only have one trait. This will not happen to SF because they are more out of touch with western audience than SEGA.

From where did you dig that?

Its not the cased of being a Japanese Company, Japan trends has been more wacky than before and more lewd in female designs recently.

As for Sonic with a human princess… Sega was selling out hard to appeal with Sonic thats why they end up with those concepts. No one can assure that those won’t happen in SF because this is Capcom just take a look their history.

I think that in the Undisputed Street Fighter book it was said that Sakura was designed precisely as a reaction to the “stereotypically cool” characters that were being designed in the Alpha series at the time, rather than make some badass military guy or some chick with secret mystic power Akira decided to make a regular schoolgirl with a lot of motivation and passion.

I don’t think Sakura was ever a joke character though, a joke character is someone that’s deliberately shown as comic, possibly incompetent and clearly not taken seriously even by the writers themselves, AKA Dan.

Some other characters fits the description somewhat, but not completely: for example Rufus and Birdie are clearly depicted in a way that’s supposed to be comic and not taken seriously, but I don’t think that with them it’s taken as far as to compromise their credibility as fighters (you can have a really dumb/fat and lazy character who’s still strangely gifted at fighting), or fighters like Hakan and El Fuerte who clearly rely a lot on weird-factor but are not deliberately made fun of in their stories (except for El Fuerte’s shitty cooking skills I guess).

3 Likes

@Phantom_Miria I only really see her as a joke character in design wise but she’s evolved since then. Now she is up there with Chun-Li and Cammy in terms of iconic females in SF and a great character in general

1 Like

Go fuck yourself.

@DarthEnder Well to be fair, the way they are usually portrayed aren’t the best. However I’ll say that Steven Universe portrays the LGBT thing brilliantly without seeming patronising. If it’s a teen show then I wouldn’t mind it but for something like 6-9 year olds, then not yet, not in today’s climate. Wait a few years and hopefully we can really discuss things like this without the handling becoming bad.

It can work but needs special care, Arthur did it greatly and showed one of the characters meeting a lesbian couple without seeming forced or preachy.

Cute

Sakura having those panty shot, animations and other poses makes in my 90s lens when before my teens the first time I saw her before as a waifu material and comedic like. The only thing that I saw her serious was A2 ending.

She’s Yuri(KOF) not AOF and Yuri stayed the same way while Sakura of this era has written to evolve to a passionate fighter and now a working early 20s japanese girl.

That’s why SF isn’t safe and not in the right era to be rebooted.

What does SF need is just a smooth sailing narrative establish and complementary to past and present history of their games with consistency.

Those trendy ideas will just alienate SF fans because it will try to alter the establish character design for veteran and icon that is to idealize not to be relate with.

I guess I don’t understand what you mean by “LGBTQ political agenda”. Is the fact that a show even has gay characters pushing the political agenda?

The message found in those shows is not “Hey kids, be gay.” It’s “Whatever you are, that’s okay.”

4 Likes

Certain shows seem to have a “If you aren’t gay you’re evil evil evil” or “she’s gay” and making that their only character trait. There are a few that do it but the ones that prominently feature the LGBT message do it in a great way. Legend of Korra and Doctor Who did really it terribly and distastefully.

Another show that comes to mind is Courage the cowardly dog, a certain episode had a girl who was a closet lesbian and was abused by her boyfriend. All of this in the early 00’s and they had to hide the subtexts too.

It’s better than 15 years ago when “gay” characters were made like villains. H.I.M from the original Powerpuff Girls come to mind.

Those propaganda show are messed up those gender and color has been a spotlight…

Propaganda show that makes them those as a spotlight of being good is no different from show makes them by gender and color evil.

Imagine frequent issue of spotlighting Dudley has issue with racism and Poison with gender. that’s fuck up. because that will lead the story for their characters to be written to always need validations. appreciation, recognition and etc social stuff rather than just beating their opponents and also those ideas would overshadow there plots while it also changes other character to act with them if written.

The ironic thing is that by spotlighting those things you make seem like it’s not normal or a accepted thing to be black or transgender. I hope we don’t turn Street Fighter to:
Street Fighter 6: the social justice warriors!

If Eagle were to return I really think that they would make his sexuality his only trait and ruin that character.

If people are desperate to make those propaganda work, the route would be to make a new evil characters that are misogynist and racist towards their enemies. Something how Claw works in win quotes…

Something in reverse works that does not disrupt establish characters other than chances of their encounters. That is better than changing characters making them conscious to those derogatory terms makes them sensitive in a poor sense it makes them look like a college drama thing, Since they are 80’s grown up person like those 80s flick of action movies and those words doesn’t something that concerns those people that has into fighting and grown into fighting.

1 Like