The Super Inevitable Street Fighter V Story Thread

Which also described Ed, right up until Capcom added him as a playable fighter anyway.

2 Likes

What he needs is a specifically designed weapon with yoyo like properties that is made also to channel soul power.

Yet the problems as we introduce this kind of character is that when Capcom starts doing alternative costumes with ordinary yoyo on it, then they start doing other characters that would used also household items which becomes meh. Guns and knife isn’t something really destructive in SF then we see yoyo…

Yet he should be more soul power than yoyo. It’s like making a character good in cooking and using frying pan or any household items as a main tool for fighting in SF… because it got anime reference and it’s cute? lol

and also introducing those concepts are having a warrant for a future characters that special revolves psycho powered or SNH powered vacuum cleaner that absorbs souls (I know there is an anime reference of it).

In process sf reality would be loss in translation and it’s appeal of characters starts to be a generic anime fighter or a parody thing because those were cute for the currents trend. Many here dislike the idea of Area, Remy and Ingrid… but now into something like this?

Rose use a silk scarf
Menat use a light crystal ball

Ironically next to these even a normal wood or metal yoyo will be the most “weapon” object of the SP group as striking impact lol

It does’nt need to be a “weapon yoyo” or adapted in some way, for how i see it is up to the user being able to charge SP into it, to give it a weapon-like power

The concept they developed already (so it will be far from a first in SF) with Rose/Menat is that these objects are indeed NOT weapons, but become powerful due the Soul Power the person is able to infuse on them

Rose’s scarf is a normal silk piece of cloth, but it can pack a big punch, support Rose weight, become hard af in drill shape, electrify enemies etc only because the SP Rose is able to charge into it

The same concept is visible in Menat

The whole Rose and Menat thing are wizards that used their ki which are essential in sf. Fortune telling, hobies or household objects isn’t were their power revolves into, but their supernatural abilities and nature.

How many dislike thw concept of Area, Remy and Ingrid now validating this feels meh. They are in fact more valid in SF than a skilled yoyo guy even it is enhanced with soul power.

The guy can be a fighter but not with fancied yoyo special moves. Just discard the yoyo thing and made him a male rose as he grows up later.

Couple of comments.

First of all they really need to finish the CFN profiles. There are a boat load of characters left. At least 20 or so more Id say. Maybe theyre planning to carry on as part of SF6 but the lack of completion is really annoying.

I would personally hate maggio for two reasons. Firstly Im tired of all these new characters related to other characters. Why not just a random Italian dude with no links to Rose or Avril or whatever. If they HAD to do a character related to Rose how about hers ans Bisons Master or whatever.

Maggios design atm looks pretty shitty. Before uriens suit reveal and ed would have liked either a lightweight italian boxer inspired by Rocky or a sicilian ganster wearing a suit. He could even be a Balrog replacement in the 4 shadowloo bosses kind of like how Fang replaced sagat.

Lastly we need reps from other places. More africans, someone from scandinavia. An australasian, indomalaysian, more central/south americans etc.

3 Likes

The yo-yo seems like an overt nod to Joseph Joestar’s clacker balls being infused with hamon

(apologies if someone mentioned this already)

5 Likes

Area being an inventor using mechanic gadgets to compensate lack of fighting ability was more or less the only part likeable of her to me, i hated the whole rest of her
Essentially acceptable concept (to some extent not far from C.Viper) but applied on a terrible character design, imho one of the very worst SF ever seen

Remy is not even in the same group, he was a straight normal SF character concept wise.
In his case problem was still in chara design leaving SF style to wink heavy at KoF style, to the point of feel out of place next to other SF3 sprites
Actually if they followed theyr early “hippie” concept for him i will have liked him, aside specials/supers being a bit bland

Ingrid was a char completely out of SF style, just to please who love that kind of design, with slapped on a quick made up theory motivation for lil anime gurl causing galactic explosions.
The “guest” nature of the character was evident, not even trying much to blend into SF universe in an harmony way… tbh glad they straight removed her from SF canon

I don’t like much Menat and i will eventually not like much Maggio if happen to be playable and be like i thought they could develop him.
But in both case it’s about me prefer actual fighters rather than they not fitting SF

But i will still recognize a solid line of character designs being coherent with each other, following a path they started long ago with Rose and recently Menat

Same way i dislike the idea of another ansatsuken char, but i will recognize the coherence behing give him some form of hadouken as visual link to his style/school

Explaining the coherence or fitting of something should not be confused with being a fan of it

It’s about keep separated understanding of concept/design and personal taste

Humble Bundle is offering the Undisputed Street Fighter book in their current comic bundle. Anyone here have it? It is worth owning?

2 Likes

Also need a shaolin monk in SF. Surprised we havent had one already.

4 Likes

Which is good than a character that romanticize and sensationalize a yoyo skills as the spotlight.

We just need to wait for the kid to grow up!! That his soul power are more essential to his ways than the yoyo as the highlight.

the disliking and invalidating those characters like area, remy and ingrid. While the kid maggio gets a pass? because of yoyo skills and anime reference is kinda lead to nowhere using the same logic explained.

Personally I quite like Remy as a design. Just not fond of his moves.

While i will 110% support it, the real problem is how they’re moving story vibe on a different direction from the good old martial arts tournament, where almost every char join the scrap on his own legs with his own uniqueness and reasons without much duty aside bring variety… and the design logic was mostly about “what SF still lack as whole cast” rather than how to build mini groups

In SFV defense the started in old school vibe with

Nec, Rashid, Laura and Fang

Sure Laura link to Sean but she rep (in SF way) Brazil infinitely better than Sean or Blanka… her design nail it on so many levels

These 4 jumped in in a SF2ish way

2 Likes

I agree with the above. SF should always design characters based on martial arts and less on anime imo.

Some of my favourite characters like dudley, eagle, adon, makoto is because their lore is - relatively speaking - realistic. Its also why I actually quite like Hakan.

Edit. I should add there are tonnes of fighting styles still not explored in SF.

4 Likes

No idea what a “pass” is, when i straight said i will prefer him to not get the slot lol

If somebody state that he CAN’T be a character (specially after Menat inclusion) i disagree.
Yoyo skills in that context is just as Menat and her artistic gymnastic ball skills, if as capcom hint he got SP too is really same shit

If somebody said to dislike him as personal taste, we are on the same boat

Same was for Area (only that i disliked Area’s design lot more)

For Remy and Ingrid was more about lack of coherence with SF style, wich is another thing even if it lead to same result of not liking the chars

Fun thing is i even said i’m actually open to give Remy a SFV slot if they can fix some things of him
France+Savate is a perfect start point for a SF char, and SF3 designs got huge reboot (better or worse) in SFV
Biggest problem will be change his moves to fit a game that already have Guile and Nash

Menat is in a very different area she along with Rose and other mystical and supernatural as her spotlighy not someone skilled in yoyo as a main tool to fight the likes Shadaloo?

I’m not sure what a regular yo-yo would offer the game.

I saw mostly two types of yo-yo users when making that list earlier. The characters that you might consider a dedicated yo-yo user would tend towards visibly gimmicked yo-yos. Yoko’s yo-yo extends blades and grows in size. Bridget’s yo-yo grows in size, can hover in place, works as roller-skates, and transforms into a stuffed bear. The characters that used “normal” yo-yos were not dedicated yo-yo users, they used multiple weapons and just happened to include a yo-yo in their toolkit.

The obvious conclusion is that regular yo-yos are boring. Functionally, they just give a character longer range. But gimmicked yo-yos don’t really fit Street Fighter. (Even if Street Fighter is the series where Rolento hopped around on his staff like Scrooge McDuck, and Mika had half of a wrestling ring magically slide into and out of the screen both her intro and multiple mid-match moves.)

Okay, a Soul Power user could do fancy stuff even with a “regular” yo-yo. You can get away with hard hits, and even justify hovering. But thinking along those lines, you get Menat. Menat’s orb already functions pretty similar to a theoretical magic yo-yo. It extends her physical attack range. It can be fired for long range shots that hover in place until either recalled or detonated. The EX attack grabs the target and pulls them toward Menat. Her V-Triggers summon multiple orbs that can be fired off, similar either to attacks that use multiple yo-yos or to attacks that hit multiple times. Her CA involves hitting the victim repeatedly with the orb, somewhat similar to the idea of repeatedly hitting someone with a yo-yo.

Menat’s orb is even round like a yo-yo. It is larger than a yo-yo, but if Capcom ever made a yo-yo fighter, that character’s yo-yo would be drawn larger than a real yo-yo as well for visual reasons.

2 Likes

The perfect SF character formula to me it’s ever a good mix of

• 50% martial arts source (existing fighters tribute, existing martial styles, archetype of fighters type)
  • 50% anime interpretation of some culture concept (east/western pop culture, nationality, traditions, stereotype, archetypes of people etc)

ps: one you made was perfect list of character to mention, they’re exactly the kind of characters i will ever welcome in SF

Menat is likely physically weaker than him and fight “the likes Shadaloo” with a much weaker tool, a crystal ball
That’s because she got SP, wich they hinted him to have too

Menat got direct reveal, so we got to known from begin her abilities
CFN on him did’nt wanted spoil his full abilities

His case (as @Baines pointed out) it’s much closer to Ed original CFN, where they keept his potential purposely hidden

Thing is aside CFN hint he’s learning it, we don’t know about his SP current level, we just know they’re both apprentices of Rose in the path of learning SP/Fortunetelling (in the “mystical/supernatural”)

His SP could be minimal or it could be similar to Menat’s
He could never end up playable or he could end up in and being more or less overall equal of her, kinda like Falke joined Ed in S3

Of course in second case it will mean he got strong enough SP and skills to offer the same level of challenge posed by Menat
They don’t even need to be equal at everything, SF history is full of characters linked and presented as equals even having different points of strenght
Example Menat could have better control of SP for projectiles and shit, Maggio being unable to do distance (beyond the rope range) but more dynamic/better combos

As now no reason to consider it a strong possibility as an udon comic have no relevance as far i know, but if happen seem perfectly in line with what they hinted

Yeah but i’m not the one doing the concept, i’m guessing the route they can take based on elements we got… wich on the SP side are that Rose’s scarf it’s just a normal scarf, Menat’s sphere it’s just a a normal crystal sphere, the gimmick they got is add azure “magic” over these objects
If they stick to that his yo-yo gimmick will be it having azure SP “magic” fire all over it when it attacks.

Another could be that Rose and Menat already show differencies in theyr use of SP, same probably apply with a third style if they add him to the game

Agree on possible similarity with Menat risk, but considering she got a pretty unconventional and “bound” take on combos, they could easily go on more classic combo char doing flashy spinning shit multi-hitting tricks and being overall more dynamic i guess

To be fair, a skinny boy who - as far as we know - can only play yo-yo could nowhere be stronger than a slightly older female who clearly trains hard in gymnastics. But then again, we’re discussing about nothing. Look at what an UDON cover got we speaking about. AN UDON COVER, dammit. And we’re all treating it as if it could somehow become canon.

7 Likes

In his defense it’s fucking Kiki, as soon actual capcom chose to give it a try he will probably end up looking closer to ASF Ed built wise… any male concept ever get free roids as soon it touch SFV :smiley:

Btw yeah lol, as said Udon (or even CFN) don’t guarantee anything, specially because i think S4 will get Rose

I think make no sense add a not-so-likeable new char, when for very related role they got an estabilished waifu with existing fanbase, who happen to even be a good character while at it

My take on this is simply give me this
immagine