The Super Inevitable Street Fighter V Story Thread

It’s at 1:48

1 Like

Hmm, yeah, that’s a nice touch. Wish they did that with all the characters that appeared in A3.

1 Like

I hope that when Rose does appear in SFV, she gets her A3 theme. I honestly prefer it to her normal theme. Sound more mystic and hopeful.

7 Likes

Even if it’s not her A3 theme, let’s hope parts of it are in just like Karin and Balrog.

1 Like

I just want original themes TBH. Most of the SF2 themes have really lost their charm and it’s high-time we get new ones or at least remix non-SF2 ones. Personally I wouldn’t mind seeing Reflections (Chun-Li A3) and Funky Bay (Ken 2nd Impact) again.

Now shafting the music topic away and moving on to something actually related to this thread, I want to ask about Vega’s/Claw’s/Balrog’s backstory because I hear that several parts of it aren’t canon and were added in. So what’s the canon take on Vega’s backstory?

2 Likes

I always love the theme stronger in SFEX it’s still part of my FG playlist, along with geese in mustard, vortex in underground, moonlight wilderness, tons cvs2 and etc. SFEX colors were so vibrant along with it’s stage compared to it’s sequel.

I used to troll wolvie players in our local arcade with Dan paired with spidey. That was before the internet were a thing so people here had to really to land conventional widespread combo which is predictable. When using Dan all I do want is to land a HK either standing or from air then cancelled it to his super which has very devastating damage. Then usual players here during that time cannot tech throw so spamming twice or thrice with his throw via his HK is also possible before the player can realize he can mashed or tech.

The best ost for me in MVS was captain america and cyber akuma.

SFA3 and SF3 series machine was very niche in our locals before unlike Mahvel games, SFEX and DS. KOF was widespread popularity later because it’s cheap and has flashy mechanics. Im not a regular into KOF machines.

1 Like

It seems so.
As far as I know, Ryu’s master (later called Gouken) was said to be killed only by Gouki/Akuma. Sagat killing him is only implied. And I really don’t know where Vega/Bison killing Gouken came from (besides Masaomi Kanzaki’s manga). They fought in Vega’s SFZ1 backstory, but Vega just defeats him (Gouken held back and didn’t show Vega the secrets of ansatsuken).

And yet, Capcom can’t decide if Ken’s eyes are brown or blue…

This. Actually, her (not canon) storyline is about Vega stealing one of her crests and using it as the core of the Psycho Drive. He never stole her power and renamed it as Psycho Power as the overseas version of the story says.

Hum, can you be more specific about what you want to know about Balrog/Vega’s backstory?

1 Like

To be specific, several sites and videos point out how the whole story of Vega’s mother and stepfather might not be canon. So, obviously, my question is: Is that whole story about Vega’s parents canon?

Ken consistently had brown eyes until Street Fighter IV. Even in Street Fighter IV, it is only the 3D model that has blue eyes; Ken has brown eyes in the 2D artwork and the animated ending. Then you get the reverse issue in SFV. The Bengus artwork has Ken with blue eyes, while the 3D model returns to brown. But the Bengus art is arguably early work, and doesn’t always reflect the official SFV state of a character. (See Ed in particular, but also elements like Juri’s outfit.)

You could write the whole thing off as a simple, temporary mistake if it weren’t for the blue-eyed Smash Ken…

Not that Capcom seems content with hair colors either. 2D SF games changed hair color based on palette choices, and things aren’t completely stable even once reaching 3D, as SFV Ken vs SSBU Ken shows. (At least Ken isn’t like Chun-Li, who has had seemingly every shade possible between light brown and solid black, even within her SFV costumes alone.)

5 Likes

Well, the new plot guide have a section for Balrog/Vega translated from All About Capcom:
Balrog/Vega SF2’CE/HF
“The following plot has been added… Born as the only child to a rich ugly father and a beautiful mother of ruined nobility. He inherited his notions from his parents. The abnormal obsession for beauty originates from his mother; whom he thought was very beautiful, and his hatred for ugliness stems from his father: when he became traumatized as he witnessed his father murder his mother. Whether it be his failing opponent or a Bull, he hardly see’s a sense of value or purpose in either. In his ending he is confident that beauty and strength are what drive the world, and it renews his determination to purge the world of everything that is ugly.”

Now, this section usually is a collection of events published by Capcom in many Mooks/Books.
The old plot guide have a translation of the SF2’CE backstories, but the translations aren’t really clear:
"Balrog from Gamest SF2D

Attachment Towards Beauty

As a boy there was a kind sweet ambience in his rewarded face. Hanging down from shoulder height, an eternally supple blond. As a slender one wanting a wealth of flexibility, that was tightened with a wasteless body. In this way, he seemed to be in the sight of men as well as women, now entering the fight and changing into a different person who would have the supposition of an advantage?
That man’s name is Balrog. Carrying his body as a ninja and possessing a pointed claw the hot cyclone of Spain. Appreciating only the superbly beautiful things, the existence of ugly things never permitted masked young noble.
His abnormality towards “beauty” to say of course embracing with utmost persistence, a tragic lifetime sent from his mother originating in poured favortism. She being the daughter of a proud distinguished family, for the sake of her ruined house of birth, the miserable woman was made to marry a wealthy but unsightly man and reputable father. From that recoil, regarding what is beauty she would have what came to be an unusually strong persistence. That influence on the couple’s distance resulted in the first and last child, naturally it happened to be Balrog.
For him it would seem that having inherited Mother’s pronounced looks it was possibly unfortunate to have been born. Why then consider his mother’s bearing on himself, that which was driven into him when young is the insert of merited appearance. The attachment towards beauty of course.

Prey Pursuing Fighting Young Noble

As for his attachment towards beauty, from the time of childhood interest placed on hunting strengthened at an increasing extent. However with prey in desperation fleeing would be rather than resisting, it would be powerless before the beautiful and also the strong ones. He was always this type with a trifle superiority complex accompanying with ability while feeling the gun’s trigger. But with the companion growth, truly nonresisting prey came out of recollections. His becoming desire turned to even more resistant prey.
As for his solution to that, pursuing of directly resistant prey, striving, previously having trifled with them he trampled upon the fighting moves he wanted. And for that, more than hunting satisfied his atrocious superiority complex.
Taught during childhood days from an Oriental ninjutsu, which ought to be a light wonder, agility combined with the disbursed fluent sequential moves from the body was a phenomenal powering up. With that excess splendor, among his numerous slaughtered prey, absentmindedly he was fascinated by those if only they were standing at their limit. But for such opponents he never once offered sympathy. As the strong are always the beautiful, the defeated are always ugly. He takes the ugly to exist with no merit
and such with nothing but meaninglessness.
And so nowadays with his self-beauty confirmed, in order to erase those pigs from this earth, he proceeds with the struggle ready to challenge at places of competition holding fools. To strike firsthand at the filthy prey with a defending claw, for the times of the dirty-looking prey’s returning blood a mask is used to shun it, born is the warrior Balrog, again spending refined moments trembling in delight."

So, there you have it. I really don’t know from where Balrog seeing his father killing his mother came from. Could it be from “Hadoken no Nazo/Mysteries of the Hadoken” book? Maybe. I wonder if Balrog killing his father is canon though.

Either that, or he wears contacts LOL.
If memory serves me right, the same thing happened with nash, originally de had brown eyes, then it became blue in Zero 3.

Guys, expect the second part of the SF1 translations on Saturday. Sorry that I’m kinda behind with those.

7 Likes

With the whole thing about Ken having brown eyes for most of his gaming carrer up until the 3d Model for SFIV were they got blue, I was reminded of another subtle difference that Capcom sometimes alluded to during the SF2 days between Ken and Ryu, and one that I which they re-took in his 3d model for SFIV, what I mean is that during SF2 days Ken was sometimes portrayed with his gi closed considerable higher than Ryu’s.

9 Likes

@Lord_Vega
Thank you so much.

More interesting in that picture is that Dictator very definitely isn’t anything close to Caucasian; his skin tone darker than Sagat’s and pretty close to Boxer’s.

2 Likes

That’s from when he looked Asian.

1 Like

Bison passed from looking chinese, to thai to european to thai again, to Raul Julia lol

He’s ethnically ambiguous to match his everlasting and ever changing evil form.

4 Likes

TBH Bison can believably be:
-White
-Chinese/Thai/Japanese etc
-Indian/Pakistani/Bengali etc
-Arabic
-Hispanic
-Gypsy
The list goes on…

Basically anything except Black. Though his VA is black IIRC.

Raul Julia Bison = Best Bison, and I’m not even joking!

@ShockDingo is the best Bison

Edit: Skip to 1:56 embed didn’t carry over the time stamp

9 Likes

Lord Marshall is best Bison