The Super Inevitable Street Fighter V Story Thread

I guess so, we got Abigail and Zeku from FF arc too

Also if Zeku/Rog was there as possible Geki/Mike spiritual successor, Cody can easily rep Joe

1 Like

I am really glad to see a PROPER Final Fight adaptation of Cody in SF instead of a stand-in for Joe. His new projectile is from Mighty Final Fight, and his Spinning Kick obviously is his “GET OFF ME” move. More importantly, I felt really warm reading Haggar’s letter to Cody and seeing Cody take his job seriously as peacekeeper in Metro City. Cody’s fall from grace has been a massive part of his character since he returned in SFA3, and after all of these years he is finally stepping into the light and beginning the path to redemption.

Real talk, Nishiyama coming back has been the best thing to ever happen to Street Fighter’s canon. Nishiyama was largely responsible for crafting the SNK Universe, especially its golden era of Fatal Fury, Art of Fighting, KOF, and Samurai Shodown. And now he has brought that magic to Street Fighter ever since he returned for SF4. SF4, SF5 and even SFxT are loaded with references from earlier works and now the CFN guide details the histories of every character to step foot into SF’s world, even characters from FInal Fight, Slammasters, SFEX and even SF:tM to give them a specific place in the larger canon.

SO…do you think Cody is going to try and reconcile with Jessica as he slowly climbs back into the light?

7 Likes

I agree with you. It’s nice to finally get the real Cody in a Street Fighter game.

5 Likes

@Shockdingo
Why are you quoting me when your comment has nothing to do with what I said?

More info from capcom blog
http://www.capcom-unity.com/strumslinger/blog/2018/05/27/cody-metro-citys-new-mayor-punches-his-way-in-to-street-fighter-v-arcade-edition-on-june-26

Haggar exonerates Cody for his crimes. That’s how he manages to become Mayor.

5 Likes

Huh, that’s weird. I could’ve sworn I quoted Tatsuroko.

It’s awesome and guys…I just realized how bright the future is. StreetWise may be rendered non-canon cause of these developments!

edit:
Oh and speculation mode, I don’t know if the phone call was just part of the sketch or a hint, but do you guys think that the voice on the phone call is significant? I’m wondering how long he’s been mayor and the story behind his us…story outfit hah. I’m thinking it’s an emergency Haggar loan as violence erupts from the city’s darkest hour…

1 Like

Dude, I jumped straight here due to the immense Cody hype, I just zeroed in on that lol. I’ve never used YT group chat, what is it?

@Shockdingo You can easily add people to it, it’s a recent feature that was added, anyone can create it and it allows for faster sharing of videos and basically works like this forum, partly.

If you think it’d might work, just say the word and I’ll easily create it, I’ll just drop the invite link.

Streetwise may be non-canon but Capcom took elements from it like Cody’s last name. I wonder if his little bro will get a shout out.

Highly unlikely they mention his brother, because it’d be weird for him to leave his brother out during Ff1 and then land in jail leaving him alone. I know he got a CFN profile but…

I don’t see it being unlikely. It will be a case if they care to bring him up. We don’t know the age gap between him and Cody. It’s probably not huge enough for none of that to matter.

2 Likes

Unless he was something like a high school kid during the events of FF1, which would put him as old enough to be trained by his older brother but young enough to not be involved in FF1. I do wonder how old Cody is though?

Kyle is a former marine. He could have joined the military while Cody was in jail. It would explain how he manage to get by on his own.

TBF, I never played SW so I really didn’t know much of that game but makes sense. They’ll probably pull a “Kyles’s off to the marines to help cities affected the black moon” excuse.

@Shockdingo there’s the YT group chat invite if you want it: https://youtu.be/join/ct-WfPjrC5vIdE

I wouldn’t call this the REAL Cody.

Don’t get me wrong, this is far better than “prisoner” Cody. But what we’re getting here is some kind of weird Cody/Haggar hybrid. The mayor thing. The pipe. The strap outfit.

The “real” Cody should be something closer to Terry Bogard than a weird half-Haggar.

1 Like

The real Cody was a bit of anti-hero. That’s what SFV Cody is. You see the roots of Final Fight play style. It’s a progression of who he was when he went off to save Jessica. Not some lame directionless hamburglar with a story that’s shit even fighting game standards.

5 Likes

After listening to Cody’s theme, I know it’s the title theme from FFI, but I thought that I heard the instruments from somewhere, then the record scratching gave me flashbacks to SF3. His theme sampled 3rd strike’s character select especially in the beginning of the character select and the 2:50 onwards to the chorus of the character select. The guitar part is strangely similar to the guitar heard in his theme. The guitar also resembles a 16-bit sound you’d hear in a mega drive game like Sonic 3 or Street of Rage. Maybe this symbolises something like being near to the SF3 era?

Summary

Didn’t know that Cody was a DJ as well as the mayor!

3 Likes

So, I’m pretty sure the guy he’s talking to on the phone is G.

5 Likes

Hi guys I want to point out that the story costume is not just HAGGAR inspired it was also something that was possibly inspired directly from Street of Fire.

I did binge with some SF and other fighting game inspired movies last year including the one with Ken inspired stage that has a protagonist prize fighter quite interesting story too. I still didn’t able to find a decent sharer of Wanderers film.

I like what they did with him in some specials having some of his Final Fight Revenge special, I do like Kyle but I prefer streetwise not to happen other than Kyle only taken out that game.

5 Likes