The Super Inevitable Street Fighter V Story Thread

From a summary Iggy posted at MadMan’s Cafe:

2 Likes

Yeah, but in both case i’m purposely focusing on what they chosen as final concept, wich got clearly “dumb fixed” after some nono from above

Indeed, but i feel apply to both… maybe with Menat they got a “no” with a bit more time in advance and added the azure eye to move things, but still
Also you’re very much correct on Laura too, forgot about her
Lol, where they wanted cover skin they just ordered to slap on some flat black rubber

Keep in mind i consider SF4 standard Juri with her TKD vibe (with white playing a part and large pants making contrast with small upperbody, and mostly the martial art aspect being strong) her best design by far, in fact i got the nostalgia one as default on my copy

But once we accepted the notasgood SFV look (wich imho silly chase that SFV special ops/spy movie shit to please at west i guess), and seen wich design they chosen, as you say somebody just ruined it for not-design reasons

compared to final sketch Menat imho ingame one lose a lot of her identity, but more than that her colourful skin color used to have a much bigger role in her color scheme and offer a more straightforward “simple” SF look with bigger masses of color and more balanced on detail… i mean she’s rich in some body areas and simple in others
It also overlap with the purple veil in a more readable way
Final one seem more heavy deatil wise and complex in a way that does’nt help classic SF way of read shapes, it works against it… it feel an “artificial” addition, if explain what i mean

I don’t know what to say about Laura’s window tbh
I mean it looks stupid not censored (and redundant as Mika more or less offer the same gimmick), it look as stupid censored plus having full retard censorship.
Remove completely the window and an already very very safe/generic (she’s born for marketing after all) design just become more generic
Does’nt help that imho they got a ridicolous good design for her that was used as alt
It’s hot (wich is big part of her brazilian girl archetype)
it remind grappling/BJJ more than the standard
it link stronger to Sean
Instead overused sleeveless gi look, it got an original line, even more if you think it’s upper heavy on a female design… to me it’s definitely far more memorable
Ever feel weird see the green one to me, as i switched the Battle Alt as standard as soon i could lol

Sim is awesome really but its time we had a second rep from India. For such a large country they deserve another character.

1 Like

Tbh for many countries its time they get theyr FIRST rep :smiley:

As much i want a non-Rose italian rep i’m first to admit there’s a fair and long queue lol

It took them fucking ages (till SF4, and not even vanilla) to add classic Korea-Taekwondo, and still i’m waiting Netherlands Kickboxing lol (bizzarre considering how holy K1 was for Japan)

Still waiting a modern MMA decent rep, easily the biggest fight sport phenomenon of last decade(s)… i get Japan still butthurt about it but camon, don’t be sore loser jap pls*

Problem of both nation variety and style variety is that they’re moving the core on some kind of “action story” instead an martial arts clashing one, and characters seem to forget ever more theyr old SF “duty” of reps

That’s why i’m not much into SF getting too movie-like plot, it influence the shape of the cast
Will welcome trade with worse plot + better variety/more martial cast

*Or at least get Abel back who was “Sambo MMA”

Need:

Western Africa - Nigeria
Centeal africa - CAR
South Africa - erm South Africa?
Australasia - Aussie
Malay/Indo/Pinoy
Scandinavia
Benelux
Balkans
Central America
More South America
More south asians
Persians inc iran, armenia, azeri etc (yes theyre diff from arabs)

4 Likes

I am also talking about SF2 dhalsim to be more likable and acceptable than ELFs if released today. Since Cestus used it as an excuse and compare it to ELFs in terms of acceptance and likability Sim SF2 in 2019.

My point is Sim SF2 compare to ELFs, has more cultural reference to be liked in this generations because people now would research because of the internet.

Even without research in 2019 SF2 Dhalsim would fall into the cool, badass and meaningful than ELFuerte.

We not in the 90s anymore that this things are new and information and difficult to be reference. Whatever few in the past is different nowadays.

Don’t tell me it’s because he got skulls in the neck? In 2019? Those weren’t even a big deal nowadays Even the skulls is a concept of what he fights for, Dhalsim would ended up to be idealized more than ELFs. Why because of his CAUSES even without looking to his cultural references and just reading in game information like plot and motivation in 2019 technology it would be more clearer.

And having a controversial look and being a good guy? Would people even believe the skull reference would remain obscure? when it would be consider cool. the information like skull in the neck would even spread like wild fire in the internet from EH and Kotaku. It’s not because his a long existing character for being likable and accepted compare to ELFuerte,

The thing is because he has a lot symbolically and meaningful causes around him in 2019 thats why he is more likable and accepted compare to the other character that is debated.

We need first to analyze the trends and technology before assuming the things would be the same. 90’s things like information doesn’t spread easily, the time were things can easily be confused and misunderstood visually. In 2019 teens and adult now are attracted to causes and weird information spread like wild fire, EH and other gaming website would already have spread meaning adding to it’s cool factor.

Another thing to consider is that video games of today can elaborate more on the character story compare to SF2, so ending and dialogue is more on detail. Plus 90’s teens and adults has different acceptance people now like to read and look for reference rather. SO assuming things in the 90s would be judge same in 2019 to excused ELFuerte missed is wrong. There are many thing that are even normalize in this day and age like this.

I am debating here is the argument that his SF2 counterpart in visual standpoint would be dislike if released in 2019 that is used as excuse to ELFuerte.

I’m not including his SF2 story and dialogue because technology and research are more better in video games in modern times. ELfuerte is good also for me visually but the argument using SF2 sim as an excused isn’t right. because I don’t believe this point below.

Long ass list though, specially considering some are multiple nations… it will take lot of SF chapters lol
That number x2 if you think they turned into bitches that will take any chance to spam safe “birthplace: unknown” crap :smiley:

Play a game, pick “only” 6… 6 new nationalities in a single SF will already be huge

Nation-
Style-

As usual, this is a bunch of white people whining (in regards to the articles and such)

My best friend is half-Indian with a father that legally immigrated from India as a young businessman. He has played Street Fighter his entire life and both he and his father have ZERO issue with Dhalsim and have always liked him because he was an Indian rep in a game and was a good man with neat powers. Everyone in the game was equally “culturally representative”.

EDIT:

Just wanted to add (because it’s particularly relevant)…that friend just gave me my birthday and Christmas gifts last week. The gifts?

and the 1up arcade Street Fighter II

6 Likes

OK Ill play. My top 6 wishes.

Indonesia, Silat or stick fighting
Nigeria, some sort of big man fighting style
Australia, Aborigine crocodile hunter
Ireland, sassy drunk redhead boxing girl
S.america, anything non brazilian lol
Balkans, street fighting

3 Likes

I would be fine with Byron and Tom to fit those nationalities.

Ok, this is fun:

Argentina - A hot female racer employing some street boxing.
Scandinavian country (Sweden, Norway) - Redhead big male brawler.
Cameroon - Douala male wrestler. Could use some earth based attacks to make him distinct.
Indonesia - Penkak silat female.
Ghana - Some voodoo female sorcerer, the magical attacks would be great for zoning, and the dark anc creepy vibe would contrast great with Elena.
Mongolia - Boss character inspired on Genghis Khan

2 Likes

a Mongolian character would be interesting.

Handsome fighters always get statues.

3 Likes

Man, it’s gorgeous. I just have to find a good place to put it which will probably be in the new house after it’s built since I have so little room now. Same thing for the arcade cabinet…nowhere to set it up at the moment.

3 Likes

We should keep in mind that the series already moved away from making all the characters totally obvious ethnic/racial/national stereotypes. Plenty of them are references to earlier video game/anime/literature/whatever characters way more than they represent a country (see Rose, who putting her obvious Lisa Lisa reference aside leans way more towards representing Gypsies than she does Italians). With that in mind:

1. West Africa-Like javert said, some vodun practitioner would be an obvious angle to take a character from the region (easily iconic element of culture and also derivative cultures, can provide flashy enough visuals and easy gimmicks). The only character from earlier FGs I can think of like this is Raven from Eternal Champions. If antagonistic he/she could also be a rival to any of the more mystical characters (Rose, Dhalsim, Menat).

2. United States’ Northwest to Canada-A man/woman who’s all about taming the wild be it hunting, cutting down trees, etc. Can provide a rival for Blanka as the hunter hunting the beast man.

3. Gen’s Disciple-Gen’s art must live on and Gen obviously didn’t teach Chunners all he knew about assassinating (obviously she’d be way more broken if he did). Frankly I wonder if Zetsu’s youthful form was modeled on the drafts they did for Gen’s Canned Disciple. You can give the apprentice a dao if you wish to set him apart from Gen.

4. Scandinavia-A Nord who’s all about the sea, mastering it, getting it to fight for her/him. Whether a diver, a captain, or even a fisherman. I also don’t recall SF having a solid hydrokinetic before.

5. Central Europe-A character inspired by Vlad Dracul III. I say Vlad instead of Dracula since rather than do the route of making the character a vampire or pseudo-vampire (granted he/she can still evoke vampirism or otherwise being a creature of the night in super moves) make the character more of a radical “terror hero” (think Batman) who’s all about enforcing the proper order. Obvious rival in Juri.

6. Mongolia-Just an archer. Even today there are Mongolians practicing traditional horse-archery.

2 Likes

I don’t get why stereotypes are considered a bad thing. Especially early in fighting games, where any semblence of story you had to piece together from contradicting endings and the character designs and moveset. The manuals would give a little backstory, but that wasn’t possible in the arcade. So if you include an Indian, anyone from all over the world should be able to tell he’s Indian, same for Native Americans, same for Arabs, same for Japanese or US Americans. As long as you’re not making fun of said stereotypes it’s fine… or as long as you don’t fall into things like making any black guy a thug or any Islamist a terroist, which SF at least has balanced well.

It’s really such a dumb issue to bring up, since the supposed veild racism in these designs is never brought up with characters like Eagle and Birdie, clearly British (a gentleman and a punker, very synonymous with 80’s UK) or the Japanese cast like Retsu and Geki (a ninja and a monk, no explanation needed). And those are only from the first game! I’d surely be HONORED if a future Romanian Street Fighter were to use some traditional motifs into his design and have the personality of a rulal bumpkin so you can tell from first glance what he’s about. It doesn’t matter the majority doesn’t dress and act like that, because that’s what most of our literary and mythological heroes do act like and it’s easy to anyone knowledgable about this stuff (or who looks into the motifs after the character’s introduction) to click with.

5 Likes

Adding up to my fanfiction post recently on SGS and Gouken as another example other than the DC’s Final Crisis reference would be from Giorno

Is the Gold Experience Requiem from JoJo Bizzare Adventure

Something that Giorno used against Diavolo.

So Gouken attaining MU makes him transcend his self from any subconscious traps made by SNH spirit.

The it makes him fight several astral warrior like entities that would try to kill him then again fight another different astral warrior that would again try to kill him and it would repeat. Like an endless battle-mode, Until the spirit of the victim is break and exhausted from the eternal cycle of destruction and defeat.

This can be also a good reference for Akuma speak during SGS in SF4:

The 'Die One Thousand Deaths

The Infinite Death of Diavolo

SF4 SGS

It’s Senegal, but Laamb could work well for SF, it’s a big fight sport there, but also something with deep tradition/culture and even esotherism

Yeah, ever said i will like a romanian rep playing on vampire figure without him necessary be an actual one. Like pale af, retro vibe clothes, dark type of ki etc

Will like to be indipendent and hate Illuminati (just like Vlad hated Ottoman empire), in that way darkness based ki could represent further his opposition to them (the “enlighted ones”)

SFV almost got this guy from Norway :smiley:

Since you brought up Mu again I thought I might share some pretty interesting info regarding it.

Since Mu in SF is based on Muso Tensei from HnK I thought I might look into how it functions in that story to see if there are even more parallels between the 2 techniques. So how the wiki describes it in the first paragraph

The ultimate secret technique of Hokuto Shin Ken. It is said that only one who embraces the true nature of sorrow can awaken its power. Kenshiro was the first man in Hokuto Shinken’s 1800 year history to master Musō Tensei during the epic struggles against his friends and great rivals. Musō Tensei allows the user to achieve a state of “nothingness”, impervious to attacks, and commune with the souls of fallen rivals (Toki, Ryūga, the Nanto Roku Seiken and later Raoh) in order to use their techniques.

Raoh also learned Musō Tensei when his feelings for Yuria unlocked the profound sadness within his heart.

What stands out to me are the fact that in order to unlock the technique one must know the true nature of sorrow or profound sadness. Profound Sadness sounds pretty familiar in the SF universe correct?

Guy’s KO quote from SF4 is “Profound Sadness” in English. In Japanese, he says Munen 無念 which translate to regret, though if you break each kanji apart it turns out to mean “No thought”, and Munen as a Buddhist term means free from obstructive thoughts. Being free from thought is the state of mind needed to acquire Mu.

As far as SF media goes, Guy is the first character to be depicted in such a state. In the Nakahira manga Guy is able to block all of the hits from SGS with one hand. After that, Gen is seen blocking SGS in his SFA3 pre fight intro with Akuma, then Gouken in SF4.

8 Likes