The Super Inevitable Street Fighter V Story Thread

Kage Story Mode

4 Likes

sigh Fucking Evil Ryu again.

I guess giving him a different name is a slight improvement. Even though that name is literally just Japanese for ā€œShadowā€.

I hate him. He looks dumber than ever.

And Iā€™m guessing the only reason they announced all of Season 3 at once was because all the characters showed up in the new intro. Not looking forward to having to wait 10 months to find out who everone isā€¦

4 Likes

I can understand why they call him shadow now. It goes back to Akumaā€™s turbo ending. When he faces against himself (Oni persona) he mentions the shadow.

So instead of calling him Evil Ryu or Satsui Ryu heā€™s now Kage or Shadow.

5 Likes

Who is this Akuma? Has he forsaken the path to Oni? Is this why he retains a more human-like appearance in SF3?

2 Likes

How many ā€œphysical embodiment of satsuiā€ do we need?

5 Likes

So it was Kage messing withn Sagatā€™s mind in Sagatā€™s story. That makes MORE sense.

Also, It seems that Kage doesnā€™t have an ending art for the SF2 ladder. Could this mean that Violent Ken and Evil Ryu in USF2 are mere ā€œguestā€ characters with no canon influence?

3 Likes

Evil Ryu cannot be canon in SF2 or elsewhere, and Kageh is apparently just that - A shadow, a spirit, a thought, He isnā€™t Evil Ryu, or even Eviler Ry. He couldā€™ve been but he existed only in Ryuā€™s or this spirit realm.

Interestingly, this spirit realm or whatever the hell it is connects characters like Bison, Akuma, Rose, Menat, Sagat, and Ryu. They can tap into it and communicate through it via meditation and whatnot.

4 Likes

So the story makes it feel like thatā€™s Ryu finally ridding himself of the SnH in preparation for his SF3 story.

You know, until Shadaloo tries to make a Ryu clone for Bison and Kage ends up possessing it. And then they really are two different characters.

In fact, they should have a scene in, like, the epilogue of the next story mode, where thereā€™s in a secret Shadaloo lab, and the Ryu clone is finally complete. Then Phantom Bison and Phantom Kage both show up to claim it, and they have to fight it out.

2 Likes

Alpha ending:

SF4 ending:

SFV ending:

8 Likes

I love how thereā€™s a discussion about how SF5 isnā€™t really ā€œgoofyā€ or cartoonish compared to previous iterations and it all gets punctuated by the reveal of the goofiest, most cartoony and stupid looking ā€œevilā€ character ever in ā€œKageā€ Ryu.

Sorry, guys but checkmate on that discussionā€¦

SF design has devolved into some real goofy dumb shit

6 Likes

He does have an ending on the SFZ and SFIV ladder. But not an SF2 one. So Capcom isnā€™t considering him an SF2 character, at least for the SFV SF2 ladder.
So, at least now, they arenā€™t taking USF2 Evil Ryu into account. Thatā€™s why I said that they (alongside with Violent Ken) are just guest characters in USF2.

3 Likes

From Capcom Unity ā€“ my guess was pretty much accurate:

The Satsui no Hado is a dark force tied to the more sinister aspects of the human soul, including the hunger to survive, destroy, and conquer. Those who learn to control it become nearly unstoppable, but at the cost of their humanity. Akuma is one of these beings. In the past, Ryu was constantly struggling with keeping the Satsui no Hado at bay. If he was hypothetically unable to control it, Evil Ryu would manifest and bring a dark obsession to the otherwise peaceful Ryu. However, after the events of Street Fighter V: Arcade Edition, Ryu was able to overcome the Satsui no Hadoā€™s temptation to ensure Evil Ryu would never see the light.

However, the Satsui no Hado living within Ryu became sentient and would rise as the entity known as Kage, meaning ā€œshadowā€ in Japanese. Kage lives to prove Ryu is nothing without him and seeks to challenge Akuma and Sagat, two of Ryuā€™s most notorious rivals. Will Ryu succumb to Kageā€™s schemes?

This is a canon character who is the Satsui no Hado expelled from Ryuā€™s body and given form.

3 Likes

So Bisonā€™s entire story arc is about trying to find a body strong enough to contain his power and allow him to wield it fullyā€¦something he has been training decades to do

Meanwhile, the SnH in Ryu can just get puked out and turn into a full corporeal being? Yeah if that ends up legit Iā€™m calling bullshit on this stupidity.

3 Likes

The argument is not that SF5 isnā€™t goofy. Itā€™s that SF has always been goofy.

And, sorry, but Kageā€™s design isnā€™t THAT much stupider than Oniā€™s.

1 Like

lines up to defend Oniā€™s design

Oh noā€¦waitā€¦

I would never do that because his design is stupid and uninspired.

The design for SF has been on a downward slide since the artistic direction of 4. Things have become increasingly stupid and over the top especially attack animations which have become near-parody in many cases. Instead of having impact and power, theyā€™re cartoonish. They lack any kind of legitimacy or grounding.

Of course, #Notall but itā€™s still a trend that has been increasing.

Street Fighter has always had an exaggerated playfulness to its aesthetic but itā€™s been getting cranked up over the years and, honestly, I have seen NO ONE really embrace it or say it makes things better. On the contrary, I know my casual friends think itā€™s stupid compared to MK (which they recognize as over the top and edgy to a comical degree like an Evil Dead movie or Big Trouble in Little Chinaā€¦IE itā€™s roots) or Tekken (who think Akuma is the best heā€™s ever been in over a decade in Tekken 7).

They think the wall splats and goofball shit is out of step with the SFII and SFA they grew up with. They think itā€™s dumb.

I agree.

Itā€™s Onoā€™s influence. He likes goofy shit. Heā€™s said as much. I like the guy plenty but the art direction (gorilla armed fat asses) and tone (goofy shit) are all over the top now and a genuine turn off.

EDIT:

Also to your point that Kage isnā€™t that much stupider than Oniā€¦

Yeah that is EXACTLY the point. Throughout SF4 and SF5 we keep getting things that arenā€™t THAT MUCH stupider than something beforeā€¦but Oni was ALREADY a point of stupidity and now Kage is beyond THAT. When you keep building on things but only making them A LITTLE stupider, eventually you compare what was there at the beginning and whatā€™s there now and realize thereā€™s a HUGE gulf in just how stupid one is compared to the other.

3 Likes

Kage and Oni just look like Japanese/Eastern representations of demons as seen in their art for centuries.

Iā€™m not buying that Kage has a true physical form. Heā€™s a spirit, a silhouette, shadow whatever. The name says it all.

2 Likes

So for the first time in SF5, I wonā€™t be getting the season pass. Iā€™m not paying for evil versions of characters already in the game, and even though the season pass is basically ā€œbuy 5 characters, get the 6th freeā€ for all I know, fucking Violent Ken(now called Rage, pronounced Rah-gay) will also be in this pass.

Fair enough.

Yeah but having demons in SF was already stupid as fuck.

3 Likes

Yes and when something looks ā€œjust likeā€ something it means itā€™s an uninspired design

Instead of being inspired and taking queues, theyā€™re just copying ā€œinspirationā€ wholesale. There is NOTHING interesting about Kageā€™s design. They could have easily fixed a bunch of his issues by making his hair look reminiscent of hornsā€¦or hell, shred his headband so it floats around his head in a ā€˜horn-likeā€™ manner.

The underbite is ALWAYS going to look stupid. It looks dumb and like heā€™d talk with a bunch of spittle flying out like a brain-dead orc. Itā€™s indefensible if youā€™re trying to make a tough looking, fearsome bad guy. It isnā€™t going to work with the rest of the design.

Yup. Instead of ANYTHING being proverbial or the likeā€¦NOPE! Akuma and Ryu LITERALLY become demons. Wow, SF teamā€¦SUPER imaginative there. Not on the nose and dumb AT ALL. Great job. Thumbs up.

ā€¦idiots

2 Likes

ā€œYeah, you can die, but that doesnā€™t mean you have to stop training just because of that!ā€

1 Like

Kage to R. Mika: ā€œRainbows donā€™t shine in hellā€¦ā€

6 Likes