The Super Inevitable Street Fighter V Story Thread

Samurai Shodown has weapons, blood, and even fatalities. They just don’t go cartoonishly over the top.

Guilty Gear doesn’t have the same degree of bloody violence, but the production value that ASW brought could make the MK characters still have interesting finishers. Their work with Dragonball show that, if they wanted, they could also put in much care to make other peoples’ properties look right in an ASW title. Guilty Gear’s Instant Kill moves are functional fatalities as well, not just post match gloating.

With the above, the biggest isn’t isn’t the really the fatalities, it is just the clash of systems.

There are a number of older games, both arcade and console-only, that tried to ride the wave of Mortal Kombat’s blood, gore, and/or fatalities. Time Killers and Bloodstorm would not only fit right in with Mortal Kombat, putting the TK/BS characters into an MK engine would be an improvement for them. Primal Rage was MK with dinosaurs. While you’d think Liu Kang versus Vertigo would be a very short fight, the canceled Primal Rage 2 introduced the idea of human Avatars that could somehow also be large enough to fight dinosaurs. That could easily be worked into a mindless excuse for why the MK cast can do the same, and would probably still be a better excuse than MK vs DC used. Who’s waiting for MK vs Weaponlord? No one? Good. But it would be interest, though not necessarily fun, to see the MK characters rebuilt for Weaponlord’s engine.

Is it time for a giant Midway universe game? MK vs War Gods vs Bio F.R.E.A.K.S vs Mace: The Dark Age vs Rampage. It can go all King of Fighters and bring in fighting game versions of other non-fighting game properties… The Blitz Sports Team, The Total Carnage Warriors, …

3 Likes

I think the starting point of hate was so many hated his gameplay, specially to have him as opponent

I got him with jap voice and while i remember his questadilla scream, was’nt much more invasive than hadohadoshoryu… or anyway was’nt a reason to call the char shit lol
Sure the guy was loud af, but was part of the character

Again if Elf was an hot luchadora you will see the hate drop by 50% lol

Elf fit essentially respect all SF design rules, people are just react different to new characters

Dhalsim is kinda universally accepted as iconic SF design
If Dhalsim was released today for the first time the amount of whining/complaining/hate will be immense… and still a 2019 released Sim will respect all SF design rules

People just want shit they like and can’t give less fucks if fit the game or not, tbh 9 out 10 theyr opinion does’nt have any legitimacy outside theyr buyers value

Tbh you need that much link :smiley:
SF2 is the great ancestor of large majority japanese fighting games

As long they don’t sport some very different setting like DS or SS, or specific gimmick like BR animal transformation (VT? lol), FightingVipers armors etc etc, you could generally take any japgame fighting cast and SFize it kinda easily

SF created a design language
image image

And sharing that common ancestor dna you could do same with descendants, like take SC and SS and blend them perfectly, switch back of some centuries Toshinden and can fit too lol

If we remove the jap premise then incompatibility happen

MK, KI or some other obscure western FG will either get completely subdued to jap style (like happened with great success in old capcom marvel games) or does’nt works as well

Recent hybrid MvC things feel much weaker to me, i don’t know if in english exist as saying but are neither fish nor fowl

The other way was the SF movie MK-wannabe game and i will erase that crap from my brain if i could lol

Some universes just stay better separated

1 Like

Dont know if anyone was old enough to remember but around the time MvC1 came out one of the developers hinted there was a Marvel vs Capcom vs DC in the pipeline.

Alas it was never to be…

2 Likes

Interesting didn’t knew that I wasn’t active in the internet till MVC2.

Where did you get that from?

It was a long time ago bear in mind… it was either in a magazine that I brought (as youd get your gaming news from magazines back then), or it was on a random - but legit - website like gamespot.

They were probably just thinking about. But could you imagine MVC2 being MvCvD instead?

I never thought SEGA X CAPCOM X NAMCO would happen but an RPG game instead lol

That game would legit be GOAT as long as they focus on some of the more older school characters like Dig Dug etc.

I legit enjoyed Namco x Capcom more than PCZ

edit: In fact I think capcom should forget about marvel and move onto something else, that way there wont be so many strings attached and conditions etc. (ie include Black Widow roflolo).

2 Likes

Darkstalkers vs GG was the crossover we deserve but never had

Sim would be more accepted now. why? because of the internet his visuals seems controversial at first glance but in return it’s more meaningful with the cultural references rather than ELF forced cooking dialogue.

EFL gameplay and visual are okay with my book, but how he talks in quotes, like it forced cooking into win dialogue. Yet some people dislike ELF same thing with Viper for their gameplay movement not being more SF alike.

Kizuna Encounter is a mostly weapon based fighter. It’s more on SS and GGX.

Same thoughts, they would have better choices of characters in their franchise that can play with to play like Mahvel characters. they also had better choices of art direction and could return many previous fighting game characters from Capcom.

1 Like

Sim has always been viewed as a negative stereotype. If he were released today you would definitely here more complaining along the lines of this…

From the Wikipedia

Topless Robot named him one of the “most ridiculously stereotyped” fighting game characters, calling him the most outlandish of Street Fighter II 's cast and drew comparisons to the Indian assassin in the film Master of the Flying Guillotine .[9] The satirical book A Practical Guide to Racism , implicitly criticizes his portrayal as a sum of negative stereotypes of South Asians, where Hindus are portrayed as “nonviolent, magical, fastidious, stretchy, and pugnacious”.[10]

1 Like

Oh I’d like a Marvel vs DC video game U.U

Even if Netherealm is the responsible.

1 Like

Sometimes I felt sim is more significant in cultural perspective and references. That would trigger to be the most researched in the internet for being controversial compare to the yester years without the internet that people would just look sim visually than meaningfully. IMHO

1 Like

Exactly
Back to the 70s, 80s or 90s you got some kind of free pass on stereotypes (specially japan got less impacted by political correctness) and SF born on that vibe
SF colorful universe born with a vision of the world not far from a 70ish encyclopedia

Characters that originated back then get more free pass, but a char created today will instant be at risk of stupid internet outrage shitstorm from this or that ethnic/nation people

Good luck at create new wierdos/freaks today in good old SF fashion, with nationality attached to it

Good luck at say in 2019 “hey that’s SF India rep!”

And more and more lol

Example Rashid and Laura (i find both good design) were clearly designed to be marketing likeable, and in the doubt they still somehow chosen for whatever reason to hide Rashid’s specific nationality (UAE)

Nec was a freak but in the cool way, and they still did’nt confirmed him as Atzec/today-Mexico

Fang it’s actually a good SF freak, wich surprised me (and still no specific nationality mentioned, despite obvious China)

They duck nationality (and removed flag, wich was part of “world tour” charm) at any given chance
Falke got 78 bullshit on her, when they just could have made her german and play on that, instead we got silly “safe” hints of a direction and vibe

Marketing interfere much more these days in SF design, artists don’t have anymore the freedom they used to have

On similar vibe both Juri and Menat got theyr design random changed to cover more skin like in these awkward jap vs west full retard anime censorship lol

Not even joking
original Juri (down left)

original Menat (down left)

Essentially follow stupid rules or we will order some nobody to fix your work lol… it fit so much some ways SFV has been developed lol

Problem with that is’nt much get less 3d puppets tits to fap on, i’m even been critical of design easy winning weirdos approvation with waifus…

…thing is these designs were BETTER
Skin in both case was used as one of the main colors and like in every SF design balance of main colors (+secondary ones) is huge part of chara design
At first sight they both used to have much much better visual impact and movement on the line with skin color breaking it more

Fun thing after it wierdos got anyway theyr fappy alts, because gotta get these easy money, but in the meanwhile standard design of two characters still got ruined lol

1 Like

There’s truth to those accusations; some classic Dhalsim traits were retarded looking mannierisms and “Yoga” being like 50 % of his vocabulary:

SFV is the one game that has fully taken out that stupid looking aspect of him and make him look much more serious and bizarre in a good sense, so I doubt he had been rejected by the fanbase. He is now one freak character that isn’t all about over the top goofiness, so I welcome more of that.

Tbh i was speaking about SF2 Sim
But even SFV released today will meet similar bitching

And yet, Sim is one of the most iconic SFers, one of these that scream SF at first sight

Then you get new characters, people bitch about capcom not being able anymore to do good SF design, when they (people) are the ones that don’t know what SF design is

Abel is a boring SF design wtf!!! -> Abel design was PERFECT for SF
Omg Viper is so cool SF design!!! -> Viper was’nt SO bad but did’nt scream SF either, actually wink hard at KoF aesthetic far more than SF one

If we speak about pure character design/concept capcom (or better, some capcom artists) never truly lost theyr touch… maybe a bit in SF3, but that was the new team trying too hard to distance themselves from “classic SF”
Ironically best of SF3 chars were the ones that followed the most SF traditional vibe

1 Like

Menat’s outfit designs were all over the place anyway. Some of her outfits covered a lot more flesh than others.

Juri truly does look like a last minute change, where rather than change her existing outfit, they quite literally just stuck a black undersuit into her design to hide previously bare flesh. You also didn’t mention Laura, who received the same black undersuit treatment as Juri.

That is debatable.

I’m not a bit fan of either version of Juri’s outfit, though the original art looks better than the final model. While the original art fits the character, it is still not that good of a design. The concept art leg cut-outs are as silly as the final model’s “unzipped, but with a fully body suit under it” look. Some of the other concept arts looked better than either the final model or the final concept art.

I could go either way with Menat. The much more bare midriff concept art looks fine, but the final costume works for her as well.

Laura might have been improved by her censorship, as the “butt window” pants looked silly (and the excuse for it in the art book was even worse.)

2 Likes

Yeah the black latex thing was silly. Capcom has even done this type of suit before. Maybe combofiend poisoned their minds with what was going on SJW wise in the U.S. and they changed the costume. Just like they did with Mika’s intro.

What’s the explanation they gave for Laura’s butt window?

I’m in the minority, but not bothered by Juri’s black undersuit to be honest, I mean, maybe it could have been altered somewhat to have some accents on it, but I think it looks better than all the goofy cutouts. Juri’s hot, I dig how she looks, but I think it looked like it was trying to hard in the original. A happy medium would be to have the black suit parts for the legs and thighs and maybe some lowcut top.

As for Menat, I never knew her outfit was altered, but again, I think it looks better in the final result. As it is presented in the original, I think it looks incomplete with her whole outfit being dynamic and then so much of the midsection being shown. If it was a bit lower and still showe off her midsection like a crop top of sorts that could work, but to me, just making it a bikini doesn’t work as well. Also, the final symbol added to her bellybutton area works, I’m pretty used to that.

3 Likes